Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 353 Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 347
The nr1501 does have two audio configuration memories. Switching between them might help when switching between inputs. (I haven't tried that yet.) You can change speaker levels while watching or listening. (I have done this.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synch View Post

The exact method to change speaker levels on the fly is:

CH SEL
Down arrow (on the circle) to cycle through the 5 channels
Left/ Right Arrow (on the circle) to Adjust levels
Exit

The long audio dropout when resyncing might be fixed with a firmware update. It's annoying that the receiver has to be sent to a repair center for that. I'm planning to send mine in for an update next week.

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 353 Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The nr1501 does have two audio configuration memories. Switching between them might help when switching between inputs. (I haven't tried that yet.) You can change speaker levels while watching or listening. (I have done this.)
The long audio dropout when resyncing might be fixed with a firmware update. It's annoying that the receiver has to be sent to a repair center for that. I'm planning to send mine in for an update next week.

I upped the center channel and played the same scene on the disc today. Seems to be better now. Will know when playing more discs. Will have to look into the level memory as I don't remember seeing that in the manual.
As far as updates- I guess I should have put more thought into this and the fact that it can not be done at the home site . I will not pay to ship this unit somewhere to get it fixed on my dime. To say nothing about the hassle of removing it from my setup. Maybe I should have purchased a different receiver but needed a smaller form factor!
Gerry
post #93 of 353 Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

I upped the center channel and played the same scene on the disc today. Seems to be better now. Will know when playing more discs. Will have to look into the level memory as I don't remember seeing that in the manual.

It's described on p27 of the manual.
Quote:

As far as updates- I guess I should have put more thought into this and the fact that it can not be done at the home site . I will not pay to ship this unit somewhere to get it fixed on my dime. To say nothing about the hassle of removing it from my setup. Maybe I should have purchased a different receiver but needed a smaller form factor!
Gerry

Avoiding this kind of hassle is one reason I bought from a local B&M. They provide shipping and a loaner.

Selden
post #94 of 353 Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an NR1501 on order, it should arrive sometime next week. I'm interested to see how this unit compares with my SR8001 for both music and movies.

Mike
post #95 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Can anyone tell me whether the NR1510 will work OK with Energy RC Micro 51. speaker system? Some specs: the impedance for these speakers are 8 ohms, and the subwoofer is powered (I believe 250 watts).

Also, the NR1501 will be in a cabinet shelf 22 in wide, but only 6 inches high (just 2 inches clearance above).
Do you think this is Ok, or should I look into rigging an exhaust fan through the back wall of the cabinet?

Thanks,
post #96 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coccop View Post

Can anyone tell me whether the NR1510 will work OK with Energy RC Micro 51. speaker system? Some specs: the impedance for these speakers are 8 ohms, and the subwoofer is powered (I believe 250 watts).

it'll be fine. i love this receiver. it's not a ginormous powerhouse but considering you're running the energy micro line, i doubt you're looking for powerhouse.

Quote:

Also, the NR1501 will be in a cabinet shelf 22 in wide, but only 6 inches high (just 2 inches clearance above).
Do you think this is Ok, or should I look into rigging an exhaust fan through the back wall of the cabinet?
Thanks,

those dimensions are about what i've got. it seems ok. the funny thing about this "slim" receiver is that the manual states you should have 8in of clearance above the unit! this means, they want you to put this 4in unit on a 12in shelf. kind of defeats the purpose of the "slim" inconspicuous receiver.
post #97 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

The RC Micro package seems to have a reasonably high sensitivity (88 db). With only 50 W/ch, the 1501 might have some problems developing a high sound level in a large room, though.

Selden
post #98 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks blakelock ... I'll probably buy the nr1501 and micro's today ... and I thought the 8 inch clearance recommendation seemed odd too ...
post #99 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

selden ball, thanks for your input ... not so concerned about a high sound level in my situation (volume will be set pretty low almost all the time), so I think I'm OK, thanks again.
post #100 of 353 Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:

The RC Micro package seems to have a reasonably high sensitivity (88 db). With only 50 W/ch, the 1501 might have some problems developing a high sound level in a large room, though.

My speakers (Silverline Preludes) have a sensitivity level of 91db and my room is 20x30 with vaulted ceilings, do you think I'll have issues with sound volume?

