The Official Integra DHC-80.1 Pre/Pro - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 1873 Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblebum View Post

I would assume most already have a Bluray player. Maybe if they discount them 25-40% they would clear them out in a hurry

HA! wishful thinking lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1873 Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

HA! wishful thinking lol

FWIW an Integra dealer here in Canada just told me they have significant price reductions on the 9.9 right now because of manufacturer incentives.
post #33 of 1873 Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

FWIW an Integra dealer here in Canada just told me they have significant price reductions on the 9.9 right now because of manufacturer incentives.

Great holiday season, they are selling at sub-1k now. Still, with the numberous HDMI devices, ie HTPC, Sat, Vudu, Cable, BD, recorder, and the high speed ethernet playback of Pandora and others, the 9.9 is not worth it right now.
post #34 of 1873 Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I would. What I would not assume is that it applies to each sub channel independently.

It would be nice to get clarification from Audyssey or Integra/Onkyo on this issue.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #35 of 1873 Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

The things that are attracting me to this years Integra receivers and preamps is the fact it has 2 count them 2 sub outs. Thats badass as now you can calibrate 2 subs independently from each other like the Pioneer ELite sc-09tx can. I find this to be extremely useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I wouldn't assume Audyssey processing applies to both sub channels.

Get confirmation before you buy if it's an important feature for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I would. What I would not assume is that it applies to each sub channel independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

It would be nice to get clarification from Audyssey or Integra/Onkyo on this issue.

Hi,

Here's a posting that bears on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Audyssey MultEQ always takes into account each subwoofer individually if the manufacturer provides that to us. Unfortunately most don't and it doesn't seem that this will be changing for most upcoming models. This is one of the reasons we developed the external subwoofer processors (the SVS AS-EQ1 and the Audyssey Sub Equalizer). With these you can get MultEQ XT for your two subs (with individual time delay and level correction) even if your receiver doesn't provide that capability.

There seems to be little doubt that if a device is Audyssey MultEQ enabled and has two subwoofer outputs that Audyssey will calculate the timing and levels independently.

EDIT:
Contrary to what I posted earlier, in a recent posting on the Official Audyssey thread, Audyssey confirmed that the 80.1 will individually set separate filters for each subwoofer.

The Audyssey Sub Equalizer and the SVS AS-EQ1 provide the option of independent filters or a combined filter. Audyssey's research suggests that the combined filters usually results in a smoother response and therefore their Sub Equalizer defaults into that setting.

Refer to the following relevant postings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

I already own a Sound Equalizer. It's a terrific product.

What I'm asking is (1) whether the Subwoofer Equalizer does a materially better job equalizing two subs than a Sound Equalizer does, given that the latter sees the two subs as "one speaker", and, (2) can the Subwoofer Equalizer be added downstream of the Sound Equalizer, just as it is with normal Audyssey AVRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

What the Subwoofer Equalizer/AS-EQ1 brings to the game is adjusting the individual distances/delays for two separate subs. After that, the sub channel is corrected as one. The processing power (and resulting filters) are the same for both the sub channel in the SEQ and the Sub Equalizer.

Yes, it can be added downstream. Materially different? Materially? Perhaps if the sub distances are "materially" different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Jeff,

Are you sure about the highlighted statement? I thought that each subwoofer would get a separate equalization consistant with it's location in the room.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Hi Larry,

That is an option you have in our software. You can treat each sub separately with an individual filter and then listen to them together. However, in our experiments we found that much better results are obtained if you first time and level align the subs and then ping them as "one" to create a single filter for the sum. So that configuration is the default setting in the software.

Larry
post #36 of 1873 Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Señor Member

Good info, thanks Larry.

If the new Integra sets the time (phase) and level separately for each sub channel and then EQ's the summed output that is essentially what I am looking for. In that case, it makes sense for me to buy the Integra rather than the SubEQ.

Opinions are not facts.
post #37 of 1873 Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good info, thanks Larry.

If the new Integra sets the time (phase) and level separately for each sub channel and then EQ's the summed output that is essentially what I am looking for. In that case, it makes sense for me to buy the Integra rather than the SubEQ.

Hi,

Of course the Sub Equalizer, having the entire DSP chip available for Audyssey processing, has twice the resolution of the Integra.

Larry
post #38 of 1873 Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Of course the Sub Equalizer, having the entire DSP chip available for Audyssey processing, has twice the resolution of the Integra.

Larry

Thanks again for researching this. Since I have the Pro Kit, processing resolution on individual channels should not be an issue.

