Onkyo NR5007 "official thread" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
does an "official" thread for this model exist?

Cant seem to find one

thanks
Suzook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

does an "official" thread for this model exist?

Cant seem to find one

thanks

there seems to be a couple of threads pertaining to the new onkyo receivers the 1007 and 3007-5007. Nice to see someone is starting this. I received mine last friday evening. Past I had a couple of denon high end and last 4308ci and tried an elite sc-27 for a month. This is with out a doubt the most flexable and best sounding receiver I have ever had. A lot to learn but so far figuring everything out. Have not tried my pj yet hope to later today. I have one problem or perceptive problem that I have never noticed in a receiver before or separates. When ever I change pic fast forward or station swithces from program to commercial their is a moderate clicking sound from the receiver. I wonder is this the processer is this normal with onkyo or do I have a potential problem. As far as heat goes this does get hotter than my Denons did or the elite. I did have an elite 49txi in the past that got this warm. I do have it on a top shelf with plenty of clearance so it should not be a problem.

william06 is online now  
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jmouse007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

there seems to be a couple of threads pertaining to the new Onkyo receivers the 1007 and 3007-5007. Nice to see someone is starting this. I received mine last Friday evening.

Congratulations, many people on AVS want to know anything and everything you have to say about the performance of this AVR receiver. I am looking to purchase the Pre-Pro of this model: 5507 when it FINALLY gets released (HURRY UP AND GET ON THE BALL ONKYO!). I am very interested in how this unit sounds sonically (especially in stereo and when using surround channels, please mention how the front height ambient speakers sound). How is the video processing? Does it make a noticeable difference? Inquiring minds want to know!
Jmouse007 is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
william, thanks for the mini review, lets keep em coming.

the clicking sound does not sound normal. I have had both a 905 and 905 and never exhibited that type of sound??
Suzook is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I am glad someone started the 5007 thread.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am glad someone started the 5007 thread.

3007? 5507? thread
osofast240sx is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys I am far from an expert. I recently had a pioneer SC-27 as I mentioned it was a nice receiver but in the end I thought is sounded a bit weak. I also used a 23bd elite and 58 elite dvd with it. Do not get me wrong it was an very nice receiver and somewhat trouble free but just felt It was lacking some depth and of course some of these great new features. I have not had a lot of time with the onkyo but so far as audio goes I think it sounds terrific. 2 channel multi channel Sacd etc . I like the effects of the DSX and ProIIZ although I have to do a lot of experimenting yet the base sounds tighter with 2 sep sub channels also. I have not fooled around much with video processing yet but just on the pre set ones custom and night gives me a nicer more film like picture. My video displays are not as up to date but fine for me. I run my main to a toshiba 65" rear project tv HDMI to DVI and Have not used the projector yet but it is a panny 900u receives a 1080p/24 and down converts attached to the sub output. I have never had a problem there before with a denon 4308 or the sc-27 but I understand on the other threads for the 0007 models there is an issue. I might have to turn off the processor so I can pass this through the receiver from my 23bd. I hope joerod can help onkyo get this issue solved. I am also concerned about the clicking and no one yet who has had these 0007units has responded on the other threads. It might be the video processor. I am going to call onkyo this aught to be good. But going back to audio I think for music so far and just 2channel this is a great unit clear detailed and powerful. On multi with the different modes strong extermelly detalied and you never feel any strain. Gets warm not hot I have on top with about 8" clearance. open on the sides. I strongly reccomend you read all the Onkyo 007 threads to learn more about this series and some of the other like the 908 and 800 series. It really helps.

william06 is online now  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Guys I am far from an expert. I recently had a pioneer SC-27 as I mentioned it was a nice receiver but in the end I thought is sounded a bit weak. I also used a 23bd elite and 58 elite dvd with it. Do not get me wrong it was an very nice receiver and somewhat trouble free but just felt It was lacking some depth and of course some of these great new features.

