Receiver Dilemma - Onkyo, Yamaha, Klipsch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there...

AVS Forum has always been there for me when I needed info. for customer questions, etc. Now, 5 Years later I'm the one with the questions. I'd like to thank everyone beforehand for participating in my dilemma here....

At the stroke of the wrist this upcoming weekend, I'll be the owner of a new sound system however, I'm stumped on one choice. The Receiver!

BTW! This is a budget minded system..

I had my heart set on the Onkyo TX-SR 706, thanks to everyone's reviews here, and the 5 star ratings oh and functionality too!

Than I stepped into the the store that will be selling all this equipment to me, and no Onkyo's in sight!

The receiver they suggested, and I could get a smokin' deal on if I buy the whole package, would be the Yamaha RXV765 Black!

I have tried to do my research through this forum, as well as through search engines and I do not see too many reviews or comments about this receiver.

This is where I would like your professional opinions please..

The system:

Klipsch RF-62 Fronts
Klipsch RC-52 Center
Klipsch RS-52 Rears
Klipsch RW-10d Sub

The Components:

Plasma
Satellite Receiver
Nintendo Wii
X-Box OR PlayStation 3
Blue Ray Player

Basically, I'm just looking for someone who knows what's going on to tell me, if I'll be losing out by buying one or the other, differences between the two in a language I can understand, etc.

Thank you,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 PM

The Onkyo 706 is an "older" model. It has S-video inputs, where the newer Yamaha 765 does NOT (it seems that other manufacturers are also dropping the S-video inputs on their newer models - at least the entry to mid-level models). The Yamaha does seem to have a respectable amount of features, but the best way to determine if it will meet your needs is to audition it at the store and then download the owner's guide to review carefully. Based on your speakers, you shouldn't have any problem driving them with the Yamaha.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM

I'm also interested in this receiver and also a newbie. I've been reading up on models and was following the pricing on the Onkyo TX-SR607 waiting for my pricepoint. I see on the 6th Ave name your own price thread that someone posted a price for the RXV765 which is slightly less than the TX-SR607 so I checked the specs for this model and it has now come onto my radar as a possible choice. Still looking for reviews and more info though. It has 1 less HDMI input but has more power, IPOD dock is less expensive. Need to look at all the other features side by side to make a better comparison.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I went to another store yesterday, and asked the guy there about the two and once again it was tough, because they were another Klipsch/Yamaha dealer. He did take the time to look up the specs. for me and all I got out of him was the Onkyo has the THX certification and the Yamaha does not, the Onkyo had 5 watts more per channel as well. He also mentioned the 706 being an older model as well and the newer version is the Onkyo TX-SR 707, which is a good chunk of change more.

So pretty much no help at all... However, now I'm looking into the more expensive 707 model. My wife hates this.. Apparently I over analyze everything, and we never end up with anything.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM

If you're interested, the Onkyo 706 is still available factory refurbished at great prices from ShopOnkyo and Accessories4Less.

I'm currently loving my 706. I'm not sure how it compares directly to the Yamaha 765's YPAO, but I know that the Audyssey MultEQ room correction on the 706 did wonders for my subwoofer response.

Really? "Subwoofer" isn't in the AVSForum spell checker?

post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikencali831 View Post

My wife hates this.. Apparently I over analyze everything, and we never end up with anything.

Your mistake is letting her know what you're doing!

"never end up with anything?" I'm guessing she's exaggerating. Unfortunately I have similar problems, the good part is I'm always right!
The better part is she's started to notice. So give in on a few small ticket items and let he make the snap decisions she's unhappy with later, so she gives you some leeway on the bigger tickets...
And don't tell her until you're ready to pull the trigger...

-Greg
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page