Mike
post #101 of 353 Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 PM

I have a question i'm considering this unit b/c of Marantz's reputation the size is perfect for the TV stand I currently have for the room it'll be in... my question is, is it 50wpc all channels driven? Is it like HK where they conservatively rate their wattage? if its all channels driven then only 50wpc should be fine for my usage, but if its not, and its more like a normal say yamaha AVR where even though its says 90wpc, its probably closer to 30-40 when driving all channels, then its probably not what i'm looking for...
post #102 of 353 Old 12-25-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsax View Post

I have a question i'm considering this unit b/c of Marantz's reputation the size is perfect for the TV stand I currently have for the room it'll be in... my question is, is it 50wpc all channels driven? Is it like HK where they conservatively rate their wattage? if its all channels driven then only 50wpc should be fine for my usage, but if its not, and its more like a normal say yamaha AVR where even though its says 90wpc, its probably closer to 30-40 when driving all channels, then its probably not what i'm looking for...

Marantz tends to use conservative ratings, but its power supply is rated at only 250W (see pg 42 of the manual), which is a lot less than 7x50. I haven't seen any formal measurements of the NR1501, though.

Selden
post #103 of 353 Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 AM

Hey there,

I am considering the NR1501, as it looks near ideal for my situation. It will be replacing an aging denon 2801. I have a couple of questions:

My TV is an old tube HD sony XBR with component inputs only (no dvi or hdmi) - does the NR1501 scale analog composite video (thinking kids toys that have a TV-out) for the component video out, or only for the HDMI out?

My front speakers are original Def Tech BP-10's rated at 6 ohms - is that going to kill the receiver?

And my biggest issue is sound sync/delay - I read that it is manual with the NR1501, but do I have to drop out into the menu to set it? That'll make it hard to get the sync right.

(I'll be feeding it an xbox 360 and fios cable for now, with a PS3 for blu-ray by years' end)

Thanks!
post #104 of 353 Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post

Hey there,
My TV is an old tube HD sony XBR with component inputs only (no dvi or hdmi) - does the NR1501 scale analog composite video (thinking kids toys that have a TV-out) for the component video out, or only for the HDMI out?

pg 29 of the manual (found on the marantz site) seems to show that if component out to the TV is used, neither HDMI nor composite video signal can be sent. you can only send signals that are input through component. HDMI out will forward all signals. of course, you could hook up the kid's toys directly to the tv and only route component signals through the receiver.

Quote:

My front speakers are original Def Tech BP-10's rated at 6 ohms - is that going to kill the receiver?

don't think it'll be a problem. i'm running a pair of 6 ohm fronts and so far so good. oithers seem to state that marantz is typically good on power.

Quote:

And my biggest issue is sound sync/delay - I read that it is manual with the NR1501, but do I have to drop out into the menu to set it? That'll make it hard to get the sync right.

manual pg 28 says it can be done while watching the video

Quote:

(I'll be feeding it an xbox 360 and fios cable for now, with a PS3 for blu-ray by years' end)

schweet
post #105 of 353 Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelock View Post

pg 29 of the manual (found on the marantz site) seems to show that if component out to the TV is used, neither HDMI nor composite video signal can be sent. you can only send signals that are input through component. HDMI out will forward all signals. of course, you could hook up the kid's toys directly to the tv and only route component signals through the receiver.

Will the on-screen menus show up in the component output? I could limp by with just the component connections through the receiver for now.

Anything else I'd lose by not having an HDMI-enabled TV set?

(I have a 2 year old, and I have visions of him putting a toy excavator through a flat-panel TV, the 32" Tube XBR is a TANK he won't be able to damage until MUCH later.)

Edit: "new member"?!?!?! I've been a lurker since 2002! (just joking!)
Thanks for the info about the delay and 6 ohm speakers not being a hold-up.
post #106 of 353 Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm considering this receiver to replace my JVC RX-D702B.

Now that I have a 1080p TV, I found that the JVC is unable to accept a 1080p signal. I chose the JVC receiver, because it was one of the few receivers out there that was smaller than 5.25" in height, which is how much height space is available on my media stand between each shelf.

Is the Marantz going to perform well in a family room that has a 5.1 speaker setup (Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and Sub-12), where the viewers will be about 12' away from the center speaker?
post #107 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

That Klipsh center is reasonably sensitive (94db) as are the satellites (91db) so it probably would be OK. I'd suggest getting it from a local dealer, though, so you can return it if it can't produce as loud a volume as you need. Remember that you don't want to have to turn it up so far that it distorts and clips, since that can damage tweeters. Unfortunately, it doesn't have preamp outputs, so it can't be used with most amps.

