Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 353 Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys changing the topic a little bit ,how deos one connect a spectrum analyzer/equalizer to this.I have this one below ,in particular in mind Technical Pro EQ-B5200

http://tpro.com/prods.php?prod=EQ-B5200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 353 Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

Guys changing the topic a little bit ,how deos one connect a spectrum analyzer/equalizer to this.I have this one below ,in particular in mind Technical Pro EQ-B5200

http://tpro.com/prods.php?prod=EQ-B5200

If you just want to watch the spectrum analyzer's dancing lights, you can connect it to the receiver's VCR stereo analog outputs.

Unfortunately the equalizer can't affect all of the receiver's audio sources for this model of receiver.

You can only connect it in-line between one of the stereo analog input devices and the corresponding stereo analog input on the receiver. It will only affect the sound coming from that one particular input device.

A very few models of receivers have what is known as a "tape loop". The NR1501 doesn't have that. Sorry.

Selden
post #183 of 353 Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just as an update, while I really did enjoy this little receiver ... I've decided to move on up to a 5004 so I can deafen myself
post #184 of 353 Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I retested the Sony Playstation 3 and the Sony BDP-N460.
1) Sony BDP-N460: default audio output setting was Auto (which was getting the <1 second audio drop out). I switched to PCM and the audio drop-out was not there.

2) Sony Playstation 3: setting was at LPCM (which was NOT getting the <1 second audio drop out). I switched to bitstream and the <1 second audio drop out WAS there.

So, I guess the issue is with bitstream related. I've updated Marantz regarding my issue and will wait to hear back from them.

Here's the response I got from Marantz:
"My first troubleshooting method would be to make sure both players (BDP-N460 and the PS3) are updated with the latest firmware. If they are, then it's possible that there's some type of processing issue in the pre-amp section of the 1501. At that point, my recommendation would be to have a service technician try to duplicate the problem at their shop using similar source equipment."

I'd rather not have to send my receiver in for another 2 weeks for them to just see if they can duplicate this issue.

Not sure why they aren't able to do this themselves. Long story short, make sure all of your equipment is set to output in PCM and not bitstream.
post #185 of 353 Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, according to Marantz, they aren't able to duplicate the behavior with bitstream.

Though, Selden Bell and I were. Does anyone else have the updated firmware on their receiver and have tested the bitstream and PCM issue?
post #186 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:

Does anyone else have the updated firmware on their receiver and have tested the bitstream and PCM issue?

Count me in!

I have exactly the same issue. My NR1501 spent 4 weeks at Finland's Marantz service and came back with a "this one already has the latest firmware, re-flashed just in case" notice.

Unfortunately re-flashing the firmware didn't have any effect.

My findings so far:

1) PS3 (original 60 GB model) with 3.15 firmware (=latest at this point) connected to NR1501 via HDMI (both video and audio), BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) set as Linear PCM -> audio cut-off and/or an audible "pop" from speakers when

- starting to play the first audio file but not when moving to next audio file after pressing R1 button
- starting to play the first video file and when moving to next video file after pressing R1 button
- starting or quitting a game (e.g. returning to XMB after playing a game) // usually there are two "pops" when quitting a game, may happen due to change in screen resolution (720p->1080p)

Haven't tested with any DVD/BD yet.

Workaround for playing audio file: set output frequency to 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz and set bitmapping to Type 1. Unfortunately this combination prevents using XMB while playing audio and this has no effect when playing a video or starting/quitting a game

2) Slim-PS3 (250 GB model) with the same setup as with 60 GB model, but outputting as Bitstream -> audio cut-off and/or "pop" sound from speakers in the same situations as with the original PS3 model

Using optical digital works just fine with both PS3s but I bought NR1501 so I could enjoy the HD soundtracks in Blu-ray films so using optical digital is not an acceptable solution.

3) Xbox 360 Elite (120 GB model) with latest software version, connected to NR1501 via HDMI -> no problems whatsoever.
post #187 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-2k View Post

Count me in!

I have exactly the same issue. My NR1501 spent 4 weeks at Finland's Marantz service and came back with a "this one already has the latest firmware, re-flashed just in case" notice.

