:::Flagship yesteryear Receivers?::: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Simple, really.. Are there any Flagship yesteryear receivers that are top notch, but have been replaced by newer models? (for example: I cannot afford to buy the newest Ferrari, but I can afford 2007 model, maybe it does not have leatest and greatest, but its still a Ferrari!). I know I am sacrificing latest technology, surrounds, but my bottom line points me to sound quality. Of course I dont want too outdated! I need major surrounds, at least 5.1 dts, prologic..

Help guys!
Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Of course there are many flagship models which you can acquire for less than they were when they were recent releases.

Look at old reviews, and used gear web sites.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks man!!
post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Perhaps some general idea of the top of your price range would be helpful, no? "I must have this feature and that feature. My dream list also adds such-and-such. I am willing to do without _____. My absolute price ceiling is $yyyy." would give people a real chance to help you out.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, you are right.. I am willing to spend up to $650, so how good of a receiver can I get for this? I can do without hdmi, onscreen menu, front panel hookup.. At least have DTS, ES, newer gen. Prologic.. 5.1 that is all I need!
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki View Post

Hey, you are right.. I am willing to spend up to $650, so how good of a receiver can I get for this? I can do without hdmi, onscreen menu, front panel hookup.. At least have DTS, ES, newer gen. Prologic.. 5.1 that is all I need!

i have had these receivers:

sony strd450z 4.0 reciever with phantom center
pioneer vsx-519 with hdmi
denon 1910 with hdmi and a bit more power and a manual i couldnt read for nothing
yamaha rx-v995 awesome 10 year old reciever best connection was with optical and digital coax
pioneer sc-05 elite back to hdmi

i just got the 05 but i got it for 760 dollars shipped.. and it has a ton of power and all the channel adjustments even on the analog inputs..

it also has all channel pre outs... it probably is my last receiver.. i may not even use the hdmi since the analog channels are so well implemented ( i prefer sending my video directly to the tv to avoid any extra signal issues.

but i am enticed by the lossless audio via digital bitstream from the new ps3 so i may try feeding the hdmi through the reciever.. but we shall see.. cant go wrong for the price though.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Onkyo 805 is the price range. HDMI, Audyssey Room correction,
4X TI PCM1796 Stereo DACs (not the 8in1 junk on the later ones)
Dolby TrueHD DTS-HDM Lossless, 7.1 outputs. (DTS, Dolby Digital too..)

Still available on AMZN
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Great advise guys!! Thank you!! Any chance of getting les known receivers that are in hi end spectrum? Maybe I am stretching my request, brands like Mcintosh, or Lexicom? I should check ebay

Thanks again!
post #9 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
if your goal is to have SQ during movie playback then you are not really going to have the best Movie experience going this route and you should just stop now.

If its just music then proceed

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #10 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha!! I will stop then.. I weighted the pros and cons, and I am better off buying a new model receiver like Denon with the latest and greatest, my setup will be home theater
Thanx
post #11 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Gotcha!! I will stop then.. I weighted the pros and cons, and I am better off buying a new model receiver like Denon with the latest and greatest, my setup will be home theater
Thanx

10s have nothing much different then 09s, what do you think is different between the 4310 and the 2809 besides over $1000??

post #12 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

I believe Penngray was hinting more along the lines of going with separates if you want the ultimate in SQ. You need a pre/pro and then a separate amplifier to do it that way.

Verum postulo res.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

I believe Penngray was hinting more along the lines of going with separates if you want the ultimate in SQ. You need a pre/pro and then a separate amplifier to do it that way.

Not really

I do not believe pre/pros vs AVRs has any big differential wrt Home Theater. I have put the 2809 up against two popular pre/pros and it did just fine as a pre/pro. I wont argue why separate amps are needed because every situation is unique.

My point is that he shouldn't even remotely be considering spending this much money when his speakers are not "flagship" calibre speakers to start with. Its wasting a lot of money on electronics for nothing. Im saying the $700 Denon 2809 choice will have the SQ and the features of the 4310 when we are discussion Home Theater performance in a single room. The difference would be very hard to prove (subjectivity not withstanding).

post #14 of 17 Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Not really

I do not believe pre/pros vs AVRs has any big differential wrt Home Theater. I have put the 2809 up against two popular pre/pros and it did just fine as a pre/pro. I wont argue why separate amps are needed because every situation is unique.

My point is that he shouldn't even remotely be considering spending this much money when his speakers are not "flagship" calibre speakers to start with. Its wasting a lot of money on electronics for nothing. Im saying the $700 Denon 2809 choice will have the SQ and the features of the 4310 when we are discussion Home Theater performance in a single room. The difference would be very hard to prove (subjectivity not withstanding).

that is an excellent point penngray... you have to have high end speakers to hear most of the subtle differences that you get when you get in the higher line. the point of diminishing returns seem to set in pretty quickly when it comes to hardware. i have mythos from definitive and i feel now that i am underspeakered with the sc-05.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 AM

start and end your hunt with a Marantz SR-14EX.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!
post #17 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM

If your budget is $650 and your primary interest is home theater, I'd probably get something newer that's capable of handling lossless audio over HDMI. Sure, you could get a pre-hdmi flagship (from one of the "mainstream" manufacturers) for that price, but the benefit of HDMI could very well be greater than the benefit of nicer amplifiers (unless your room is huge and you like your movies really loud).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page