post #871 of 3210 Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Biskitwheels:

There are many ISP's who block zipped files. You may have be using one.

If it were blocked you would have gotten a bounce back, no? Spoke with Mark at Soundscape and he said you sent the email to HIM, not me. You are not in spam folder either. I get .zips every day (auto database backups).
Quote:

The alternative is to use a cloud based service like You Send It.

Great idea! Though it would be you who uploads it to you send it, so instead of waiting to see if someone can accept your .zips, shouldn't you just have a file up there all the time and send us the link when we need it (or place the link on your website)
Quote:

The current firmware is 1.47. Should anyone need it...

I have been in email contact with Jin. He did not reply to my response to his email (he requested my current firmware, I replied, haven't heard back). There is no way his email is blocked b/c he was replying, and I already got one from him. He said he sent it too. Perhaps you may want to check with your web hosting provider to see if your host server is blacklisted. I am a web project manager and web hosting reseller, so if you provide me with your complete header to the email(from the source code), I'll be able to definitively determine if it's my host or ISP or not. Doubt it's on my end though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 3210 Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Biskitwheels:

I sent you the firmware at 4:00 PM on Monday September 13 roughly two hours after we spoke on the telephone. There are many ISP's who block zipped files. You may have be using one. The alternative is to use a cloud based service like You Send It.

The current firmware is 1.47. Should anyone need it, please drop me a line at: jeff@sherwoodamerica.com

Jeff

I have been using this unit for almost a year now and have gone through all of the configuration and green screen issues that you all have experienced...I am running the firmware update that came out in August and have had NO problems...

Although the unit could be kindly referred to as unstable; the latest firmware has seemingly resolved all of the hdmi handshake issues.

Maybe I am lucky or maybe they have finally fixed it...but the unit is working and sounds great!
post #873 of 3210 Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Jeff at Sherwood was most professional and really cares about his product and the satisfaction of his customers. There's a lot to like about the R972 for sure.

I switched to the new Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage, and right out of the box this one's a winner. For $600 less, it's the right choice for me in many ways. Never owned anything by Yamaha but all systems are go. Vinyl spins once again in my house.
post #874 of 3210 Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sherwood RD-705i Network A/V Receiver

Sherwood America Inc. announced today the RD-705i network receiver which streams Internet audio, including Internet Radio, with 802.11n Wi-Fi ability and compliance with UPnP for home networking. The 7.1 channel dual-zone receiver has HDMI 1.4 capability, making it 3D ready, and the full complement of Dolby and DTS high-resolution audio formats. It provides 100 watts for each of its seven channels of amplification and also offers optional Bluetooth connectivity.

The RD-705i makes streaming Internet audio capability with UPnP in a high-performance audio-video receiver more affordable than ever before. Users can now use their main A/V system to enjoy Internet radio from Pandora, Aupeo, Reciva, Shoutcast and other streaming music services that make available thousands of radio stations from around the world.

Using the RD-705i's included 802.11n Wi-Fi adaptor connection to the Internet is easy allowing users to enjoy music not only online, but streamed wirelessly from digital devices anywhere in their home. The receiver is Windows 7 compatible, and supports 'Play To' control. Setup and integration into existing networks is both easily and quickly accomplished with one-touch setup and UPnP.

Maximizing the playback quality of streaming sources to take advantage of its 192 kHz/24 bit D to A converters, the receiver provides full bit-rate capability for MP3, AAC, WMA and WAV formats.

Bluetooth-enabled audio devices can also be used to stream audio with the addition of an optional plug-in Sherwood Bluetooth adaptor and a USB port. For users with iPod music libraries, Sherwood's optional DS-10 iPod dock provides yet another audio source, adding control of the iPod through its Sherwood DigiLink-I capability.

The RD-705i also features advanced audio-video performance and is fully 3DTV ready, with HDMI 1.4 inputs and repeater circuitry that enables it to process the high-resolution Blu-ray Dolby and DTS format signals received from source components. Its range of Dolby and DTS format capabilities includes DTS 96/24, DTS ES, DTS Neo6, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz.

Totally discrete power amplifiers deliver 100 watts RMS at 8 ohms for each of the receiver's seven channels, at less than 0.2% THD. High-resolution audio quality is assured by 192kHz/24 bit D to A converters for all channels.

