post #91 of 1862 Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have all my inputs setup with defaults for all formats. I thought most did this when setting up their 9.8, 9.9, 885 or 886. If you have not done this as part of the setup then give it a try. If it stops the clicking that would be excellent and a very simple fix.

Bill

Well...does it stop the clicking?? I don't have Integra, own NAD T175HD; looking at 80.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

Well...does it stop the clicking?? I don't have Integra, own NAD T175HD; looking at 80.1.

Well.......that I am not sure of as I do not have the relay clicking problem. Hopefully Influence and others that do have this issue will try it with their units.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #93 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I setup the 80.1 last night, ran an 8 position Audyssey and played some movie demos. It sounds fantastic and the simultaneous active HDMI Outs are perfect for my dual display (Plasma/Front Projection) setup. Audyssey Dynamic EQ will be fun to experiment with as the bass is more noticeable (in a good way) at lower overall MV and yet stays natural and in sync as the volume increases. I also plan on experimenting with the height channels in a 9.2 configuration and may do something with Internet Radio or Sirius.

My unit is in a separate equipment closet so the relay clicking issue is not noticeable but I did confirm it is happening when changing channels on the cable DVR box. If you had the unit near the LP and not in a cabinet or enclosed in some way, I suppose it might be bothersome to a certain personality type (anal retentive). Again, this is a non-issue for me.

For my use the 80.1 seems like the perfect device and it should serve me for a good long while.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #94 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks RMK! would also like a review on the heights when you get them. i have no room for wides, so heights will be the only addition i can make to my 7.2 system.. Do you get any of the audio drop outs mentioned by users of the new 007 Onkyo receivers?
post #95 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=RMK!;17513800]

Quote:

My unit is in a separate equipment closet so the relay clicking issue is not noticeable but I did confirm it is happening when changing channels on the cable DVR box.

RMK,

Did you setup the audio defaults for each input? Just curious to know if that will help with the relay clicking.

Quote:

If you had the unit near the LP and not in a cabinet or enclosed in some way, I suppose it might be bothersome to a certain personality type (anal retentive).

I would be guilty of all of the above. Only options are a closed cabinent or therapy. The Standout A/V units look very nice.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #96 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

Thanks RMK! would also like a review on the heights when you get them. i have no room for wides, so heights will be the only addition i can make to my 7.2 system.. Do you get any of the audio drop outs mentioned by users of the new 007 Onkyo receivers?

I have the same situation re heights/wides.

Too early to make any specific comments but overall behavior seems like the DTC 9.8 it replaced.

[quote=Bill Mac;17514340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

RMK,

Did you setup the audio defaults for each input? Just curious to know if that will help with the relay clicking.

I would be guilty of all of the above. Only options are a closed cabinent or therapy. The Standout A/V units look very nice.

Bill

I did look at the Input Audio select screen and there were defaults for each input. I did not change any of those (yet) as I am almost exclusively Bluray these days and always select the DTS HDMA when available.

HToM

post #97 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Too early to make any specific comments but overall behavior seems like the DTC 9.8 it replaced.

I take it, it was a nice step up from the 9.8? thanks again for your comments RMK, it's making the decision easier..
post #98 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I just checked my 886 for the issue you are having and I am not hearing any relay clicking at all with any audio format changes. I use the optical connection for my cable box with HDMI for my Panasonic BD30 and Toshiba A2.

Are you only using HDMI for audio? Have you checked the version of the FW on your 9.9? Maybe the problem could be resolved by a FW update. Its odd that I have not read of any relay clicking issues with the 9.9/886 until reading recent reviews of the 5507.

Bill

I use HDMI for my blu-ray players, optical digital for my cable box, and coaxial digital for my CD player.

Firmware is 1.05 with all latest DSP updates installed.

I have surround modes set for each type of source signal. Unless I'm missing something, you cannot set a default surround mode per "input" unless you set each signal type to the same processing (i.e. THX EX to all source types for that input). I have different surround modes set for each type of source signal (i.e. stereo for 2-channel digital, THX EX for Dolby Digital). I'll double check this tonight.

