"Official" Audyssey Pro thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let's see if this thread takes hold. If it does then I will update this post to be a little more informative.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Chris,

As most of us already know, you suggest setting all speaker crossovers to 80Hz after running Audyssey. When I run MultEQ Pro, it lists the crossovers for mains as "large", 40Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, etc.

I usually set all my crossovers to 80Hz.

I have recently read we should pick the second highest choice if "large" is first. Is "large" the only crossover setting that the manufacture "gets to suggest"? I guess I am wanting to know why 80Hz wasn't suggested as second (for all of my speakers for that matter)? Is this because MultEQ Pro actually found 40Hz to be better for my sytem or are you trying to make the manufacturers happy?

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #3 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Liked: 10
I post the following question in "Official" Audyssey thread. I did not get any reply. Since I am planning to buy Onkyo NR1007 with MultiEQ XT. I wonder that anyone in this thread can give any clue.

I am using 2 Mirage OMD-15 FS and OMD-C1 as my front speakers. Can I still benefit from adding 2 Mirage Omnisats as my front height speakers when I run DSX? All the speakers are using Omnipolar technology of Mirage.

Thanks a lot.
post #4 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

Chris,

As most of us already know, you suggest setting all speaker crossovers to 80Hz after running Audyssey. When I run MultEQ Pro, it lists the crossovers for mains as "large", 40Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, etc.

I rarely ever see the settings listed in that regular order. This implies that there are factors being considered other than simply bass extension.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I rarely ever see the settings listed in that regular order. This implies that there are factors being considered other than simply bass extension.

Sometimes the list is something like "large", 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz. "large" is always first.

My center is usually "large", 80Hz, etc.

Counsil Basement HT
post #6 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sometimes the list is something like "large", 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 40Hz. "large" is always first.

My center is usually "large", 80Hz, etc.

I have had different results with different equipment. Sometimes, "large" is first, sometimes not, and rarely are the others in size order.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hey Kal,

I am under the impression that when you select 80Hz (instead of "large", 40Hz, etc), MultEQ Pro can better optimize the available filters instead of applying them below the crossover region. I'm not sure where I read that. Maybe I asked Chris in the past. Do you know if I am under the correct impression?

Counsil Basement HT
post #8 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have had different results with different equipment. Sometimes, "large" is first, sometimes not, and rarely are the others in size order.

Interesting. Good to know.

Counsil Basement HT
post #9 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey Kal,

I am under the impression that when you select 80Hz (instead of "large", 40Hz, etc), MultEQ Pro can better optimize the available filters instead of applying them below the crossover region. I'm not sure where I read that. Maybe I asked Chris in the past. Do you know if I am under the correct impression?

Well, anything handled in the sub channel benefits from the higher filter resolution on that channel. So, the more you send there (the higher the crossover), the more optimized, Chris would say.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #10 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, anything handled in the sub channel benefits from the higher filter resolution on that channel. So, the more you send there (the higher the crossover), the more optimized, Chris would say.

Right, but MultEQ Pro allows the user to select the crossovers they want before the filters are created. Regular MultEQ XT doesn't allow this. If, in MultEQ XT, you select a higher crossover, the filters below the crossover aren't "optimally" being used. This is why I am under the impression that MultEQ Pro can make better use of the filters on the satellite channels. Hmmm... I can't remember where I read this.

Counsil Basement HT
post #11 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right, but MultEQ Pro allows the user to select the crossovers they want before the filters are created. Regular MultEQ XT doesn't allow this. If, in MultEQ XT, you select a higher crossover, the filters below the crossover aren't "optimally" being used. This is why I am under the impression that MultEQ Pro can make better use of the filters on the satellite channels. Hmmm... I can't remember where I read this.

I am not sure that is so. If the sub channel is EQ'ed up to the LP filter point for LFE (usually 120Hz), anything redirected to it would be similarly handled.

What AudysseyPro does is recalculate the filter response above the crossover if you select a change.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #12 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am not sure that is so. If the sub channel is EQ'ed up to the LP filter point for LFE (usually 120Hz), anything redirected to it would be similarly handled.

