Onkyo tx nr1007 owners' thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 2626 Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Unfortunately Elliott, your 1007's symptoms sound (sorry!) all too familiar. You may find that eventually a factory reset may suddenly work after several tries, but this appears the start of the well trodden path to HDMI board failure. Switching the unit off and pulling the plug may also work for a while too.

Other symptoms include: no little speaker icons on the front display; non responsive when switched to a different input signal type or decoder and inability to generate any speaker test noise. When I was able to bring my unit "back from the dead" with a factory reset, I didn't switch it off for weeks for fear it wouldn't come back. Despite this, total failure still occurred after about a month. You can read my little saga starting at this post, and see if your experience is similar.

I suggest that you keep trying to bring it back to life for us long as possible to satisfy yourself that it is (as Keith says) completely FUBAR. This will ensure that the repair centre can "replicate the fault" straight away. As I understand it, the HDMI board failure is a recognised manufacturing defect and Onkyo has in the past been authorising repairs under a one-off extension to the warranty. Others who have relied on this may be able to confirm this. (Mine was repaired under 3 year warranty, so I'm not 100% sure.)

I think I did notice the greyed out remote controller setup, but didn't take much notice. I suspect this is because the factory reset will have wiped your input/output assignments and they're needed to set up the modes and activities under that menu item.

Good luck with it all Elliott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2626 Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare96ws6 View Post

So it is the HDMI board issue a capacitor issue like in some of the other models or is it solder related, where some balls of solder pop lose of a chip? Anyone know if Onkyo uses leaded solder?

thanks

Rare96, I believe it's the solder related issue you've described because, IIRC a sub-optimal fix for the issue in the past has been reported as "reflowing the board". Sorry, I have no idea about the composition of the solder. Are you pondering a DIY job?
post #2613 of 2626 Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5208 Post(s)
Liked: 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Unfortunately Elliott, your 1007's symptoms sound (sorry!) all too familiar. You may find that eventually a factory reset may suddenly work after several tries, but this appears the start of the well trodden path to HDMI board failure. Switching the unit off and pulling the plug may also work for a while too.

Other symptoms include: no little speaker icons on the front display; non responsive when switched to a different input signal type or decoder and inability to generate any speaker test noise. When I was able to bring my unit "back from the dead" with a factory reset, I didn't switch it off for weeks for fear it wouldn't come back. Despite this, total failure still occurred after about a month. You can read my little saga starting at this post, and see if your experience is similar.

I suggest that you keep trying to bring it back to life for us long as possible to satisfy yourself that it is (as Keith says) completely FUBAR. This will ensure that the repair centre can "replicate the fault" straight away. As I understand it, the HDMI board failure is a recognised manufacturing defect and Onkyo has in the past been authorising repairs under a one-off extension to the warranty. Others who have relied on this may be able to confirm this. (Mine was repaired under 3 year warranty, so I'm not 100% sure.)

I think I did notice the greyed out remote controller setup, but didn't take much notice. I suspect this is because the factory reset will have wiped your input/output assignments and they're needed to set up the modes and activities under that menu item.

Good luck with it all Elliott.

+1. I do think it is a good idea to ensure it is totalled FUBAR before sending it in - the last thing anyone wants is to send the unit in and the engineers can't see a fault!

post #2614 of 2626 Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. Is it possible to asses the soldering? Ive got solder skills but dont want to have the repairmen look in there and say oh u soldered in here.. Ill keep trying tho. Last night i got it on one of like 40 starts lol, then it cut out on its own and now lo go
post #2615 of 2626 Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
Please call Onkyo Customer service and they might help you. Don't worry about the out of warranty issue. Only have our prove of purchase ready and call them. At least there is no harm in trying before you pay through your nose in repair fees. Remember the Hdmi board is like the motherboard in your PC. It contains almost all the audio /video codec and a lot of stuff. Sometimes is cheaper to buy a completely unit than replacing the board. Sometimes it is cheaper for onkyo to give you a new unit than replacing the unit due to
1) they may have no board in stock
2) the board may bound to fail again after a couple of years due to heat
3) you will be happy with them for their good customer service.
post #2616 of 2626 Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 AM