Again, this is not a major issue (even for anal-retentive types like me), but if the unit is close to you, you will hear the relay clicks. My bigger gripe with this is that in the second or so that it takes for the 9.9 to "reconnect" with the audio signal after a channel change or track skip, you miss a half second or so of the audio feed.

Bottom line, the unit just needs a slight delay before it "disconnects" the audio feed. As it stands now, these Onkyos/Integras immediately sever their connections if they sense a change in the audio feed.
post #99 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=Influence;17515606]

Quote:

I use HDMI for my blu-ray players, optical digital for my cable box, and coaxial digital for my CD player.

Almost the same connections that I am using other than the CD player which I am using the Balanced analog input.

Quote:

Firmware is 1.05 with all latest DSP updates installed.

The FW for my 886 is 1.04. I have asked several times what are the differences between 1.04 and 1.05. I have never seen any indication that there is any difference although I am sure there is.

Quote:

I have surround modes set for each type of source signal. Unless I'm missing something, you cannot set a default surround mode per "input" unless you set each signal type to the same processing (i.e. THX EX to all source types for that input). I have different surround modes set for each type of source signal (i.e. stereo for 2-channel digital, THX EX for Dolby Digital). I'll double check this tonight.

You can set listening modes for each input as shown on page 122 of the 9.9 manual. So for your BR player you could set DTS-MA to a THX mode and have TrueHD as just TrueHD if you wish. If you had a HD DVD player as I do (Toshiba A2) which I use for the few HD DVDs I have and for SD DVD viewing as well (upconverts DVDs better than my BD30). I have the A2 on another input and I can setup TrueHD to a THX mode and any other listening mode specifically for that input. So even though TrueHD is defaulted to TrueHD for my BD30 I can set TrueHD on the A2 input to a THX mode. The listening modes do not have to be a global setting default for all inputs which is a nice feature.

Quote:

Again, this is not a major issue (even for anal-retentive types like me), but if the unit is close to you, you will hear the relay clicks.

I would fall into this category as the clicking would bother me. What I can not understand is why there is no clicking at all from my 886. Other than cosmetics and the Pure mode I assumed the 9.9/886 were identical.

Quote:

My bigger gripe with this is that in the second or so that it takes for the 9.9 to "reconnect" with the audio signal after a channel change or track skip, you miss a half second or so of the audio feed.

I had the audio delay issue with my 805 which was corrected with a DSP update. I do not have the audio delay with the 886 that I had with the 805 when I first got it. Does your 9.9 have the latest DSP version?

Quote:

Bottom line, the unit just needs a slight delay before it "disconnects" the audio feed. As it stands now, these Onkyos/Integras immediately sever their connections if they sense a change in the audio feed.

I just checked my 886 when flipping channels with my SA-8300HD cable box (optical connection) and I get no audio delay at all. If the channel change goes from DD 5.1 to a analog channel (DPLIIx default) the only delay is a spilt second for the channel change itself, for audio there is no delay.

Bill

post #100 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

If the issue is a change in the audio feed, won't the same issue recur, unless, maybe there is an identical 5.1 level, or something very similar to what was being received-5.1->2.0 would probably be different though. I have been wondering if a macro command at channel change, at least, that immediately sends a similar signal-5.1,( if that was the previous signal in), with concurrent lowest volume possible, from another source, held high, until channel switching, say 0.4sec., would work. My guess is that it won't, however, as any interruption in the signal with most of these pieces, seem to require a new handshake and...mechanical relays are just that..

Now, does the same thing happen-relay click-when the DirecTV source is paused and play resumes, or when rewinding for a few seconds and resuming play?

Thank you very much

Fury
post #101 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Does anyone know if the 80.1 will decode DVD-Audio over HDMI from the Oppo BDP83?
post #102 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_dad View Post

Does anyone know if the 80.1 will decode DVD-Audio over HDMI from the Oppo BDP83?

Acutually the OPPO is doing the DVD-A "decoding" but yes, I have that setup and a good number of DVD-Audio disks and it works perfectly.

