HDMI switching issue with Yamaha RX-V765 and Sony XBR9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from a Sony XBR2 to a Sony XBR9 and suddenly have trouble with HDMI switching on the RX-V765. When I turn on the XBR9, somehow the RX-V765 gets switched from HDM1 (DVR) to HDMI2 (PS3), even when it is in pass-through mode. I can turn on the 765, switch it back to HDMI1, and then turn it off, but the next time I turn on the XBR9, it's back on HDMI2. What is going on? I am using a Harmony 890 to control everything, in case that is contributing to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Interesting. I have no clue!

I have two ideas. If you set the 765 to fixed, it will always change to the input you specified. This is assuming the 765 works like my Yamaha RX-V3900.

The other idea is that the HDMI CEC feature is causing this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I remapped the inputs (Blu-ray now on HDMI1, DVR now on HDMI2) and it still happened. I went into the XBR9 preferences menu and disabled HDMI handshaking, and now everything seems to be okay. Very odd that the XBR9 always changed to the Blu-ray input. If I had the time and inclination, I would put the PS3 on all the HDMI inputs and see if it still looked for it.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Same problem on me!
How did you solved this?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
Sony TV's seem to do very odd things with CEC.

My KDL-55XBR8, when I turn on my DVD player to feed the XBR8 video over component connections, decides to tell my HDMI switch its in Audio Return Channel mode. I'm not feeding it with internally to it tuner data, but externally supplied component video - the audio is already going to the receiver directly. Seems wrong for the TV to tell my HDMI switch to go into ARC mode.

Then, with the DVD player off, the TV doesn't tell the HDMI switch to turn OFF ARC mode, but just continues in ARC mode - so nothing is feeding the TV except the HDMI signal, but the switch stays in ARC mode. Now I've got to manually cancel ARC on the switch again.

What seems clear to me is CEC doesn't work worth a damn. It may work in some specific configurations but it does not work generally across manufacturers and product lines.

I'll be doing like you and telling the XBR8 to turn off its CEC support and just do its thing and I'll program my remote to turn my HDMI switch on and off as needed. (CEC = Bravia Sync) Its a shame that no matter how long the manufacturers work this they still cannot get together to produce a working standard and we constantly have to abandon their latest efforts and revert to doing everything manually . Ugh.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page