Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 780 Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey DHC 40.1 folks....
Still really happy with my DHC....just wondering if there is a NEW firmware update as of Oct/Nov of this year '10........if so, what are the upgrades/fixes?? thanks,

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 780 Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems that the differences between the DHC 40.1 and 40.2 are minimal. The fact that the DHC 40.2 can be used in a pass-through while its in stby was a big deal but it seems the 40.1 can do this also.

From the DHC 40.1 manual regarding RIHD:

When set to On, regardless of whether the AV controller is On or on Standby, both audio and video received
by an HDMI input will be output by the HDMI output for playback on the TV or other component that's
connected to the HDMI output.

I can't find any info on what DAC's the 40.1 uses but the brochure for the 40.2 says they are Burr-Brown PCM1690's. Are these considered high DAC's??
Does the 40.1 use the same DAC?
post #753 of 780 Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 11
Hey DHC 40.1 folks....
Still really happy with my DHC....just wondering if there is a NEW firmware update as of Oct/Nov of this year '10........if so, what are the upgrades/fixes?? thanks,

There was a firmware upgrade on 10/01/2010 but not sure what the changes were. The people I bought my DHC from was kind enough to do the upgrade. Is there a place to see what the firmware upgrades address?

Thanks,

David Tester
Tarheel Born, Tarheel bred, Tarheel till I die!!!

"Don't Worry, Don't Hurry" Cinemas
HT Construction Thread
post #754 of 780 Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtesterunc View Post

Is there a place to see what the firmware upgrades address?

All you need to do is go to the firmware listing page on Integra's website, pick the model you are looking to update, D/L the PDF with the instructions on how to do the update and read it. At beginning of the instructions it also contains brief rundown on what was added, changed or fixed in the new version, and also for all the prior versions.

Here is the firmware D/L page for ALL models

http://integrahometheater.com/download_firmware.cfm

This is the direct link for the PDF of the instructions for how to apply the 10/01/2010 firmware update to the 40.1, and which also includes the brief rundown of what was added, changed or fixed in the new firmware.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...753c7832752336
post #755 of 780 Old 11-12-2010, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the help! For some reason I just didn't see the PDF part.

Thanks,

David Tester

HT Construction Thread
post #756 of 780 Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dismantled my screen wall. Installed my height channel speakers. Ran 50' of speaker wire through the joists of the ceiling. Got to the back of the Integra and discovered that I apparently have to choose "rear surround" or an effects channel ! Say it isn't so! Am I overlooking the obvious?

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #757 of 780 Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hope this thread isn't too old to bump... Just saw a DHC 40.1 at my dealer that has been in use as their demo. It's marked down to $650 -- is that a decent price? $650 is my max budget so I've also been looking at the Marantz 6005. Any thoughts on which will provide more bang for the buck? I don't need amplification or HDMI 1.4a...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #758 of 780 Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 AM

If it's in perfect working confition, that's a geat price.
post #759 of 780 Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
RAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

All you need to do is go to the firmware listing page on Integra's website, pick the model you are looking to update, D/L the PDF with the instructions on how to do the update and read it. At beginning of the instructions it also contains brief rundown on what was added, changed or fixed in the new version, and also for all the prior versions.

Here is the firmware D/L page for ALL models

http://integrahometheater.com/download_firmware.cfm

This is the direct link for the PDF of the instructions for how to apply the 10/01/2010 firmware update to the 40.1, and which also includes the brief rundown of what was added, changed or fixed in the new firmware.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...753c7832752336

Thanks for the links!

I reviewed the enhancements. I do have problems with TCP/IP control, mostly I need to pull the power cord about once per week to reestablish the connection. The firmware update may help this. I do not use DHCP so I don't understand why the communications quit after awhile.

The 40.1 versus the 40..2 is lacking a feature to save Pandora channels as presets. This is a big gap in functionality as it makes it very difficult to program a remote to bring up Pandora on a selected channel. Maybe a future update will fix this.
post #760 of 780 Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My guess is, that you probably will not see anymore newer firmware updates for the 40.1, as Onkyo/Integra does not have a good past history of supporting discontinued models with any new firmware updates. Actually, just going by what they have done before in the past, once a new model comes out, they pretty much don't even seem to care at all about fixing any possible leftover operating bugs that there may still be in the previous models.
post #761 of 780 Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP View Post

Thanks for the links!

I reviewed the enhancements. I do have problems with TCP/IP control, mostly I need to pull the power cord about once per week to reestablish the connection. The firmware update may help this. I do not use DHCP so I don't understand why the communications quit after awhile.

The 40.1 versus the 40..2 is lacking a feature to save Pandora channels as presets. This is a big gap in functionality as it makes it very difficult to program a remote to bring up Pandora on a selected channel. Maybe a future update will fix this.

I have the same issue with the IP connection. Pulling the plug seems to fix it, but it is sort of a pain.
post #762 of 780 Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 AM

Same issue with ip control. Drives me nuts. My dealer had offered me an opportunity to trade to a marantz. Might take him up on it just for this issue.
post #763 of 780 Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This Christmas brings a new iPad into our home. I'm trying to integrate it into the home theater and noticed the free Integra Remote App. I thought I could use this app for wifi control of the 40.1 After much work, I couldn't get the app to recognize the 40.1 in the network? So I gave up and called Integra. They replied that the .1 models do not have this ability.