HToM

post #103 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM

How much are the DHC-80.1 selling for in the US?
post #104 of 1862 Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Msrp $2300
post #105 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Ran Audyssey set-up in 8 positions. Watched Monster's Inc. Blu-Ray last night. I was blown away by the soundfield created by my system. I can't imagine things getting much better if you are only running digital sources, especially HDMI.
The relay clicks are definitely there when transitioning from movie trailer to movie trailer or to menu or when skipping chapters. They occur more frequently when running bitstream rather than PCM to the Integra. Also audible when changing channels on HDTV set-top box. Yes, I have set a default surround mode for each input. It does not bother me, but I tolerate the tics and pops of vinyl records and have several vacuum tubes in my 2 channel audio system in pursuit of my idea of "better" sound. YMMV! If you are contemplating a more expensive unit (Denon, Anthem, Classe, Bryston), and are intent on spending more money, do yourself a favor and at least consider this unit and take the difference and buy a high-end 2 channel preamp if you still spin vinyl or have a high end CD/SACD player.
post #106 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Now, does the same thing happen-relay click-when the DirecTV source is paused and play resumes, or when rewinding for a few seconds and resuming play?

Thank you very much

Fury

I set my 80.1 up yesterday and am overall happy with it. Still tweaking and trying to get it figured out. There is clicking noises doing some task but FFWD/RWD on my Dish DVR did not cause any clicking. When it does click it seems subtle and occurs simultaneously when the preamp locks onto, and begins outputting the sound track. I think I can live with it. It maybe be the downside of hdmi/hdcp that were going to have to live with. firm ware update?
post #107 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Fw update won't ever fix the clicking. Btw, NAD M15HD only clicks when turning on/off/mute, but you have to blow $4500 to get there. Most or all of the new high end surround processor designs use mechnical relays to give us the absolute best sq during playback; so no pain no gain.
post #108 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

click, click, click, tic, tac, toc, clicking ..... are you sure you guys are talking about sound processors not food processors or sth ?

that Marantz processor is looking more and more interesting !

(sorry I could not resist, but I feel that way right now )
post #109 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 View Post

Fw update won't ever fix the clicking.

You may be right, but that's not an absolute certainty. If enough folks complained about it, and asked for a non-relay mute option, they might do it.

Quote:

Btw, NAD M15HD only clicks when turning on/off/mute, but you have to blow $4500 to get there. Most or all of the new high end surround processor designs use mechnical relays to give us the absolute best sq during playback; so no pain no gain.

My current SSP-800, and the Tag AV32R before it, both offered the user a choice of muting with or without a relay, and I find the non-relay options perfectly effective, and impose no impairment in sound quality.

ETA: From the Denon 4810 thread: >>there IS a way around the mute clicking sound and that is to set your Mute Level (under Manual Setup/Option Setup/Volume Control/Mute Level) to -40dB...<< If there's not already such an option in the Integra/Onkyo universe, peer pressure might also be effective.
post #110 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Roger,

Agreed that there just might be a Fw fix OR a workaround.

Hi MCPFRID<<br />
Does the relay click if you pause the DISH signal for 1 second and hit play? Also, does rewind for 5 seconds, if that is possible, cause the relay to click?

If there is no click and the 80.1 can be polled, with a report of the audio signal it has acquired, which i suspect it will so reply, there maaaybe is a work around for some of the applications. Would be a bit'o'fun trying for a while anyway.

Thank you very much

Fury

Thank you very much

Fury
post #111 of 1862 Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM

Has anyone been able to get a copy of the PC software used for programming the 80.1?

I'm curious to see what it's capabilities and limitations are.
post #112 of 1862 Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

click, click, click, tic, tac, toc, clicking ..... are you sure you guys are talking about sound processors not food processors or sth ?

that Marantz processor is looking more and more interesting !