Unfortunately re-flashing the firmware didn't have any effect.

My findings so far:

1) PS3 (original 60 GB model) with 3.15 firmware (=latest at this point) connected to NR1501 via HDMI (both video and audio), BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) set as Linear PCM -> audio cut-off and/or an audible "pop" from speakers when

- starting to play the first audio file but not when moving to next audio file after pressing R1 button
- starting to play the first video file and when moving to next video file after pressing R1 button
- starting or quitting a game (e.g. returning to XMB after playing a game) // usually there are two "pops" when quitting a game, may happen due to change in screen resolution (720p->1080p)

Haven't tested with any DVD/BD yet.

Workaround for playing audio file: set output frequency to 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz and set bitmapping to Type 1. Unfortunately this combination prevents using XMB while playing audio and this has no effect when playing a video or starting/quitting a game

2) Slim-PS3 (250 GB model) with the same setup as with 60 GB model, but outputting as Bitstream -> audio cut-off and/or "pop" sound from speakers in the same situations as with the original PS3 model

Using optical digital works just fine with both PS3s but I bought NR1501 so I could enjoy the HD soundtracks in Blu-ray films so using optical digital is not an acceptable solution.

3) Xbox 360 Elite (120 GB model) with latest software version, connected to NR1501 via HDMI -> no problems whatsoever.

So, you're getting no audio at the start of tracks for Blu-Rays on your PS3 when set to PCM and bitstream?

Could you test it with DVDs as well?

I think the problems that I'm having, is that the DVDs, unlike the Blu-Rays, are not in PCM. So, my Blu-Ray player is sending it to the receiver as bitstream. Blu-Rays generally work fine for me.

On the PS3, I'm forcing PCM, so that is probably why I don't get the same problems on the PS3 that I do on the Blu-Ray player.

I also don't get any "pops" at all.

You may also want to confirm that you have the latest firmware (NOTE: this will reset your settings). Press and hold the left arrow and menu on the receiver (not the remote). The screen should say Factory, and pressing enter on the unit (not the remote) should cycle through some info. You should see "090921-1", which means you have the latest firmware version.
post #188 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:

So, you're getting no audio at the start of tracks for Blu-Rays on your PS3 when set to PCM and bitstream?

Sorry, I meant that I haven't tested yet with any Blu-ray movies at all. Same goes with DVDs. In other words I've tested only with local audio and video files (on PS3's hard drive) and with PS3 games. Will try BD/DVD playback probably later today.

Movie playback (be BD or DVD) shouldn't be a problem because the <1 s audio cut-off and/or "pop" probably will occur right after popping the disc into PS3. So it won't affect the actual movie experience (and under normal circumstances I won't be skipping chapters either).

Quote:

On the PS3, I'm forcing PCM, so that is probably why I don't get the same problems on the PS3 that I do on the Blu-Ray player.

I will try both options with my Slim-PS3 just in case (because it's the one that can do both Bitstream and Linear PCM with BD content too.)

Quote:

You may also want to confirm that you have the latest firmware (NOTE: this will reset your settings).

Well, I trust that the guys at Marantz service knew what they were doing because they had to wait ~3 weeks just to get that friggin' "upgrade module".
post #189 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I think the problems that I'm having, is that the DVDs, unlike the Blu-Rays, are not in PCM. So, my Blu-Ray player is sending it to the receiver as bitstream. Blu-Rays generally work fine for me.

Ok, did some testing with BD (Wall-E with DTS HD-MA soundtrack) and DVD (Superbad with DD5.1 soundtrack). Played both using Bitstream and Linear PCM, and the results were:

- Bitstream = <1 s audio cut-off and a "pop" from speaker when skipping chapters on BD and DVD
- Linear PCM = no audio cut-off but still a "pop" when skipping chapters on BD and DVD

So your theory about bitstreaming being the culprit here seems to be right.

Probably PS3 uses bitstreaming when playing local audio/video files from XMB. If one could change that to Linear PCM then there wouldn't be any problems (except for that weird "pop" sound).

PS. In case someone is wondering how my devices are set up...