It would be nice to get confirmation from either Audyssey or Integra on the specifics of how Audyssey will deal with the multiple sub outs of the new DHC 80.1 processor. All we have so far is speculation.

Opinions are not facts.
post #39 of 1873 Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again for researching this. Since I have the Pro Kit, processing resolution on individual channels should not be an issue.

It would be nice to get confirmation from either Audyssey or Integra on the specifics of how Audyssey will deal with the multiple sub outs of the new DHC 80.1 processor. All we have so far is speculation.

Hi,

You are quite welcome.

Having the Pro kit adds some processing refinements, but it doesn't remove the DSP limitations of the consumer device, that remains the same.

The fact that you already have the Pro kit is useful because it will permit you to use the Sub Equalizer if you elect to buy one. As I mentioned the Sub Equalizer will double the resolution of the filters on the subwoofer channels over the consumer devices, including this new Integra.

I thought that Chris' response, which I quoted in an earlier posting, was pretty much a confirmation. I see that you reposted this question in the Official Audyssey thread. If you still think you haven't receive a definitive response, I suggest that you direct Chris' attention to that unanswered question.

Larry
post #40 of 1873 Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

wow

i go away for 8 months and they come out with three versions in that time...

man, is Paul S. Otellini (CEO of Intel) or Dirk Meyer (CEO of AMD) running Integra???

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #41 of 1873 Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

They havr released the 80.1 receiver's and pre-pro's as of 11/3/09
post #42 of 1873 Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Well that is great news!!!!

Thanks Alan.
post #43 of 1873 Old 11-03-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

They havr released the 80.1 receiver's and pre-pro's as of 11/3/09

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the information, but it would be helpful if Integra posted the the 80.1 on their website if they want to generate sales.

Larry
post #44 of 1873 Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

yes !

Now, who has it ?
post #45 of 1873 Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's great that the DHC-80.1 has some upgraded features but more importantly to me is I am wondering if they have done anything to improve the overall sound quality of the unit including both the analog and the digital. I talked to a guy who did an A/B comparison side by side for one full week between his DTC-9.8 and his newly purchased Marantz AV8003 and he reported that the Marantz was MUCH better across the board in sound quality. This same person said once he purchased some higher end speakers than what he previously was using he noticed a "graininess" in the DTC-9.8 that with his lesser speakers you couldn't even hear. Features are killer but I am thinking that if you have to give up some features or some user friendliness that in the end the SQ is what is more important. I am hoping they have made some improvements in overall SQ as this along with the ease and feature set would be a no brainer for me!
post #46 of 1873 Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

... I talked to a guy who did an A/B comparison side by side for one full week between his DTC-9.8 and his newly purchased Marantz AV8003 and he reported that the Marantz was MUCH better across the board in sound quality ...

Good question.

Do you know any specifics of that comparison; e.g., was he using analog source inputs or HDMI, listening in MC or stereo, using Audyssey?

Thanks
Bruce
post #47 of 1873 Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

I talked to a guy who did an A/B comparison side by side for one full week between his DTC-9.8 and his newly purchased Marantz AV8003 and he reported that the Marantz was MUCH better across the board in sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Good question.

Do you know any specifics of that comparison; e.g., was he using analog source inputs or HDMI, listening in MC or stereo, using Audyssey?

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Good points. Were the devices level matched, was it a blind A/B test, etc.?

It is very difficult to perform a sighted A/B test without injecting bias into the subjective listening tests.

One thing we know for sure the Integra didn't have Dynamic EQ factored into the equation.

Larry
post #48 of 1873 Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I may be ditching my NAD T175HD for the 80.1 depending on sq of new unit. The M15HD is promising to best the best of these 3 (costs 2x as much!), but not going to beta test for NAD any longer...if they get that polished & no bugs then maybe in a year or so, but looking like 80.1 for now. Any tips from Integra owners...chime in.
post #49 of 1873 Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Good question.

Thanks
Bruce

Hey Bruce, I asked the same questions and am waiting for a response although I beleive it was through HDMI but need to confirm.
post #50 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello All,

I've been mostly a lurker on this thread but decided it was time to jump in. I just put a deposit on the DHC 80.1 and my local dealer expects it to arrive Saturday at the earliest or sometime next week. By coincidence the Integra rep happened to be in his shop. I asked if we could search his car for an 80.1, but no luck

Current system
Audio
Preamp - Outlaw 990, Amp - Sherbourn 5/1500A (5 x 200 watt/ch)
Front Speakers - PSB synchrony 2, Center - Synchrony One C, Rears - PSB Image S50
Sub - Velodyne DD-10

