Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 353 Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having issues with my receiver. Usually, after the receiver has been off for a long period of time (between 12 hours to 7 days) and after turning it on, the receiver will go into safety mode within a few seconds. Pressing down and menu on the unit resets it and it usually starts right up, though sometimes it goes back into safety mode again.

I had done some tests trying to figure out if it was a connection from one of the speakers or hdmi cords. Since the issue would happen pretty consistently after coming home from work, I would unplus half of the cords I had not ruled out to try to narrow down if something still plugged in was causing the issue. I had gotten it down to the subwoofer being the only thing plugged in with a regular RCA cord. But, I don't think that is causing it.

It seems to happen more often now that it is summer, but even when the ac has the room down to 72, it still happens. I had taken it to an authorized repair place, but he couldn't figure it out. Maybe I should have him try it again now that it is summer.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 353 Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Hi follks.

My mother has a NR1501 in her bedroom and it's not turning on anymore. The standy led is twinkling and I read that's a common issue with Marantz stuff. So, I need to reset, right?

What is the buttons combination to reset this model?
post #333 of 353 Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 AM

I find myself having to turn up the audio on the Marantz 1501 fairly high to be able to hear my Minx speakers.

Here's my setup:
Marantz 1501 receiver.
3 x Cambridge Audio Min20 (left, center, right)
Cambridge Audio x300 sub

Connections:
TV -> 1501 via HDMI. Audio via TV's Optical out.

I find that I need to have sound on the Marantz around 35-40 to be able to hear TV channels (optical out on Samsung LCD into the Marantz). Anything less then 20 cannot be heard. If i have a few people in the room talking then the sounds is pretty much drowned out.

I'm not sure how to track down the problem:
- is it with the setup options on the Marantz?
- is it the minx speakers?
- wrong speaker for the room size (3m x 10m)?

Happy to provide further details.. thanks for your help.
post #334 of 353 Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM

I also have to "turn it up" to get enough volume from the television. This is particularly true for transmissions in Dolby. I use the television's tosllink to the 1501 for television sound.
post #335 of 353 Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM

I've given up being concerned about the number. I just use it to know where to set it for a given function. In our small room, FM or CD is at 28 in the winter and 30 or so when the windows are all open in the summer. Movies start at about 40. I've never had to determine how high it can go before blowing out my Cambridge Soundworks speakers.
post #336 of 353 Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I know this is for 1501, but I have no idea where to let people know -

BB (at least in my area) had these marked off by 50 dollars. Thats somewhat like getting the items tax free.

Both the 1402 and 1602 were discounted. I don't know how long this will last but you are interested, you may want to inquire by calling them. There was the 6000 series as well also discounted.

If I am out of line posting here I apologize. I just wanted other Maratnz lovers to share in the good day after Christmas news.
post #337 of 353 Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM

I have a NR1501(Marantz)as well.

The HDMI output is working fine.
I can get my Tivo to work, my DVD to work and my Computer work thru it.

but the Marantz has option for seeing the menu setup stuff on TV.

And i can seem to get that working can someone help.

other problem i have is i can't get it to show my wii output which is going in via component out via HDMI.
post #338 of 353 Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 AM

I have exacly the same problem than you Tazza. I cannot get the Marantz setup menu to work through HDMI. The same with the video convert feature. Nor the component neither the cvbs signal is displayed properlly via HDMI. Ive tried with different TVs and the only thing I can see are some pink artifatcs moving in the screen when connected to a PC screen.
Am I missing something in the setup or shuold I go to the Technical Service?
Is there a firware update for this unit?

Thanks in advance
post #339 of 353 Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM

I recently bought this from somebody and I am having issues getting this thing to work. I have a Motorola dcx3400 pvr (cable provider - shaw, Canada) and a wdtv live connected to this going out to to an epson 3010. On the pvr, I can only get audio and no picture and then on the wdtv I can only get picture but no sound. I tried switching the hdmi inputs, but didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

post #340 of 353 Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The previous user probably configured the inputs for his equipment. If you haven't already done so, I suggest doing a system reset and then configuring inputs from scratch. Resetting and configuring are described in the manual. If you didn't get one with the receiver, it's available for downloading at
http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=NR1501

You should also make sure that all of your equipment, including the NR1501, have up-to-date firmware. Unfortunately, updating the 1501's firmware requires it to be sent to an authorized repair center.