Selden
post #108 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM

ppshooky,

I have a similar set up as what you are proposing...I have a Boston Acoustic 5.1 package that has all satellite speakers and Sub. I am about 13' away from the CH. The only problem I had was in the CH and that was just because the Boston package I had had all 5 speakers the same (ie no separate centre channel) this resulted in dialogue scenes being a bit too quiet. I found a Boston Acoustic centre channel at a local store that fit into my system really good. I set the receiver to Prologic II movie and it works great in 5.1 on just about any audio signal input. Overall, I'm really happy with the system.
post #109 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info.

I typically don't have my volume at ear-drum bursting volume, though I do like my bass.

The dimensions of the room, if I recall, is about 20ftx25ftx10ft high ceiling. I just want to make sure that it'll fill the room as well as the JVC (if not better) receiver that's currently there.

50W per channel seems pretty low, but I've read several reviews that stated that Marantz was giving a more conservative number on the wattage.
post #110 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM

You shouldn't have any volume conserns with those room dimensions, although my room overall is a bit smaller than that, I don't think I have had my volume over about 45 (I think max volume is like 75 or 80) and that is more than sufficient. I guess if you like ear0deafening sound you wouldn't likely consider this receiver in the first place
post #111 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

ppshooky,

Unfortunately, it looks to me like Marantz has not rated this receiver as conservatively as they have past receivers. In particular, its power supply is rated at only 250Watts. This means a full-bandwidth all-channels-driven rating would be more like 250/2/7= about 18W. In other words, I don't think it's a good match for the size of your room.

What model of JVC receiver do you have now?
In particular, what's its power supply Wattage rating?
(Divide it by 14 to get a value you can compare in W/channel)

What models of speakers do you have?
In particular, what are their impedances and sensitivies?
(higher is better for both to minimize the power needed)

Selden
post #112 of 353 Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ppshooky,

Unfortunately, it looks to me like Marantz has not rated this receiver as conservatively as they have past receivers. In particular, its power supply is rated at only 250Watts. This means a full-bandwidth all-channels-driven rating would be more like 250/2/7= about 18W. In other words, I don't think it's a good match for the size of your room.

What model of JVC receiver do you have now?
In particular, what's its power supply Wattage rating?
(Divide it by 14 to get a value you can compare in W/channel)

What models of speakers do you have?
In particular, what are their impedances and sensitivies?
(higher is better for both to minimize the power needed)

Receiver: JVC RX-D702B (http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...3&archive=true)
According to the manual, power consumption at operation is 195W.

Speakers: Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and Sub-12
- Quintent: NOMINAL IMPEDANCE = 8 ohms compatible; SENSITIVITY = Satellite: 91dB@2.83 volts/1 meter, Center: 94dB@2.83 volts/1 meter

If what you say is true, then the claims that the JVC can output to 150w per channel is not possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigglesworth View Post

You shouldn't have any volume conserns with those room dimensions, although my room overall is a bit smaller than that, I don't think I have had my volume over about 45 (I think max volume is like 75 or 80) and that is more than sufficient. I guess if you like ear0deafening sound you wouldn't likely consider this receiver in the first place

Hmm...I'm not sure what my current JVC receiver's maximum volume value is. I typically keep it in the 10-14 range when playing PS3 games, 20 when watching DVD/Blu-Ray, and 18 when watching TV. Seems plenty loud to me.
post #113 of 353 Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

ppshooky,

If you're happy with the volume level of your JVC, then I think you'll be happy with the Marantz.

