post #31 of 780 Old 10-23-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brklyn Joe View Post

It would also be nice to be able to adjust speakers settings on the fly from it and to have direct access to Dynamic EQ/Volume. I have an old Harmony and the DHC 9.9 codes (the 40.1 codes are not up yet) seem to work fine. I'm pretty sure I've read that there are codes for direct access to Dynamic Eq/Volume for the 9.9 but I haven't been able to find them.

Joe,

If you look in the 876 thread I believe jcalabria posted the hex codes for the Harmony there. I have all the codes on my 688 and it works excellent with my 886. I can not thank jcalabria enough for taking the time to post the codes.

It is great to be able to do so many functions such as Dynamic EQ/Volume, speaker levels, Reon and many more directly without going into the menu. I only use the Onkyo remote when I am doing an Audyssey calibration other than that it is stored away.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 780 Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Joe,

If you look in the 876 thread I believe jcalabria posted the hex codes for the Harmony there. I have all the codes on my 688 and it works excellent with my 886. I can not thank jcalabria enough for taking the time to post the codes.

It is great to be able to do so many functions such as Dynamic EQ/Volume, speaker levels, Reon and many more directly without going into the menu. I only use the Onkyo remote when I am doing an Audyssey calibration other than that it is stored away.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill! I did discover that I can turn Dynamic Vol on/off from the remote and adjust the center and sub levels(but not the mains/rears??)

Steve, I'm only using one sub.
post #33 of 780 Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 PM

Oct 25, 2009
Fellow AVS forum Members:
I received my new Integra DHC 40.1 in the past few days and set it up this weekend. I have previous experience with the Onkyo PR SC 885p and Nuforce AVP 17 and Outlaw 990. I use this prepro both for music and theater with a 200w/channel hi quality amp and high quality speakers in all 5.1 positions . My prelim impression is that it is an excellent unit. Quite easy to set up. I did so without having to resort to the manual but I had some experience from the Onkyo 885 in the past. Setup is easier than the Onkyo 885p or Ingtegra DTC 9.8 as many options are explained with a caption at the bottom of the set up screen so some semi-obtuse or unclear terms are no longer obtuse to the operator. Sound so far is EXCELLENT. I appreciate that one can program a preferred default sound decoding option for each source (DVD, CD, phone etc. ) Programming the remote to control other items is quite easy and done through a graphic interface rather than using the manual and having to look up codes in a book as with most machines.

Some minor limitation are the lack of 7.1 analog inputs (need to use HDMI for all multichannel sound input, and the lack of 9.1 preamp outputs. One has only 7.2 outputs so one has to decide between either rear center speakers or front height speakers but not both. The Integra DHC 80.1 remedies these deficiencies but at twice the price of the the DHC 40.1. This is a very high value item at $1200 list price. Some discount is possible. I may post more as I expore the capabilities further.

For now I give this item a 4.5/5 star rating price independent and 5/5 if price dependent. I am surprised by the lack of reviews on line so far as the item is available from Integra dealers and is much more more readily available than the Integra DTC 9.8 was two or so years ago.

Docaudio
post #34 of 780 Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 AM

I have been searching the internet as well as local dealers ( Pittsburgh ) and have been unable to find a dealer that is selling this unit. Does anyone know where they can be found? Thanks Dan
post #35 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My local dealer hadn't heard of the DHC 40.1 until I asked them to special order me one. It arrived within a week. They also ordered 3 more to carry.

I've had the 40.1 for a few weeks now and so far I'm happy. I was worried about the DCDi cinema as opposed to the Reon but so far its hasn't got in my way. I've had the unit passing through native signals to my other new toy, a JVC RS-25. So far they've been a great combo. The DCDi seems to pass through native signals without introducing artifacts. I'm letting the Reon in the JVC do the upconversion.

post #36 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 PM

Liked: 17
2 questions;

1. Is there a direct/pure mode for 2 channel music (for analog vinyl and digital cd's) that bypasses all tone controls, eq, processing, etc?

2. Quite happy with the upscaled picture for sd-dvds from my JVC blu-ray player (currently using the JVC's hdmi out set at 1080p directly to my Panny plasma) would plugging in the hdmi cable to the Integra DHC-40.1 then another hdmi to my plasma add additional processing to the signal? Also my Xbox 360 is an older model that lacks hdmi, would plugging the component outs to the Integra DHC-40.1 then running them to my panny plasma via the single hdmi cable have any ill effect on the image from the 360?
post #37 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean l View Post

1. Is there a direct/pure mode for 2 channel music (for analog vinyl and digital cd's) that bypasses all tone controls, eq, processing, etc?

Direct or Pure will do it.

Quote:

2. Quite happy with the upscaled picture for sd-dvds from my JVC blu-ray player (currently using the JVC's hdmi out set at 1080p directly to my Panny plasma) would plugging in the hdmi cable to the Integra DHC-40.1 then another hdmi to my plasma add additional processing to the signal?