Video
TV -Panasonic 50 plasma,
Projector - Pioneer Elite Pro-FPJ1 (1080p)/ Elite screen 100
Panasonic blu-ray player
DVD OPPO 980H
post #51 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM

We are an Integra dealer in Winnipeg, Canada and have had the DHC-80.1 for awhile now. I haven't done an Audyssey Pro calibration yet but there is one annoying thing that did not happen on previous models - whenever there is a discontinuity in the signal - ie. skipping to the next chapter, or dropouts on the cable box signal, channel change etc. - there is a noisy relay click and the sound is interrupted. Any ideas?
post #52 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhifi View Post

We are an Integra dealer in Winnipeg, Canada and have had the DHC-80.1 for awhile now. I haven't done an Audyssey Pro calibration yet but there is one annoying thing that did not happen on previous models - whenever there is a discontinuity in the signal - ie. skipping to the next chapter, or dropouts on the cable box signal, channel change etc. - there is a noisy relay click and the sound is interrupted. Any ideas?

That would be very annoying. Have you tried asking Integra customer service about this? And did the 9.9 have this issue?
post #53 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how 'long' is long?
what is the name of your storefront?
alan
post #54 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

how 'long' is long?
what is the name of your storefront?
alan

excuse me... how long is 'awhile' ?
post #55 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Señor Member

I had skipped over the DHC 9.9 but placed an order for the DHC 80.1 this afternoon and should have the unit mid next week. I decided to "upgrade” from my reliable and great sounding DTC 9.8 because of the 80.1's 9.2 capabilities (I have quad subs collocated in two pairs) and I want to experiment with Audyssey DSX and Dynamic EQ.

Opinions are not facts.
post #56 of 1873 Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had the same experience with my Meridian 861-good thing I had a distant equipment closet. If this piece has a significantly audible relay noise, the market will shrink quickly, IMHO.

Thank you very much

Fury
post #57 of 1873 Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

I had the same issue with audible clicking with my Onkyo 805 receiver. This can be solved by assigning a default surround mode to each input.
I just placed an order for the DHC-80.1. It will be my first surround processor since my Lexicon DC1! It seems to fit the bill for all of my requirements: XLR outputs, firmware updates via ethernet, room correction, latest variations on the codecs, video processing. Each of the other more expensive contenders did not meet these requirements in one way or another (Anthem requires windows computer for ARC, Classe does not have room correction or video processing, Bryston will likely not have room correction) except for the Denon, but could not justify the price difference on the Denon. I also don't want to end up with an overpriced boat anchor, like the Theta Casablanca or Lexicon MC12. Performance with analog sources is not a factor for me, as I have a BAT VK-52SE preamp for my CD player and analog front-end. I will report impressions once I have spent some time with the unit.
post #58 of 1873 Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

If this piece has a significantly audible relay noise, the market will shrink quickly, IMHO.

No kidding. NAD made the same mistake with the T175; they say that has been fixed with the new M15HD but I'm not willing to fork out $4500 to find out.

So from what we know both the 9.9 & 80.1 use mechanical relays? That a big NO SALE for me.
post #59 of 1873 Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

So from what we know both the 9.9 & 80.1 use mechanical relays? That a big NO SALE for me.

I have the 886 which is basically a 9.9 and I hear no relay clicking with audio mode changes. The problem with earlier Onkyo/Integras several years ago was an audio delay when there was a audio format change (digital to analog with cable or SAT) which was very annoying. But eventually there was a DSP and FW update that took care of it.

If the 80.1/5507 prepros have audible relay clicking with audio format changes then that would be a no sale for me as well. I demoed the Cambridge Audio 840A about a year ago and the volume control was relay based so everytime you changed the volume you could hear it clicking. Needless to say I passed on the 840A.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #60 of 1873 Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkenator2 View Post

Performance with analog sources is not a factor for me, as I have a BAT VK-52SE preamp for my CD player and analog front-end. I will report impressions once I have spent some time with the unit.

Me too. Nice setup. I have a Cary SLP 2002 preamp for my 2 channel side; a less expensive option than the BAT but a very nice preamp in my system. I haven't tried BAT yet (just because the used market brought up the Cary first) but I have always been very interested in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

That a big NO SALE for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If the 80.1/5507 prepros have audible relay clicking with audio format changes then that would be a no sale for me as well.Bill

I agree this may be a problem but let's not rush to any conclusions yet. There is a single post on this issue so far. I think we have to see what people say as the unit rolls out in volume.

Worst case, at least it seems Integra follows up on firmware updates. If the unit isn't perfect they appear better than other manufacturer's that leave things high and dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page