Connectivity starts with three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, and includes four composite inputs, two composite outputs, three A/V inputs and two A/V outputs. Audio inputs include one digital coaxial, two digital optical and seven stereo analog, with one analog output available.

Sherwood's automated SNAP™ system performs all system setup and calibration, including room equalization, using its provided test microphone. Bright-sounding sources can be compensated for through a separate Cinema EQ control.

Each input has an adjustable A/V sync control delay for sources where picture and sound are not synchronized. A multi-stage Dynamic Range control can be used for nighttime listening or when neighbors cannot be disturbed.

Second room playback is available with Dual Zone capability, which uses two amplifier channels for stereo playback (leaving the main room in a 5.1 channel configuration). Sirius ready, the receiver also has a 4 Gang Quartz PLL Synthesized FM Tuner and AM receiver, with 30 presets available. Up to 8 components can be controlled by its preprogrammed IR remote control.

The RD-705i has a suggested retail price of $499.95 and is available in November 2010
post #875 of 3210 Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Sherwood Debuts a Pair of Receivers
Mon Sep 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM ET

They're essentially the same, with networking options being the big difference.
Do you want to stream music from Pandora, Reciva, Shoutcast or from your home network? If so, the RD-705i is the receiver for you. If not, you'll be more than happy with the RD-7505.
Sherwood's new amps are practically identical, with the addition of networking capabilities being the biggest difference between the two. Both are 3D ready and both boast HDMI 1.4 inputs with repeater circuitry. Both use discrete power amplifiers capable of 100 watts at 8 ohms and both utilize 192kHz/24 bit DACs.
The pair of Sherwood's AV receivers also include the SNAP system – an automated system that, with the help of a microphone that comes bundled with the receiver, configures the receiver to sound as good as possible in your room.
You'll be able to pick up both receivers in November, with the RD-7505 coming in at $399 and the RD-705i launching at $499.
Source eCoustics
post #876 of 3210 Old 09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

^^jmo
LL
post #877 of 3210 Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice picture of your dinner, buddy!
post #878 of 3210 Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Are there any problems with input switching and/or Trinnov when using coax or optical inputs on this receiver? I'm wondering if I can use this receiver for Trinnov with legacy surround formats and bypass its HDMI switching altogether.
post #879 of 3210 Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Yes. It will switch and do Trinnov with coax/optical inputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #880 of 3210 Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks, Kal. I'm thinking about using one as a pre/pro with my amps. Would be nice to be able to power down some of the receiver's amplifier circuitry, though. I use efficient, cool-running Bel Canto EVo amps for 4 speakers and a Nuforce mono for the center.
post #881 of 3210 Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Liked: 22
so I guess there is no new Sherwood replacement for the 972;
I would have thought they would come out with a newer better version of the 972 with less issues; that could have been a great product
I was very surprised to find out there is no new model
post #882 of 3210 Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

The R-972 took them a long time to develop. Like you, I would expect them to work on a successor that tried to retain the good (Trinnov) while resolving the R-972's problems, but it's been about a year (maybe less) since they started shipping the R-972.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #883 of 3210 Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think, that they lost money on this one, selling rather few numbers of this unit plus they had quite some support issues.
They most certainly will rethink their effort in providing a follow up.
post #884 of 3210 Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still have hopes for the Sherwood I think they will get it right eventually, the problem now is the feature set. It is getting more dated everyday. I still love the sound of my sherwood and also hope they follow up with a better unit.

If I agree with you then we will both be wrong
post #885 of 3210 Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueKNB View Post

I have been using this unit for almost a year now and have gone through all of the configuration and green screen issues that you all have experienced...I am running the firmware update that came out in August and have had NO problems...

Although the unit could be kindly referred to as unstable; the latest firmware has seemingly resolved all of the hdmi handshake issues.

Maybe I am lucky or maybe they have finally fixed it...but the unit is working and sounds great!

I'm considering replacing my P965 with an R972 if I can find one around for a reasonable price. Would you still consider the unit "unstable" after the latest firmware update? If yes, could you elaborate on the issues that are still present? I have a feeling Newcastle is probably at the end of investing any more work into this receiver and want to make sure any existing issues are issues that I can live with. Thanks for you help.
post #886 of 3210 Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM

I would say that the unit is stable...I haven't had a green screen in several months and everything sounds fine...There is a slight delay in audio when changing channels due to the digital signal and takes probably 2 seconds for the volume to come back...I think that this probably occurs on any unit...