Selden
post #341 of 353 Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The previous user probably configured the inputs for his equipment. If you haven't already done so, I suggest doing a system reset and then configuring inputs from scratch. Resetting and configuring are described in the manual. If you didn't get one with the receiver, it's available for downloading at
http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=NR1501

You should also make sure that all of your equipment, including the NR1501, have up-to-date firmware. Unfortunately, updating the 1501's firmware requires it to be sent to an authorized repair center.

Haven't thought of this. Will try that. Thanks

post #342 of 353 Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupdhon View Post

Haven't thought of this. Will try that. Thanks

I have the wdtv working fine now. However, even after the reset and changing a whole bunch of settings on the pvr, I still cannot get an image. Every once in a while, the image does come up for 2 or 3 seconds and then nothing. Changed hdmi cables and still nothing. what should I do? Hope the previous owner did not sell me a lemon

post #343 of 353 Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

A. Try some other HDMI source devices on the same HDMI input port (e.g. computer or disc player) If they work, then the problem most likely is in the PVR.

B. Try the same device on some other HDMI input ports. (The labels are just for your convenience. They all should work the same.) It could be that the input port you've been using is damaged.

If no device works on any port, then the HDMI card in the AVR could be damaged, or the AVR's firmware needs to be updated.

If only the PVR has problems, then update its firmware and try again. (I assume it works fine when it is plugged directly into your display device.)

HDMI/HCDP handshaking is fragile. Some devices simply don't like to communicate with one another or to work in HDMI networks containing certain other devices. Those problems need to be reported to all of the manufacturers involved, which might or might not result in firmware updates from them.

Selden
post #344 of 353 Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 AM

I have a NR1501(Marantz)as well. I have 3 problems that are causing me to consider switching to a different receiver.

1. I have to turn the sound WAY up to like 50 when watching TV. I know....the number shouldn't matter, but when I switch to FM or my Roku player without adjusting the volume, the sound blows my windows out. I have to rush to turn it down. I've tried every setting I could find to no avail.

2. Every once in a while, when I power up the receiver for the first time in a day or so, there's loud popping sounds that last a full 3 minutes before the regular volume kicks in. Obviously a defect.

3. Finally, my last problem is that the sound just mysteriously drops out from time to time. I'll be switching channels on the cable box and all of a sudden, no audio. The only fix is to change inputs, then back again.

I've procastinated taking the receiver to an authorized dealer. I don't want to be without, so I've tolerated the problems. I guess I also worry that since I can't reproduce any of these problems (they all occur randomly), the repair shop won't be able to fix it.

Has anyone experienced any or all of these problems? Anyone successfully get any of this fixed?

Thanks - Tim
post #345 of 353 Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Tim

If you bought the receiver from a local store, they may be willing to provide a loaner while yours is out for repair.

Differences in volume may be due to different levels coming from the sources. Have you tried switching them to different input ports to find out if this is the case? If it stays with a particular input connection on the receiver, then it is another defect which needs to be repaired. If you do need to compensate for different incoming sound levels, a different receiver, one with settable gains for the individual inputs, may be appropriate. Sorry, I have no suggestions.

Your two other problems certainly are caused by defects in the receiver.

Edited to add:
While I've encountered different sound levels from different sources, they haven't been dramatic and always have been caused by differences in the input signals, not in the receiver. I've never had the other problems you mention.

Selden
post #346 of 353 Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have one of these hooked up to a Mac Mini. I can't seem to get the center channel to work. I have it enabled in the setup and I'm sure the wiring is correct as I've done an audio test on the speakers and it outputs sound from the center. Anyone have any ideas on anything I can do? Thanks.
post #347 of 353 Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Does my nr1501 need a pre amp to play my B&O turntable?
post #348 of 353 Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
The NR1501 does not have a dedicated phono input so you would need to add a phono preamp

Plenty of phono pre-amps available on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=phono+amp

Afro GT
post #349 of 353 Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWilmath View Post

I have a NR1501(Marantz)as well. I have 3 problems that are causing me to consider switching to a different receiver.