What AudysseyPro does is recalculate the filter response above the crossover if you select a change.

I am getting a little confused...

What I am asking is if your front speakers are intially set at "large" or 40Hz, for example, and you change them to 80Hz, are the filters for the main speakers going to end out differently? If so, how so? I am thinking the filters that would have been applied to the frequecies below 80Hz (or so) are moved to the frequecies above 80Hz (to make better use of them).

Counsil Basement HT
post #13 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Can someone go over the process (or link to a previous post explaining it) that would be required for an enthusiast to do their own Audyssey Pro calibrations? I understand the purchase of a license key and some additional software is required, but it is unclear to me how I could obtain either one.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

Can someone go over the process (or link to a previous post explaining it) that would be required for an enthusiast to do their own Audessy Pro calibrations? I understand the purchase of a license key and some additional software is required, but it is unclear to me where I could obtain either one.

Sure. First visit the Audyssey website (http://www.audyssey.com/installers/index.html) to determine if there is an Audyssey Pro Installer near you. If there is, then go to them to purchase an Installer kit (currently $550). If there is not an Installer near you, then email Audyssey (installer@audyssey.com). They will sell you the kit directly. If you purchase the kit directly from Audyssey you will get access to the Installer website that will give you access to a lot of manuals (among other things) better explaining how to perform a Pro calibration. I am under the impression (read here http://www.audyssey.com/InstallerWeb...stallerkitcost) that if you purchase the kit from an Installer, you wouldn't end out with access to the Installer website.

Addition...

Each AVR you want to perform a Pro calibration on will require a separate license key. The cost is $150. You do not need a license key for Audyssey-made products (Sound Equalizer, Sub Equalizer, etc.).

Counsil Basement HT
post #15 of 31 Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is a Sound Equalizer for sell on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audyssey-Sound-E...item19b715fee9

The price started decent, but it is steadily getting too pricey, IMO.

Counsil Basement HT
post #16 of 31 Old 10-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCC View Post

I post the following question in "Official" Audyssey thread. I did not get any reply. Since I am planning to buy Onkyo NR1007 with MultiEQ XT. I wonder that anyone in this thread can give any clue.

I am using 2 Mirage OMD-15 FS and OMD-C1 as my front speakers. Can I still benefit from adding 2 Mirage Omnisats as my front height speakers when I run DSX? All the speakers are using Omnipolar technology of Mirage.

Thanks a lot.

I wil venture an answer to this one. First let me preface this by saying I have never personally listened to any type of omnipolar speaker design. So with that in mind consider the following...

Based on what I read online I am unsure about the directionality of the omnipolar design and therefore unsure as if it is best suited for home theater type scenarios where DSX comes into play. Possibly a more directional speaker choice would be better suited in this type of configuration, but I do see they sell 5.1 packages in this style so I am sure they are better than I think.

The Onkyo NR1007 supports high OR wide from what I can tell from online specs. The High/Wide channels are 20hz-20khz full bandwidth channels that are processed like any other in the receiver with regards to bass management so using the Omnisats for height channel speakers would do just fine as long as you are happy with the imaging of the 'OMNI' design, any low end that needs better handling will be redirected to the sub based on the crossover frequency selected during setup.

Hope this helps.

Christopher
post #17 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey all, I am thinking of having my speakers professionally calibrated and thus resurrecting this thread.

I currently have the Onk 3008, 2 rf7's and rc 64 up front, rf 82 wides, rf52 rear wides and rb 51 rear surrounds. I am running a CS 18.T which is 2 separate 18 inch sealed subs run off one 1000 watt amp.

I am adding a CS 18.2 which is a single box containing 2 18 inch subs run off one 1000 watt amp. I realized that I am going to need more than just my Audyssey Multi EQ ET 32
for tuning.

I am working with an ISF pro (he calibrated my TV) who wants to use Audyssey Pro for a full calibration.