It might depending on how you set up the player, prepro and display.

Quote:

Also my Xbox 360 is an older model that lacks hdmi, would plugging the component outs to the Integra DHC-40.1 then running them to my panny plasma via the single hdmi cable have any ill effect on the image from the 360?

No.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #38 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry if a bad question, but does this unit have an FM tuner? thx.
post #39 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

Sorry if a bad question, but does this unit have an FM tuner? thx.

C'mon, guys.

Read the manufacturer's description: http://integrahometheater.com/model....=Separates&p=f

or the manual: http://integrahometheater.com/own_ma...?cat=Separates

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #40 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

C'mon, guys.

Read the manufacturer's description: http://integrahometheater.com/model....=Separates&p=f

or the manual: http://integrahometheater.com/own_ma...?cat=Separates

Quick to criticize.

I already checked the obvious places including those links. Where is it there? Look closer at the manual. I didn't see it in the specs either. The only tuner I see listed in the specs link is the vtuner. And the large pics of the f/r panels are terrible resolution.

It took a while but I just found it somewhere else.
post #41 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

Quick to criticize.

I already checked the obvious places including those links. Where is it there? Look closer at the manual. I didn't see it in the specs either. The only tuner I see listed in the specs link is the vtuner. And the large pics of the f/r panels are terrible resolution.

It took a while but I just found it somewhere else.

Hmm. Here's a quote from one of those pages:

Tuner Section

FM
Tuning Frequency Range 87.5 MHz- 107.9 MHz

AM
Tuning Frequency Range 530 kHz-1710 kHz
Preset Channels 40

Digital Tuner (North American Only)
SIRIUS

But I do apologize for the URL for the manual and I will correct it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #42 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Ah, I finally found it in the specs link, not the features. Hard to find. Thx for the info.
post #43 of 780 Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

It might depending on how you set up the player, prepro and display.

Ok, I have my JVC Blu Ray player set to output Blu and SD-DVD at 1080p. Will the Integra Pre reprocess the signal at all, or is there an option for it to pass through with no altering of the signal? Thanks for answering above.
post #44 of 780 Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 AM

You can set the processor to pass through
post #45 of 780 Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've tested the pass through in 1080p 60, 1080p 24, 1080i, 720p and 480i from a Tivo HD and BluRay via a PS3. In all cases the 40.1 passed the native resolution and frame rate through to my projector.

I've also got a 24 foot run of HDMI cable between the Integra and my projector. So far the long run hasn't presented any issues. Very happy with the video performance so far on a 100" screen.

post #46 of 780 Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Thx to the OP for the thread and others with the feedback so far. This processor came out of nowhere for me. I really haven't been paying much attention to the scene for a while.

I found a relatively local dealer that gave me a good price and I put a deposit down. His distributor has it in stock and I hope to get it in a week or two.

It seems like a great price with an MSRP of $1200. I had been waiting about 4 months for the Emotiva UMC-1. The Integra DHC-40.1 is similar in price and has more features so it was a no-brainer. I really look forward the the network capability. This will all be new for me.

I look forward to more member feedback on this processor.

Thx again.
post #47 of 780 Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Integra must not have let any info out on their fall lineup (Cedia, Sept. 2009)of new receivers and AV processors or I must have missed all their news updates because I was looking at the Emotiva umc/xmc and Outlaw Audio 997 and even thought about the Integra DHC 9.9. Dropped by the local dealer today and they had one demo and one at their other store 1/2 hr away (DHC 40.1). Sales rep said they are selling them like crazy. I got the last one and will pick it up tomorrow. I don't know how long it was going to take before the next shipment if I didn't go in today. Dealer had sent out $200 discount cards so I used mine and saved $100 after taxes.
post #48 of 780 Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 AM

I have lived with the 40.1 for over 2 weeks, and I like it better as time goes by. One complaint, in the direct audio mode there is no audio to the sub only the fronts. The Audyessy thinks my sub is 28' away when it is only 15'. I am using the 12V triggers to turn on my B&K amps with Parasound Scamps. Has anybody tried the IPOD UPA1 with the DHC 40.1 ? I whish there was a way to turn Audyssey on and off on the fly so I could do a comparison.
post #49 of 780 Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66mgb View Post

One complaint, in the direct audio mode there is no audio to the sub only the fronts.

Of course. That's one thing "Direct" is for: no messing with the signals.

Quote:
The Audyessy thinks my sub is 28' away when it is only 15'.

Still, it is probably correct as it is compensating for the latency of processing.

Quote:
I whish there was a way to turn Audyssey on and off on the fly so I could do a comparison.

