A question on which AVR to choose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am always impressed with the knowledge and willingness to help displayed on this forum and am hoping to get some assistance.
I am interested in getting a new AVR for home theater. I would like to spend $700 or less, though admittedly would go a little higher if there was a compelling reason. I am looking for a receiver that has at least 4 hdmi inputs, upscales/upconverts to 1080p, and has 2 zones. I am not as familiar wthh all of the different sound options, but would like to have at least 7.1 since my room is wired for the add'l side speakers.
I have seen in other posts people recommending the onkyo 707.. in this price range is that the best receiver? Or are there other options?

Also a network port would be nice if it could be used to stream music from my NAS, but that would be more of a nice to have than a requirement.

I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks
jcmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Hello JCMO...I am new to this Home Theater stuff too and have been driving myself nuts on what receiver to get too. I've been reading about the 707 and also considered the Pioneer Elite 23THX. After several weeks of research and reading these threads, I just ordered the Elite. Still not sure if that is a good move or not, but I have 30-days to return it once it arrives.

From what I've read, they are both very good receivers. From a sound quality standpoint, I understand that the Onkyo has smooth sound to it and a bit bassier sound, while the Elite is much clearer and precise sounding, whatever all of that means.

Both, from what I've read have their share of issues when it comes to the video portion of things, but I do not know enough to make any intelligent comments on that.

My opinion was...The Onkyo has more issues than the Pioneer and that he Elite amps inside were a bit better. But again, everyone has a different opinion and many on here, not all though, have their favorite Receiver brand, just like people have their favorite brand of car, appliances and other things. Not sure if you will ever get the answer you want. I think you just have to take what you read on here as valuable advise, then, try to listen to them both and determine for what you will use it for, what receiver has the better options and least amount of problems.

Dave
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
jcmo34- If you want a network AVR look at the Onkyo 807, Onkyo rc180 (almost the same, little less power than the 807), or the Denon 3808 (older, but for $100 you can add most of the new features). These are the brands would look at for features and performance within your budget.

AVRs properly setup will sound nearly identical. I really like Audyssey Room Correction which Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz use. Pioneer, Yamaha, and Harmon Kardon use their own solution, which may or may not equal Audyssey (IDK). Pioneer and Yamaha grossly inflate their power numbers with all channels driven. Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz bench test over or very close to their stated numbers.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #4 of 4 Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

jcmo34- If you want a network AVR look at the Onkyo 807, Onkyo rc180 (almost the same, little less power than the 807), or the Denon 3808 (older, but for $100 you can add most of the new features). These are the brands would look at for features and performance within your budget.

AVRs properly setup will sound nearly identical. I really like Audyssey Room Correction which Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz use. Pioneer, Yamaha, and Harmon Kardon use their own solution, which may or may not equal Audyssey (IDK). Pioneer and Yamaha grossly inflate their power numbers with all channels driven. Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz bench test over or very close to their stated numbers.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. The network would really be more of a nice to have. The other features are definitely more important.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page