post #451 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

You know I'm addicted when my 7.1 F/L/Surrounds/Backs are all tower speakers with the fronts and surrond backs with powered woofers and have 4 bookshelf speakers ready to go to 11.1 but now read that only the Denon 4810 will allow you drive all 11 with the appropriate back, height, and wide.

I love my Onkyo 805 and was hoping the 807 or xxx7 Onkyo's would allow it with an ext amp but not yet, Denon's relatively laid back sound compared to the Onkyo's isn't my cup of tea so I guess I have to wait for Onkyo to up the ante to match the 4810 DSP processing to take full advantage of all 11 channels.

let's all hope the wait for Onkyo 11.2 DSX heights and wides is not very far into the future (hint, hint, hint...Onkyo are ya listenin?????)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I have to wait for Onkyo to up the ante to match the 4810 DSP processing to take full advantage of all 11 channels.

is this a firmware issue or hardware?
post #453 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Yes, which is why I noted that the 1007 is unlikely to have any problem driving them. If I recall correctly, an Ultra2 receiver should drive 4 ohm speakers to reference levels in a room that is up to 3,000 cubic feet.

I'm driving sidea and rear surrounds (Emotiva ERD-1 4ohm speakers) with a TX-SR605.

I don't see an issue either.
post #454 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

is this a firmware issue or hardware?

hardware. firmware can't make two more amps appear.
post #455 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

I have to agree mostly with you on PLIIz, since Dolby hasn't released any PLIIz content yet, it certainly isn't living up to it's future potential. DSX is much more dramatic of an effect on non-encoded material, however in the right circumstances (ie. live sports) PLIIz still has merit. If you read Joerod's reviews he makes the observation that the PLIIz effect may only show itself once or twice in a movie (but when it does he loves it). Me I use DSX wide for movies, music and most TV sources.
Since you only have PLIIz I understand your current pain, however as Dolby and studio's start releasing PLIIz content I am willing to bet you may change you mind on it's effectiveness. And those who have both DSX and PLIIz then PLIIz is sort of the icing on the cake......

in my opinion, DSX wide is not something that is going to catch on because quite frankly most home theater setups will not accommodate it (and I'm referring to dedicated HT rooms; nevermind the average family room with a surround sound setup). Height is somewhat easier to accommodate and I may end up picking up a pair of matching speakers to permanently install in my setup but from my current exposure I'm not sure the aesthetic tradeoff is worth it.
post #456 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:

to get optimal results you really need to stick as close to the setup guidelines as possible, mount your speakers at a 45 degree angle from your sweet spot and raised to a 45 degree angle and have them pointed down towards the listener. Setup is not really WAF friendly

Is this for PLIIz or DSX? From everything I've read I thought PLIIz speakers were supposed to be mounted on the front wall facing out in to the room not facing downward. They will be at 45 degrees from the listening position and near the ceiling, but I can't aim them downward. They either have to be on the front wall aiming out in to the room or in the front left and right corners aiming toward the listener.
post #457 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

I've been comparing the 807 to the 1007. Besides the second HDMI output and 9.2, is there a glaring reason to get the 1007? I plan on driving a 5.1 sytem, maybe eventually a 7.1 system, but I don't see myself getting 9.1 any time soon- or do I get the 1007 to "future proof" any future speaker additions.

Otherwise they look pretty similar.

rprice54,

Wasn't the 807 just released and you are already considering an upgrade to the 1007. With technology you will "never" be "future proof". I just recently began thinking about upgrading my AVR. I have an 8 year old Denon receiver and the only thing they I may be missing of consequence (imo) is some type of built in room calibration (Audyssey MultEQ, MCACC, etc.). Enjoy what you have and then in a few years consider upgrading. You will never have the latest or the greatest and I haven't read of any ground breaking technology requiring people to upgrade their AVRs annually.

Just my $.02.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #458 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 148
sterryo,

"I give up!!!"

That's really your only option; not everyone is reasonable.

"let's all hope the wait for Onkyo 11.2 DSX heights and wides is not very far into the future "

How long have the current models been out? There's a year minimum between models, right?

