The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4081 of 4729 Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post

So, I got my 5007 all hooked up last night. And I picked up a Cooler Master U3 notebook cooler for $27.99 from Fry's. Yay, they finally price match!

I ran Audussey, but when I broke out my Radio Shack SPL meter the Level Adjust was grayed out and I couldn't calibrate to 75dB. Weird.

Try unplugging your 5007 and letting it sit for a little while before plugging it back in and trying it. This often works for grayed out sections on the GUI.

If that fails you'll have to perform a hard reset on the unit.

Cheers,
SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4729 Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Keith,
It really is a grass is always greener as I have London as one of the Weather Locations on my HTC EVO 3D and often think about how much I would rather live there. It has only been in the past week or 2 that the Temperature has gone below 30C or around 90F. And that is saying nothing of the Heat Index which had been well over 100 Degrees well into October.

Don't get me wrong, currently it is utterly beautiful and it is only going to get better. An unfortunate corollary to this is the return of the Snowbirds who come down in their Cadillac's, Buick's, Vinyl Roofed Crown Victorias, et al and drive a good 20 Miles below the Speed Limit and often pull U-Turns on busy Roads at the drop of a hat.
Cheers,
AD

As a Snowbird wannabe (too young and not enough money), thanks for putting up with us!

Although I would probably be headed for Phoenix or San Diego, I promise when I do get there it will be in a bright coloured convertible sports car pushing the limits and without making a U-turn...

Interesting there is a bill before congress to make available a "Retiree Visa" for Canadians over 50 so they can stay up to 240 days before having to return home... so keep your eyes peeled for cotton tops!

Al
post #4083 of 4729 Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:

Keith,
It really is a grass is always greener as I have London as one of the Weather Locations on my HTC EVO 3D and often think about how much I would rather live there. It has only been in the past week or 2 that the Temperature has gone below 30C or around 90F. And that is saying nothing of the Heat Index which had been well over 100 Degrees well into October.

Sure - I used to have a home in Florida and visited many, many times. I agree that sometimes it can be a little uncomfortable, but on balance, for me anyway, living in the heat beats living in the cold. Actually, it's not the cold so much as the lack of sunshine. It's sunshine I crave and we don't see nearly enough here.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, currently it is utterly beautiful and it is only going to get better. An unfortunate corollary to this is the return of the Snowbirds who come down in their Cadillac's, Buick's, Vinyl Roofed Crown Victorias, et al and drive a good 20 Miles below the Speed Limit and often pull U-Turns on busy Roads at the drop of a hat.
Cheers,
AD

Hahaha. Oh yes, I remember them! How do we bring this back on topic... let's see... ah yes - well at least your air-conditioned homes are a better environment for the hot-running Onkyos!

Kind Regards,

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4084 of 4729 Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Interesting there is a bill before congress to make available a "Retiree Visa" for Canadians over 50 so they can stay up to 240 days before having to return home... so keep your eyes peeled for cotton tops!

Wow. I wish they would extend that to other areas of the Commonwealth. Ie, Britain!!

Kind Regards,

Keith

post #4085 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked: 10
Is anyone else routinely running at reference for movies other then myself? I've been watching a lot of movies, Blurays, Digital, Divx, (2 channel and 6 channel) both converted to 5.1. Just wondering where most people's preferred listening level is at for movies on their onkyo. Mine is at 0.0.

TV/Cable is between -20 and -10

Music is between -10 and 0.0
post #4086 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Wow. I wish they would extend that to other areas of the Commonwealth. Ie, Britain!!

Kind Regards,

Keith

What's the matter Keith, weather a bit damp as of late?

I know that where I live is the best in Canada for weather, but sometimes a bit more sun/warmth would be nice...

Al
post #4087 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post

My 5007 just quit outputting sound! I was underway for 3 weeks and come home to a family room that doesn't work.

It looks like it isn't detecting any speakers. There are no speaker channels on the display, it just shows "A". I only have the A set connected.

After 2 years of using 5007 I also end up with the same problem and same symptoms. Mine started this summer, 2-3 time I just plugged off the unit and pressed a lot of buttons erratically. Today I guess is the end.... Living in Moscow means that I will wait for many months for the board to come here. I still did not contact the service guys and I am thinking - will it be happening from now on every year? I am also one of those who always leaves amps and receivers on for 24h\\365d and I can't stand any fan noise.

I wonder, the newest 5008 and 5009 models also have the same manufacturer's defect? I checked some videos on Youtube - it seems to me that 5009 have the same layout as 5007, meaning that it might possible be stupid to buy a new Onkyo unit and wait another 1.5 years for its failure. What do you think?
post #4088 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusG View Post

Is anyone else routinely running at reference for movies other then myself? I've been watching a lot of movies, Blurays, Digital, Divx, (2 channel and 6 channel) both converted to 5.1. Just wondering where most people's preferred listening level is at for movies on their onkyo. Mine is at 0.0.

I have a 5507 Pre-Pro and always run at reference volume when watching movies. My TV volume is about the same as yours as well.