I have 2 Krell power amps integrated into the receiver driving my speakers and it sounds great....Overall I am happy with the unit...
post #887 of 3210 Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueKNB View Post

There is a slight delay in audio when changing channels due to the digital signal and takes probably 2 seconds for the volume to come back...I think that this probably occurs on any unit...

Do you mean "any 972 unit" or "any manufacturer's unit"? Because both my Denon 3808CI and my Pioneer 1020 do not have any delay in audio when changing channels.
post #888 of 3210 Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am also looking at R-972 but I want to be sure that the all the bugs have been worked out of the unit & trinnov is fully functional.

Vinod
post #889 of 3210 Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

I am also looking at R-972 but I want to be sure that the all the bugs have been worked out of the unit & trinnov is fully functional.

I hate to say it...but after a year of trying I have finally given up on the R972 and have sent it back to my dealer for a refund...Sherwood tried very hard to resolve all of my issues but in the end I just didn't have the confidence in it and mine was still very fluky. In Sherwood's defense, they claim that the other units out there do not have the same issues as mine...knowing technology it is probably true...I will say this though, if yours works, there is not a better sounding processor on the market...not even close...but it has to work consistently....
post #890 of 3210 Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Liked: 12
RogueKNB, What did you replace the R972 with?

Kemper Holt
post #891 of 3210 Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post

RogueKNB, What did you replace the R972 with?

Marantz AV7005
post #892 of 3210 Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Does the presentation of a properly functioning Trinnov R972 easily surpass the Marantz? Is the 3D and soundstage of a Trinnov system superior to the Marantz? Do you wish your R972 worked consistantly?

Kemper Holt
post #893 of 3210 Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post

Does the presentation of a properly functioning Trinnov R972 easily surpass the Marantz? Is the 3D and soundstage of a Trinnov system superior to the Marantz? Do you wish your R972 worked consistantly?

I believe that a properly operating Trinnov R972 is probably better than the Marantz...but the Marantz does offer airplay which allows us to stream our itunes music directly to the receiver...a very nice feature...plus you can plug your ipod directly into the unit and control it...plus Pandora, etc...

most importantly...it works right out of the box....
post #894 of 3210 Old 12-20-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With all the issues I am hesitant make a jump. R-972 would have been a category killer had everything functioned properly. Where else can you get Trinnov for $1800.00.

Vinod
post #895 of 3210 Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Firmware version 1.47 has fixed all of the issues that I was having with my R-972.
post #896 of 3210 Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM

This is a serious contender for me. Although the GUI is rather poor and there are delays with switching sources, Trinnov is a very desirable feature and there are S-Video inputs. How's the video upscaling? Can Trinnov replace the need for room acoutsical treatments? I love my B&K AVR 202 but need to upgrade to HDMI for my Oppo BDP83. My other choices are HK and Arcam or the new Anthems. Help!
post #897 of 3210 Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John6002 View Post

This is a serious contender for me. Although the GUI is rather poor and there are delays with switching sources, Trinnov is a very desirable feature and there are S-Video inputs. How's the video upscaling? Can Trinnov replace the need for room acoutsical treatments? I love my B&K AVR 202 but need to upgrade to HDMI for my Oppo BDP83. My other choices are HK and Arcam or the new Anthems. Help!

The audio is great with the Trinnov and will probably replace the need for acoustical treatments...just so you know there is not only a delay when changing sources, there is also a 8-10 second audio delay whenever you change a channel on your cable/sat box....
post #898 of 3210 Old 12-21-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

There is no replacement for room improvements or proper treatments.

Only band aids.

IMO, and having owned a 972, there are much more stable options.... If your room needs a lot of help, IMO, you'd be better served, video and audio wise with an Onkyo 3008 or Yamaha A2000.....
post #899 of 3210 Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My other choices are HK and Arcam or the new Anthems. Help!

I would audition the Anthem MRX AVRs
post #900 of 3210 Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FWIW:

FilmMixer did not have the latest firmware in his R-972.

RogueKNB is nearly correct. There is a 5 second delay in audio when you change channels.

Jeff
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page