AVS Forum banner

Official marantz nr1501 slim receiver owners' thread

183K views 413 replies 150 participants last post by  DrewL 
#1 ·
Mine is arriving this afternoon and will set it up and begin to post impressions.

See less See more
#152 ·
That's the sound of relays switching between different sets of circuits.

Mechanical relays provide much better signal isolation than do solid state switches. Marantz has always used relays to isolate some types of decoding circuts. They're louder in some receivers than in others.

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18135085

I dunno

Presumably it'd be available in service mode.

I dunno which combination of buttons would put the receiver into that state, though.

Are you noticing any kind of skip at all when you advance chapters?

For instance, I was testing Galaxy Quest and kept skipping to the scene where they are first attacked.

There's a small audio drop-out/skip whenever I do this, but I do not see it when I have the DVD played through a DVD player with analog cables through the TV and into the receiver (using TOSLINK).

Perhaps the firmware did work, and it's an issue with the blu-ray player? I will have to plug in my old DVD player with HDMI and see if that could be an issue too.

#154 ·
Well, I have experimented with the BD player's settings and still can't get the Marantz to output surround sound at a decent sound level.

It doesn't have a problem outputting multi-channel stereo when I watch Freesat, but none of the surround settings seem to improve things when I try to watch a dvd, just noticeably muted audio. I am almost tempted to try analog connections and see if that improves things.

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incertus /forum/post/18153691

Well, I have experimented with the BD player's settings and still can't get the Marantz to output surround sound at a decent sound level.

Agreed. This is my only issue with the NR1501.

In my room, I have to set the volume between 60-70 to get a decent amount of sound out of the unit.

Mike

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrcr /forum/post/18156773

Agreed. This is my only issue with the NR1501.

In my room, I have to set the volume between 60-70 to get a decent amount of sound out of the unit.

Mike

How big is your room?

For TV, I have my volume from 30-35 range. Movies around 35-40. And games around 28-30.

And my wife complains that it's too loud sometimes.

The size of my family room (my earlier estimates were way off) is about 15x15.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18155781

Incertus,

What discs are you watching?

Are you sure it isn't that particular title?

Surround and LFE channels often have very little content.

So far, the only BD has been Goodfellas - I've tried to watch sundry DVDs such as the Matrix Trilogy.

Whenever the amp selects Dolby sound, there's a drop-off in sound levels. The same thing happens with the BBC's HD channel. It's annoying - almost enough to make me think about getting another amp.

#159 ·
Unfortunately, low sound levels indicate that the 1501 is not the right receiver for your speakers and room size. Since it has only 50W per channel, it needs to be used with efficient speakers and/or in a small room

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18153479

Are you noticing any kind of skip at all when you advance chapters?

For instance, I was testing Galaxy Quest and kept skipping to the scene where they are first attacked.

There's a small audio drop-out/skip whenever I do this, but I do not see it when I have the DVD played through a DVD player with analog cables through the TV and into the receiver (using TOSLINK).

Perhaps the firmware did work, and it's an issue with the blu-ray player? I will have to plug in my old DVD player with HDMI and see if that could be an issue too.

I think your BD player may need a firmware update.

I did a quick test of the GalaxyQuest DVD this morning. ("Never give up! Never surrender!") I used the "skip to next chapter" (>>|) button on the BD player's remote to advance through several chapters of the movie. Both video and audio started at exactly the same correct time for all of the chapters that I tested, with no dropouts.

I didn't take the time to try to find the chapter you describe. Do you recall exactly where it is on the disc? (Chapter # or time)

Hardware:

Blu-ray player: Pioneer BDP-120

Receiver: Marantz NR1501

TV: Vizio VX240M

The player is connected to the receiver using HDMI.

The receiver is connected to the TV using HDMI.

(The player is not connected to the TV)

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18158596

How big is your room?

For TV, I have my volume from 30-35 range. Movies around 35-40. And games around 28-30.

And my wife complains that it's too loud sometimes.

The size of my family room (my earlier estimates were way off) is about 15x15.

My room is 20x30 with vaulted ceilings and I'm using small but musically robust Silverline Prelude speakers (sensitivity level of 91 db). I was concerned about the volume levels before I purchased the unit and unforunately it materialized when I watched my first movie.