PS3 NR1501 Sony 52W5500
X360 NR1501
X360 Sony 52W5500

The speaker set is Orb Audio's Mod1 Plus.

I've also tried X360 with HDMI only but because I like PS3 and X360 having a bit different image settings on my TV so that's why I connected X360 video output directly to TV. :P

Update! After a little bit of investigating I was able to pinpoint the source of the "pop" sound; it comes from main left speaker. But it's not the speaker that is at fault. I changed the cabling to Audio Pro Focus SA-5 speaker and the result was the same. If I completely unplug the left main speaker then there is no popping sound at all. Weird stuff. Any idea what could be causing this?

Update 2! I changed the speaker cable but nothing changed. Next I will check the firmware version (and do a factory reset) on NR1501. Stay tuned!

Update 3! 090921-1 was the firmware number. But the only effect that the factory reset had was that now the "pop" sound comes from all five speakers. GRRRREAT!

Update 4! Reconnected all the speaker cables just in case if some of them was for example touching the body of the receiver. Zero effect. Maybe I'll crack a brew and give up from this day.

Update 5! Pop, pop, pop, pop... It's making me crazy. It's no longer isolated to PS3 but it happens with ALL inputs. For example if I change to DSS input (whatever that is) and press T. Tone button on the remote -> pop. I'll press it again to stop the test tone -> pop. So whenever audio signal is starting and stopping there's a "pop" sound in all five speakers. It's not very loud but clearly audible and VERY annoying.

Update 6! Just for clarification: those pops occur ONLY when audio signal starts/stops, not during the actual playback (be it CD/DVD/BD/mp3/whatever). Maybe DAC is acting weird?
post #190 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked Marantz support to verify that they tested PCM and bitstream on their players for DVD and Blu-Ray, and he was his response:
"That is correct. I have not been able to duplicate the issue you've been experiencing. I've tested both LPCM and bitstream signals using both HDMI and optical connections. The only thing I did not test were the two titles you were using. (Galaxy Quest & Hot Fuzz)."

Granted, the players he listed appear to be Marantz's own brand of DVD/Blu-Ray players.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

He wants me to take the unit in to another Marantz Service Center to have them take a look at the issue again.

I think I'm going to see if I can take the receiver to where I got it from and let me test the unit by plugging it into some of their equipment to verify the issue. Or, if I can find a Marantz service center that can look at it same day.
post #191 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-2k View Post

Update 6! Just for clarification: those pops occur ONLY when audio signal starts/stops, not during the actual playback (be it CD/DVD/BD/mp3/whatever). Maybe DAC is acting weird?

I would contact Marantz support. There may be something wrong with your receiver?
post #192 of 353 Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I would contact Marantz support. There may be something wrong with your receiver?

Will do that first thing in the morning. (It's 0015 here in Finland.)

I'm depressed already when thinking that I'll have to disconnect all those cables and then someday reconnect them. 5.1 speakers and two game consoles are nice when in action but they are a pain in the rearside when one has to connect them to the receiver.

Now I'm off to bed...

Update! Few hours of sleep and the fight continues. This morning I was able to isolate to "pop" issue to digital inputs. It does not happen with analog inputs. And then I found something interesting: if receiver is on a digital input there is a constant "pulse" on the speakers. It's barely audible but it is there. This "pulse" goes away when audio signal is played. But now my theory is that the "pop" sound is actually that same "pulse" but amplified. So when audio signal comes in the last beat of the pulse is amplified and it's heard as a "pop". And when audio signal stops, the first beat of the pulse is still amplified and that leads to a "pop" sound too. I didn't measure the actual frequency of the pulse but my guesstimate is ~60-80 bpm.

Does this make ANY sense?

(This morning there was nothing but front speaker cables and power cable attached to receiver so that pretty much eliminates other sources.)
post #193 of 353 Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Finally got a reply from local Marantz retailer. They said that the unit is "probably defective" and I'll have to send it to Marantz service for investigation. If they are able reproduce the "pops" they will replace the unit for free.

