Onkyo TX-SR876 2.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I can't get 2.1 to work on my Onkyo. The manual says if you choose Stereo, you get left, right and sub. But it doesn't work. The only time my sub kicks in is if playing something in like PLIIx or another surround mode. I have a powered sub.

I would like to listen to music in 2.1 because my front speakers don't have a whole lot of bass.

I've tried CDs and MP3s from HTPC connected with Toslink. When I switch to Stereo, all I get is left and right. What am I doing wrong?

dudeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudeman View Post

Hello all,

I can't get 2.1 to work on my Onkyo. The manual says if you choose Stereo, you get left, right and sub. But it doesn't work. The only time my sub kicks in is if playing something in like PLIIx or another surround mode. I have a powered sub.

I would like to listen to music in 2.1 because my front speakers don't have a whole lot of bass.

I've tried CDs and MP3s from HTPC connected with Toslink. When I switch to Stereo, all I get is left and right. What am I doing wrong?

dudeman

33 views of my thread and no one has an answer????????????

dudeman
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The manual for your AVR also covers the 906 - you may be reading the 906 section.

As for setting up a 2 channel with a sub - go into your OSD and find the source you are using and select the speakers you wish to use with that source - it should include adding a sub. I had an Onkyo SC885 for a while and thats how I set up 2 channel.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I would check your speaker setup again and make sure its correct.
Make sure you have the front set to small with a crossover (100hz I would say) and the subwoofer is enabled with the LPE set to 120hz.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The manual for your AVR also covers the 906 - you may be reading the 906 section.

As for setting up a 2 channel with a sub - go into your OSD and find the source you are using and select the speakers you wish to use with that source - it should include adding a sub. I had an Onkyo SC885 for a while and thats how I set up 2 channel.

This setting does not exist. All speakers settings are global. You cannot change speaker configuration in each source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I would check your speaker setup again and make sure its correct.

Make sure you have the front set to small with a crossover (100hz I would say) and the subwoofer is enabled with the LPE set to 120hz.

This works but I do not want to have to do this every time I want to go from watching a movie to listening to music. I have used Audessey to setup the surround environment. It correctly identifies full range front speakers, which they are.

So to do what you suggest. I would have to first go into settings, then speaker config, then change front speakers to 120Hz. Then back out of all of that to listen to music. Then go back in and reverse this when I want to watch a movie.

If this is the only way this can be done, this sucks and I will be getting a different receiver as this Onkyo is kind of long in the tooth now. Still sounds great, but this sucks.

And to all of you who will say, just set your front speakers to small; there is no such setting. There is only frequency adjust. And to all those who will say just set them 120Hz all the time; I don't want to and movies sound bad this way. Same to all who would say set them to 80Hz.

I want then where they are; Fronts and center Full Range, surrounds at 70Hz. this sounds best to me. But, set like this, 2.1 does not work.

Thanks,
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Despite the system identifying your front speakers as "full range", or "large", it will sound better (by using the subwoofer all the time, as needed) by manually going back in and changing the front speakers to "small" (and leaving it that way, for all sources). The crossover frequency is a personal choice perhaps, but I set my '876 to a higher number (120 Hz maybe?) because that is supposed to give the Audyssey processor higher-resolution equalization in the bass.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page