(sorry I could not resist, but I feel that way right now )

Features-wise, the Marantz does not compete. The 8003 was supposed to be competitive with the 9.8, although it was fair a bit short of that for $1,000 more. On features, it is far short of the 9.9 or certainly the 80.1. The real killer for me with the Marantz is that it is only Audyssey MultEQ capable, not MultEQ XT and not Audyssey Pro. MultEQ has much lower resolution than XT. If you are really interested in Marantz, I think it would be best to wait for a newer model that features-wise is up to the 80.1. The 8003 just does not look competitive, and I am skeptical that the sound is significantly different from any of the Integras, except, perhaps, on analog inputs, where the 9.8/9.9 were weak.
post #113 of 1862 Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
To get off this relay click kick for a moment, does anyone know if the 80.1 will disable Audyssey processing for signals more than 96K like the 9.8/9.9? I have a hunch the DSP chips are more powerful (now listed as TI Aureas), but they are still 32-bit. I am not upgrading my prepro unless it can do full Audyssey up to 192K.
post #114 of 1862 Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

To get off this relay click kick for a moment, does anyone know if the 80.1 will disable Audyssey processing for signals more than 96K like the 9.8/9.9? I have a hunch the DSP chips are more powerful (now listed as TI Aureas), but they are still 32-bit. I am not upgrading my prepro unless it can do full Audyssey up to 192K.

Should be in the manual as it was for the 9.8.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #115 of 1862 Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 67
[quote=Tikkenator2;17519711]Ran Audyssey set-up in 8 positions. Watched Monster's Inc. Blu-Ray last night. I was blown away by the soundfield created by my system. I can't imagine things getting much better if you are only running digital sources, especially HDMI.

good post Tikkenator2- I put order in for one of these units
hoping ease of use, reliability, music(digital) is as least as good as my Lexicon dc-1
I'm sure movies will be fantastic

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #116 of 1862 Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone done a comparison in sound quality between the HDMI and digital coax inputs? I may try it as I have a friend who is an installer for an authorized Integra dealer and he says it's better. Just wondering if anyone has already done this and what there findings were.
post #117 of 1862 Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have a new DHC-9.9, but the issue I have would be the same on an 80.1, so I thought I would ask here since the 9.9 thread seems to have dried up.

When playing a BR movie with Dolby TrueHD on my DVD player using HDMI and bitstream output, the Integra display shows Dolby Digital. If I change the BR player's output to LPCM the Integra shows MultiCh on its display. I ripped the same BR movie and played it on my Popcorn Hour media player through the Integra and it properly displays Dolby TrueHD.

I have tried several TrueHD movies and different HDMI cables with the same result. I have also tried sequencing through the Listening Modes with no success. This seems to indicate some sort of problem with my BR player, but I thought I would ask if others have had weird problems like this before trying any more gymnastics.
post #118 of 1862 Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post

When playing a BR movie with Dolby TrueHD on my DVD player using HDMI and bitstream output, the Integra display shows “Dolby Digital”. If I change the BR player’s output to LPCM the Integra shows “MultiCh” on its display. I ripped the same BR movie and played it on my Popcorn Hour media player through the Integra and it properly displays “Dolby TrueHD.

I have seen the same thing between my Oppo BDP-83 and a Classe SSP-800. In my case it is not consistent, even the same stream gets reported as TrueHD sometimes, and DD at others. I'm assuming it's delivering TrueHD and mistaking the identity. Other than with the AIX disc, not sure how I'd confirm that, as I have no bitrate meter in my decoder. If yours has that, might be worth checking.
post #119 of 1862 Old 11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I have seen the same thing between my Oppo BDP-83 and a Classe SSP-800. In my case it is not consistent, even the same stream gets reported as TrueHD sometimes, and DD at others. I'm assuming it's delivering TrueHD and mistaking the identity. Other than with the AIX disc, not sure how I'd confirm that, as I have no bitrate meter in my decoder. If yours has that, might be worth checking.

Thanks for the input...at least it helps me keep my sanity. I don't have a bitrate meter either, so I think I will just keep an eye (ear) on it for awhile before making any changes.
post #120 of 1862 Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^ One good reason why proper bitrate meters are useful on a player. Oppo? Oppo?...we're not just being anal about this, it's a good check that we're getting what we think we're getting.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page