I didn't/don't have any volume issues with my SR8001 with 125 watts per channel.

Mike

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18159070

Unfortunately, low sound levels indicate that the 1501 is not the right receiver for your speakers and room size. Since it has only 50W per channel, it needs to be used with efficient speakers and/or in a small room

In my case I fear the same. However, I really enjoy this unit....especially its function and setup features. I like it much more than my SR8001 and my previous NAD pre pro.

As long as it does not hurt the unit to run it at near max volume when I'm watching films, I want to keep it.

Mike

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18160951

I think your BD player may need a firmware update.

I did a quick test of the GalaxyQuest DVD this morning. ("Never give up! Never surrender!") I used the "skip to next chapter" (>>|) button on the BD player's remote to advance through several chapters of the movie. Both video and audio started at exactly the same correct time for all of the chapters that I tested, with no dropouts.

I didn't take the time to try to find the chapter you describe. Do you recall exactly where it is on the disc? (Chapter # or time)

Hardware:

Blu-ray player: Pioneer BDP-120

Receiver: Marantz NR1501

TV: Vizio VX240M

The player is connected to the receiver using HDMI.

The receiver is connected to the TV using HDMI.

(The player is not connected to the TV)

The chapter is, I believe, chapter 6 (icon should be when you see a missile hit the ship...I use this scene to test my bass settings).

I'm going to have to test it again with my LG DVD player with HDMI. It may be the Blu-Ray player and not the receiver. I tested it on my crappy Cobby DVD player (plugged into my TV via composite cables, which is outputted by TOSLINK to the receiver) and I did not get the same audio drop out.

I'll have to test it with a CD and do a more thorough test with Rock Band this weekend.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrcr /forum/post/18163172

In my case I fear the same. However, I really enjoy this unit....especially its function and setup features. I like it much more than my SR8001 and my previous NAD pre pro.

As long as it does not hurt the unit to run it at near max volume when I'm watching films, I want to keep it.

Mike

I'd be more worried about high volume settings damaging the speakers than damaging the receiver. The receiver should just go into protect mode. If the receiver is clipping, however, more energy is put into higher frequencies, which have been known to burn out tweeters.

FWIW, it does seem that speaker-level amplifiers are readily available in the automotive market. I haven't investigated them, though, since I have a small room.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18174316

I'd be more worried about high volume settings damaging the speakers than damaging the receiver. The receiver should just go into protect mode. If the receiver is clipping, however, more energy is put into higher frequencies, which have been known to burn out tweeters.

FWIW, it does seem that speaker-level amplifiers are readily available in the automotive market. I haven't investigated them, though, since I have a small room.

Good point.

Even though I'm pushing the NR1501 my ears have been unable to pickup much distortion or clipping.

Mike

#167 ·
Okay, my LG player finally started to crap out on me (cannot output audio via HDMI anymore).

I borrowed another player from my parents and tested the HDMI problem, and am observing the same lack of audio when advancing the chapter on a DVD.

I've also updated the firmware on my Blu-Ray player.

Here's what I've tested and the results:

1) DVD: on the DVD and Blu-Ray players connected via HDMI, I still notice an audio drop-out at the start of a chapter when I press the chapter skip button. This is still present even after the firmware update. If I use the the DVD player in a player connected via composite cables to the TV, which outputs audio to the receiver via TOSLINK, I do not get this audio drop-out at the start of chapters when I press the skip button.

2) CD: I no longer get the audio drop-out when skipping tracks. Firmware fixed this.

3) Blu-Ray: I never had a problem with audio drop-outs when skipping tracks.

It appears that there is still a problem with DVDs and the NR1501 with digital audio (particularly with HDMI).

#168 ·
(Un)fortunately, it works fine for me: I no longer get any dropouts, although I haven't had a chance to explicitly test chapter 6 of GQ.

It really would be nice if someone could find out what buttons to push to find the firmware revision number: we may not have the same update. I simply don't have the patience to try all the possible button combinations.

#169 ·
To check the firmware number, you must be in Factory Mode (note: this will reset you settings).

Here's how to check:

1) on the unit (not the remote), press the Left Arrow and Menu button for approximately 5 seconds.

