Onkyo NR5007 "official thread" - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
and so we of course will have to cover the shipping cost if a service center is not near us..... if this was a known issue and these models shipped with that defect, I will be the FIRST person to sign up for a class action lawsuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Well that will certainly get them motivated to openly communicate with us. That may have been better thought than posted. Please take no offense, but I am working hard to resolve this issue with Onkyo and so far they have been forthright and responsive. I would hate to see that relationship change.

Regards,
Adamg
post #303 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am all for a solution and not throwing that out there as some way to cause a reaction. I am the last person that wants that to happen because it means ZERO result for most in finding an actual solution to the problem. That said, as an owner of a 906 and 905 that has seen its share of issues, I have reason to be suspect of their real interest in finding a solution. Past calls to Onkyo have been well documented to be of very little interest in help their loyal customers......time will tell.
post #304 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Adamg:
I do appreciate your efforts but my problems seem to go beyond the dropouts and cannot get any real concerned help from the tech or head of csr on the east coast below is a posting I make today on the 3007/5007 thread basically suggesting anyone looking to purchase one of these units look elsewhere at the present time untill Onkyo gets theyre act together. They just seem like a uncaring, arrogant bunch no real help. I was warned before purchasing and did not heed sorry.
Here is the post.
Some of you who have been following these new 0007 threads are familiar with an issue I have been having with my 5007. I have refrained from negativity on this unit and Onkyo. At this point Based on my recent experience I would reccomend anyone sitting on the fence wait until you see how Mine and some of the other issues AVS members are having is solved. This opinion is based mainly on the communication I recently have had with theyre Support team.

post #305 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I am all for a solution and not throwing that out there as some way to cause a reaction. I am the last person that wants that to happen because it means ZERO result for most in finding an actual solution to the problem. That said, as an owner of a 906 and 905 that has seen its share of issues, I have reason to be suspect of their real interest in finding a solution. Past calls to Onkyo have been well documented to be of very little interest in help their loyal customers......time will tell.

I really did not by this unit to have a lot of aggrivation and dissapointment. I do not plan to sit around and wait for months to just hope Onkyo fixes these issues quickly. I will take every avenue in my power to get a fix and get through theyre BS. I am not a paid beta tester or a money machine prepared to buy and sit on a unit that does not work as it was advertised to. I am not asking for it to do things it was not meant to just to work properly as advertised and fixed either with a firmware or new unit. Quickly.

post #306 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I am thankful for this forum because I am close to deciding between the 3007, 5007 and the Denon 4810. Now I see all the issues folks are having, I am going to hold off for a little while before deciding..

Currently I have a Denon so I would be inclined to go for another one but these Onkyos seem to have quite the bang for the buck...

Decisions...Decisons..
post #307 of 767 Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM

me too, i am looking at the 007's and also the DHC 40.1 and 80.1 and also the Denon 4810. This might sway me one way or another.. I really hope it is just a firmware fix and they handle the issue properly.

Craig
post #308 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Right now I am trying to decide what is going to give me the better video between the 4810 and 5007. Currently I have a 2808CI, so any upgrade from that would be good for me..
post #309 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Those of you wondering what is what you see a number of issues on the 0007's If I was reading these threads and than the 4810 thread I sort of wish I went that way. I have had denon before and pioneer and through experience I have personally found theyre customer service and tech support more caring and helpful. I really do regret having to deal with Onkyo at this point Sorry to you people that feel differently. I really like this unit but I feel it is definately showing a number of problems. Now on top of the audio issue I have the drop outs are appearing. As the posters above have reported. What a shame.

post #310 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I am thankful for this forum because I am close to deciding between the 3007, 5007 and the Denon 4810. Now I see all the issues folks are having, I am going to hold off for a little while before deciding..

Currently I have a Denon so I would be inclined to go for another one but these Onkyos seem to have quite the bang for the buck...

Decisions...Decisons..

+1

I have two subs so I really got "emotionally erect" when these *007s hit the streets. Thanks to this forum, my old RX-V663 is sounding pretty good until the issues get resolved.

Thanks all!

Panasonic P65ZT60 display, Marantz SR7008 AV receiver, Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Studio 60 v.5 fronts, Studio 20 v.5 rear/surround, Polk Audio OWM3 high and wides, HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR24 Receiver w/1TB drive, XBox 360, Logitech Harmony One
post #311 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Well after considerable email conversations yesterday with Bob Elder, Product Support Rep for Onkyo, I decided to ship my unit to him. They paid for shipping. They also offered to send me a new unit in return via FedEx. Bob also offered to open the new unit and inspect for proper function. He also offered to update the unit to the latest version of firmware.