Even with PQLS between the 23FD and the 27? Wow, I think you might be the very first person I've seen with this complaint.

Not saying you're wrong or anything like that , just saying I haven't seen this opinion before.

The SC25/27 is on my short list along with an Onkyo 07 of some sort, a Denon 4310, or the Yamaha 3900 or its probable successor coming out of CES 2010.


My favorite and easiest option is, of course, to simply stay with my solid Yamaha 2700 and stay on the fence. It takes me very little effort or convincing of myself to stay right where I'm at.


Quote:
I have not had a lot of time with the onkyo but so far as audio goes I think it sounds terrific. 2 channel multi channel Sacd etc . I like the effects of the DSX and ProIIZ although I have to do a lot of experimenting yet the base sounds tighter with 2 sep sub channels also. I have not fooled around much with video processing yet but just on the pre set ones custom and night gives me a nicer more film like picture. My video displays are not as up to date but fine for me. I run my main to a toshiba 65" rear project tv HDMI to DVI and Have not used the projector yet but it is a panny 900u receives a 1080p/24 and down converts attached to the sub output. I have never had a problem there before with a denon 4308 or the sc-27 but I understand on the other threads for the 0007 models there is an issue. I might have to turn off the processor so I can pass this through the receiver from my 23bd. I hope joerod can help onkyo get this issue solved. I am also concerned about the clicking and no one yet who has had these 0007units has responded on the other threads. It might be the video processor. I am going to call onkyo this aught to be good. But going back to audio I think for music so far and just 2channel this is a great unit clear detailed and powerful. On multi with the different modes strong extermelly detalied and you never feel any strain. Gets warm not hot I have on top with about 8" clearance. open on the sides. I strongly reccomend you read all the Onkyo 007 threads to learn more about this series and some of the other like the 908 and 800 series. It really helps.

You're not the first person I've seen mention clicking with Onkyo receivers and it's not confined to these 07s. Strange...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Even with PQLS between the 23FD and the 27? Wow, I think you might be the very first person I've seen with this complaint.

Not saying you're wrong or anything like that , just saying I haven't seen this opinion before.

The SC25/27 is on my short list along with an Onkyo 07 of some sort, a Denon 4310, or the Yamaha 3900 or its probable successor coming out of CES 2010.


My favorite and easiest option is, of course, to simply stay with my solid Yamaha 2700 and stay on the fence. It takes me very little effort or convincing of myself to stay right where I'm at.




You're not the first person I've seen mention clicking with Onkyo receivers and it's not confined to these 07s. Strange...

whats the purpouse of your post?
osofast240sx is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

whats the purpouse of your post?

Having a conversation with someone I've chatted with across several threads who has experience with products I'm interested in.

What's the purpose of yours? I don't see a moderator tag anywhere in your profile.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Having a conversation with someone I've chatted with across several threads who has experience with products I'm interested in.

What's the purpose of yours? I don't see a moderator tag anywhere in your profile.

this thread is for th 5007. so im trying to learn more about the 5007. so im trying to figure out the purpose of your post relating to the 5007.
osofast240sx is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nevermind.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Because I'm interested in several products including the 5007.

Can we move on and have you stop trying to be the thread police, please? If you can't handle it, do us both a favor and add me to your ignore list and be done with it.

I intend to continue to post wherever I like and however I like and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Deal with it.

easy dude take it down a 1000. its not that deep not that big of a deal.
relax
osofast240sx is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

easy dude take it down a 1000. its not that deep not that big of a deal.
relax

Sorry.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey folks did not mean to cause a stir. I think Q has some very relative questions. Before I made decisions I shopped the threads asked questions and gave opinions. In fact one of the friendliest threads is the SC-07 thread. All the above opinions are mine and mine alone.
I did think mabey I would miss the PQLS. I absolutely do not. I think this is one fabulous machine. today I ran wolverine in PL2Zheightthxultra2. Sounded fantastic. I ran my pj on sub monitor through with isf on custom (did not readjust) best pq I have ever had. PJ showed it was receiving the 1080p/24 signal (This is a 720p pj but receives the 180/24. No problems whatsoever. No handshake issues. after film went back to my tv on main . no issues. Now listining to Nora Jones SACD 2ch sounds much better than on my SC-27. warmer more powerful. I realize I am in the minority on the elite but this is the second time I returned an elite for similar reasons. Not meaning to offend. I really like this 5007 so far. I did call onkyo and the clicking is in the many relays when different programs, sound and video formats switch. It is a little annoying but this is my only issue so far.