2) Keep pressing the Enter button to cycle through the information on the receivers display. The firmware version is "090921-1".

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18189237

To check the firmware number, you must be in Factory Mode (note: this will reset you settings).

That's annoying.

Quote:
Here's how to check:

1) on the unit (not the remote), press the Left Arrow and Menu button for approximately 5 seconds.

2) Keep pressing the Enter button to cycle through the information on the receivers display. The firmware version is "090921-1".

Thanks!

I'll try to find out tonight what version I have.

#171 ·
My NR1501 also is at firmware rev 090921-1

I think I found why I see so few dropouts: I have the BD player configured to convert all audio formats to LPCM.

With LPCM, I get an audio dropout at the beginning of a chapter only if I use the on-disc menu to go to a chapter. The audio does not dropout if I use the "go to next chapter" button on the remote (>>|).

When I configure the player to bitstream audio, however, I do get audio dropouts over HDMI when skipping to the next chapter. I suspect that this is because the player and receiver have to renegotiate their handshakes in that situation.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18196183

My NR1501 also is at firmware rev 090921-1

I think I found why I see so few dropouts: I have the BD player configured to convert all audio formats to LPCM.

With LPCM, I get an audio dropout at the beginning of a chapter only if I use the on-disc menu to go to a chapter. The audio does not dropout if I use the "go to next chapter" button on the remote (>>|).

When I configure the player to bitstream audio, however, I do get audio dropouts over HDMI when skipping to the next chapter. I suspect that this is because the player and receiver have to renegotiate their handshakes in that situation.

Thanks for running that test.

Do you experience this issue with a TOSLINK cable?

I went back and retested everything (except the DVD player, as I was borrowing it...I will test the player again when I get the chance and update the results) and used another player to test again.

Here are my results:

1) Sony BDP-N460

a) HDMI: I still experience the >1 second audio drop out when skipping chapters only on DVDs.

b) TOSLINK: I do NOT get the >1 second audio drop out when skipping chapters on DVDs.

2) LG DVD recorder/VHS combo player

a) HDMI: I experienced the >1 second audio drop out when skipping chapters on DVDs.

3) Coby compact DVD player

a) composite cable to TV, TOSLINK from TV to NR1501: I do NOT get the >1 second audio drop out when skipping chapters on a DVD.

4) Sony Playstation 3

a) HDMI: I do NOT get the >1 second audio drop out when skipping chapters on a DVD.

I don't know what's different about the Playstation 3, but the previous 2 devices from 2 different manufacturers that I tested were having an identical problem.

I believe I left my Blu-Ray player's audio decoding at default, which I think is Auto.

#173 ·
">1 second" means to me that you are having dropouts longer than 1 second. Is that right? Mine have all been less than that. A long dropout suggests to me that it's an HDMI handshake issue of some kind, which takes longer with some combinations of equipment than with others. The PS3 might be maintaining the HDMI data stream so that no handshaking is needed.

I dunno what "auto" means for audio. For video, I think it usually means "upscale to match the resolution of the display" but different manufacturers find different ways to confuse the issue.

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18199354

">1 second" means to me that you are having dropouts longer than 1 second. Is that right? Mine have all been less than that. A long dropout suggests to me that it's an HDMI handshake issue of some kind, which takes longer with some combinations of equipment than with others. The PS3 might be maintaining the HDMI data stream so that no handshaking is needed.

I dunno what "auto" means for audio. For video, I think it usually means "upscale to match the resolution of the display" but different manufacturers find different ways to confuse the issue.

Sorry, that should be

#176 ·
Hey all ...

I'm enjoying my 1501 overall, however ... it seems to be 'randomly' shutting down. By random, I mean when a scene occurs that has audio really pushing it.

I'm using some Mirage speakers, which are known to be a relatively hard to push. Am I asking too much out of this receiver, or is there something wrong with my unit? I'm fine with moving up to a higher end model if need be, I'm just trying to find out if this is something common to the the 1501, or a specific issue with my unit? Has anyone had theirs' shut down when being pushed to hard (everything shuts down, but there's a red flashing light)?

BTW - ventilation is definitely not an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.