Reciever went poof - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Sony STR-DG720 receiver died on me late last night so now I'm in the market for a replacement. I figured I'd check here for advice. My budget is $200-$500. I'm running an assortment of custom made 8ohm speakers. My current defunct Sony receiver produced house shaking volume levels with its 105w per channel so I'm looking for something with around that power if not more. I want to use HDMI for all hookups. I should probably mention I'm not an expert on this stuff. With that in mind, here's the features I'm interested in...

Reciever Features
  • 5.1 channels. 7.1 preferred
  • 100w per channel minimum
  • 3 HDMI inputs minimum
  • 1080i video / audio switching. 1080p would be nice.
  • The usual audio decoding including Dolby, DTS etc.

Current Equipment
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
100w per channel minimum doesn't mean much because mfrs don't rate their receivers power all the same. I'm sure your Sony stated it was 105 wpc but in reality it was nowhere close to that, not with 5 speakers being driven. The model up 820 is only rated at 70 watts per channel with 5 channel driven. Sony is notorious for overstating the power in their entry level receivers.

Look at the Denon 1610, 1910, Pioneer VSX-919 or 1019, Onkyo HT-RC160, 607 or 706 on closeout, Marantz 5003.

Take a hard look at the Denon 1910 with its 4 HDMI inputs. It also has Audyssey MultiEQ room calibration software which really helps EQ your listening area. The Marantz has it too.

6ave.com has a Name Your Price deal going right now. You should be able to get the Denon 1910 around $400 or less.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DENAVR1910

Afro GT
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Forget the Pioneers. The 1019 did 29w/channel with 5 channels driven. Sony is the worst of the AVR makers with true power. Their $1000+ AVRs don't hit half the power they claim and the newer models are a joke, less than a 5th of stated.

Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and H/K are just below (Den, Onk) or exceed (Mar, H/K) their claimed numbers. If power truly means that much, pick up the Yamaha 665 and grab a power amp.

Denon 1910, Onkyo 607, H/K 254 (cheap as it is a little older, Ebay store) and Marantz I couldn't tell you. Look at the ***3 models (last years) as they will be cheaper. Accessories 4 less has refurbs which would be a great option.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's interesting about the false power ratings. Sounds like I don't really need 100w per channel then. I'll look into the models you guys suggested.

Interesting that neither of you recommended Sony. After having this one go poof after only a year's use I'm not itching to get another anyway. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As said above forget power ratings, they mean next to nothing. Unless a receiver has been tested which few are just go by the assumption they will all fall short of specs with the exception of possibly HK which are rated lower with all channels driven. You can get a general idea on which brands are closer than others though and that's where Sony ranks among the worst, Pioneer and Yamaha have also dropped in recent models which seems to be a trend with manufacturers easing up on the amp section in favor of features at the price point.

With your criteria and budget I'd recommend the Denon 1910 if you want to go new. If you don't mind refurbished and don't need the current DPL IIz front speaker implementation imo the Onkyo 706 is the best bang for the buck.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I think I've settled on the Onkyo 160 receiver. Looks like it has all the features I need plus I really like the idea of 5 HDMI input ports. The Audyssey setup thing sounds really sweet too.

The Onkyo 706 is pretty nice too but I can live without the sixth HDMI port, I don't listen to satellite radio so don't need that feature & for half the price I can live without the extra 10w per channel. For my purposes it looks like the 160 is the way to go. Thanks again for the help.