GIEGAR,

Thanks for the info. I chatted with the guy at the authorized service center that will be swapping out the HDMI in my Onkyo. I asked him about fixing it if Onkyo no longer supplied the board. He mentioned the chip that was probably the one coming detached and told me it took a very expensive machine to be able to do this type of small solder work. Basically he couldn't do that there, so no DIY repair for me if it happens again:(
post #2617 of 2626 Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Just an Update, found this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/300982593800....

Its not shown as the same unti but the boards are numbers matching. Anyhow, I sent him mine and he repaired it and was back in my hands within 7 days of me shipping it out. 75bucks and it fired right up. Changes he made that are obvious are a heatsink on one of the chips, and he added a small board, no idea what it does lol but it works fine.

Just a thought for anyone having a no sound issue and no speaker output from thier nr1007. Back in action here with the music pounding!

One thing to test that I found before sending it out was I used a heat gun and gently warmed the top of the board. after about 15 seconds and the board was warm everything was normal.... I understand that the issue is poor solder connections that weaken with the change in temperature and time
post #2618 of 2626 Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Last week they finally acknowledged the HDMI problem. I will be sending my TX-NR1007 in for the 3rd repair, then sell it.

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
post #2619 of 2626 Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 PM

So, I had my 1007 repaired a couple years ago, and last week it died again! I was so mad I ordered a Denon (AVR-S700W, no more $1,000+ receivers for me!) and ripped out the Onkyo. I can't believe I have a 40+ year old Pioneer, a 20+ year old Yamaha, and a 30+ year old Onkyo still running fine, but this very expensive unit can't even make it 5 years! No more Onkyo 's for this guy...

Now I just have to decide if I want to try to get the 1007 fixed or not...
post #2620 of 2626 Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are affected with the bad network chip (previously called HDMI board) failure problem and Onkyo accepts the unit on their website for repair, the total process takes less than 2 weeks. My repaired TX-NR1007 has been working great 5-10 hours per day for the last month after the repair.

The audio quality on the TX-NR1007 is noticeably better than the (admittedly much cheaper) Yamaha RX-V475 that I bought when the Onkyo died. Probably a matter of Audyssey Multi-XT vs the single point YPAO. Also, the yamaha runs out of steam quickly with movies since my speakers are pretty inefficient and the Yamaha is under 25wpc with 5 channels driven vs the Onkyo's >100wpc with 5 channels driven.

I would definitely go through the trouble of fixing the TX-NR1007.
post #2621 of 2626 Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I bought mine new in 2010 from Fry's, got it at half price and not an open box unit. I had a slightly different issue with mine shortly after I got it, it would only decode lossy audio but not the lossless audio. I called them and since it was under warranty, I got it fixed in less than two weeks. I don't know if this was part of the HDMI board issue as the serial number was not on their list of affected units but I haven't had a problem since and I push this thing hard. I have it set up for 7.2 plus zone 2 otside. I use it a lot for TV, music in the theater and in zone 2, high res audio discs and movies (LD, HD-DVD and BD) on a regular basis for hours on end sometimes. I've been using Onkyo products for decades and still love them despite their current issues. Remember, no electronic unit is infallible.

