RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

I thought that I loaded the bass curves in as the unit said update ok, but I can't find them. Where does that select option show up?

What typ44q said.

Your options with any given loaded curve are to increase subwoofer volume, thereby "lifting" FR below crossover, and/or to apply CinEQ to rolloff highs above ~5kHz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post

Once the curve is loaded in, it is automatically applied. There is no selection or option to not use it other than to load a different curve.

Ok, got it. Thanks.
post #1473 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
XJ6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a question about the video scaling on this receiver. If I have it set to upconvert everything to 1080p, such as the cable box but I also have a 1080p source (bluray player) is it doing anything with that 1080p signal or does it ignore it because it is already 1080p?

I really wish you could set the scaling per input.

When I set it to anything other than "bypass" my projector would not get 1080/24p from bluray movies (and yes, I rechecked all other settings on my Oppo 83-SE and they were correct). Apparently in this case, it converted 24p to 60p
post #1474 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have a question for you 972 owners...I'll be getting a replacement for a defunct 972 in the next few days. IF (1) this unit works and (2) Tinnov is as good as many say it is, would there be any benefit with connecting the 972 to my Elite 25 amp (instead of mothballing it)? If so, how is this done properly?
post #1475 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

Have a question for you 972 owners...I'll be getting a replacement for a defunct 972 in the next few days. IF (1) this unit works and (2) Tinnov is as good as many say it is, would there be any benefit with connecting the 972 to my Elite 25 amp (instead of mothballing it)? If so, how is this done properly?

Is your SC-25 a receiver and not an amp? Few, and very few, people would connect 2 receivers in series in their systems. But if you had to do it and your SC25 has ext. ins, you would connect the R-972's pre-outs to your SC25's ext. ins and use it (the SC-25) as a multi channel amp. But now you would have two volume knobs to deal with...
post #1476 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why does this thing go from one commercial playing and showing Dolby Digital EX to the next commercial playing and showing 2.1 channel Pro Logic II with an accompanying audio dropout of a few seconds and then go back to DD EX? Very annoying.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1477 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

Why does this thing go from one commercial playing and showing Dolby Digital EX to the next commercial playing and showing 2.1 channel Pro Logic II with an accompanying audio dropout of a few seconds and then go back to DD EX? Very annoying.

Because between the two commercials, the data stream stops, and the receiver defaults to something else before the stream starts back up again.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #1478 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Because between the two commercials, the data stream stops, and the receiver defaults to something else before the stream starts back up again.

So, is 972 idiosyncratic, or is there a cure? (My Denon 3311CI didn't do this!)

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
post #1479 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
So, does anyone have some type of media player like a Roku or Pivos AIOS?

I have both and can not get sound through HDMI for the Roku, but it works hooked directly to my TV, and I can only see/hear the AIOS if I set it to 1080i or lower as opposed to 1080p. I have no problems with it when it is plugged into the TV either. I have played with various HDMI cables. Thoughts?

Ted
post #1480 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praedet View Post

I have both and can not get sound through HDMI for the Roku, but it works hooked directly to my TV, and I can only see/hear the AIOS if I set it to 1080i or lower as opposed to 1080p. I have no problems with it when it is plugged into the TV either. I have played with various HDMI cables. Thoughts?

Ted

I have Apple TV hooked up w/sound, video. You don't have setting to analog audio?

post #1481 of 3216 Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

No cure I know of, unless you set format to pl2 maybe, this has been noted previously in this thread.
post #1482 of 3216 Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:

I have Apple TV hooked up w/sound, video. You don't have setting to analog audio?

Nope. I get sound and picture for the AIOS via HDMI as long as I have it set to 480p, 720i, 720p, or 1080i. With the Roku I don't get sound no matter what...

Ted
post #1483 of 3216 Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by praedet View Post

Ted

I have a ROKU connected (set to 1080p) and it works fine.

Not sure what a AIOS is...
post #1484 of 3216 Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM

I'm a little frustrated and confused at the moment and could use some help.

I wanted some extra watts for my speakers so bought an external amplifier to add to my system. Everything seemed to be working fine for one bright shining moment...then the problems started.

I can run the system and its fine. Then the next day I have no center channel. So I start trouble shooting and the sound comes back when I swap the interconnect between the Sherwood and amp. Working fine...next day...no center channel. Swap the old interconnect back..working fine...next day no center channel. Seems to be the center channel output connector on the Sherwood..but don't know how to check that.

Next issue is I think I'm smart so I connect the center channel speaker directly to the Sherwood. Center channel works fine...but no sound from the side or surround speakers.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insights would be appreciated.

