AVS Forum banner

Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread

183K views 413 replies 150 participants last post by  DrewL 
#1 ·
Mine is arriving this afternoon and will set it up and begin to post impressions.

See less See more
#277 ·
Hi, Folks.

I just ordered my second HTR yesterday, and I can hardly wait! It will replace an aging but die-hard Yamaha HTR-5630.

I have a history of doing it as frugally (Cheaply!) as possible due to the ever present wife-acceptance-factor. But last year, when she suggested we should get a new TV, before she drew her next breath I had order confirmation from Amazon on a Samsung LN46A650.

The next thing I replaced was an old but top-rated Toshiba DVD player. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I needed/wanted the HDMI connectivity. After watching Finding Nemo again on the new Panasonic DMP-BD60, I was amazed to see the fingerprints left by the little brat with the braces, after she poked at the fishtank glass. (One of my favorite scenes. It has some serious subwoofer fodder. I figure that's exactly what a fish experiences!
)

My old HTR has only one digital audio input, so I was able to extend it's life with an HDMI switch box from Monoprice. This one is unique in that it splits out the audio into several different formats. And it was a lot cheaper than a new reciever. Only gripe is that the LEDs are BLINDINGLY BRIGHT.

I ordered and returned a Sony HTSS360 HTIB. I really, really wanted to like it because the amp unit was so sleek (LOTS of WAF), but it was just a gutless wonder. I worked with it for a week or more before I sent it back. I'm glad I ,did because I have a new Marantz NR-1501 comming! But I'm still puzzled by how something rated at 1KW can sound so anemic.

Earlier this year I replaced all my speakers (Minimus 7s and a Shack sub I modified to be self-powered) with the Yamaha Speaker System In-a-Box for about $100. Increased WAF by 2-fold and they magically project the soundfield in a way I didn't think possible. The sub is nothing short of a pleasant surprise, too (considering what I was used to). The best part is that the sale of the Minimus speakers more than paid for the new ones. Lots of bang for the buck!

So ... Replacing my old HTR with this sexy Marantz unit represents a bold step up and forward for me.

I can hardly wait!

#278 ·
Does this receiver do any audio conversion in the HDMI stream? For example, if you wanted to use the built-in speakers on your TV, but wire the whole thing using only HDMI. Can it convert something like DTS-HD to something the TV can handle? If I was converting an analog VCR connection, would it convert that to an audio channel on the HDMI out?

#279 ·
I've seen it mentioned before. Setup fails saying either the speaker or the microphone isn't connected. It doesn't seem to ramp up the volume as I'd expect. If I chase the test tone around the room from speaker to speaker, setup will complete, but obviously that isn't a viable solution. Other than manual setup, I haven't seen a fix for this. Automatic setup and form-factor were my two biggest justifications for the price of this unit. Is there a resolution?

#280 ·
OK guys I have read this entire thread and I am pleasently surprised with this reciever.

But I am on the fence and I was hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

I am looking at this receiver the Marantz NR1501 vs a Denon AVR-1611.

I like the look and the function of the Marantz but the Denon has more bells and whistles. HDMI 1.4 etc.

Currently I am using an old Onkyo with a pair of Energy Take TWR for the fronts.

and the Polk RM6750 5.1 speaker set for center/surround/sub "I have one extra pair of Polk speakers for the 7.1"

Because there are so many great people on this forum that know more about this then I will ever know I would like to ask, which receiver would you guys recommend?

#281 ·
Just started reading through the posts. I'm contemplating getting one of these for a basic budget HT build.

-Small room (15x15)

-will be using Jamo s413 5.1 speakers

-only hooking up a BD player, CD player and maybe an xbox in the future

I have a couple of questions:

-Do you think it will be adequate for the room/speakers

-Hows the sound callibration?

-How much better would a Denon 590/591 be? (That's where I was leaning).

Thanks

#282 ·
another newbie chiming in here.

I recently grabbed a set of pinnacle MB6000 speakers and now I need to find an amp. this looks like it would fit the bill.

however I already have a pair of paradigm monitor 5 V3 speakers which i'd be using for the fronts, and i'd be using the pinnacle centre, sub, and surrounds.

would this setup be ok alongside this amp? what do you think?

#283 ·
just got my nr 1501 & was very happy with it until it started to change inputs all on its own! right in the middle of some heavy on line fighting & bam!! i'm starring at a black screen & the display says blue ray...wtf i'm on the game input.. switch it over..bam!! i'm on the tv input...anyone else have this issue?

#284 ·
Hey guys, new owner of the nr1501.

I'm fairly happy with this unit except a few problems.

I currently have the NR1501 paired in a 5.0 setup with:

2 Energy RC-70's front's

1 Energy RC-mini Center channel

2 Energy RC-R rear's

I bought the receiver and speakers brand new but I noticed I have the audio clipping / popping after about an hour or more of use. I have a PS3 via HDMI, SA 4250 cable box via HDMI and a DVI-HDMI cpu input with optical cable for sound.