But I have to wonder whether Onkyo plans on this; what % of buyers will actually use and want to pay for 11 ch?

Noah
post #459 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

rprice54,

You will never have the latest or the greatest and I haven't read of any ground breaking technology requiring people to upgrade their AVRs annually.

Unless you are me and have a great Onkyo TX-SR605 and realize that you were stupid 2 years ago and never considered the fact you may actually need pre-amp outs and have sinced moved into a 26 x 16 dedicated HT room. That's my story.
post #460 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in my opinion, DSX wide is not something that is going to catch on because quite frankly most home theater setups will not accommodate it (and I'm referring to dedicated HT rooms; nevermind the average family room with a surround sound setup). Height is somewhat easier to accommodate and I may end up picking up a pair of matching speakers to permanently install in my setup but from my current exposure I'm not sure the aesthetic tradeoff is worth it.

do you have a dsx wide setup? im an installer and wides are just as easy to intergrate as heights.
post #461 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
osofast...what do you do with a very small room (12L x 11W) in terms of the ''wides''??
post #462 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlawler View Post

Is this for PLIIz or DSX? From everything I've read I thought PLIIz speakers were supposed to be mounted on the front wall facing out in to the room not facing downward. They will be at 45 degrees from the listening position and near the ceiling, but I can't aim them downward. They either have to be on the front wall aiming out in to the room or in the front left and right corners aiming toward the listener.

from DSX setup manual... not PLIIz
post #463 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

do you have a dsx wide setup? im an installer and wides are just as easy to intergrate as heights.

to get 60 degrees mine are on the side wall and as easy an install as my side surrounds. I agree with you all the way.
post #464 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

hardware. firmware can't make two more amps appear.

Well maybe not, obviously any non active speaker will need an amplifer which if included will raise the cost of the AVR and if we are considering 11 speakers that would be substantial, not to mention very heavy and as pointed out how many installations will actually be able to implement it. BUT, why not allow the software to drive the surround backs, height and wide channels with the appropriate matrixing simultaneously? The purchaser can decide if he wants an external amp to accommodate the extra speakers beyond the 7 if he wants the height and wide along with the back surrounds. It seems silly to say well you can have wide but not back surround or height and not wide, or any other such limitations,even if the back surrounds aren't as 'engaging' as forward speakers don't tell me you can't use them also.
post #465 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

osofast...what do you do with a very small room (12L x 11W) in terms of the ''wides''??

they would go on the wall at the correct angle. and yes the wide speakers will be closer than the LRC
post #466 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I would have to respectfully disagree with you; wide speakers may theoretically be easy to integrate but in a room that serves a purpose other than a dedicated HT room the compromise for most will just not be worth it; particularly if they want to use a decent set of speakers.

For example, one of my setups is in a small room (12 x 11.5); I currently have a 5.1 system (Energy Reference Connoisseur speakers and Velodyne Sub) but can quite easily accommodate two height channels which I'm currently experimenting with; however, the wide channels would really clutter my room if placed optimally so it's really not an option.

BTW, I just checked out the attached pictures, I suppose if you're willing to go with something like those cubes any amount of speakers can be easily integrated. For me, I'm not willing to make a concession on the type of speakers I want to use in order to add more of them (I considered it a significant concession to go from Energy RC70 floor standing speakers to Energy RC30 floor standing speakers in an effort to appease my significant other's aesthetic tastes).
post #467 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

240sx,
unless EVT has recently upgraded, he would still have his Denon AVR-3310 which does not have DSX, it does have PLIIz capability....
post #468 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would have to respectfully disagree with you; wide speakers may theoretically be easy to integrate but in a room that serves a purpose other than a dedicated HT room the compromise for most will just not be worth it; particularly if they want to use a decent set of speakers.

For example, one of my setups is in a small room (12 x 11.5); I currently have a 5.1 system (Energy Reference Connoisseur speakers and Velodyne Sub) but can quite easily accommodate two height channels which I'm currently experimenting with; however, the wide channels would really clutter my room if placed optimally so it's really not an option.