While I agree with the concept that I or We should not have to do anything but plug this in and enjoy. The 1007 thru 5007 Rcvrs represent a large jump in home Audio/Video technology at this price point. With minor exceptions, my unit performed far above expectation and has so many features I am still learning all this unit can do. The INTERNET Music is simply amazing. Pandora will make you see music in a new way. Taking all this into account, including IMHO that this new Product line from Onkyo blows away the competition in features versus price. This unit is worth every penny and more. Just FYI, I have previously owned two Dennons.

I also am aware that some folks have not received the level of service from Onkyo that they expect or deserve. I certainly can understand that frustration. However, as you can see this particular Onkyo Product Support Rep is working quite hard to fix the Audio/Video dropout problem. He paid for the return of my existing unit, is shipping me a new unit in exchange and will personally inspect and update that unit for me in advance.

I am not arguing any previous posts about lack of Onkyo after sales service, only offering a different experience in this particular case.

It will be about a week before I receive my replacement unit. Once I have it up and running, I will test it to see if the Audio/Video dropout problem is fixed. As well as a few other minor bugs mentioned earlier in this thread. All of which I have communicated to Bob.

Regards,
Adamg
post #312 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adamg

I am happy for your result. The problem is Onkyo if they do find a fix is going to require the rest of us to send it into a service center, likely at our cost and suffer the wait time etc and still not if the fix will do the trick. If they want to truly show customer loyalty, that same offer for you should apply to the rest of us. I remain suspect though.
post #313 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Suzook,

They wanted my unit for testing to figure out exactly what is happening, not to fix it. If one of the most popular assumptions is correct and this is an HDMI Handshake problem. The fix may be distributed to the rest of the Owners via a Firmware update.

As more and more people are reporting in here. The dropout issue is becoming evident via all modes of transmission (i,e, HDMI & Optical) and sources (Cable, Satellite, Bluray players) it may be a decoding bug with the processor. I don't know if that can be addressed via Firmware or not.

Perhaps if enough of us complain we may see Onkyo take a more proactive role and possibly offer to pay shipping both ways. They already agree to pay for return shipping in the standard Warranty. The above is part and parcel of why I am posting and asking folks to report their problems via the Onkyo web site.

Coming in here and describing the problems you are having is a good thing, but does little to further this issue with Onkyo. As they do not read or respond to these or any other non Onkyo forum. I agree they should.

Just trying to heard turtles here and build a larger contingent of people who are willing to document their issues on the Onkyo web site http://www.onkyousa.com/feedback_form.cfm. There is strength in numbers.

Regards,
Adamg
post #314 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlawler View Post

I've experienced this both with HDMI and optical with Dexter from a Dish Network VIP722K. When I listen via analog I hear a defect in the audio that sounds like a worn cassette tape. I think there is a problem in the audio stream definately that makes the 3007 that I'm using try to switch to PCM and then back to DD 5.1. I find it interesting that DTV people have the same problems with Dexter also.

I have both Uverse and DirecTV and experience the dropouts with both sources in the same exact place.

A great thing about Uverse is that I can play the recorded program back on any TV and when I play Dexter back (same exact recording) on another set top box directly through the TV the dropouts are still there (Onkyo is now completely removed from the audio chain).

I owned a Denon previously and never experienced the dropouts so it may be an issue specific to some chipsets (as mentioned previously in the thread), but I do not think that it is exclusive to Onkyo. Please read the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=165763
post #315 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post

Suzook,

They wanted my unit for testing to figure out exactly what is happening, not to fix it. If one of the most popular assumptions is correct and this is an HDMI Handshake problem. The fix may be distributed to the rest of the Owners via a Firmware update.

As more and more people are reporting in here. The dropout issue is becoming evident via all modes of transmission (i,e, HDMI & Optical) and sources (Cable, Satellite, Bluray players) it may be a decoding bug with the processor. I don't know if that can be addressed via Firmware or not.

Perhaps if enough of us complain we may see Onkyo take a more proactive role and possibly offer to pay shipping both ways. They already agree to pay for return shipping in the standard Warranty. The above is part and parcel of why I am posting and asking folks to report their problems via the Onkyo web site.

Coming in here and describing the problems you are having is a good thing, but does little to further this issue with Onkyo. As they do not read or respond to these or any other non Onkyo forum. I agree they should.

Just trying to heard turtles here and build a larger contingent of people who are willing to document their issues on the Onkyo web site http://www.onkyousa.com/feedback_form.cfm. There is strength in numbers.