If you had it fixed for that problem once before, they should honor it again. Being such a pricey unit, getting it fixed would be better than turning into a paper weight, I think it would be worth it.

post #2622 of 2626 Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Video drop out

For the past month or so my NR1007 will drop the video signal out for about 5 seconds. I had thought it was from the Xbox 360 I had hooked up that was failing. I got a Xbox One and the issue still occurs. I then started playing around and it does the same thing with my Apple TV. If the HDMI cables are hooked straight to my projector no issue. The issue will happen every time I use it normally within 20-25 minutes. Both inputs are set the 1080p/60Hz. I have tried other cables and also a factory reset and no change. The HDMI board was replaced under the recall Onkyo had for no sound back in March. Could I be dealing with a bad HDMI board? Any one else have this issue or some ideas to try.
post #2623 of 2626 Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 205
^Yeah, mine did that for a while but only for the cable box. Once I got the cable box replaced due to its own issues and swapped HDMI cables, it hasn't done it since. It did do it once during a BD but never repeated. I forgot all about it until you mentioned it, you better not have jinxed me...

post #2624 of 2626 Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM

I switched the resolution to 720p from 1080p on my Xbox One and the issue didn't happen last night. That was the suggestion from Onkyo. Anyone had issues with the replacement HDMI boards?
post #2625 of 2626 Old Today, 09:22 PM

Liked: 0
Onkyo Loss of Audio/Video Program

I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver. My wife bought it for me in 2009. I was so very excited. I hooked it up and it rocked the house. We all were impressed. About 2 years later, major problems with Sound and video. Sent it back into Onkyo to fix and they replaced with HDMI board. In 2013, it crapped out again. I was so very pissed off and gave up on Onkyo. I bought a sony receiver for $400 dollars and we have been using this and it's fine for me any my kids. So I was about to toss the Onkyo this year in the garbage and I looked up if i could sell it on craigslist. And I was stumbling all over the internet to get rid of this nuisance and make some money off of it and then low and behold, I stumble upon Onkyo's website and a FREE repair program for Onkyo receivers.

They do not have a list of receivers they will repair, so I rushed home and took a picture of the serial # and entered it on Onkyo's site. MY RECEIVER WAS ELIGIBLE FOR REPAIR. HOLY S*H*IT...Omg. I immediately submitted my information, and within 2 days Onkyo sent me a box and packing material. It took 3 days to get to Onkyo and they repaired it within 3days. I received it back in a week and a half.

I TOTALLY gave up on ONKYO after spending so much money, but they surprised me after 6 years repairing it. I took a picture of the HDMI board before and when it came it today. They are different. Hopefully they corrected whatever is causing all these HDMI failures on many of their receivers.

I have to hook it up and see if it works now. I am so happy. I love the sound from this monster, but gave up after numerous failures in the HDMI and audio. I am getting a fan to put on top of it and hopefully it will last forever.
post #2626 of 2626 Old Today, 09:29 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetat1 View Post
I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver. My wife bought it for me in 2009. I was so very excited. I hooked it up and it rocked the house. We all were impressed. About 2 years later, major problems with Sound and video. Sent it back into Onkyo to fix and they replaced with HDMI board. In 2013, it crapped out again. I was so very pissed off and gave up on Onkyo. I bought a sony receiver for $400 dollars and we have been using this and it's fine for me any my kids. So I was about to toss the Onkyo this year in the garbage and I looked up if i could sell it on craigslist. And I was stumbling all over the internet to get rid of this nuisance and make some money off of it and then low and behold, I stumble upon Onkyo's website and a FREE repair program for Onkyo receivers.

They do not have a list of receivers they will repair, so I rushed home and took a picture of the serial # and entered it on Onkyo's site. MY RECEIVER WAS ELIGIBLE FOR REPAIR. HOLY S*H*IT...Omg. I immediately submitted my information, and within 2 days Onkyo sent me a box and packing material. It took 3 days to get to Onkyo and they repaired it within 3days. I received it back in a week and a half.

I TOTALLY gave up on ONKYO after spending so much money, but they surprised me after 6 years repairing it. I took a picture of the HDMI board before and when it came it today. They are different. Hopefully they corrected whatever is causing all these HDMI failures on many of their receivers.

I have to hook it up and see if it works now. I am so happy. I love the sound from this monster, but gave up after numerous failures in the HDMI and audio. I am getting a fan to put on top of it and hopefully it will last forever.

See the video for how Onkyo handled my repair FREE with the LOSS OF AUDIO Program
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors