Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3212 Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLand View Post

Thanks deegggo for sharing your experiences. I have a question, as I understand it the speaker remapping (together with other techniques) would allow sounds to be heard all around you. Even if you sit back against a wall, sounds would seem to come from behind you anyway.
Can you comment on this?

I have my R-972 in my bedroom with my (two-way bookshelf) surround speakers on each bedside table. My surround speakers do indeed sound as though they are placed well behind the headboard/wall.

dream in algorithms

twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3212 Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post

I also have my listen position against a back wall due to neccessity. I've heard good things about Axiom audio's surround speakers for this less than ideal situation...

they have at 45 degrees to front, and also drivers positoned top and bottom... the geometry reminds me of a pair of mains my granddad had - and father still uses. re-coned. the brand was/is human - I've never heard anything better.

I plan on picking up a pair of them soon - the axiom's that is...

In my main listening room, I use a full set of Axiom speakers, including a pair of QS8 for my surrounds. I concur with your statement, they deliver an extremely immersive experience, transmitting sound in four directions. The rear soundstage is wide and seems to go on forever. I highly recommend these speakers. Mine are currently driven by a Harman Kardon receiver, but I am curious to hear how Trinnov could heighten the experience.
post #33 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Noah katz and GlennQNYC for you input.
I think too that it is a hard task to manage, but am intrigued to hear it´s attempts in reality. I hope Trinnov really is a step up from Audyssey (not that Audyssey isn´t good, it really is).
post #34 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I had no trouble performing the update - luckily still have some old computers with serial ports and cords to go with....The R-972 has a female plug. I was able to run in on Win 2K.
It has resolved the issue of losing video when I come in and out of setup but still having issues with the video scaling. 480 p up to 720p is stable and to 1080i mostly stable. 480p to 1080p is still unstable - flickering, going in and out. Jeff has been very helpful and we are still working on it via e-mail.
I also have a Samsung Blu Ray player and have had no issues with it whatsoever playing blurays, streaming netflix or pandora.
My couch is basically in the middle of the room as our great room opens up on the kitchen so my surround backs are truly behind the listening position on the couch.
I was considering the Axiom QS8's on the R-972 but was worried about the impedence. They are 4 ohms and the manual warns to stay at 6 or greater ohms. However the R-772 manual says the same thing and Axiom wrote me that they have run QS-8's on those models that they currently sell.
post #35 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have Axiom QS8 and they are 6-ohm speakers not 4-ohm. Look at the specs tab. http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs8.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #36 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Woops, confused I was thinking of front speakers - the M80 v2 floor models....sorry
post #37 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yep, those are 4-ohm.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #38 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
deegggo,

"I also have a Samsung Blu Ray player and have had no issues with it whatsoever playing blurays"

Good to hear, thanks.

Is there a setting for it to just pass through SD DVD video so the player can do the upconversion?

Noah
post #39 of 3212 Old 09-22-2009, 04:08 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"how many have the sofa in the middle of the room? "

I swing mine out from a side wall to the middle, but you're right, most people probably have it against the wall.

I'm sure Trinnov will improve it, but that's a tough nut to crack and likely not going to match the ideal setup.

heh...I do as well:

The numbers are for the order of the listening seats, for when I had an Audyssey question.

Kitchen is behind the left side speaker, the bottom opening is into there, as well as a breakfast bar area. The upper opening goes to the dining room. The rear opening is the hallway. The square between 2 and 3 is a marble stand, for our drink coasters, etc.
post #40 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM

regarding 4 ohm speakers... I believe that based on something to do with the way UL listings are governed, most recievers are listed for use with 8 ohms speakers, even if they are adequate for driving 4 ohms speakers.

I know this is the case with the r-872... in fact, axiom (& Alan Loft) recommended the sherwood r-872 for their 4 ohm m-80's and sells them on their site. I also concur with previous poster that the surrounds (and all current axiom spreakers besides the m-80's) are 8 (maybe or 6 ohm) speakers anyway...
post #41 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Is there a setting for it to just pass through SD DVD video so the player can do the upconversion?
My reading of page 59 in the manual (which I have extracted and attached) suggests it should be possible to completely bypass the Reon processor, with HDMI and component inputs, by setting the "Video Scaling" to "Bypass".

OTOH, confirmation by an actual user would be much appreciated...

R-972(A)_ENG_090225_page59.pdf 48.404296875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R-972(A)_ENG_090225_page59.pdf (48.4 KB, 2 views)
post #42 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I read this to say you want your SD-DVD player - presumably with 1080P upscaling feature - to do the upscaling instead of the sherwood's REON processor ...

Wouldn't you assume that the REON processor would do a better job? - (my upscaling dvd player was free with the purcahse of the LCD, so maybe that's why I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just assume the reon was better!)
post #43 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I read this to say you want your SD-DVD player - presumably with 1080P upscaling feature - to do the upscaling instead of the sherwood's REON processor ...

Wouldn't you assume that the REON processor would do a better job? - (my upscaling dvd player was free with the purcahse of the LCD, so maybe that's why I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just assume the reon was better!)