All inexpensive receivers are rated at about 100W/channel, no matter what. The manufacturers would lose substantial market share if they couldn't find a way to do that. There are various valid ways to measure the output which can yield higher numbers than we would like. Which method they used is usually stated in the fine print. The most generous way is to measure the maximum output of a single channel driven with a 1 KHz sine wave. It looks like that's the method JVC used. The power supply can do that. (My factor of two is just a guesstimate. Different methods of amplifying the sound waste more or less power while doing so.) Another is to drive two channels (left and right front) with a 1KHz sine wave. (in this case, they'll usually say "two channels driven" in the fine print.) A better way is "full bandwidth, two channels driven", and the best is "full bandwidth, all channels driven simultaneously" -- which would need approximately 7x2xrating Watts(*) from the power supply. E.g. My Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp is rated at 150W/channel and has a power supply rated to deliver 6.5 Amps. 6.5Amps x 120Volts = 780 Watts. 780/5=156 W/channel. I guess that's close enough, although it's missing the factor of two.
____
* - I used a factor of 7 because most modern receivers include 7 amplifiers for the 7 channels of surround sound. The MM9000 is a 5 channel amp because it was designed almost a decade ago, before 7 channels became popular.

Selden
post #114 of 353 Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ppshooky,

If you're happy with the volume level of your JVC, then I think you'll be happy with the Marantz.

All inexpensive receivers are rated at about 100W/channel, no matter what. The manufacturers would lose substantial market share if they couldn't find a way to do that. There are various valid ways to measure the output which can yield higher numbers than we would like. Which method they used is usually stated in the fine print. The most generous way is to measure the maximum output of a single channel driven with a 1 KHz sine wave. It looks like that's the method JVC used. The power supply can do that. (My factor of two is just a guesstimate. Different methods of amplifying the sound waste more or less power while doing so.) Another is to drive two channels (left and right front) with a 1KHz sine wave. (in this case, they'll usually say "two channels driven" in the fine print.) A better way is "full bandwidth, two channels driven", and the best is "full bandwidth, all channels driven simultaneously" -- which would need approximately 7x2xrating Watts(*) from the power supply. E.g. My Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp is rated at 150W/channel and has a power supply rated to deliver 6.5 Amps. 6.5Amps x 120Volts = 780 Watts. 780/5=156 W/channel. I guess that's close enough, although it's missing the factor of two.
____
* - I used a factor of 7 because most modern receivers include 7 amplifiers for the 7 channels of surround sound. The MM9000 is a 5 channel amp because it was designed almost a decade ago, before 7 channels became popular.

Thanks for the explanation! Looks like this will be the next receiver I will buy in the future.
post #115 of 353 Old 01-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
My only beef is that there is no port to upgrade the firmware..
post #116 of 353 Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The week before Christmas I sent my 1501 out for a firmware upgrade to eliminate an audio dropout after skipping to the start of CD tracks and movie chapters. I just learned that it'll be another three weeks because they are waiting for a part from Marantz.

This suggests that
1. 1501 firmware updates require a ROM change and
2. they're still working on a fix for the problem.

Either that or they fried something while doing the update

Selden
post #117 of 353 Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The week before Christmas I sent my 1501 out for a firmware upgrade to eliminate an audio dropout after skipping to the start of CD tracks and movie chapters. I just learned that it'll be another three weeks because they are waiting for a part from Marantz.

This suggests that
1. 1501 firmware updates require a ROM change and
2. they're still working on a fix for the problem.

Either that or they fried something while doing the update

That's disappointing.

Maybe I'll hold off until the existing stock is updated, or the new inventory has the newer firmware.
post #118 of 353 Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Hi all!

Just got my NR1501 delivered yesterday and with the DefTech ProCinema 600.

Doing research, I knew the PC600 had a weird setup in terms of connections and bass management settings on receiver.

Then found that the NR1501 doesn't have a bass management option in it's settings?!

Was wondering what do I need to do to achieve the right setup for the PC600 speakers, namely (from the manual)

- "Large Left and Right Main speakers"
- "Small Center"
- "Small Rear Surround Speakers"
- "NO Subwoofer" (this one I know already)

Help and input would be greatly appreciated!
post #119 of 353 Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdincourt View Post

Then found that the NR1501 doesn't have a bass management option in it's settings?!

Sure it does. It's described in the manual.
The menus are shown on page 18: subwoofer mode, speaker setup, and channel level setup. Details are on
pg 19 -- 1-1 Sub W Mode
pg 21 -- 3 Speaker/R.EQ Setup
pg 24 -- 4. Ch Level Setup

You can either run the Marantz proprietary room equalization using the supplied microphone (pg 22: 3-1 Auto Setup) or you can set all the speakers manually (pg 22: 3-2 Manual Setup & pg 24).

Selden
post #120 of 353 Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
efc

Can anyone comment about the quality of the DACs for music (2-channel) listening? Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page