Onkyo Video issue - iPOD Dock UP-A1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help!

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR807 AV receiver and a UP-A1 iPOD Dock. I have a 120GB iPOD classic (video), which is supposed to be compatible. The problem is that I don't get any menus on the OSD except my iPOD's "music" menu - no Video menu, etc. I can't navigate above the "music" menu. I get the OSD, it will play the music, but no video.

I read a post that said you have to add a composite video connection from the receiver to the TV (which makes no sense to me), but I tried that, too - to no avail.

I submitted a question online to Onkyo support (twice) - no answer. I called them today and they said they'll try it out and call me to tomorrow to tell me if it will work! All their marketing material says it's designed for this and compatible with my equipment, but that's all they had to say. The UP-A1 manual says check the Onkyo website for more info (none), and the 807 manual said make sure TV out is set on the iPOD (it is).

The UP-A1 is connected to my universal port and my HDMI out goes to my TV. Anybody have answers??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I never got an answer/reply from anyone, so I figured maybe nobody knew the answer. However, I finally did get an answer from Onkyo that I thought might help someone else. I have an TX-NR807, iPOD Classic 120G (video), and the UP-A1. My problem was the OSD only showed the iPOD "Music" submenu (no "Videos", "Photos", etc.), so I could never get videos on my screen (connected via HDMI).

Here was their solution:

"Sorry for the delay in responding to your e-mail inquiry about the TX-NR807 and the UP-A1 iPod dock. In order to show the current song playing from the iPod to the TV you need to press and hold the Display button on the remote for the TX-NR807 to turn the OSD menu on and you will than be able to see the iPod information on the TV screen. To display the videos from the iPod press the Display button again to turn the OSD off for the dock."

So, it actually does work. You can't use the OSD to navigate to videos, which is stupid IMO, but when you press Display it returns control to the iPOD. Then you can manually find the video you want and play it. The remote control does still control navigation, but I can't see the iPOD display from across the room, so I still have to go over to the console. Oh well!

Hope that helps someone else!
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The way it works with my 3007 receiver is that I had to switch to the standard mode for viewing video and Extended mode to have the playlist show up. So the following is how it works:
Port -> Display -> Blue screen on TV (Standard Mode) = Plays video by using ipod navigation.
-> Display -> PlayList, Album etc (Extended Mode) = Plays music only and no video.

The equipment I have been using, Onkyo TX-NR3007, iPodTouch 2nd Gen, and UP-A1. I hope this helps some one.

HT Setup: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM

does anyone have and pictures of this mythical enhanced display. I was just curious if it looks any better than my old DS-A2 (which looks like ancient DOS text).
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM

I too am having problems with the UP-A1. I have the Onkyo TX-SR507 connected by HDMI to a Samsung UN32B6000 LED TV. Although I was advised by Onkyo tech support that the UP-A1 is compatible I have not been able to get video from an iPod Touch 32G to output to the Sammy ("no signal" is all that displays). Audio does get to the speakers. I have tried all suggestions in this thread, and the manual is fairly useless. Any further suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Keep in mind the Onkyo receivers DO NOT convert from one video format to another. Since the video coming out of your iPod is NOT HDMI, the HDMI output on the receiver will not carry that video to your TV.

If you connect an old-fashioned RCA cable from the "monitor out" on the receiver to an input on your TV, you will get video from your iPod. It's certainly not high def, but it's very watchable.

You will NOT see any on-screen menus unless you have one of the more expensive Onkyo receivers. But it works fine for playing music videos, home movies, etc.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Just confirmed with tech support that Monitor Out is the only was to go. No HDMI out unless you have a 'top end' recieved like 7xx and above. What a pain. Would be nice not to have to keep switching inputs on the TV just to use iPod.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Having same issue as everyone else. Just got the HT-S6200 with the HT-R670 receiver. I just want the onscreen display when using the ipod. It does play a video (via yellow cable) from my ipod but I don't have an ipod to shoot videos, I have one to play music and being able to see the playlists on the tv screen is important to me. I tried

Port -> Display -> Blue screen on TV (Standard Mode) = Plays video by using ipod navigation.
-> Display -> PlayList, Album etc (Extended Mode) = Plays music only and no video.