My second goal was to start using RIHD control to operate the basic features on my PS3. I couldn't get that to work either, and Integra said it is not possible. However, I've seen folks on the internet claiming that it works???

Does anyone have any experience that might shed some light on the possibilities here? Thanks so much.

Tony

Construction Thread
post #764 of 780 Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

This Christmas brings a new iPad into our home. I'm trying to integrate it into the home theater ......
My second goal was to start using RIHD control to operate the basic features on my PS3. I couldn't get that to work either, and Integra said it is not possible. However, I've seen folks on the internet claiming that it works???

Does anyone have any experience that might shed some light on the possibilities here? Thanks so much.

Tony

Tony unfortunately the universal remote thing for the iPad has not progressed as much as I would like. I still do not know of a way to use the iPad unless you buy a third party program. (hope someone proves me wrong as I would love it if it did). You will need to buy something like iRule, Gear4, Redeye, or NewKinetix. Also with the PS3 you will have to have the IR dongle that Sony sells or one of these Schmartz PS3IRX1 and PS3IR-1000.

I personally am looking very seriously at the Newkinetix. It looks promising but each vendor has a list of pros & cons a mile long and so far none of them will do everything. I'm still spoiled by my Harmony and I'm not sure there is much better at the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

David Tester

HT Construction Thread
post #765 of 780 Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

David, I found two less expensive options that hold some promise. Oremote and onkotron (app at itunes) Oremote shows partial support of the 40.1. Album art and search features won't work, but seems all else will. There is one guy that posted feedback that his is controlling the PS3 as well, through RIHD (HDMI controlling).

I'm going to continue researching these options for a few reasons. WiFi control would be superior to IR control. The cost is only $5. Heck, at that price, it's worth it to just take a chance and see what happens.

The options you list seem promising too, but cost much more and require the IR adapter. I think that would be cumbersome and end up broken. Ours is a "family" ipad, and the kids will surely treat it like kids do.

Somehow, when I was in the network menus, I changed something that caused me to loose my server connection to the 40.1 It throws up an error now when I try to go to "Net". Don't know what I could have done? There's not that many options there.

Another thought with remote options is that I WILL BE BUILDING an HTPC sometime in the next few months. At that point, XBMC will be my interface. There are free apps that control XBMC. Once I'm doing that, then 90% of my remote needs would be met going that route. And I know the HTPC would be easier to configure for wifi control. Probably should just wait, but Oremote is so cheap that it's worth it just to experiment.

Construction Thread
post #766 of 780 Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

David, I found two less expensive options that hold some promise. Oremote and onkotron (app at itunes)

Understand. After looking at those two options I don't see where they will control every piece of equipment I have. I still love my Harmony. It does everything I need with the exception of the PS3.
My plan is to buy a dedicated blu-ray player the 1st of the year and use it for blu-rays and streaming and leave the ps3 for gaming. That should solve 99% of my remote shortcomings.

Let me know how the HTPC goes. I talked extensively with Assassin (he is a great guy) but just not sold on the amount of money and trouble those things will take. Working with computers everyday I realize the amount of work that will involve to do it right and keep it running. Hope it works well for you!

Thanks,

David Tester

HT Construction Thread
post #767 of 780 Old 12-22-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

You're correct, those options will only control the 40.1 and supposedly any equipment that is RIHD compatible (ps3). I have used my standalone bluray player for awhile, but its so much slower than the the PS3. Be sure to get one that is not.

I must admit, part of the interest is just the "cool factor" of using a pad. I have a Harmony as well, and it's been fantastic for 10 years. It still does the job, but it's boring after all these years.

Jelloslug has offered to have a machine building party at his place sometime. Several guys in the club want one. I will also have him sign contract for several years of free service.

Construction Thread
post #768 of 780 Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

In looking closer at some of the options you listed, irule (for instance) doesn't use a plug in IR emitter like I assumed. And, it's really not that expensive. Hmmmm. This will give me good research topic for over the holidays.

Construction Thread
post #769 of 780 Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 14
Fast forward two years since my DHC-40.1 purchase - I'm wondering if anyone here who loves audio music listening has since replaced their Integra DHC 40.1 preamp with something else and why?

Note: I love the 40.1 for my home theater setup, sounds great for Blu-Ray movies using my back-end B&K amplifiers. However, I believe the DHC 40.1 could be a little smoother for dedicated two channel audio listening. Don't get me wrong, sounds really good, but not plush like my former audio preamps did. Or, maybe its doing the job its suppose to for movies and I'm confused trying to make it the best for both needs. I've since added the firmware upgrade to the 40.1 which seemed to help stabilize switching a bit. However, for audio listening only, I'm considering going back to and re-building a separate two channel system with a separate preamp or tube DAC preamp setup. If I don't do that, I'll either replace the DHC 40.1 preamp or try a more current CD/Blu-Ray player instead of replacing my DHC-40.1

Just wondering if A) anyone here on the AVS forum has since found a great replacement audio/video do-it-all preamp for both functions, or B) I might go a different route and just use the money to upgrade my current CD and Blue Ray player instead to one of the current generation Oppo units to see if that helps some on the audio side, thus keeping my DHC-40.1 preamp. Which way to go, replace the DHC-40.1 or upgrade to the new Oppo 105 player for better audio quality, not sure.