They didn't comment on the Bitstream issue however...
post #194 of 353 Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you just want to watch the spectrum analyzer's dancing lights, you can connect it to the receiver's VCR stereo analog outputs.

Unfortunately the equalizer can't affect all of the receiver's audio sources for this model of receiver.

You can only connect it in-line between one of the stereo analog input devices and the corresponding stereo analog input on the receiver. It will only affect the sound coming from that one particular input device.

A very few models of receivers have what is known as a "tape loop". The NR1501 doesn't have that. Sorry.

Thats the whole point though,i do want to see the dancing lights and my main source is the Comcast cable HDMI,the other would be a PS3 and how about streaming HD content from PC/Mac or Internet how will they be affected,obviously i will go optical out from the Samsung into the Marantz,its actually frustrating is there a Hi end Receiver that can do that,also would we be able to watch 3D content should we have a 3d TV
post #195 of 353 Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

funkyman,

Digital audio inputs are not transcoded into line-level analog signals in any receiver that I'm aware of, except for pre-amp outputs intended to drive external amplifiers. You have to connect stereo analog signals from all of the input devices in order to get a corresponding analog signal at the "tape output" connectors. If you only connect HDMI and digital audio, you won't see anything on the spectrum analyzer's display. (You don't actually have to listen to the analog signals, though. Configure the receiver to send the digital audio to its speaker outputs. The tape output will get the analog signal from the selected input.)

3D video is still just marketing fluff. It requires HDMI v1.4 circuitry. No equipment that is currently available can handle it. Several companies (not yet Marantz, though) are promising equipment later this year which will support HDMI v1.4. As with most first-generation equipment, I suspect they'll all have lots of bugs, though.

Selden
post #196 of 353 Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 PM

HDMI 1.4.So someone who goes to Best Buy and buys a new 3d Samsung will not be able to watch it with his/her 1.3 hdmi cables.The Tv has the ability to turn an ordinary signal into a 3d viewable output.Also ESPN will broadcast in 3d soon does that mean the current HDMI 1.3 cables won`t carry the signal from the Comcast reciever to the TV.
So what would your final suggestion for the Equalizer set up.
post #197 of 353 Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Liked: 52
The only change for HDMI 1.4 cables is the ethernet line. It was an extra line they decided to use. It shouldn't be an issue for 3D. The ethernet line lets components share the internet or local network as long as there is one device connected to the internet all devices with HDMI 1.4 will be able to use it. This saves running a cat5/6 wire to your TV, receiver, DVD player, game machines etc. If they are all connected HDMI they will all be able to access the network if capable. Some cables might be 1.4 compliant already as many have the ethernet line properly run in them already. They just have to get re-certified

For 3D HDMI 1.3 cables will be fine but you will need a 3d capable TV, blu-ray player and possibly a new receiver.

Bob
post #198 of 353 Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Well, Marantz service was not able to reproduce the "pops" but admitted that Bitstream issue is a "feature" and cannot be remedied.

In the end it was decided that no more NR1501 for me. It's a shame because otherwise it was really "the little engine that could". The retailer offered me a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K in exchange. (Ok, I had to pay 120 euros because Pioneer's original price was ~900 e and Marantz was "only" 599 e.)
post #199 of 353 Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 AM

Can i plug the equalizer into this receiver somewhere thanx.Much help would be appreciated.
LL
LL
post #200 of 353 Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Just as with the Marantz NR1501, the equalizer would have to go in between one of the input devices and a stereo input and would only work for that one device.

Essentially you are trying to use previous generation technology (an external equalizer) with modern entry-level AVRs which are not designed for it. Modern mid-to-high end AVRs include builtin equalization firmware in their DSPs which is applied to all inputs.

Selden
post #201 of 353 Old 03-30-2010, 03:38 AM

Alright but the EQ really looks cool easthetically and in appearance wise.I like to blue LED combo that matches the Denon blue lights.
post #202 of 353 Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're primarily interested in the the spectrum analyzer display, you can connect it to any analog stereo output of any AVR (or pre/pro). E.g. the audio outputs labelled "tape" or "VCR" on most AVRs. The "zone 2" output of the Denon should work. Unfortunately, I don't know of any AVRs which translate digital audio to constant-gain line-level analog audio, so you still need to connect the stereo analog red/white outputs of your source devices to the AVR.

p.s. note that the Denon S-5BD has even less output power available than the Marantz SR1501: it has only a 125W power supply.

