Integra DHC 40.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 780 Old 09-24-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone here tried this unit? Please post your opinions.
I am wondering if the MultiEQXT in the DHC 80.1 is the same as the Multi EQ in the DHC 40.1 in the subwoofer domain?
How radically different is the resolution of the filters in the sub 100Hz range?
Thanks,
-Jai
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/592518.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 780 Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Liked: 10
According to Audyssey it's not much different in the lower frequencies.But the XT is better everywhere else.I don't think the 40.1 is out yet for audition though.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/m...solutions.html
post #3 of 780 Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
Based on queries to both my local dealer and Onkyo customer support, the DHC 40.1 is "available" in the US.
post #4 of 780 Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

Based on queries to both my local dealer and Onkyo customer support, the DHC 40.1 is "available" in the US.

yes, it is currently shipping.
alan in cc,tx
post #5 of 780 Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have one at home now. Finished setting up Audyssey but haven't had time for ETF measurements. Watched part of "Earth" in DTS-HD MA. Too early to post impressions. I ran into an issue with Audyssey with one of the amps going on protect mode. Had to rerun Audyssey to fix it. Will post more details as time permits. Stay tuned
post #6 of 780 Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

I have one at home now. Finished setting up Audyssey but haven't had time for ETF measurements. Watched part of "Earth" in DTS-HD MA. Too early to post impressions. I ran into an issue with Audyssey with one of the amps going on protect mode. Had to rerun Audyssey to fix it. Will post more details as time permits. Stay tuned

Any updates?
post #7 of 780 Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 AM

I second the request for updates. I've got a DHC-40.1 on order with my local dealer and would really like to hear the impressions the unit has made on someone who has one. You could be the subject matter expert

post #8 of 780 Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 AM

I am on the waiting list with my dealer too.Any idea what this will cost?
Any first impressions on the unit?

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Peachtree x10 USB to SPDIF=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #9 of 780 Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Pile View Post

I second the request for updates. I've got a DHC-40.1 on order with my local dealer and would really like to hear the impressions the unit has made on someone who has one. You could be the subject matter expert

I will post my updates this weekend. Sorry it is taking this long. My initial impressions are good.
post #10 of 780 Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post

My first impression is that it is a fantastic unit for the price. If you don't need XLRs, then this one hits the sweet spot. Makes the unit more compact. A lot smaller than my previous DTC 9.8. I really don't miss the Reon as I mostly do passthru. You probably can find one for around $1200.
post #11 of 780 Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's been an awfully busy weekend and first I apologize for taking this long to post my impressions. This is by no means a review but my hope is that it provides some insight into end-user experience with the DHC 40.1 as there is almost no information out there on user opinions.

This unit replaces my almost 2 year old Integra DTC 9.8. I usually don't replace pre-amps within 2 years but circumstances caused this change. I experienced the DTS bomb issue (google for it) with my integra 9.8 for the first time and that caused me to go to the dealer for a firmware update on the DSP. While I got the issue fixed, the guy who helped me with the update mentioned about the 40.1. Usually, I don't get suckered into it, but if I were to spend just a couple of hundreds more why not give it a try... so this happened. The main intent was to experiment with dynamic volume and dynamic eq.