Anyone here in the same boat considering either A or B upgrade paths by chance? If so, what are your thoughts or observations based on your own listening tests?

Thanks in advance for your replies to this old DHC 40.1 thread.
post #770 of 780 Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

dhc40.2 ?
post #771 of 780 Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Turned on my DHC40.1today and nothing. No sound no picture.
This is the second time this has happened. It's been in for service once and I have used it about 10 times since I got it back from repair.
I'm pretty frustrated with this piece.
I contacted integra and left a call back message. I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow.
In the meantime I am going to pull the trigger on the oppo 103 so I can use it as a preamp while (or when) the 40.1 is down.
Has anyone used the oppo as a preamp?
Has anyone else experienced these hdmi switching problems with the 40.1?
post #772 of 780 Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I really wish Integra would release a DHC-40.5 preamp/processor. The DHC-40.x series really hit the sweet spot for pre/pros in their day, too bad they discontinued the 40 series pre/pros with the DHC-40.3 model. Integra's current "base model" pre/pro (DHC-60.5) is way too expensive at $2,000.
post #773 of 780 Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM

I have an Integra DTR 40.1 and am looking for an App that will control it. I have tried Integra's own and it does not work. Has anyone found something that does? Any insight would be appreciated.
post #774 of 780 Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM

DROC, if you have an iPad, try ONKYO remote.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #775 of 780 Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a new preamp/processor to replace the DHC-40.1? Basically I'd like a pre/pro that does everything the DHC-40.1 does, but also passes 3D. It'd like the price to be similar to the DHC-40.1 too, i.e., $1,000-$1,200 or thereabouts.

There are a variety of good pre/pros on the market, but it seems like they start at $2,000 or more. Even Integra no longer sells a DHC-40.x model, their "low end" pre/pro is the DHC-60.5 which starts at $2k. frown.gif

Now that the low-end pre/pro market seems to be dead, does everyone simply use pre-outs from receivers now, on the low end?
post #776 of 780 Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM

There is one out there called the O Remote. Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks a lot for the help!
post #777 of 780 Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Feedback appreciated - I've not been on the AVS forum much the past few years since I bought my Integra DHC-40.1 and recently picked up an Integra DBS-50.3 BluRay player.

This past summer an AVS member here sent me a message offering to purchase my Integra pre-pro and Blu Ray player unit last summer, not a scam, a legit offer. I held off on selling. I referred him to look for other used DHC-40.1 units. I guess they don't come up that often, I'm not sure... Fast forward a few months, a friend is considering selling me his recently new McIntosh gear and I was going to sell my Integra stuff in advance to buy his gear. He's on the fence about selling his, and only if I sell mine first; not a for sure deal. Before I part with my gear, I need to have a contingency plan in case I need to replace it again later.

I'm noticing both new and used prices are higher than I recall from last year on (new or used) HDMI capable preamp processors for whatever reason, and Integra cut out a range or something. Seems like it sort of jumped $700 to $1000 for the same thing you could buy 12-16 months ago... not sure why, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places or understanding... or maybe its because of new features, or something else? Again, I've been out of the AVS forum loop for a while.

Questions:
Does anyone have any ideas why there is no new $1600-$1800 range Integra HDMI Preamp Processors any more? Will they replace the DHC-40.1/40.2 with a comparable 40.5 type unit vs. paying big $$$ for the 60.5 or 80.x units - confused?
If I sold my gear, and my other deal fell through, what else is available these days in the new $2000 range for a quality HDMI preamp processor that also offers a matching bluray player like Integra does?
post #778 of 780 Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 PM

It seems like preamp/processors have moved almost exclusively upmarket in the past few years. There's not that much on the low end anymore. It seems strange that Integra hasn't come out with a DHC-40.5.

The closest equivalent I've seen in the same ballpark features & price range is the Marantz AV7701. Marantz also sells the UD5007 Blu-ray player.

Also note that Marantz receivers such as the SR5008 also have full preamp outputs, so you could get one of those and use it as a preamp only.
post #779 of 780 Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Yeah, I'm going to hang on to my DHC-40.1 prepro for a while and see how the new Ultra HD 4K shakes out for audio-video prepro manufacturers over the next 12-18 months.

I sure like NAD's idea of a modular unit with hardware replaceable cards for their pre-pro unit. Will be interesting to see where this settles down again on 4k before 8k comes around. I spoke to one major source provider manufacturer who stated they are not making prepros any more (none) because it is just too costly to keep up with the required in-house R&D costs for hardware and software development. It's easy to see why cheap throw-away AVR receiver units have taken over separates again.
post #780 of 780 Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Does anyone know, if in direct mode. Are the speakers still crossed over at the crossover setting or do they run full range??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page