But, I do LOVE the sound field when its working right.

Thanks for any help.
post #1485 of 3216 Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM

RTP
Not sure how your hook up is but you possibly could try a couple things to pin the problem down a bit. If you can try switching the center channel input on the external with the right or left channel(switch amps is what i am trying to say) and see if the problem follows the center or if the same amp channel quits.
post #1486 of 3216 Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

OK, I think I solved this problem...at least it's still working after 2 days.

The problem seems to come from an unexpected place - the interconnects. The next time I went down, I had lost both rear channels. When I got the amp. I grabbed a pair of medium consumer level interconnects - gold plugs little thicker cable, etc. I had used them on an earlier system and didn't think much about them. When I lost the back channels, in frustration, I pulled out the interconnects and replaced them with standard sets that commonly come with electronics - tin connectors, thin cable - cheap ones. Everything began to work correctly.

Not sure this is really the problem, so I'm going to be checking carefully for the next few weeks. Going to order a whole new set of interconnects from Monoprice.com.

Hopefully, it's fixed and I can get back to just listening to it.

Bob
post #1487 of 3216 Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 13
I assumed he meant just using the sc-25 as an Amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ6 View Post

Is your SC-25 a receiver and not an amp? Few, and very few, people would connect 2 receivers in series in their systems. But if you had to do it and your SC25 has ext. ins, you would connect the R-972's pre-outs to your SC25's ext. ins and use it (the SC-25) as a multi channel amp. But now you would have two volume knobs to deal with...

post #1488 of 3216 Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

I assumed he meant just using the sc-25 as an Amp.

That would be me! I thought I read somewhere that a receiver could be used as a pre/pro. I just didn't / don't like the thought of packing up the SC 25. But then with all the problems I've been reading about this unit, perhaps all of this will be a moot point!!!
post #1489 of 3216 Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

This is a "feature" of the 972.

post #1490 of 3216 Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm69 View Post

This is a "feature" of the 972.

There is a good reason why the price is reduced by 2/3. The double whammy of this unit is if you don't want it for your main room, you won't want it for any other rooms, either. I still have 2 weeks to decide so we'll see.
post #1491 of 3216 Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

The labels for the 3 subwoofer curves were for convenience, only, and do not necessarily indicate which is correct. As Curt has pointed out in the other active R-972 thread, only the target curve for the subwoofer is changed. The unit should not (and must not) be re-set after updating the target curve with the subwoofer level files. Dr. David Rich, then technical editor for the Sensible Sound reported two things that are pertinent for this advanced crowd: 1. He insisted that the curve labeled +6 is actually flat--or at least was in his room. 2. He also suggested that after the data acquisition and filter construction was saved to the AVR, reversing the phase of the subwoofer(s) gave better integration between the main speakers and the sub. While I have not made any effort to compare the in-phase/out-of-phase sound, I do reverse the woofer phase as the final step in the R-972 audio calibration.

Jeff

No room EQ I have tested finds the phase of the subwoofer relative to the main channels. This requires test equipment to determine if the subwoofer phase is correct. A Radio Shack meter and the Stereophile Test Disc 1 should suffice. Use the warble tone on the test disc that comes closest to the subwoofer crossover. Set the volume to achieve a reading of roughly 80dB SPL (this number should swamp room noise, but not be so loud as to require hearing protection). Note the amplitude. Now reverse the phase of the subwoofer and see if the amplitude changes. Retain the setting that achieves the higher SPL.

The test must be done with any room EQ and is not an issue with the R-972. As an aside, the R-972 will correct any phase reversal with the main channel speakers unlike many room EQs.

To achieve optimal performance from a high-end system requires software that displays the response of your room at core listening positioning, especially in the presence of a subwoofer. I use AcoustiSoft RPlusD, which reports the Radio Shack SPL meter can be used as a microphone (OK below 500Hz). There is a calibration file for the Radio Shack meter on the AcoustiSoft site. RPlusD does have a learning curve, but AcoustiSoft's on-line documentation is a great reference. Click on the link Introducing RPlusD Modal Analyzer at the top of the home page. Other, less intensive, test systems may be available. I do not have experience with them. The simpler ones may not allow multiple measurements averaging or may do it incorrectly.

My review of the R-972 is in the Summer issue of the BAS Speaker publication (volume 33). The issue is available as a paper copy or free download on the web. To purchase the issue from the Boston Audio Society, please contact them via the website.

