Onkyo 3007 Official Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 382 Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I figured out my subwoofer dilema. If you set a crossover on the front speakers or set them to FULL RANGE just turn double bass on and you'll be good for stereo mode to use the subwoofer.

One other question. For my ps3 I have it set to lpcm for lossless codecs since it's not a slimline. What DSP mode do you guys use? I had it in direct, but if I keep it in that it doesn't apply the audyssey settings. I put it in multichannel and that seems to use the audyssey settings but I don't know if it's the correct one to use or if it hinders the performance of the lossless codec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 382 Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amill94 View Post

Ok I figured out my subwoofer dilema. If you set a crossover on the front speakers or set them to FULL RANGE just turn double bass on and you'll be good for stereo mode to use the subwoofer.

One other question. For my ps3 I have it set to lpcm for lossless codecs since it's not a slimline. What DSP mode do you guys use? I had it in direct, but if I keep it in that it doesn't apply the audyssey settings. I put it in multichannel and that seems to use the audyssey settings but I don't know if it's the correct one to use or if it hinders the performance of the lossless codec.

when using a multichannel input (ie. dvd-audio) i use Audyssey + DSX mode
post #33 of 382 Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Hi, I am considering buying a 1007, 3007, 5007 and just wanted to know if there has been any improvement in the amount of time it takes to switch and re-sync audio/video between HDMI sources or for that matter between HD and SD channels when using the receivers HDMI inputs for cabel/satellite boxes. I have read the 876 and 906 threads and that seemed to be one of the complaints concerning that series of receivers. I wanted to know if there has been any improvement or if the issue was not that bad.

Thanks in advance.
post #34 of 382 Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 AM

Got my 3000 yesterday. Got it set up, Audyssey and everyhting, but haven't had much time to listen to it, so can't really coment on sound quality other than it sounds much better than my old Sony STR-DB840QS

I have one question, though.
The Audssey Dynamic EQ, and the reference level offset (0dB, -5dB, -10dB and -15dB). I know 0dB should be used for material that's been correctly mixed (I'd like to use it for Blu-ray and DVD, amybe even set off the Dynamic EQ comletely for these formats), and -5dB to -15dB for music and TV where the mix might not be standard. The 0dB certainly sounds too boomy for my TV and most CDs, that's why I'd rather set it to -10dB.

However, the Audyssey Dynamic EQ setting seem to be global in the Onkyo. It won't let me assign these settings separately for each source.
Is there a workaround for this, or have I missed something in the setup?

I like a lot what Audyssey is doing, and Dynamic EQ and -volume seem very useful in certain situations (late night viewing, TV...), but as they are too cumbersome to turn on and off, it would be great if they were at least source specific.
post #35 of 382 Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Hi all,
I just ordered Onkyo 3007 and wondered how difficult/easy is to connect speaker wires to the terminals. My front L/R and center have spades and wondered if I am OK with spade terminal connections and unfortunately are quite big.
Any helps is greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #36 of 382 Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Unfortunately, the speaker terminals on the Onkyo have binding post collars, so you're going to be limited to banana plugs or bare wire.
post #37 of 382 Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up...
post #38 of 382 Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ordered mine today. Can't wait! Newegg put them on sale again this morning for those interested.
post #39 of 382 Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 AM

Got my 3007 this week.
This thing is clicking allot inside. Also between every song on my USB stick, that's annoying.
I find the sub output a bit noisy. I have a DIY sub with only the amp and no filters, there is some high pitched noise coming from it with the receiver on. (previous receiver didn’t do this).
The Audyssey setup can also have a detection error on the sub if is't set to loud . First tests: no sub, i was wtf, i can hear it damn good, how loud do you want it . Turns out i had to LOWER the volume on the sub...

HDMI from a Sony BDP-S550 to a VLP-HS50 PJ is fine at the moment, but only tested it shortly.
Would have liked is if it could display the OSD to composite/s-video the same time for setup, now i have to switch the monitor out or turn on the PJ every time i wan't to config something.
post #40 of 382 Old 10-25-2009, 06:38 AM

I ordered NR3007 yesterday and should be getting it early this week. I was curious as to what BD DVD player Onkyo NRx007 owners using. Obviously I want all processing done by the Onkyo so I was told I need a source direct BD DVD player.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
post #41 of 382 Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujji View Post

I ordered NR3007 yesterday and should be getting it early this week. I was curious as to what BD DVD player Onkyo NRx007 owners using. Obviously I want all processing done by the Onkyo so I was told I need a source direct BD DVD player.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Oppo BDP-83
post #42 of 382 Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

So far I'm loving the performance of the Reon chip compared to the Faroudja unit in my older Onkyo, but does anyone know if the scaling can be adjusted per input source? Even an adjustment over input types would sufficient.