BTW, I just checked out the attached pictures, I suppose if you're willing to go with something like those cubes any amount of speakers can be easily integrated. For me, I'm not willing to make a concession on the type of speakers I want to use in order to add more of them (I considered it a significant concession to go from Energy RC70 floor standing speakers to Energy RC30 floor standing speakers in an effort to appease my significant other's aesthetic tastes).

i thought you were talking about a dedicated HT room.
post #469 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Just out of curiosity being that only the "Dennon 4810" can utilize heights and widths at the same time(from what I understand), which one has better sound quality, the 4810 or the 1007?
post #470 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my room is only 12.5' wide and originally I used 5 tower speakers across the front soundstage, it work well but to make it easier to navigate through the room I bought satellites to replace them. The satellites provided more room to place my subs and opened a clear path to the hallway adjacent to HT room..... I think most rooms can be accommodated.....
post #471 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt View Post

Just out of curiosity being that only the "Dennon 4810" can utilize heights and widths at the same time(from what I understand), which one has better sound quality, the 4810 or the 1007?

guessing, I say that you will get better results from the Denon, but remember at street pricing of 1k for the 1007 to 2.2+k for the Denon 4810 it should sound better even without running both heights and wides...
post #472 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That's kinda like asking which apple has better taste a Macintosh or Fuji, it really is more preference of the 'sound' of the brand, I had a mid level Denon before my Onkyo 805, and while I liked the sound when I had it, when I went to the Onkyo the 'sound' was more upfront, but not in your face, whereas the Denon was as people have described it 'laid back'. Again, I watch a lot of action, horror, sci-fi, so maybe that has something to do with it, and I don't listen to music on my system which both factors need to be considered when choosing a pre/pro or AVR.
post #473 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:

guessing, I say that you will get better results from the Denon, but remember at street pricing of 1k for the 1007 to 2.2+k for the Denon 4810 it should sound better even without running both heights and wides...

Good point, I didn't realize that the price difference was that big.
post #474 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:

That's kinda like asking which apple has better taste a Macintosh or Fuji, it really is more preference of the 'sound' of the brand, I had a mid level Denon before my Onkyo 805, and while I liked the sound when I had it, when I went to the Onkyo the 'sound' was more upfront, but not in your face, whereas the Denon was as people have described it 'laid back'. Again, I watch a lot of action, horror, sci-fi, so maybe that has something to do with it, and I don't listen to music on my system which both factors need to be considered when choosing a pre/pro or AVR.

thx for the feedback, appreciate it.
post #475 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

It's here.... thank you NewEgg for quick shipping. Now to read some of the manual before I figure out how to fit this into my cabinet. I guess I could lug it into the study and update the firmware first....

Mark

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
post #476 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

better sound quality come from better speakers or better DAC's in your AVR/Prepro. 9.1/11.1/14.1/ or even 22.1 gives and imersion experience.
post #477 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

better sound quality come from better speakers or better DAC's in your AVR/Prepro. 9.1/11.1/14.1/ or even 22.1 gives and imersion experience.

22.1? ok that's just too far lol. I imagine it does sound amazing, but geez.
post #478 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

BTW: What is the latest firmware release?
No updates yet on the Onkyo USA page
Mark

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
post #479 of 2618 Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

22.1? ok that's just too far lol. I imagine it does sound amazing, but geez.

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/...llar_Room.html
better video
http://www.blip.tv/file/629040
post #480 of 2618 Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Well maybe not, obviously any non active speaker will need an amplifer which if included will raise the cost of the AVR and if we are considering 11 speakers that would be substantial, not to mention very heavy and as pointed out how many installations will actually be able to implement it. BUT, why not allow the software to drive the surround backs, height and wide channels with the appropriate matrixing simultaneously? The purchaser can decide if he wants an external amp to accommodate the extra speakers beyond the 7 if he wants the height and wide along with the back surrounds. It seems silly to say well you can have wide but not back surround or height and not wide, or any other such limitations,even if the back surrounds aren't as 'engaging' as forward speakers don't tell me you can't use them also.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't do that. It was a question I asked Onkyo before I bought the 1007, so I knew going into it they didn't support that. I don't know if they opted not to to prevent confusion, or if they are simply out of DSP processing power.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page