I would be very happy if the bypass mode works as advertised. I have an Oppo 983 which IMO does a significantly better job of upscaling than the REON. (I've had both in my system for comparison.)
post #44 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I read this to say you want your SD-DVD player - presumably with 1080P upscaling feature - to do the upscaling instead of the sherwood's REON processor ..."

Yes, but in the interest of keeping the question simple I didn't mention that I have a Lumagen Vision HDP processor, which may do a better job than the Reon.

And as always a good VP chip does not guarantee a good implementation.

Noah
post #45 of 3212 Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just ordered one through John (AVS username bioforce) at Summit Audio Video at a nice get-the-word-out price.

He said a big shipment has come into L.A. and they're busy upgrading the firmware, which was apparently something Trinnov wanted to be added; John didn't know what functional changes there were, if any.

I hope to have it week after next.

Noah
post #46 of 3212 Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
As far as has been known from other Reon units, the Reon is *never* bypassed, only some functionality disabled. There is no easy, manageable way of *bypassing" the video processor in its completeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post

My reading of page 59 in the manual (which I have extracted and attached) suggests it should be possible to completely bypass the Reon processor, with HDMI and component inputs, by setting the "Video Scaling" to "Bypass".

OTOH, confirmation by an actual user would be much appreciated...

post #47 of 3212 Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"the Reon is *never* bypassed"

Perhaps not literally, but if it passes the video bits through w/o alteration, it is effectively so, and was the meaning I had in mind.

Of course this is only possible if the video is bits to begin with, i.e. digital format, which is not the case with all sources.

Noah
post #48 of 3212 Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM

He said a big shipment has come into L.A.

hey john - how about a picture of the loading dock?
post #49 of 3212 Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I just ordered one through John (AVS username bioforce) at Summit Audio Video at a nice get-the-word-out price.

He said a big shipment has come into L.A. and they're busy upgrading the firmware, which was apparently something Trinnov wanted to be added; John didn't know what functional changes there were, if any.

I hope to have it week after next.

I was told the same thing by my dealer. Shipment is in, firmware upgrades are being performed, no confirmation on what's being included in the update though. Shipping by Monday. I also made it a point to ask about scaler difficulties, and after checking with his contact at Sherwood, he's been assured that the scaler is solid. I don't have a need for 480p to 1080p myself (480i to 1080p is a different story), but it'll be one of the first things I test.

Guess I need to make a decision about my speakers and start running some cable to get ready.
post #50 of 3212 Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Hi deegggo. Haven't heard much from ya recently. How's it going with the 972? Any new impressions as you get to know the unit better.

Anybody else out there get their hands on one?
post #51 of 3212 Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, did you get yours yet Noah?

I want my HDTV!
XBL: FNruthless
post #52 of 3212 Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

John told me last Wed that the distributor would have some on Friday (didn't happen AFAIK) or Monday, then he'd go pick it up and ship it.

Still hoping to get it this week.

Noah
post #53 of 3212 Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM

odd - when I got my SW from Axiom Audio, I'm sure it was shipped from California direct to me. But maybe they have an alternative arrangement for the good folks at Axiom to avoid the temporary stop in Canada...

~ note that this was for my previous reciever, not the 972 - I too am excitely waiting for word on Noah's progress...
post #54 of 3212 Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

John told me last Wed that the distributor would have some on Friday (didn't happen AFAIK) or Monday, then he'd go pick it up and ship it.

Still hoping to get it this week.

Hi Noah,

The check is in the mail (LOL)

Not really, but your R-972 "HAS SHIPPED" and I just e-mailed you your tracking numbers.

I had to ship a couple out today so lets hope FEDEX is "gentle", and it gives you some great listening pleasure.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #55 of 3212 Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

He said a big shipment has come into L.A.

hey john - how about a picture of the loading dock?

Hi Scott,

I must have missed this question.

I am too far from SN to be taking pictures (probably 40-50 miles), but Noah and a couple others should be able to post pics in a few days.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #56 of 3212 Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, got my trk#, I expect it'll arrive Thursday.

I'm not worried about shipping damage, assuming it's packed w/styrofoam end caps like the last several receivers I've bought.

Thanks, John!

Noah
post #57 of 3212 Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone is selling a used 972 on Videogon
post #58 of 3212 Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, got my trk#, I expect it'll arrive Thursday.

I've started logging into AVS every hour checking for an update. Really looking forward to your thoughts - I know you won't hold back.

Axiom supposedly has limited supply to ship also. Here's hoping that we finally get some reviews.
post #59 of 3212 Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM

HA - me too!

If I had Katz' tracking number I'd be looking at UPS or FedEx's website every five minutes.
post #60 of 3212 Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

I still have the scaling issues but my firmware update is from July. I have not heard back from Jeff regarding a new one. Other than that it is working fine. I have been working and not playing with it much but I guess the good news is no complaints from the household. I have calibrated it again finding that it is critical to point the red dot on the microphone directly at the TV. Initially I had it aimed at the front of the room and it sounded like all the talk was coming from the fireplace rather than the TV - so positioning of the microphone during calibration I think is critical. It is difficult to position it on your couch at ear level - the bottom does accept the standard screw on a tripod which I have been using. I have everything on my Harmony remote now - most of the r-872 codes worked and no problem learning the few that did not. I'll be interested in others experience when they get them.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page