I love having the 1080p upscaling for my component sources (Wii and tuner), but I don't want to have it for my HDMI sources (PS3). Aside from the PS3 not needing it, it forces the 1080p24 output for BDs to be scaled to 1080p60 for the TV. Which I guess is fine since I'm sure the Reon can handle the scaling a lot better than my Samsung 65 series LCD can, but upscaling certain PS3 games can result in tiny edge artifacts that are only apparent when running in 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan.
post #43 of 382 Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Go to setup while desired input source is selected, there's a "Resolution -Through" option in the "Source Setup - Picture Adjust", that should do the trick for PS3.
For sources that you want to be upscaled, just select the 1080p option (again, change the setting while input source for Wii and tuner are selected).

I think the resolution setting in "Monitor out" should be set to "Source" if you want to set the scaling per input source, otherwise all sources will be scaled to resolution set in the "Monitor Out Setup".

That's in the pages 53 and 108 in the users manual.
post #44 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Guys, what do you say about a merged TX-NR3007 / TX-NR5007 thread?

There are a lot to gain with having one single thread covering these two units which have the same manual, features, weight, dimensions and now evidently even the same firmware.
I noted down these differences below which are so minor from a usuability point of view that they are negligible.
Specs TX-NR3007 / TX-NR5007
H.C.P.S: Yes / Yes, Toroidal transformer
Power: 140W / 145W (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) Ch
Burr-Brown 192kHz DACs: 24-Bit / 32-Bit
HDMI Inputs: 7 / 8
Optical Inputs: 3 / 4
Power Consumption US: 11.6 A / 12.8 A
Others: 1060 W / 1160 W
USB Inputs: Front / Front and Rear

Looking at last years models, the TX-SR876 and TX-NR906, a lot of similar questions/issues with setup/configuration/firmwares/Audyssey/Reon-VX/etc came up in both dedicated threads but these new models are even more alike and I think it would benefit everybody if there was just one thread to keep track of.
post #45 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM

There are updates for this line of receivers on the European site: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/indices/Firmware_8601833.html Can be updated via LAN or USB stick.

And also on the US site: http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm.
post #46 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _XipHiaS_ View Post

There are updates for this line of receivers on the European site: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/indices/Firmware_8601833.html Can be updated via LAN or USB stick.

And also on the US site: http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm.

The new firmware was reported yesterday in the 5007 thread and
some people have posted their troubles and solutions for updating
there already as well as some initial comments on the new firmware.
post #47 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hello:
I would love a combined thread if all agree. I believe I was very early on the firmware and had a problem. Since solving it I have had a couple issues I never had before. This morning when I turned on my 5007 I had no sound. I had to turn off the unit and when I turned it on all okay. Also I had audio dropouts watching a couple of PVR'd shows late last night. Never had before. Last time I jump to new firmware quickly. Also looking for some other changes. Anyone else having problems. Until this new firmware I had not major issues. Otherwise love this unit. PQ and SQ to me is the best I have had on my system.
Also the Onkyo CSR said there is a way of having the DSX Height and Width at the same time by eliminating the back. I have to figure out again how as I was more concerned with what the firmware did to my unit at the time.

post #48 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot67 View Post

I like a lot what Audyssey is doing, and Dynamic EQ and -volume seem very useful in certain situations (late night viewing, TV...), but as they are too cumbersome to turn on and off, it would be great if they were at least source specific.

There ARE discrete codes for Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. Actually multiple. There is Dynamic Volume Light, Medium, and Heavy. You will need a Harmony or custom universal remote control to use them however. There is also a discrete for Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic EQ off....
Best,
Chris
post #49 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

Oppo BDP-83

Yes, but if he gets an Oppo, he should set the Onkyo to "through" and let the Oppo do the processing of DVD's....Best,
Chris
post #50 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh View Post

So far I'm loving the performance of the Reon chip compared to the Faroudja unit in my older Onkyo, but does anyone know if the scaling can be adjusted per input source? Even an adjustment over input types would sufficient.

Yes, it can as it was in the previous generation 876. Awesome to be able to set it independently! I know Joerod says the 1007 Faroudja is as good as the reon but I definitely see a difference between the reon and the faroudja, which is why i had to pop for the 3007. Could be in my head, though...
Best,
Chris
post #51 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello again. I just got off the phone with Onkyo tech as I have a couple of drop out and a freezing issues after the firmware upgrade and wanted to make sure I got a ticket #. I asked the tech again about the Height and widths operating at the same time and he said the tech yesterday was wrong it cannot be done. Sorry for the mistake but It was not true.

Also I have checked the menus and have found nothing obvious at this point that is different. I do find that the internet radio is faster and more responsive than proir to the update. all else appears status quo.