All 3 + the radio suffers from this problem though its not noticeable/not often if would pop when listening to music. This also happens to any 1 of the 5 channels at random times thouh it does seem mainly from the left front speaker.

Is this speaker match not good with this receiver or what else could it be? I listen through auto surround most of the time and my source material is usually MKV's with DTS audio, but all audio sources give this problem.

Another thing I wonder is how loud do you guys need to go to get adequate volume? I find myself at ~30 for night time watching ~40 for daytime, ~50 for movies and 50-60 for music. Is this correct or could it be that the speakers are not right with this receiver? I also don't use a sub, so if I add one do you think it would be better?

Thanks all.

#285 ·
I didnt know if anyone else was having this issue-

Here is the setup-

DirecTV and Blu ray to the Marantz NR1501 via HDMI

HDMI from the Marantz unit to my Panasonic Plasma

Using Energy 5.0 speakers

Two main issues:

1- When we are watching tv, and change from a standard definition channel to a high definition channel, we lose all sound. I have to grab the remote and hit surround a few times to get it to come back. This only happens when going from SD to HD. This does not happen going from HD to SD.

2- We will lose sound completely for about a split second. This happens on all channels, and even DVR programs. Its almost like a hiccup. There is no pop noise, it just goes dead for a second, and then comes back.

The best advise that I found on the marantz site was to re-boot the unit- which I did, but it did not help.

The other issue I have is i just dont think that I have the speakers set properly. the center sounds like people are in a cave. Not sure if its the AV or the speakers. ( or user error
)

Also- my hdmi cables are the Amazon basic cables. Would I be better off upgrading to something like what Blue Jean cable offers?

Thanks

#286 ·
Hi, I'm trying to configure my LG Plasma (50PK750) on the Marantz remote in order to be able to turn it on and off. None of the codes in the manual worked form me. Also I am having issues to control my DirecTv DVR receiver (HR21).

No problems to control my Sony Bluray player.

Any ideas?

Thanks !!

#287 ·
Has anyone had their NR1501 remote control freeze up? More specifically, the IR receiver on the NR1501 stop responding to commands? This happened on my unit, which I swapped out for a new one, and it is now happening with the new one as well. So not a fluke.

I have a NR1501 with a Home Theater Master MX-700 and MR-260 base station. It will work fine for a few days, then stop accepting IR commands. I know it isn't the remote, because it won't accept commands from the Marantz remote either. If I power cycle the NR1501, it will begin accepting commands again.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

#288 ·
Considering getting this receiver to replace a ten year old Yamaha RX-V1200. Would like to obtain the new codecs it offers and HDMI passthrough capabilities.

I currently have Paradigm Monitor 7s as mains, Paradigm CC370 as center, and a pair of Paradigm Titans as surrounds. Paradigm PDR12 as sub. Would the NR1501 be fine for this setup? Currently the Yamaha receiver is 80w per channel.

Please advise if you have speakers being powered by the Marants NR1501 that are comparable to my Monitor 7s.......thanks!

#289 ·
I love my 1501 except for a specific audio problem. When I watch a recorded show on my DirecTv dvr, sometimes the audio will drop out after if I'm doing a lot of rewinding or fast forwarding. For example I'll FF through the commercials on a basketball game, or maybe rewind to see a replay of a good shot someone took, and when I hit "play" the picture plays but the audio is completely muted. To get the audio back I either have to switch the source input on the 1501 to something else then back to the dvr, or sometimes I have to power the 1501 off, then back on. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The connection is HDMI, and this never happened before I had the 1501.

Otherwise I love it.

Thanks

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman /forum/post/19747236

Another thing I wonder is how loud do you guys need to go to get adequate volume? I find myself at ~30 for night time watching ~40 for daytime, ~50 for movies and 50-60 for music. Is this correct or could it be that the speakers are not right with this receiver? I also don't use a sub, so if I add one do you think it would be better?

Im using ~25 when listening music (2ch, ps3, hdmi); ~15 for night time watching (2ch, opt); ~25 for daytime (2ch, opt); ~35 for movies (5.1ch, ps3, hdmi)

Your volume rates are really high compared to mine. I guess your speakers are the main reason. Adding a sub might help to lower the volume rates. Nr1501 output is pre-out so active sub doesn't use the amp power and that's why it wont affect the amp volume. But with the sub you can fill your bass needs even if you are using lower amp volume levels. (please correct if im wrong) And usually low sounds are the reason for high volume rates used.

In my earlier post i was having problems with my nr1501. Now everything seems to be ok. No popping sound and overheating. I think it was the warm indoor temperature that caused the problems.

#291 ·
Wow, Room EQ does make a massive difference in the auto-setup. I have 2 Energy RC-Mini's as my Left/Right, an Energy RC-Mini center and a Velodyne VDR-12 as my sub. So a 3.1 setup. My Energy's state they should be crossed over at 100hz.