Selden
post #203 of 353 Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM

Hi All,

Just putting together a 3.1 setup with speakers and sub already in my possession:
PSB Image B15
PSB Image C40
PSB Subsonic 5i
I am looking at using this receiver for this setup now, and a 7.1 in the future. So here's the question - is there any way to know before buying that the firmware issue has been fixed or do you have to buy it and find out after? and - is there any problem with only giving this receiver only a couple inches of clearance? Thanks for the help.

Mailman
post #204 of 353 Old 03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect that receivers manufactured after a certain date will have the updated firmware. Your dealer *might* be able to persuade Marantz to reveal the serial number when the firmware changed. (The serial number is on the outside of the carton.) Accent on the "might".

Without knowing that, the only way to be sure would be to have your dealer power it up and go into the service menu to find out. Many local dealers will be glad to do this for you -- if you're sure you want to buy it. (E.g. you pay for it, they send it to the repair center to be updated if necessary, they provide a loaner while you wait.) I very much doubt that an internet dealer would be willing to do that for you, though.

Selden
post #205 of 353 Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 AM

I heard the receiver at a Magnolia and it seems to be pretty powerful for it's size but reading some of the posts have me a bit concerned.

Bedroom is ~ 20 x 18 with 9 ft ceilings.

I like to drive a 5.1 in ceiling speaker system made the Sonance. The speakers are 8 ohms. I will also connect a powered subwoofer with it's own juice. This one:

http://www.sonance.com/products/speakers/detail/244

Will connect a LG blue ray player to it (the new 550) and a 4 year old Hitachi Directors series 55 inch plasma 55HDX62 and a comcast HD/DVR to it.

What do you guys think? Will I be better off with a less musical but more powerful receiver from sony, onkyo, pioneer, or yamaha for my ~$450?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated
Ed
post #206 of 353 Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

For that large a room, the speakers have to be very efficient. You'll have to listen to the volume levels to find out if the NR1501 has enough power. You may need to consider something like the SR5003.

Selden
post #207 of 353 Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will test it out. I don;t need earth shattering sound in the bedroom since I have a larger system in the Family room connected to a Pioneer Elite 92 which has plenty of power. But I want to take full advantage of Blueray and the 5.1 speakers that are already in the bedroom...

Also I was just reading about the POD (pop of death?) on the SR-5004/6004 forum... Has anyone experienced this with the NR-1501??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

For that large a room, the speakers have to be very efficient. You'll have to listen to the volume levels to find out if the NR1501 has enough power. You may need to consider something like the SR5003.

post #208 of 353 Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed94080 View Post

Also I was just reading about the POD (pop of death?) on the SR-5004/6004 forum... Has anyone experienced this with the NR-1501??

I have never heard NR1501 POD. I'm happy also with my unit, so if you don't have to full a stadium with a "noice", go ahead. It is a nice piece of receiver
post #209 of 353 Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

No PoD here, either, and I'm using 4ohm speakers for fronts.

Selden
post #210 of 353 Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't wish to debate whether Bose speakers are great or all hype. Fact of the matter is that I will be getting Bose AM10's today (it's sort of a long and funny story, but I won't go into it here). In any case, I may be looking into getting a new receiver. I have an Onkyo TX-SR606, where the hdmi stuff is failing on me, and I probably won't be getting it to a dealer (lost the receipt and warranty is almost up anyways, plus I don't wish to be out of a receiver for two weeks or whatever). Looking at various receivers I stumbled on this "slim" avr. It looks pretty good except the 50W rating seems a bit low. I've noticed a few reviews of the bose speakers claiming that you need the wattage to make them sound decent, and 50W seems half of what is recommended.

Anyone have an experience using the Marantz nr1501 with bose AM10's? (I noticed the first message in this thread someone was using some "bose cubes" but they didn't explain which line of speakers they were using).

Thanks,
Keith Weatherby II
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page