The publication of this review was delayed. The review was originally scheduled for Sensible Sound magazine, but it discontinued publication. I thought another magazine might publish the piece last year but that was not to be. I had to start again with BAS Speaker, which has done a superb job of presenting the figures and text.

David Rich
post #1492 of 3216 Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darich2 View Post

My review of the R-972 is in the Summer issue of the BAS Speaker publication (volume 33). The issue is available as a paper copy or free download on the web.

David Rich

Can you provide a link to were the review can be downloaded?
post #1493 of 3216 Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

Can you provide a link to were the review can be downloaded?

It is not free on the web. The Boston Audio Society spent a lot of time and money taking my manuscript and inserting it into the journal.

They will sell you the full Summer 2011 issue of the BAS journal. You have to write the Boston Audio Society for the price. I think they will then email you the issue as a PDF or mail you a physical copy.

Sorry about the error in my last post.

David Rich
post #1494 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Is anyone actually using the video scaling feature of this receiver? It seems most people have it set to bypass but I was wondering if anyone is using it and with what type of equipment.
My time warner cable box when connected with HDMI or component cables and with the receiver set to auto or 1080p output will only display a picture for a few minutes before I get a half black half snow screen or the signal totally cuts out and I get a signal lost error on the tv.

I have tried to contact sherwood tech support but they have never called me back so I am guessing we are on our own with this thing.

I still have about a week before I can send it back and I keep going back and forth on if I should keep it or not.
post #1495 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

I don't use video scaling, just causes trouble.This avr is all about sound, tech is old and slow and features are short compared to new.That said, it sounds really good.
post #1496 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Is anyone actually using the video scaling feature of this receiver? It seems most people have it set to bypass but I was wondering if anyone is using it and with what type of equipment.
My time warner cable box when connected with HDMI or component cables and with the receiver set to auto or 1080p output will only display a picture for a few minutes before I get a half black half snow screen or the signal totally cuts out and I get a signal lost error on the tv.

I have tried to contact sherwood tech support but they have never called me back so I am guessing we are on our own with this thing.

I still have about a week before I can send it back and I keep going back and forth on if I should keep it or not.

Try 1080i instead. I have the R972 connected to my PJ via HDMI @ 1080i with no issues (older PJ doesn't accept 1080p.) I have two HDMI inputs and two component inputs active. Both HDMI inputs are @ 1080i, the components are at @ 480p and 1080i.

My PJ also has sync issues, so I have my sat box set to output 1080i via component vs. native (720p/1080i.)

Jeff
post #1497 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jss designs View Post

Try 1080i instead. I have the R972 connected to my PJ via HDMI @ 1080i with no issues (older PJ doesn't accept 1080p.) I have two HDMI inputs and two component inputs active. Both HDMI inputs are @ 1080i, the components are at @ 480p and 1080i.

My PJ also has sync issues, so I have my sat box set to output 1080i via component vs. native (720p/1080i.)

My old TV would accept 1080p but the receiver when set to auto was sending 1080i and it was still having the problem.
My new TV also accepts 1080p and the receiver, when set to auto sends 1080p to it and still has the problem.
I have not tried sending 1080i to the new TV.
My cable box is set to send native as the video scaling in it looks pretty horrible.
I also have a ROKU box that is set to 1080p with no issues but I am going to try and set it to 720p and let the receiver upscale it to see what happens.
post #1498 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Is anyone actually using the video scaling feature of this receiver? It seems most people have it set to bypass but I was wondering if anyone is using it and with what type of equipment....

I had some problems with it initially, but now it is working OK, at 1080p.

It works fine with both Roku and Boxee.

For the record, I do not see any major benefit from the running the video through the AVR, other than for switching convenience, since your TV/projector will likely scale things just as well.
post #1499 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

I had some problems with it initially, but now it is working OK, at 1080p.

It works fine with both Roku and Boxee.

For the record, I do not see any major benefit from the running the video through the AVR, other than for switching convenience, since your TV/projector will likely scale things just as well.

Ryan1,

Do the Vudu and Netflix apps work okay with your Boxee? I can stream my network BD rips with no issue (other than the Boxee HD audio bug) but I get a red screen when trying to run Netflix and Vudu. Major PITA since I really like Vudu.

Jeff
post #1500 of 3216 Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by .jss designs View Post

Ryan1,

Do the Vudu and Netflix apps work okay with your Boxee? I can stream my network BD rips with no issue (other than the Boxee HD audio bug) but I get a red screen when trying to run Netflix and Vudu. Major PITA since I really like Vudu.

Didn't try Vudu, but Netflix worked perfectly fine here.

I did give the Boxee away, went back to using my HTPC now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page