Onkyo tx nr1007 owners' thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 2619 Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, this HDMI board issue... Is it what causes my 1007 to turn on and have no speaker output? The last few times Ive used it I have had no audio output but the video passes fine. I did a reset with the dvd/vcr button and power, that got me running for thr rest of last night but again this morning I have no sound and the reset is not fixing it.... Thanks for any input, I bought the reciever from ym buddy who is a delaer and i am sure its out of warranty

One other thing I noticed that changed is the "remote controller" option in the settings GUI is greyed out aswell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2619 Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Unfortunately Elliott, your 1007's symptoms sound (sorry!) all too familiar. You may find that eventually a factory reset may suddenly work after several tries, but this appears the start of the well trodden path to HDMI board failure. Switching the unit off and pulling the plug may also work for a while too.

Other symptoms include: no little speaker icons on the front display; non responsive when switched to a different input signal type or decoder and inability to generate any speaker test noise. When I was able to bring my unit "back from the dead" with a factory reset, I didn't switch it off for weeks for fear it wouldn't come back. Despite this, total failure still occurred after about a month. You can read my little saga starting at this post, and see if your experience is similar.

I suggest that you keep trying to bring it back to life for us long as possible to satisfy yourself that it is (as Keith says) completely FUBAR. This will ensure that the repair centre can "replicate the fault" straight away. As I understand it, the HDMI board failure is a recognised manufacturing defect and Onkyo has in the past been authorising repairs under a one-off extension to the warranty. Others who have relied on this may be able to confirm this. (Mine was repaired under 3 year warranty, so I'm not 100% sure.)

I think I did notice the greyed out remote controller setup, but didn't take much notice. I suspect this is because the factory reset will have wiped your input/output assignments and they're needed to set up the modes and activities under that menu item.

Good luck with it all Elliott.
post #2613 of 2619 Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare96ws6 View Post

So it is the HDMI board issue a capacitor issue like in some of the other models or is it solder related, where some balls of solder pop lose of a chip? Anyone know if Onkyo uses leaded solder?

thanks

Rare96, I believe it's the solder related issue you've described because, IIRC a sub-optimal fix for the issue in the past has been reported as "reflowing the board". Sorry, I have no idea about the composition of the solder. Are you pondering a DIY job?
post #2614 of 2619 Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Unfortunately Elliott, your 1007's symptoms sound (sorry!) all too familiar. You may find that eventually a factory reset may suddenly work after several tries, but this appears the start of the well trodden path to HDMI board failure. Switching the unit off and pulling the plug may also work for a while too.

Other symptoms include: no little speaker icons on the front display; non responsive when switched to a different input signal type or decoder and inability to generate any speaker test noise. When I was able to bring my unit "back from the dead" with a factory reset, I didn't switch it off for weeks for fear it wouldn't come back. Despite this, total failure still occurred after about a month. You can read my little saga starting at this post, and see if your experience is similar.

I suggest that you keep trying to bring it back to life for us long as possible to satisfy yourself that it is (as Keith says) completely FUBAR. This will ensure that the repair centre can "replicate the fault" straight away. As I understand it, the HDMI board failure is a recognised manufacturing defect and Onkyo has in the past been authorising repairs under a one-off extension to the warranty. Others who have relied on this may be able to confirm this. (Mine was repaired under 3 year warranty, so I'm not 100% sure.)

I think I did notice the greyed out remote controller setup, but didn't take much notice. I suspect this is because the factory reset will have wiped your input/output assignments and they're needed to set up the modes and activities under that menu item.

Good luck with it all Elliott.

+1. I do think it is a good idea to ensure it is totalled FUBAR before sending it in - the last thing anyone wants is to send the unit in and the engineers can't see a fault!

post #2615 of 2619 Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks guys. Is it possible to asses the soldering? Ive got solder skills but dont want to have the repairmen look in there and say oh u soldered in here.. Ill keep trying tho. Last night i got it on one of like 40 starts lol, then it cut out on its own and now lo go
post #2616 of 2619 Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
Please call Onkyo Customer service and they might help you. Don't worry about the out of warranty issue. Only have our prove of purchase ready and call them. At least there is no harm in trying before you pay through your nose in repair fees. Remember the Hdmi board is like the motherboard in your PC. It contains almost all the audio /video codec and a lot of stuff. Sometimes is cheaper to buy a completely unit than replacing the board. Sometimes it is cheaper for onkyo to give you a new unit than replacing the unit due to
1) they may have no board in stock
2) the board may bound to fail again after a couple of years due to heat
3) you will be happy with them for their good customer service.
post #2617 of 2619 Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 AM

GIEGAR,

Thanks for the info. I chatted with the guy at the authorized service center that will be swapping out the HDMI in my Onkyo. I asked him about fixing it if Onkyo no longer supplied the board. He mentioned the chip that was probably the one coming detached and told me it took a very expensive machine to be able to do this type of small solder work. Basically he couldn't do that there, so no DIY repair for me if it happens again:(
post #2618 of 2619 Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Just an Update, found this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/300982593800....

Its not shown as the same unti but the boards are numbers matching. Anyhow, I sent him mine and he repaired it and was back in my hands within 7 days of me shipping it out. 75bucks and it fired right up. Changes he made that are obvious are a heatsink on one of the chips, and he added a small board, no idea what it does lol but it works fine.

Just a thought for anyone having a no sound issue and no speaker output from thier nr1007. Back in action here with the music pounding!

One thing to test that I found before sending it out was I used a heat gun and gently warmed the top of the board. after about 15 seconds and the board was warm everything was normal.... I understand that the issue is poor solder connections that weaken with the change in temperature and time
post #2619 of 2619 Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Last week they finally acknowledged the HDMI problem. I will be sending my TX-NR1007 in for the 3rd repair, then sell it.

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page