Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2618 Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

I tried that sequence as well, since it was listed in a Google search result. It didn't seem to do anything.

It seems a bit silly that DirecTV makes you play a badly-designed video game just to get a firmware update.

I just did mine, and it worked. Hit the little red reset button and then when you see a blue screen punch in the numbers on the remote and hit enter. Don't hit select. If you have the latest software, it won't update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 PM

I've had my Onkyo nr1007 for a month now, and couldn't be happier.

Regarding firmware updates - just got this working. Watch the front panel on the receiver for update progress, the picture on the monitor never changes. Mine went through three downloading/writing phases, then ended with a OK:Checksum ###### msg. I then powered off and back on, and I was updated. Took about 10 minutes.
  • I HAD to switch to an input that was powered off for this to succeed - i.e. Bluray with the BD player turned off.
  • When I tried to update with the cable box selected (and powered on), it always hung at 98% writing the DSP firmware. Everytime. Remote was useless, front panel buttons (including power) were useless. Had to unplug, then re-plug, the power. This has been my only complaint, and it's solved now.

I too have clicking/switching sounds from the receiver, when changing channels or when commercials start/end. I strongly suspect it's caused by the audio format changing from 5.1 to stereo and back. This never happens mid-movie, mid-song, or mid-tv-show.

Everything is HDMI connected, all digital audio/video. Got zone2 working, as well as eISCP control from my Mythtv box.

Now just have to get some decent matched speakers....

-Simon
post #723 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:

You want male to male 3.5mm RCA cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10218

are you sure about the 3.5mm? where does that end go?

Would the following work

For only 2.88 compared to 16.99 at emotiva's website
post #724 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM

The 3.5mm refers to the width of the pin in the middle of the connector.

The connector at both ends of the cable are identical, so it won't matter which end you use.

The cables you linked in your post should work just fine.
post #725 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

As my Grandaddy said, "You can't polish a turd."

[NERD ALERT] Actually, mythbusters did a show on that, they polished some terds up pretty shiny like...[/NERD ALERT]
post #726 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post

Can you try running component and digital optical from Direct TV and see if you experience the same dropouts?

I got my DirecTV service upgraded a few weeks ago and the tech-guy suggested using the toslink instead of the HDMI for "better sound". I had one of those, ok, all right moments, thinking when I get my receiver upgraded I would absolutely go HDMI. Now after reading about these audio drops there might be something to his suggestion, or at least something DirecTV is aware of.
post #727 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_ale View Post

I got my DirecTV service upgraded a few weeks ago and the tech-guy suggested using the toslink instead of the HDMI for "better sound". I had one of those, ok, all right moments, thinking when I get my receiver upgraded I would absolutely go HDMI. Now after reading about these audio drops there might be something to his suggestion, or at least something DirecTV is aware of.

The reason I asked is; I get Audio dropouts through Digital Optical also. I have now basically confirmed its related to the Motorola/Cab/sat setup. All other blue-ray players, and other sources, Xbox, PS3, Macbook play fine.
post #728 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:

The 3.5mm refers to the width of the pin in the middle of the connector.

The connector at both ends of the cable are identical, so it won't matter which end you use.

The cables you linked in your post should work just fine.

3.5mm is generally a plug like headphones have. If you click on the link that led to the 3.5mm you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for your help.
post #729 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM

After listening to my Polk Monitor 70's for a few weeks without trying out Bi-Amping; yesterday I connected my speakers in the Bi-AMP configuration.

I definitely noticed an immediate difference in the soundstage; and impact of my M70's. I will be keeping them bi-amped!
post #730 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Hello,

I have 2 quick questions. I see a lot of discussions around the HIGH/WIDE configurations, but not much on the dual HDMI output capabilities.

1. Has anyone tried running both HDMI output's at the same time with 1080P or 1080i information? If so, how is it working?

2. If you are not using the additional amp channels, can you assign them to another zone for powering other speakers?

I read through the manual and I'm concerned about the verbiage about driving both HDMI's at the same time.

I know this is probably not a normal configuration for most, but I could use the feedback before dropping the cash on the 1007.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #731 of 2618 Old 11-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCNewbie View Post

Hello,

I have 2 quick questions. I see a lot of discussions around the HIGH/WIDE configurations, but not much on the dual HDMI output capabilities.

1. Has anyone tried running both HDMI output's at the same time with 1080P or 1080i information? If so, how is it working?

2. If you are not using the additional amp channels, can you assign them to another zone for powering other speakers?

I read through the manual and I'm concerned about the verbiage about driving both HDMI's at the same time.