Brought the unit home, did the connections and fired up audyssey, and when I was done, the unit sounded awful and every time I switched from TV source to Blu-ray, there was a strange loud sound from the surroud back left channel and the citation amp powering the SBL went into protect mode. Did a lot of sanity checks and everything looked right. Removing the SBL input into the amp fixed the issue, but then what on earth was going on? I tried turning off "Audyssey" and the problem went away. So the next logical thing to do was to redo Audssey. So this time when I started Audyssey, I noticed that the DSX (google for it) defaulted to front high/wide. I set the rears to surround back and repeated Audyssey. Once done, sounded beautiful (after making Audyssey stick, details further down in the post), just like my DTC 9.8. My biggest concern was the lack of resolution with MultiEQ on this unit compared to MultiEQ XT on the DTC 9.8. Did some measurements with ETF (too detailed to explain here, maybe sometime later.....) and found that the Low Frequency response (sub 100Hz) looked as good as the DTC 9.8. So that made the worry go away and hey, the unit sounded very nice. I tried Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume (DEQ and DV) and this is my first impression. These are very nice features, but IMHO I wouldn't shell out $500 or more for just those features especially if you are going to be listening close to reference volume. The reason I say this is because I tried listening to my favorite movies and tracks at -6 master volume and there was almost no difference between turning DEQ and DV on. So if you mostly listen close to reference, save your $s if DEQ and DV are your only reasons to upgrade.
Now if you start dialing down to -9 and -15, boy does it make a difference. It sure sounded a lot better with DEQ on at MV -15 as compared to DEQ Off. I wanted to see why, so I measured with ETF again (someday I will post these charts so you can actually see the dynamics at work). There was about a 3dB boost in the LFE octaves with DEQ turned on. With Dynamic volume, there are 3 levels; light, medium and Heavy. I mostly prefer light, sometimes medium and rarely heavy. Heavy seems to muffle the voices and I find myself turning the volume all the way up.
There is surely an issue with Audyssey in this unit. I have tried this several times. Once Audyssey is done, the equalizer setting defaults to Audyssey but for some reason Audyssey doesn't stick. I realized this when I noticed no difference with Audyssey turned on vs off. I measured and the frequency response (FR) looked identical. Thankfully turning off Audyssey and turning it back on, gave me a nice flatter response. Strange why I have to do this. Hopefully, integra is listening and will addresss this with a firmware update if all 40.1 units have this bug. It is no big issue because it is a one-time thing where you turn off audyssey and turn it back on and it sticks. The novice user maybe fooled into thinking that he/she is listening to Audyseey when sadly it maybe a placebo experiment. So if you don't have measurment equipment similar to mine (I use ETF with a galaxy CM-140 mic and an RME sound card) once you are done with Audyssey, just turn it off and on a few times, maybe turn off the unit and turn it back on (reboot) just to make sure it sticks.
Overall, fantastic unit for the price of sub $1.5K. Can't go wrong. If you can find one for close to $1K simply grab it. There are a lot more things to say like how nice the new processing modes sound with 2 ch sources, but I will leave that to others. I love the streaming audio feature that allows me to access my music server database. Awesome feature! Made me go buy a Roku 1001 for the living room.
Enjoy!
I will try to address questions as they pop up. Again, thank you for being patient with me. If I had the time, I would have written a professional review with all the bells and whistles, but honestly, this is what I can do now and hope this helps.
Always,
-Jai
post #12 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Looks like the 40.1 uses the same 24bit Burr Brown Dacs as the 9.8/9.9. However, the 80.1 must have something new, because it lists 32bit Burr Brown Dacs in its manual. As such, I would think that the 40.1 performance is roughly the same as the 9.8/9.9 except to the extent of the Audissey differences. How much better the audio of the 80.1 is remains to be seen... or rather heard.
post #13 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

jmcomp124, thank you very much for your feedback !

Does anyone know when the 80.1 will ship ?
post #14 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Looks like the 40.1 uses the same 24bit Burr Brown Dacs as the 9.8/9.9. However, the 80.1 must have something new, because it lists 32bit Burr Brown Dacs in its manual. As such, I would think that the 40.1 performance is roughly the same as the 9.8/9.9 except to the extent of the Audissey differences. How much better the audio of the 80.1 is remains to be seen... or rather heard.

The biggest difference in the 80.1 would be the MultiEQ XT vs MultiEQ and the HQV Reon. 32bit burr brown vs 24 bit maybe just a miniscule difference if any but rather the design around the DACs if different would be more noticeable if someone is doing 2-ch stereo listening. Then there is the XLRs with the 80.1 if the amps use XLRs. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison with the 9.8, but the MultiEQ XT vs MultiEQ was pretty much the same in terms of audio performance. Now this would be very room dependant and a very difficult comparison to do.
post #15 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
amt

Liked: 12
I am trying to decide between a 40.1 and a refurb 886. These might be roughly the same price. Other than the DSX, anything missing on the 886 that the 40.1 has?
post #16 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

Anytime

The Dynamic EQ has a reference level setting of 5, 10 and 15dB to compensate for recording differences. It would have been nice to have a preset to default to a reference level based on the source. It appears not to have that. Same with Dynamic volume, some presets for light, medium and heavy would have been nice. For some TV sources (example Larry King Live)
even 15dB at heavy sounded boomy. Since I usually have the woofers turned off for TV sources like these, this is again not a big issue.
It would be great to hear more opinions on this unit.
post #17 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
can the 40.1 do Audyssey PRO?
Also, how do you stream internet radio on this unit? (if it can be done)
Thanks,

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #18 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Also, how do you stream internet radio on this unit? (if it can be done)
Thanks,

The 40.1 has MultiEQ, I am not sure what you mean by can it do Audssey pro?
The internet radio and music streaming from a media server is very similar to the Roku. I couldn't get Sirius (7 day free trial) to work and for some reason the 40.1 could not connect to the Sirius server. Didn't pursue on the issue.
post #19 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

According to Integra, the only new models that are AudysseyPro compatible are the DHC-80.1, DTR-80.1 and the DTR-70.1.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #20 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

According to Integra, the only new models that are AudysseyPro compatible are the DHC-80.1, DTR-80.1 and the DTR-70.1.