Sure. Set your processing default for stereo to stereo (without sub) and switch between Direct and Stereo.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #50 of 780 Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Could someone bullet the highpoints of the 40.1 vs the 9.9? I understand the 40.1 has front high channels and network connectivity, any other major additions? I am looking for my first pre/pro and the discount pricing on the 9.9 may be too desireable than the few benefits the 40.1 has to offer.

Also, does matching an unbalanced amp like the Emotiva present issues with the balanced 9.9?

Many thanks -just getting my feet wet here..

2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do...
post #51 of 780 Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Looking through the manual I cannot figure out the answer, so perhaps someone with the unit can comment:

is it possible to assign video passthrough (the "Picture Adjust -> Resolution setting) per source PER output monitor?

My planned setup includes two monitors: a Panasonic plasma (which has average video processing) and a JVC projector (with an excellent Reon processor).
For DVD/Blu-ray, I'd want to set the DHC-40.1 to passthrough regardless of which monitor I use. But say for HDTV on cable, if I watched the projector, I'd prefer to set the 40.1 to passthrough, as the Reon is superior to the Faroudja DCDI processor in the 40.1, whereas if I watched the plasma, I'd prefer to to use the 40.1's DCDI video processing over that in the plasma.

Is that possible?
post #52 of 780 Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife View Post

Also, does matching an unbalanced amp like the Emotiva present issues with the balanced 9.9?

None whatever as it also has single-ended RCA outputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #53 of 780 Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

None whatever as it also has single-ended RCA outputs.

Thanks Kal for the reply. Based on a quote I received, for just under 1k, I don't see any reason to go for the 9.9 which costs more and really adds no benefit (to me anyway). I am anxious to see how this Integra paired with the emotiva 7ch amp sounds compared to my 13 year old Yamaha receiver!

Off topic, but can someone recommend a good all-in-one remote? Is the Harmony One good? I hate to spend more than 250 on a remote but it is important that the wife can easily operate this fine equipment w/o getting frustrated.

Thanks!

post #54 of 780 Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
@ Kal,
Do you think that the 40.1 would be a nice upgrade from a Lexicon MC-1? My primary focus is movies with bluray. I have a 7.1 setup with paradigm ref speakers and an epik sub. Do you think the room correction alone is worth it? MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone who can reply to this

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #55 of 780 Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife View Post

Thanks Kal for the reply. Based on a quote I received, for just under 1k, I don't see any reason to go for the 9.9 which costs more and really adds no benefit (to me anyway). I am anxious to see how this Integra paired with the emotiva 7ch amp sounds compared to my 13 year old Yamaha receiver!

Off topic, but can someone recommend a good all-in-one remote? Is the Harmony One good? I hate to spend more than 250 on a remote but it is important that the wife can easily operate this fine equipment w/o getting frustrated.

Thanks!

Highlife,

I believe the 40.1 and the Emotiva amp will be a very nice improvement over your well aged Yamaha receiver.

I would highly recommend the Harmony for a universal remote. I have the 688 which is several years old and is a fairly basic model. I have no experience with the Harmony One but the 688 makes operating my multi component/input system very simple for myself and my family. I would be lost without it.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #56 of 780 Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Do you think the room correction alone is worth it?

Yes.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #57 of 780 Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Highlife,

I believe the 40.1 and the Emotiva amp will be a very nice improvement over your well aged Yamaha receiver.

I would highly recommend the Harmony for a universal remote. I have the 688 which is several years old and is a fairly basic model. I have no experience with the Harmony One but the 688 makes operating my multi component/input system very simple for myself and my family. I would be lost without it.

Bill

Bill Mac, I think I have seen you on the Ascend forum, thanks for your reply. I have an Ascend CMT 340 and (to be) CBM 170 7.1 set-up, with an SVS PC 20-39 sub. Can't wait to set everything up with the aforementioned 40.1, Emotiva and Oppo Blue Ray. A HArmony remote will be added for sake of ease. Will be viewing via a 106" screen and Epson 8100 projector. So yeah, big change coming. Love my 42" panny plasma, but not quite theater material.

Good times!

Happy Halloween
-Highlife

post #58 of 780 Old 11-01-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How do you (or can you?) stream Pandora on this unit? I was gonna bite on the 9.9, but if this unit can do this, and with ease, I will probably bite...

Also, has anyone here gone from a older, non room correcting high-end pre/pro to something with Audyssey? Was there a noticable improvement in SQ? thanks,

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #59 of 780 Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have downloaded the 40.1 user's manual but I couldn't figure this out: can you assigned different resolutions on the 2 HDMI outputs? E.g. pass-thru/1080p on the "MAIN" HDMI output and 720p only on the "SUB"? If yes, can you toggle between the two without going through the setup menu every time? Anyone? Thanks!

Reasons: instead of selling my old 720p projector I want to use it for TV and causal gaming and get a new 1080p (probably an AE4000) for movies, etc.
post #60 of 780 Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM

Anyone ID the Onkyo equivalent of the 40.1 yet?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page