I know this is probably not a normal configuration for most, but I could use the feedback before dropping the cash on the 1007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

i find it is unreliable at 1080p, i never run both at the same time but just having the setting to "both" when i run 720p through my plasma no problems, but the 1080p projector will hang after a short time. since i use one at a time i just use the selector switch between sub and main for whatever i'm watching without any problems (just 2 clicks on the remote, which could be programmed as a macro but i haven't bothered)
post #732 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM

The amp channels on the x007 models are not a completely free assign like a Denon 4810.

There's two sets of amp outs that can be reassigned:

- Front Wide OR Zone 2
- Surr Back OR Zone 3 OR Biamp Front L+R

You can only do 7.2 channels with Zone 2 or 3 active, and presumably could only do 5.2 with both active.

The other restriction is that you cannot do Heights + Wides simultaneously in any configuration. The Denon 4810 is the only receiver that can do that at the moment.
post #733 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Posted in the 5007 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=300

Regards,
Adamg
post #734 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=300

So dropouts are only happening with cable/sat boxes? Typically Motorola.
post #735 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettesweetnos View Post

So dropouts are only happening with cable/sat boxes? Typically Motorola.

I certainly don't know that to be a Fact. Based on what I have read here and at Onkyo Support Forum the Direct TV Satellite box seems to have the highest rate of failure/complaint. I did read other sources may be related as well, but they are rare.

The FAQ post reply from Onkyo indicates this is a Dolby Digital broadcast issue that is affecting both Cable based and Satellite based source material. At least that is what is stated by the Onkyo Tech who wrote the reply. So one could hypothesize that any Dolby Digital source (DVD, BluRay, OTA) may be a potential culprit as well.

Regards,
Adamg
post #736 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
My 1007 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately, so is Tropical Storm Ida. And I took the day off to hook everything up and play! Now my office is closed for the storm, and I'm willing to bet that UPS won't be in a hurry to get my package here during a tropical storm. :P

So much for my day of new toys. I had Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Up and Monsters Inc. on Blu-ray coming in tomorrow as well. Stupid weather!

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #737 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

i find it is unreliable at 1080p, i never run both at the same time but just having the setting to "both" when i run 720p through my plasma no problems, but the 1080p projector will hang after a short time. since i use one at a time i just use the selector switch between sub and main for whatever i'm watching without any problems (just 2 clicks on the remote, which could be programmed as a macro but i haven't bothered)

The above problem would tend to imply that the processor doesn't have enough horsepower to drive both HDMI sources at the same time. I'm not a digital expert, or an engineer... but I guess it could also mean the 1007 is having troubles splitting digital signals?

I wonder if a simple HDMI splitter would work better?

Thoughts??? Suggestions???
post #738 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

I certainly don't know that to be a Fact. Based on what I have read here and at Onkyo Support Forum the Direct TV Satellite box seems to have the highest rate of failure/complaint. I did read other sources may be related as well, but they are rare.

The FAQ post reply from Onkyo indicates this is a Dolby Digital broadcast issue that is affecting both Cable based and Satellite based source material. At least that is what is stated by the Onkyo Tech who wrote the reply. So one could hypothesize that any Dolby Digital source (DVD, BluRay, OTA) may be a potential culprit as well.

I am having problems with audio dropouts when playing Blueray movies as well (Panasonic DMP-BD35). On Dolby True HD soundtracks the sound drops out about 1 sec. every 5 sec. On DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks the sound drops out 0.5 sec. every 1 sec. When switching to the additional Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on these movies, the audio dropout problem disappears. No problem playing PCM 5.1 soundtracks either.

When using my cable TV box (connected via HDMI) I experience no problems.

This is my second TX-NR1007. The first one sounded crap and I experienced to loose both sound and picture (white noise) when exiting setup mode (happened randomly).

I live in Norway by the way.
post #739 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable and/or a different input on the AVR?

I don't have a Panasonic player, but the 1007 has been pretty much bulletproof with an Oppo BDP-83 via both HDMI and SPDIF. My only issues have been with a DirecTV DVR.
post #740 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable and/or a different input on the AVR?

I don't have a Panasonic player, but the 1007 has been pretty much bulletproof with an Oppo BDP-83 via both HDMI and SPDIF. My only issues have been with a DirecTV DVR.

Yes, I switched inputs on the AVR. I get audio dropouts from more than one input on the AVR. To me this seems to be a audio decoding issue as well. Using the Panasonic blueray player I consistently get audio dropouts on TrueHD and DTS HD Master soundtracks while PCM 5.1 and Dolby Digital works fine. This does not sound like a cable or HDMI input issue to me.
I have not tried to switch HDMI cables, but I am using the expensive ones from Monster Cables (expensive cables is a habit I have taken with me from the 2-channel area).
post #741 of 2618 Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM

I had a similar issue with a Denon 4310ci and two different blu-ray players; the lossless codecs produced horrible, distorted sound and anything else was just fine.

In the end I returned the Denon for a full refund and switched to the Onkyo. I also returned the blu-ray players and switched to the Oppo.

It's possible that you are having an HDMI handshake issue and could benefit from firmware upgrades on either the AVR and/or the player. I'd give that a shot before doing a return.
post #742 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCNewbie View Post

The above problem would tend to imply that the processor doesn't have enough horsepower to drive both HDMI sources at the same time. I'm not a digital expert, or an engineer... but I guess it could also mean the 1007 is having troubles splitting digital signals?

I wonder if a simple HDMI splitter would work better?

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

i still have an excell splitter from when i owned a denon 3808 and the excell splitter ran flawlessly, i also used it on the 807 i had for a couple weeks. so if running 2 monitors at 1080p then you should get a splitter. i don't plan on putting mine back into the loop as the 1007 works sufficiently for me......
post #743 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 AM

I'm having issues with dropouts on lossless codecs as well. (True-HD and DTS-HD specifically) I've tried different Blu-Ray players and quality HDMI cables with no change in the problem. Dolby and DTS test discs have the same issues as regular movies so it's not source or player related, it's in the receiver.

In this case, I've been able to swap between a Yamaha RXV-3900 and the Onkyo 1007 to troubleshoot. The RXV doesn't have any issues with the test discs but the 1007 has issues every time. The dropouts are reproducible by track. I think it may be related to the bitrate of the audio tracks as not all lossless tracks have an issue.

The dropouts are not related to volume level or number of speakers driven and the receiver is powered by a dedicated circuit so it's not clipping or power related. The problem still exists after the latest firmware updates, and Onkyo is sending a call tag for this unit so they can try to reproduce it in the lab.

Thus far, Onkyo has been very easy to deal with and proactive in wanting the unit back in their lab for testing.

The only other issue I've seen is that the network interface seems to go to sleep and not return unless the box is hard power cycled (Power removed and reconnected). The network menu becomes greyed out during these times and cannot be accessed via the remote or front panel. Control via the serial port works regardless of the network state.
post #744 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 AM

[quote=Adamg (Ret-Navy);17502767]Posted in the 5007 thread.

Updated

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=311

Regards,
Adamg
post #745 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Liked: 13
[quote=Adamg (Ret-Navy);17507947]
Quote:

Updated

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=311

Thanks for keeping us updated! It's good to know that Onkyo is trying to work out these problems.
post #746 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Have you updated the firmware; some say that it might have fixed the issue with Bi-Amping and Audyssey setup.

ok, i had the same problem until i updated firmware however now the audessey is showing my front speakers at 150hz instead of full range like before? i overrode the setting and changed it back to fullrange has anyone else had this issue after bi-amping? yes they are hooked up correctly and they sound great.
post #747 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebo View Post

ok, i had the same problem until i updated firmware however now the audessey is showing my front speakers at 150hz instead of full range like before? i overrode the setting and changed it back to fullrange has anyone else had this issue after bi-amping? yes they are hooked up correctly and they sound great.

I have a question: Did you notice if it lowered your speaker level volume, or had any different distance configuration after re-running Audyssey after Bi-AMPing then previous. I understand that one change you noticed was the xover; which is easy to fix. I could re-run and see if it sets my speakers to a different xover too.

Because I ran Audyssey then I Bi-AMPed and I am wondering if I need to run it again.
post #748 of 2618 Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I have a question: Did you notice if it lowered your speaker level volume, or had any different distance configuration after re-running Audyssey after Bi-AMPing then previous. I understand that one change you noticed was the xover; which is easy to fix. I could re-run and see if it sets my speakers to a different xover too.

Because I ran Audyssey then I Bi-AMPed and I am wondering if I need to run it again.

Best to ask this question in the Audyssey thread. But I think the answer will be yes, you need to rerun Audyssey to accommodate the new set of Freqs and SPL levels.

Regards,
Adamg
post #749 of 2618 Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebo View Post

If you have a sub, you are better off setting the crossover to the audyssey freq and letting the sub handle the bass. The decision of "Large" vs. "Small" is dictated by Onkyo, not Audyssey.

Remember that Audyssey selects the rolloff freq. based on the speaker's performance in the room, so it will usually be different than a manufacturer's stated performance due to room interaction.
post #750 of 2618 Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Got my 1007 set up yesterday. Ran all 8 positions of Audyssey, but when I double-check the trim levels with my SPL meter, they all read 71dB. I was under the impression that with the new Audyssey mics (instead of the old Onkyo puck-shaped mics), they had a known response and could set your system so that reference = 0. Anyone else getting the same thing? Should I bump all my trims up 4dB?

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page