When I press the "display" button, all it says is PRT Stereo. When I keep it pressed, it says "Unknown ---> Off". What is that? How do I know if my receiver has this "enhanced" feature or not? I call Onkyo support and the guy actually said, "well, it works on some and not on others". Say what??? Then he went on to blame Apple.

I may sell it if I can't get OSD. Any ideas of a dock that is compatible and has a nice OSD as well as sound?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM

I have an Onkyo TX-SR608. I bought the Onkyo UP-A1 dock as it was supposed to be compatible with my receiver and IPOD Nano. I can get audio through the dock but not video. It is not an issue of the OSD not working. It acts like it wants to display the video as it goes to a white screen and flickers (while audio is playing) but can never display the video. I am using an HDMI cable and have read others saying it won't work with that. Onkyo support was no help at all. It is not the dock itself not working as the unit had been changed out. Any help would be appreciated.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordchick View Post

I have an Onkyo TX-SR608. I bought the Onkyo UP-A1 dock as it was supposed to be compatible with my receiver and IPOD Nano. I can get audio through the dock but not video. It is not an issue of the OSD not working. It acts like it wants to display the video as it goes to a white screen and flickers (while audio is playing) but can never display the video. I am using an HDMI cable and have read others saying it won't work with that. Onkyo support was no help at all. It is not the dock itself not working as the unit had been changed out. Any help would be appreciated.

I can also get audio but no OSD or Video.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Hello, everyone. It's my first post, nice to meet you all. I have an Onkyo TX SR608 with a Samsung LCD and the UP-A1. There is one HDMI cable between receiver and TV.

Here's my interesting twist on the UP-A1 vs. iPod conundrum.

I share bedfordchick's exact difficulties with displaying video on an iPod nano (5th gen). Songs play without a problem. I can use the on screen display through my TV to navigate and play music from the iPod with ease. When I attempt to play a movie or video clip, I get audio, no problem. However, video consists of a series of flickering black and blue screens, with my television alternatively losing and regaining the signal.

However, when I attach a first-gen iPod touch and play a video clip, it works flawlessly. I can even select video clips directly from the onscreen iPod menu on my TV and play them instantly. Like having a little miniature DVR that I can control from across the room.

So why does the Touch work fine through the HDMI, while the Nano only produces audio?

It looks like the Nano is genuinely trying to get a signal lock, but just can't quite do it.

I really enjoy this forum, and look forward to more discussions with all of you.

Happy Holidays,

Airsupport
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieyours View Post
I can also get audio but no OSD or Video.
Here's how I got OSD to work, and I hope this works for you:

Hit your PORT button to get your iPod powered up.

Try pushing the "DISPLAY" button once or twice.

If that doesn't work, push the "receiver" button

and try it again.

Good luck!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM

I posted this on the TX-NR809 forum, but it got lost in the flames over there. My problem with the UP-A1 ipod dock is that I can listen to music, watch videos, and control it from the remote control, but I can't get any information on the TV.

I've tried multiple permutations of pushing buttons: PORT MODE DISPLAY RECEIVER. I've enabled my ipod's tv out and tried both ntsc and pal. My TV just stays as a blue screen.

While listening to music from the ipod (tried this with 2, 3, and 4th gen nano's), the receiver message states to press the MODE button to enter the "extended" mode to display the song information on the TV. That doesn't seem to work for me. When I then try pressing DISPLAY (while the remote is in the PORT-MODE function), the ipod wakes up (if the ipod screen was asleep) -- i think this is a good sign -- but nothing goes to the tv screen.

I've done the usual firmware updating on both the avr and ipods, rebooted, etc. Out of ideas now...

Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsupport View Post

Here's how I got OSD to work, and I hope this works for you:

Hit your PORT button to get your iPod powered up.

and try it again.

Good luck!

Will This Work?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page