william06 is online now  
Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jmouse007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
These questions are addressed to owners of the new ONKYO 5007

From reading the posts it looks like you have gotten your hands on the new ONKYO 5007 receiver so you are the people to go to for answers. I just purchased two power amps: a Parasound A51 (250 wpc x 5) to power my main speakers (Def Tec 7001SC's 1500 watt internal amps in each speaker to power the internal subs) my def tec center (2002, unpowered) and my def tec rear surrounds (BXVP unpowered bipolar surrounds). I also purchased a Parasound A23 (125 wpc x 2) to power our two front ambient speakers.

Ok here are my questions: Stereo and surround sound quality on the new ONKYO:

1) Are the balanced outs for all channels on the 5007/5507 really "balanced" or is it a gimmick (3'rd pin not active/not genuine balanced outs)?

2) I am seriously thinking about purchasing the ONKYO 5507 pre-pro. It will allow me to use my front height speakers (I came from using a Yamaha so I have had them installed for years) along with all of my other speakers. How does this unit sound regarding the surround options compared to Yamaha, Dennon, Anthem, B&K, etc?

3) A huge concern that I have is this: How does the unit sound when just playing stereo audio just using the two main speaker channels? I have been told by a number of people that the previous ONKYO pre-pro's were not very good at all sonically just using the stereo setting. They said it was like having a pair of frosted glasses in front of the power amps eyes. A number of people on and off of AVS have told me to stay away from the previous model ONKYO pre-pros for this very reason, they have said that the Marantz 8003 sounds much better, especially when using stereo only. I can not answer this question because I have no listening experience with the previous or current ONKYO pre-pro or receiver. How good is the new ONKYO sonically? especially in stereo?

I just spent a fortune on new power amps that are VERY DETAILED and sonically spectacular; will the new ONKYO let them shine through or does it mute and color what is fed into it via the CD/DVD/Blu-ray/analog record player and what comes out on the other end that is fed to the amps?

Another reason I have been looking at this pre-pro is because it supposedly is capable of feeding one video source out to two different displays: LCD/Projector. This is very important to me because I do not own any other HDMI switchers. I have been reading the ONKYO XX7 thread and a number of owners are all reporting the same thing: The ONKYO SUB HDMI out is not performing properly, this has me very concerned; IS THIS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE FIXED BY A FIRMWARE UPDATE OR IS THIS AN UNFIXABLE PROBLEM? Is ONKYO serious about fixing the problem or should I look for a different pre-pro?

Another big question is: how good is the video processor in the ONKYO? I have a SONY BDP-s550 Blu ray player and a SONY VPL-VW60 (which we love by the way). Is the processor in the ONKYO better than the processor in the VW-60? The bottom line is this: will our pj picture be noticeably better than it already is or should we by pass the ONKYO?

Last question: I have heard that the ONKYO makes "clicking noises" when there is a switch in programming: TV show to commercials, etc... is this a problem with the ONKYO? What is happening and can it be fixed?

I know that this is a lot of questions but I can only afford to do this (buy pre-pro) once and it has to last for a very long time. Given our needs, is the ONKYO the way to go, or should I wait or buy something else instead?

Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to answer me.
Jmouse007 is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

These questions are addressed to owners of the new ONKYO 5007

From reading the posts it looks like you have gotten your hands on the new ONKYO 5007 receiver so you are the people to go to for answers. I just purchased two power amps: a Parasound A51 (250 wpc x 5) to power my main speakers (Def Tec 7001SC's 1500 watt internal amps in each speaker to power the internal subs) my def tec center (2002, unpowered) and my def tec rear surrounds (BXVP unpowered bipolar surrounds). I also purchased a Parasound A23 (125 wpc x 2) to power our two front ambient speakers.

Ok here are my questions: Stereo and surround sound quality on the new ONKYO:

1) Are the balanced outs for all channels on the 5007/5507 really "balanced" or is it a gimmick (3'rd pin not active/not genuine balanced outs)?

2) I am seriously thinking about purchasing the ONKYO 5507 pre-pro. It will allow me to use my front height speakers (I came from using a Yamaha so I have had them installed for years) along with all of my other speakers. How does this unit sound regarding the surround options compared to Yamaha, Dennon, Anthem, B&K, etc?

3) A huge concern that I have is this: How does the unit sound when just playing stereo audio just using the two main speaker channels? I have been told by a number of people that the previous ONKYO pre-pro's were not very good at all sonically just using the stereo setting. They said it was like having a pair of frosted glasses in front of the power amps eyes. A number of people on and off of AVS have told me to stay away from the previous model ONKYO pre-pros for this very reason, they have said that the Marantz 8003 sounds much better, especially when using stereo only. I can not answer this question because I have no listening experience with the previous or current ONKYO pre-pro or receiver. How good is the new ONKYO sonically? especially in stereo?

I just spent a fortune on new power amps that are VERY DETAILED and sonically spectacular; will the new ONKYO let them shine through or does it mute and color what is fed into it via the CD/DVD/Blu-ray/analog record player and what comes out on the other end that is fed to the amps?

Another reason I have been looking at this pre-pro is because it supposedly is capable of feeding one video source out to two different displays: LCD/Projector. This is very important to me because I do not own any other HDMI switchers. I have been reading the ONKYO XX7 thread and a number of owners are all reporting the same thing: The ONKYO SUB HDMI out is not performing properly, this has me very concerned; IS THIS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE FIXED BY A FIRMWARE UPDATE OR IS THIS AN UNFIXABLE PROBLEM? Is ONKYO serious about fixing the problem or should I look for a different pre-pro?

Another big question is: how good is the video processor in the ONKYO? I have a SONY BDP-s550 Blu ray player and a SONY VPL-VW60 (which we love by the way). Is the processor in the ONKYO better than the processor in the VW-60? The bottom line is this: will our pj picture be noticeably better than it already is or should we by pass the ONKYO?

Last question: I have heard that the ONKYO makes "clicking noises" when there is a switch in programming: TV show to commercials, etc... is this a problem with the ONKYO? What is happening and can it be fixed?

I know that this is a lot of questions but I can only afford to do this (buy pre-pro) once and it has to last for a very long time. Given our needs, is the ONKYO the way to go, or should I wait or buy something else instead?

Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to answer me.

This thread is for the onkyo 5007 receiver not pre pro. above you have just my opinions, to me 5007 sounds great, multi and two channel. clicking is relays switching not a problem according to onkyo. I did not like sony bd sot I prefer denon and elites. all personal choices.

william06 is online now  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Member
 
jay0heavenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question regarding the Video performance of the Reon in the 5007.

I read in another thread on here that the REON implementation in the 5007 is superior to the implementation in the 876/906. Can anyone who has seen both chime in on this?

Is it true that all REON's are not created equal? Is this something that could be enhanced for the 876/906 via a firmware update?

Sorry for the quasi noo-b questions...lol

Thanks in advance for the heads up!
jay0heavenly is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can you point to that thread that talks about the video performance?
Suzook is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Member
 
jay0heavenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here ya go

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17290578
Post #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Hi,



Yes. Coming from a 906 and with the exact same installation Pana BD80 + Onkyo 5007 (instead of 906) + JVC 350 (+ prismasonic 5000R, 2.35 prism) the picture is definitively better. This is in fact what struck us both my Wife and myself, when we watched our first film on the 5007.