Kal,
You probably know the answer to this. Is there a way to tie DEQ reference levels and DVol levels (light, Medium, Heavy, None) to a certain source?
For example, while playing Blu-ray, I would prefer DEQ with reference level 0, and DVol light. While playing CDs, I would prefer DEQ with reference level 15 and Dvol, Medium. I am not sure if the DHC 40.1 can do this. Do other receivers/pre-amps support this?
post #21 of 780 Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

Kal,
You probably know the answer to this. Is there a way to tie DEQ reference levels and DVol levels (light, Medium, Heavy, None) to a certain source?
For example, while playing Blu-ray, I would prefer DEQ with reference level 0, and DVol light. While playing CDs, I would prefer DEQ with reference level 15 and Dvol, Medium. I am not sure if the DHC 40.1 can do this. Do other receivers/pre-amps support this?

I have no idea. Never (yet) used a device with either DEQ or DVol.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #22 of 780 Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

we may b taking pre-orders starting this Monday, but the rep is non-committal at this point.
alan in cc,tx
post #23 of 780 Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the MSRP is $1200. we have not ordered any yet.
alan in cc,tx
post #24 of 780 Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Just curious if anyone had anymore comments on the dhc 40.1 Jmcomp, thanks for your review. Are the on-screen menus similar to the 9.8/9.9? Any problems with HDMI handshake? Would you say the 2 channel performance is on par with to the 9.8?
post #25 of 780 Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

units sell for 1200. retail.
they started shipping 2 weeks ago.
alan
post #26 of 780 Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM

I've got to say I'm really excited about the 80.1. I'll be done finishing my basement in a few weeks and will have a dedicated listening room down there. Over the last 6 months, I've been amassing a stable full of 5 Hafler XL 600's, a pair of modded Magnepan 2.6's, a pair of Magnepan 1.6's, and 2 pair of Magnepan SMGa's. I plan on running the Hafler's in bridged mode to my mains and rears. The Maggies are 4 ohms, so I'll be getting close to 1000 watts to each of the large speakers. Then I'll play around with different configuations for the SMGa's for the other channels. I also have two Monitor Audio RSW12 subs.

I built the room from scratch, based on a "Golden Trapagon" design from George Cardas, and will be experimenting with different absorptive and diffusive materials on the walls.

I think the 80.1 is going to be great down there!
post #27 of 780 Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 PM

I Got a 40.1 on the 16th and got it up and running ,with Magnepans 2.7s on the front a Magnepan center and Paradigm rears, all driven by B&K Amps.I use a PS3 to output 7.1 PCM to it. I use a Sony 60" KDS A3000 for the video. I am very impressed with the Network Radio stations, Pandora as well as The Vtune which got me some of my local stations. I live in area with NO radio reception so it was a big plus. I ran a quick setup of Audyssey for 3 positions before listening to a few Blu rays. My system has never sounded so good. I plan to change the rears to Magnepans too and move the Paradigm's so I can have 7.1 setup.
post #28 of 780 Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Suh-weet! How do you like the Maggie Center and which one is it?
post #29 of 780 Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM

I've been running one in my system for the last few days and so far so good. I have a Rotel 1095 amp and B&W speakers/SVS sub. I'm also using a PS3 to output 5.1 pcm. While I haven't had time to watch a whole movie, I am impressed so far. I was using a B&K Ref 50 before, but so far I think the Integra sounds better as far as HT goes. This was my first experience with Audyssey, besides setting the crossover on my speakers to low I think it did a good job. I hear more coming from my rear speakers then I ever did. Dynamic EQ works great when listening at low volumes (we have a 22 month old, tough to crank it during the night). I haven't tried any video processing yet, but the picture from my PS3 doesn't seem to show any ill effect from passing through the 40.1. I won't be able to try it's Network capabilites until I move my modem and router, I'll report back early next week.

My one major gripe is the remote. Cmon Integra how can you give us a remote without backlighting!! It would also be nice to be able to adjust speakers settings on the fly from it and to have direct access to Dynamic EQ/Volume. I have an old Harmony and the DHC 9.9 codes (the 40.1 codes are not up yet) seem to work fine. I'm pretty sure I've read that there are codes for direct access to Dynamic Eq/Volume for the 9.9 but I haven't been able to find them.

One question- Audyssey is suppose to set reference volume at 0, but boy that seems REALLY loud in my set-up.....is that normal or should I re-run Audyssey?
post #30 of 780 Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

jmcomp124 or other owners, Do you have dual subs? Do you know if the 40.1 will allow separate settings (level, distance and Audyssey filters) for each sub? Thanks.

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page