Crossovers with Room EQ off:

* L/R: 90hz

* Center: 60hz

Crossovers with Room EQ on:

* L/R: 175hz

* Center: 90hz

I have to say, things sound much richer and not as boomy with Room EQ on and so far I've left the 2nd pair of settings active. Feels weird to crossover at such high frequencies, but can't complain with the way it sounds

Farhan

#292 ·
I have done the auto speaker set up last night successfully but decided to re-do it today. However, I am now not able to do it and the error message is showing...I am either not plugging the microphone or my front speakers are not connected. I have exit out the set up and listening to my front speakers with my TV program on. I am able to hear sound coming out from both of my front speakers. Any idea why I am getting this error message?

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller /forum/post/19607780

I've seen it mentioned before. Setup fails saying either the speaker or the microphone isn't connected. It doesn't seem to ramp up the volume as I'd expect. If I chase the test tone around the room from speaker to speaker, setup will complete, but obviously that isn't a viable solution. Other than manual setup, I haven't seen a fix for this. Automatic setup and form-factor were my two biggest justifications for the price of this unit. Is there a resolution?

I just got mine last night. I was able to set up the first time but got the same error as yours today.....did you find the solutions?

#294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj400 /forum/post/0

I love my 1501 except for a specific audio problem. When I watch a recorded show on my DirecTv dvr, sometimes the audio will drop out after if I'm doing a lot of rewinding or fast forwarding. For example I'll FF through the commercials on a basketball game, or maybe rewind to see a replay of a good shot someone took, and when I hit "play" the picture plays but the audio is completely muted. To get the audio back I either have to switch the source input on the 1501 to something else then back to the dvr, or sometimes I have to power the 1501 off, then back on. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The connection is HDMI, and this never happened before I had the 1501.

Otherwise I love it.

Thanks

Same thing happens to me. Only solution I've found is to change the input, then back again.

#297 ·
Hello,

I recently get a marantz nr1501.

I usually have my pc with a graphic card nvidia gforce 460 gtx-oc connected through hdmi cable to my LG3000 tv. It works fine.

Ok now with my marantz I conected the PC to the marantz and y select the input (game or dvd or whatever, I tried all of them) and I put a hdmi cable from the marantz output to my LG tv but nothing happens, no sound on the marantz connected speakers and no video displayed on tv, but configuration menu of marantz is displayed on tv.

To discard sound problems I connected as usual my pc to tv with hdmi and then my pc with marantz through spdif digital audio optical cable. Well I see as usual the pc image on tv correctly and I hear the sound of my pc via marantz connected speakers, so all work fine.

I also tried to conect my LG tv to the marantz so I was able to see common tv but listen it through marantz connected speakers perfectly.

And I also hear radio from marantz directly.

Well, spdif and sound seems to work fine on marantz, my pc signal reach tv without problem but for an unkown reason to me, I cant pass the pc video through the marantz usgin any hdmi port and also I cant hear in the marantz speakers the sound from that pc hdmi connection so I dont know what to do now.

I am using a HDCP compliant 1080x720 (720p) resolution with my nvidia geforce 460 gtx-oc graphic video card

Any help will be really appreciated.

#298 ·
pc hdmi output -> nr1501 hdmi input , nr1501 hdmi output -> tv hdmi input

NVIDIA control panel settings might be the problem. Make sure your pc recognizes your tv connected to nr1501 and the resolution is correct for your tv to understand (f.eg. 720p 60Hz). Remember to enable pc hd audio output.

Nr1501 configuration menu:

look at the english manual page 19. system setup - hdmi audio out: off

now hdmi audio is not connected to nr1501 hdmi output -> only hdmi video goes to tv.

look at the english manual page 20 to make sure your input setup is correct.

For example if your pc is connected to nr1501 game hdmi input:

Game config

name :Game

digital in :---

audio mode :hdmi

auto surround :auto

lip sync :0ms

#299 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking one of these up for a 2.1 system. My current amp is a Cambridge Audio 540A(60 Watts), and its have some serious issues, from channels randomly cutting out completely to running low volume, and crackling/fuzzing. But all of that is besides the point.

I need an amp that can run two sets of speakers at the same time, as I run my subwoofer on speaker level(I've got 40 foot cables ran to them, to expensive to use line level). And I like the idea of running my PC, Xbox, Sat, and PS3 HDMI cables through the amp and having one remote to switch between them all.

So here's my question, can I set this amp up to run two sets of speakers, and if anyone knows how well it will sound with my Wharfedales that would be appreciated as well.

And one more thing, Would any of you happen to know how much power it uses from the wall at about half volume? Power around here is fairly expensive so the more efficient system I can get the better.

Thanks for all your time.

#300 ·
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the sound quality of the 1501 compares to the 1601? Both appear to have the same power output. I'm considering which to buy, and I don't need the additional features of the 1601, so if sound quality is identical I'd choose to save money and go with the 1501.

Thanks!

#301 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj400

Otherwise I love it.

Thanks
Very familiar; I've been dealing with the exact same issue for over a year with my Motorola DVR (Verizon/Frontier FIOS). I think I read once it has to do with the HDMI sync or some other issue with the HDMI switch. I suppose I should bring it in for a software update while it's still under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.