Will I benefit significantly from a professional calibration from an ISF certified tech using Audyssey Pro? I have a feeling that the answer is yes. He said the full calibration will run about $800, which I have no problem with (I am trading personal training @ $50 an hour for training....that was my profession before I taught college). There is a $150 licensing fee for the Pro each time he uses it, but it is cheaper than the $550 for the full kit?

The pro calibration will produce significant improvements, yes?
post #18 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

Hey all, I am thinking of having my speakers professionally calibrated and thus resurrecting this thread.

I currently have the Onk 3008, 2 rf7's and rc 64 up front, rf 82 wides, rf52 rear wides and rb 51 rear surrounds. I am running a CS 18.T which is 2 separate 18 inch sealed subs run off one 1000 watt amp.

I am adding a CS 18.2 which is a single box containing 2 18 inch subs run off one 1000 watt amp. I realized that I am going to need more than just my Audyssey Multi EQ ET 32
for tuning.

I am working with an ISF pro (he calibrated my TV) who wants to use Audyssey Pro for a full calibration.

Will I benefit significantly from a professional calibration from an ISF certified tech using Audyssey Pro? I have a feeling that the answer is yes. He said the full calibration will run about $800, which I have no problem with (I am trading personal training @ $50 an hour for training....that was my profession before I taught college). There is a $150 licensing fee for the Pro each time he uses it, but it is cheaper than the $550 for the full kit?

As I said in your other thread, the Onkyo TX NR3008 is not installer ready. You can't do a Pro Calibration on it. I'm surprised your ISF guy didn't know this.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #19 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Wait a minute, are you saying if he has the pro kit he can't do it?

The 3008 is one step from the Onk flagship, why wouldn't it be ready?
post #20 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

for tuning.

Are you sure the 3008 is compatible with Audyssey Pro? I have not yet seen it confirmed at the Audyssey Installers Site.

Quote:

Will I benefit significantly from a professional calibration from an ISF certified tech using Audyssey Pro?

Cannot say without a lot more info about your room.

Quote:

There is a $150 licensing fee for the Pro each time he uses it, but it is cheaper than the $550 for the full kit?

No. The licensing fee/key is $150 for the unit but only once.

Quote:

??

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #21 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

I just checked the Audyssey site, you are correct, the 3008 is not installer ready.

Is there any other way to use the Pro?
post #22 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wait a minute, are you saying if he has the pro kit he can't do it?

Yes, he cannot.

Quote:

The 3008 is one step from the Onk flagship, why wouldn't it be ready?

Even the flagship 5008 is not AudysseyPro compatible, only the prepros.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #23 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just checked the Audyssey site, you are correct, the 3008 is not installer ready.

Is there any other way to use the Pro?

Get another AVR or prepro.

OTOH, I do not believe you should be concerned with it at this point. Have you done a competent setup with XT32? If not, hold off.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #24 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Get another AVR or prepro.

OTOH, I do not believe you should be concerned with it at this point. Have you done a competent setup with XT32? If not, hold off.

I ran it and it sounds good. However I believe the 18.2 sub I am adding will present tuning challenges.
post #25 of 31 Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I ran it and it sounds good. However I believe the 18.2 sub I am adding will present tuning challenges.
Why? What problems will it present?

There is nothing in AudysseyPro that specifically addresses adding another sub that isn't already in XT32. You seem fearful of relying on XT32 but there is no reason not to and, frankly, you don't even have a choice.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #26 of 31 Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to create a new post concerning my struggles getting Audyssey to work on my new Denon 3310. I'm registered, but nowhere can I find a button to initiate a new question/post concerning my issue. Any ideas?

LJ
KC
post #27 of 31 Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Try posting on the Denon 3310CI Owner's thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #28 of 31 Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try posting on the Denon 3310CI Owner's thread.

Thanks. I go there, but can't find the option to write a new post, only to reply to the last post listed.
post #29 of 31 Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Replying to the last post is the same as creating your own post.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #30 of 31 Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just waiting for my pro kit.

Question :

I know if you use the mic that comes with the denon, you have 2 curve options for EQ.

Now, when using the pro kit, where does it store it's curves too? Is there a new curve to choose from? Or do I still select FLAT for example and it will use results from the pro kit?

Thanks and excited..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page