Other than a couple of drops on audio and the one time freeze up this morning I find this to be one of the best and most flexable units I have ever owned.

post #52 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

by the post above was on my 5007 just passed this on as they are so similar.

post #53 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure if its related to the HQV or a HDCP handshake issue, but i'm getting either full video drop outs (varies, either 1 to 2 seconds, or stays entirely black) or a weird 'down rez' 8bit looking blocky display, both of which can be fixed by either changing input and back, or entering setup and exiting. this only happens on my game consoles (360 and PS3 both do it, 1080p -> 1080i) over HDMI, does not happen over component (Tivo S3, 1080i -> 1080i)

Neutral?
Blu: 54 Red: 25
Wii: 13 360: 32 PS3: 9
post #54 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Hello:
I would love a combined thread if all agree. I believe I was very early on the firmware and had a problem. Since solving it I have had a couple issues I never had before. This morning when I turned on my 5007 I had no sound. I had to turn off the unit and when I turned it on all okay. Also I had audio dropouts watching a couple of PVR'd shows late last night. Never had before. Last time I jump to new firmware quickly. Also looking for some other changes. Anyone else having problems. Until this new firmware I had not major issues. Otherwise love this unit. PQ and SQ to me is the best I have had on my system.
Also the Onkyo CSR said there is a way of having the DSX Height and Width at the same time by eliminating the back. I have to figure out again how as I was more concerned with what the firmware did to my unit at the time.

Got a rather negative response from Mike Lang, one of the moderators:

We prefer to only merge threads where at least one of them only has a few posts as it can be hard on the servers as well as break up quite a bit of the flow from the two different conversations.

which is kind of odd since the conversations taking place in these two threads will be 99.99% identical...ie not different conversations.
post #55 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Yes, it can as it was in the previous generation 876. Awesome to be able to set it independently! I know Joerod says the 1007 Faroudja is as good as the reon but I definitely see a difference between the reon and the faroudja, which is why i had to pop for the 3007. Could be in my head, though...
Best,
Chris

Is this true? My 3007 seems to default to last selction. So say I set dvd/bd to source or through that is what all inputs are set to. It does not seem to do anything by source. I never paid attention to it before but after playing and seeing your input it seems that the res is last one slected and not per input source.

In search of video bliss...
post #56 of 382 Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

There ARE discrete codes for Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. Actually multiple. There is Dynamic Volume Light, Medium, and Heavy. You will need a Harmony or custom universal remote control to use them however. There is also a discrete for Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic EQ off....
Best,
Chris

Thank you for the tip, Chris.
I'll try to program the "Activities" buttons on the original remote, it should accept 32 commannds for a macro, maybe this will be a solution.
I wouldn't want to invest on a new remote, as the remote that came with the AVR is already good enough, and can already command all my gear except the PS3.

Edit: I guess this will not work after all. Changing the Audyssey settings reguires navigating the menus, and as it always leaves the menu at a place you last visited, macros won't work
post #57 of 382 Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Is this true? My 3007 seems to default to last selction. So say I set dvd/bd to source or through that is what all inputs are set to. It does not seem to do anything by source. I never paid attention to it before but after playing and seeing your input it seems that the res is last one slected and not per input source.

If you set the Monitor Out->Resolution to Source, each individual Source Setup->Picture Adjust->Resolution determined the resolution.
But if you set Monitor Out->Resolution to something else than Source, that overrides whatever
you have set in Source Setup->Picture Adjust->Resolution.

The manual (re Monitor Out->Resolution)

Source:
Output will be according to the resolution level which was set in the “Picture Adjust” setting.

post #58 of 382 Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

If you set the Monitor Out->Resolution to Source, each individual Source Setup->Picture Adjust->Resolution determined the resolution.
But if you set Monitor Out->Resolution to something else than Source, that overrides whatever
you have set in Source Setup->Picture Adjust->Resolution.

The manual (re Monitor Out->Resolution)

Source:
Output will be according to the resolution level which was set in the Picture Adjust setting.

WOW...I guess it pays to scroll a little lower in these menus . Thanks for the info it definitiely works now. since I was leaving the picture controls at default levels i never scrolled that low. There it was. Thanks again it working perfect now.

In search of video bliss...
post #59 of 382 Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

WOW...I guess it pays to scroll a little lower in these menus . Thanks for the info it definitiely works now. since I was leaving the picture controls at default levels i never scrolled that low. There it was. Thanks again it working perfect now.

Well I was going to post the exact same thing, but glad you got it worked out!
Per input settings are AWESOME!
Best,
Chris
post #60 of 382 Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot67 View Post

Thank you for the tip, Chris.
I'll try to program the "Activities" buttons on the original remote, it should accept 32 commannds for a macro, maybe this will be a solution.
I wouldn't want to invest on a new remote, as the remote that came with the AVR is already good enough, and can already command all my gear except the PS3.

Edit: I guess this will not work after all. Changing the Audyssey settings reguires navigating the menus, and as it always leaves the menu at a place you last visited, macros won't work

Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, pop for a harmony remote! Hell, even go with a refurbished one for $40 or so. The commands that can then be used are truly awesome. Pm me your email address if you want the full list jcalabria sent me. He is the one who should get the thanks for compiling these! One click for most everything.
Best,
Chris
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page