I have twice detailed my issues on the site and via phone. Never an acknowledgement from the site and complete indifference on the phone.

post #316 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM

william06, I think we can all empathize with your dissatisfaction and frustration, but your posts are starting to become noise that aren't bringing any of us closer to a resolution.
post #317 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

I have both Uverse and DirecTV and experience the dropouts with both sources in the same exact place.

A great thing about Uverse is that I can play the recorded program back on any TV and when I play Dexter back (same exact recording) on another set top box directly through the TV the dropouts are still there (Onkyo is now completely removed from the audio chain).

I owned a Denon previously and never experienced the dropouts so it may be an issue specific to some chipsets (as mentioned previously in the thread), but I do not think that it is exclusive to Onkyo. Please read the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=165763

akopperl,

Thanks for the info and the link. I understand what you are saying here. However, others have reported the audio/video dropouts happening with Blurays and other audio formats? Very interesting you were able to reproduce the drops going direct to the TV! That would indicate the problem is upstream in the source broadcast stream or in the method the content is being recorded or decoded for recording.

This just gets more and more confusing.

Regards,
Adamg
post #318 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

william06, I think we can all empathize with your dissatisfaction and frustration, but your posts are starting to become noise that aren't bringing any of us closer to a resolution.

Respectfully appreciated. I guess I have beat that horse a bit hard.

post #319 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM

William06,

Hey dude, its OK I am upset too. I am simply attempting to remain neutral and calm. Heck, I really did not want to rip my system apart to send the unit to Onkyo so they could play doctor with it. I argued they have a warehouse full of units they can test. I was quite willing to live with these issues, sit it out and wait for the next firmware release. The guy from Onkyo was convincing that he really needed a unit with KNOWN problems and I had one.

Since I got lucky by getting a Onkyo Support Rep assigned to my case who gives a darn, I bit the bullet and took one for the Team.

At least you have a receiver that works for the most part. Do you know what it is like to have a bitching 11.2 system reduced to the sound that comes from my TV Speakers? I never imagined that taking away my sound system would make the TV look like my Grandmas old RCA Black and White console set. I am now depressed.

"Hi my name is Adam and I am an Audio Junky. I have been clean (ed out) for two days now."

Regards,
Adamg
post #320 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 03:25 PM

I have the NR5007 - love it, only issue is that I cannot figure out for the life of me how (if) to get the 'search' function to work with TVersity. I have thousands of songs,etc, and every time I try to perform a search by artist/album,etc, it comes back with nothing.

Does someone know how to configure TVersity to allow the NR5007 to perform searches against it, or is this just not work? It's noted that the search function only works on 'supported' media servers, but thought Tversity being fully DNLA compliant would work..

Thanks,
John
post #321 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

William06,

Hey dude, its OK I am upset too. I am simply attempting to remain neutral and calm. Heck, I really did not want to rip my system apart to send the unit to Onkyo so they could play doctor with it. I argued they have a warehouse full of units they can test. I was quite willing to live with these issues, sit it out and wait for the next firmware release. The guy from Onkyo was convincing that he really needed a unit with KNOWN problems and I had one.

Since I got lucky by getting a Onkyo Support Rep assigned to my case who gives a darn, I bit the bullet and took one for the Team.

At least you have a receiver that works for the most part. Do you know what it is like to have a bitching 11.2 system reduced to the sound that comes from my TV Speakers? I never imagined that taking away my sound system would make the TV look like my Grandmas old RCA Black and White console set. I am now depressed.

"Hi my name is Adam and I am an Audio Junky. I have been clean (ed out) for two days now."

Hey I really got a laugh out of the Audio Junky. When I was waiting for my 5007 I had no receiver I thought I was goin nuts. (2 Weeks) I do really appreciate what you have done at least I had the form to vent. I guess I have been trying to avoid the Take it apart put it back and take it apart routine. I do hope what you did helps everyone.
Also I have been experimenting with my system and have done some different things. It is too early to report difinitively but I thing the Cable and direct tv boxes are more responsable for the various issues. Of course the complexity of the 0007 units and its microprocessors also have to have some bearing. One thing I would suggest to everyone having the HDMI drop out issues try resetting your cable or direct tv box and unplug for about 1/2 hour. Seems to help my situation including no sound after being off two or more hours. I just do not know how perm the fix is. So far today it has worked for how long I do not know.