The picture has a better sense of 3D, it is somehow "deeper". I understand this as a better management of contrast through xvYCC which is now an item available on the 5007. But this is just a personal gess...

Anyway, the picture IS definitively better.


Hugo

jay0heavenly is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Interesting. Well having had both the 905 and the 906 I will be curious to test this theory.
Of course when the prices come down a bit
Suzook is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My unit is in Transit on a UPS Truck and due to arrive on the Th. This beast is heavy, at nearly 60 lbs. I will need a forklift to get it in my rack. I am disabled you see, so hooking it up and what not is going to be tricky. I need some volunteers! I will provide Beer and Pizza and then more Beer during the testing phase...Did I mention free beer???

Regards,
Adamg
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
chexi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Assuming you are serious, where are you located Adam?
chexi1 is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I've emailed Onkyo about the HDMI SUB output issue I'm having with my 5007, hoping to hear from them soon.
I've discovered that not only does the SUB output have problems outputing 1080p/24 but also has problems syncing when I switch from a video source, like SAT, to a audio only source, like CD. When you do this the unit is suppose to keep the previous video source displayed. The MAIN output does this with NO issues, but of course the SUB output has issues, flashing and syncing issues, and this is with any resolution not just 1080p/24.
Very frustrating to say the least
Hopefully Onkyo will have a fix for this or this unit is going back.

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had a similar issue with the 905 and the 906. I ended up going to a 4 x4 matrix HDMI switcher because Onkyo couldnt get their act together. Sadly even with all the progress the 5007 appears to have made it sound like this is still an issue
Suzook is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Assuming you are serious, where are you located Adam?

chexi1,

Hey dude, thanks for the offer. I live in South Western Florida. Just north of Sarasota and South of Tampa. And the Beer offer is dead serious.

Regards,
Adamg
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is offline  
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Well I've emailed Onkyo about the HDMI SUB output issue I'm having with my 5007, hoping to hear from them soon.
I've discovered that not only does the SUB output have problems outputing 1080p/24 but also has problems syncing when I switch from a video source, like SAT, to a audio only source, like CD. When you do this the unit is suppose to keep the previous video source displayed. The MAIN output does this with NO issues, but of course the SUB output has issues, flashing and syncing issues, and this is with any resolution not just 1080p/24.
Very frustrating to say the least
Hopefully Onkyo will have a fix for this or this unit is going back.

DreamCatcher

Onkyo returned my email and suggested I return my unit for replacement.
I'd feel better about this if I thought the new unit would not have the same problem. Fingers Crossed.........

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Onkyo returned my email and suggested I return my unit for replacement.
I'd feel better about this if I thought the new unit would not have the same problem. Fingers Crossed.........

DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher,

You just switched to this unit from the Denon 4310ci - correct? HDMI issues aside, how does the Onkyo perform sonically compared to the Denon (music and movies)?
bambam is offline  
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
chexi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ah, sorry Adam. I am way over here in Texas.
chexi1 is offline  
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

DreamCatcher,

You just switched to this unit from the Denon 4310ci - correct? HDMI issues aside, how does the Onkyo perform sonically compared to the Denon (music and movies)?

I'm torn between the two.........
I think video processing is slightly better in the 4310 with it's ABT processing.
Sound Quality is a toss up.... both sound excellent.
But the 5007 has 9 amps, the 4310 7,
the 5007 has THX Ultra2 Plus, the 4310 doesn't,
the 5007 has 32bit DACs, the 4310 24bit,
the 5007 has 8 HDMI inputs, the 4310 6,
the 5007 is a beast, the 4310 a lightweight by comparison.
But the 4310 has it's excellent GUI,
and everything works as it's suppose to, including it's 2 HDMI outputs,
can't say that for the 5007..... yet

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
 

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off