1. I have to turn the sound WAY up to like 50 when watching TV. I know....the number shouldn't matter, but when I switch to FM or my Roku player without adjusting the volume, the sound blows my windows out. I have to rush to turn it down. I've tried every setting I could find to no avail.

2. Every once in a while, when I power up the receiver for the first time in a day or so, there's loud popping sounds that last a full 3 minutes before the regular volume kicks in. Obviously a defect.

3. Finally, my last problem is that the sound just mysteriously drops out from time to time. I'll be switching channels on the cable box and all of a sudden, no audio. The only fix is to change inputs, then back again.

I've procastinated taking the receiver to an authorized dealer. I don't want to be without, so I've tolerated the problems. I guess I also worry that since I can't reproduce any of these problems (they all occur randomly), the repair shop won't be able to fix it.

Has anyone experienced any or all of these problems? Anyone successfully get any of this fixed?

Thanks - Tim

For #3 if you're using a cable box/DVR combo try just hitting the DVR rewind button for a split second. This is especially true if you're fast forwarding through a show and the audio drops out. Much easier that changing the source back and forth.
post #350 of 353 Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
I have a question for other NR1501 owners regarding the Headphone jack.

When in Auto mode, and let's say you watch a Blu Ray in DTS-HD, is the headphone jack supposed to work?

I hear all the dialog coming from one side of the headphones...

(yes, I have confirmed the headphones are fine by plugging them into another stereo component)

What is Marantz' stated functionality for the headphone jack when listening to multichannel content?

post #351 of 353 Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM

So now I have a 1501. I got it for free. It was on Craigslist for $150 but when he was transporting it he hit his car door with the big selector knob on the left. The pcb board behind the display is now in 6 pieces. I guess I will try to fix it and if that doesn't work I'll have to find one that crapped out on someone.

Anyhow, it will be driving 5 KEF speakers. I am excited to see how it works (if it works!)
post #352 of 353 Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 AM

Well, I got the board back together. It was quite the undertaking. There were 47 breaks in the traces on the board, but I got it together and did just a little testing. I didn't have it buttoned up until late last night so I couldn't do very intensive testing. So far it sounds pretty good. Excited to turn it up a little.
post #353 of 353 Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNYC View Post

I have a question for other NR1501 owners regarding the Headphone jack.

When in Auto mode, and let's say you watch a Blu Ray in DTS-HD, is the headphone jack supposed to work?

I hear all the dialog coming from one side of the headphones...

(yes, I have confirmed the headphones are fine by plugging them into another stereo component)

What is Marantz' stated functionality for the headphone jack when listening to multichannel content?

So I asked Marantz the same question, this is what they had to say.

Would another NR1501 owner be willing to test this for me? Plug in headphones and watch a Blu-Ray while in DTS-MA mode. Do you hear the content mostly in the right channel?
Code:
Response NJ Customer Service & Support via Email 02/27/2014 04:52 PM
Hello Jay,

That could either be a logic issue within the unit or the DAC used for the HDMI and other digital outputs to output to the HP jack. I would first try resetting the 1501's microprocessor by following the procedure on page 37 of the manual (To Restore The Default Settings) to rule out a logic issue.

If the reset doesn't correct the problem, then I would have to think there's a problem in the DAC or the trace to the HP output. That said, I would recommend having the 1501 evaluated by an authorized service technician. http://us.marantz.com/us/Support/Pages/ServiceCenter.aspx

Thank you,

Technical Support / Custom Install
D&M Holdings NA
Auto-Response 02/26/2014 09:01 PM

Customer Jay B via Web 02/26/2014 09:01 PM
Hi. I have the NR1501 receiver.

If I set the input to FM TUNER or my CD PLAYER (via analog RCAs) and plug in the headphones, it sounds great. Both channels are equally loud and the stereo sound is great in my headphones.

If I set the input to BluRay or Tivo (both connected via HDMI) and plug in the headphones, the sound comes almost completely from the right side. It does not matter whether the HDMI audio is DTA-MA or PCM, the sound is dominant in the right headphone channel. I hear all the dialog coming from the right side. To reiterate, there is nothing wrong with the headphones or headphone jack as both work fine with FM or CD.

What is going on here and what is the solution?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page