Any way I really hope your new unit works well and thanks for all your posts trying to help all in these threads. I appologize for all my ranting and raving as That does not good for any of us.

post #322 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM

I upgraded to the 5007 on the 5th of Oct. I had a Onkyo 705 previous to that upgrade. I have had the same Direct TV box for 18 months. Never had this problem until I put the 5007 in the loop. Coincidence, maybe?

Regards,
Adamg
post #323 of 767 Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Hello!

I wonder if the audio drop outs problems is only on cable/direct tv or in all formats? (dvd, Blyrays, mkv)????

Does anyone test any MKV and especially from the Dexter series (which reported to have the problems)?
post #324 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I upgraded to the 5007 on the 5th of Oct. I had a Onkyo 705 previous to that upgrade. I have had the same Direct TV box for 18 months. Never had this problem until I put the 5007 in the loop. Coincidence, maybe?

Untill I got the Onkyo never had any problems I have had my box over 2 yrs. I did the reset as above and unplugged the box about 1/2 hour. Now all is well for the moment hooked back up HDMI etc. Off over night after watching movie. Turned on this morning everything working fine. I really think it is the box and the ability of the Onky to handshake or not handshake with it.

post #325 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Respectfully appreciated. I guess I have beat that horse a bit hard.

Wow! Civility on the internet, the end of the world must be near!

I can appreciate that it wouldn't be a proper solution, but have you considered using either the coax or optical out of your DTV box for the audio? You wouldn't be losing any audio quality, and you might not have the dropouts, especially if it is an hdmi problem.

I don't remember, are you also having problems with your bluray player?
post #326 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

Wow! Civility on the internet, the end of the world must be near!

I can appreciate that it wouldn't be a proper solution, but have you considered using either the coax or optical out of your DTV box for the audio? You wouldn't be losing any audio quality, and you might not have the dropouts, especially if it is an hdmi problem.

I don't remember, are you also having problems with your bluray player?

No problem with bd. I had the optical and component set up had the drops. I went back yesterday to HDMI after resetting my Box and unplugging it for about a half hour. All is back to normal so far since yesterday. I hope it lasts but the box and its interactivity with the onkyo seems to be the issue. Thanks for your help and suggestions will keep you posted.

post #327 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

I have twice detailed my issues on the site and via phone. Never an acknowledgement from the site and complete indifference on the phone.

I also have done so twice via the site for both issues

sub out hdmi issue
and dropouts

and no feedback from onkyo for either submission. The phone reps basically run you through same old song and dance, please unplug unit, thn reset unit and call us back if problem persists.

I guess this is a lesson learned. I jumped ship from a healthy and basically issue free "4310" for the additional features built up in the onkyo and man has it been a struggle.

In search of video bliss...
post #328 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM

All of my connections are via HDMI except for my Logitech Duet which is coaxial. The only time I have experienced dropouts is while watching TV (via both DirecTV and Uverse). However, I have only experienced the issue with two shows - Dexter and Heroes (Dolby Digital format). If it wasn't for the loud relay clicking - I probably wouldn't always notice the dropouts as it almost never occurs during dialog or loud action scenes.

I have watched approximately 4 blu-ray movies without issue - however, the soundtrack was either in Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. The issue may be specific to Dolby Digital or as was mentioned previously broadcast shows in Dolby Digital.

I have listened to streaming audio through my Logitech Duet for many hours and never experienced any dropouts.

I really hope this can be sorted out as the unit sounds great - for both music and movies.
post #329 of 767 Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

All of my connections are via HDMI except for my Logitech Duet which is coaxial. The only time I have experienced dropouts is while watching TV (via both DirecTV and Uverse). However, I have only experienced the issue with two shows - Dexter and Heroes (Dolby Digital format). If it wasn't for the loud relay clicking - I probably wouldn't always notice the dropouts as it almost never occurs during dialog or loud action scenes.

I have watched approximately 4 blu-ray movies without issue - however, the soundtrack was either in Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. The issue may be specific to Dolby Digital or as was mentioned previously broadcast shows in Dolby Digital.

I have listened to streaming audio through my Logitech Duet for many hours and never experienced any dropouts.

I really hope this can be sorted out as the unit sounds great - for both music and movies.

Have you try any DVD or .mkv file with Dolby Digital soundtrack?
Are these drop outs frequent?

I m waiting for my unit to come but i already start to worry!!!
I may cancel my order and buy the Pioneer LX 27..
post #330 of 767 Old 11-12-2009, 01:18 PM

The link has two sets of Firmware. I don't have my unit so I can't check it.

http://www.onkyousa.com/searchResult...Item=TX-NR5007

If anyone tries this please post results.

Regards,
Adamg
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page