Shan

post #4089 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I run about -15 for movies, man I think 00 would be really loud in my room. I know that 0 is suppose to be reference but I wonder how much variation their is from room to room. Another words my -15 might be equal to your 0, depanding on amps and speakers

post #4090 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I run about -15 for movies, man I think 00 would be really loud in my room. I know that 0 is suppose to be reference but I wonder how much variation their is from room to room. Another words my -15 might be equal to your 0, depanding on amps and speakers

Assuming you are setting things up with Audessey, your reference, his reference and my reference should be about the same volume.

Shan

post #4091 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Assuming you are setting things up with Audessey, your reference, his reference and my reference should be about the same volume.

Shan

It is set up with Audessey yes. But I guess that was my question, how much trim room does Audessey have to adjust for amp power and speaker levels. Another words can it adjust enough to make a low power amps driving hard to drive speakers the same level as a high power amp with easy to drive speakers. Maybe it does, just thinking out loud.

I know at 00 my room would be way louder then any movie theator that I have been to, but I don't know how close they run to reference.

post #4092 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is set up with Audessey yes. But I guess that was my question, how much trim room does Audessey have to adjust for amp power and speaker levels. Another words can it adjust enough to make a low power amps driving hard to drive speakers the same level as a high power amp with easy to drive speakers. Maybe it does, just thinking out loud.

I know at 00 my room would be way louder then any movie theator that I have been to, but I don't know how close they run to reference.

Audessey has a pretty broad range of control but I am not an expert so I'm not sure...I guess I have assumed it could tackle those kinds of issues. Might be a good question for the Audessey thread.

Shan

post #4093 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What's the matter Keith, weather a bit damp as of late?

I know that where I live is the best in Canada for weather, but sometimes a bit more sun/warmth would be nice...

Hi Al,

No - quite the reverse in fact. October was amazingly warm and sunny - warm enough to sit in the garden (yard) in shirtsleeves. And so far, November has been sunny but much cooler. I suspect a lot of rain is on its way. I lived in Pasadena/LA for 3 years many years ago, and, until about 5 years ago, owned a home in Florida which I spent time at every year. I do envy people who live in warm, sunny places! As a sop to being on topic , at least my hot-running 5007 is better in a cooler climate!

post #4094 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My 5007 can adjust speaker trims by +/- 15dB. That is 30dB of adjustment which represents a thousand-fold increase in amp power from -15 to +15dB! I'd guess that that was enough variation

So, for a typical domestic environment, assuming that one has an AVR suited to the size of the room, plus speakers of typical efficiency, and with typical distances between speaker and listener, Reference is Reference regardless, and at 0dB we should all be hearing the same subjective loudness from our systems. It would be a pretty poor 'Reference' if that wasn't the case.

I typically use -9dB on the MV for movies and, subjectively to me, they sound very loud. This is not to be confused with 'sounding loud' when amps are clipping - I have massive amplification, efficient speakers and a small room, so headroom is virtually infinite. I just mean that the movie sounds very loud (but clean). A good test is to try talking to your partner during a loud passage (or to yourself if you prefer ) - sometimes you'll think the system isn't playing very loud, if it is clean and within the parameters of your amps and speakers, but you can amaze yourself when not only can your partner not hear your voice, but neither can you!

post #4095 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:

A good test is to try talking to your partner during a loud passage (or to yourself if you prefer ) - sometimes you'll think the system isn't playing very loud, if it is clean and within the parameters of your amps and speakers, but you can amaze yourself when not only can your partner not hear your voice, but neither can you!

I'm going to try that one next time. (probably later today) 2 weeks after getting laid off, i've been burning through a large amount of content. At least my Onky is performing flawlessly now.
post #4096 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxruss View Post

After 2 years of using 5007 I also end up with the same problem and same symptoms. Mine started this summer, 2-3 time I just plugged off the unit and pressed a lot of buttons erratically. Today I guess is the end.... Living in Moscow means that I will wait for many months for the board to come here. I still did not contact the service guys and I am thinking - will it be happening from now on every year? I am also one of those who always leaves amps and receivers on for 24h\\365d and I can't stand any fan noise.

I wonder, the newest 5008 and 5009 models also have the same manufacturer's defect? I checked some videos on Youtube - it seems to me that 5009 have the same layout as 5007, meaning that it might possible be stupid to buy a new Onkyo unit and wait another 1.5 years for its failure. What do you think?

So I take it it is not under warranty, or you cannot get the warranty honored in Moscow?

I was pricing out the 3009/5009 this past weekend, they do look very similar and do have some additional features over the x007 models. So considering that the prices were good I wouldn't hesitate but considering that the x010 models will soon be out... I would wait to see what they bring to the table and if there are still any x009 models out there the prices should soften just a bit more.

Al
post #4097 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM

so for the video on the 3007, picture adjust - resolution, would I be better at through or auto, or 1080p/24?

I know that the Onky would have better scaling then my ps3, so I need to go and turn the upscaling off. my ATT uverse box outputs at 1080i.

I haven't really played with this side of it yet, so I'm curious as to what you guys have to say about it.
post #4098 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM

I may just need to dig into the manual on this question:

I currently have my Front left and Front Right biamped. zone 2 activated, center, surround L and R.

Would it be possible to run: SBL SBR SR SL R L C and Zone 2 act and Zone 3 Act?

The reason why i ask, is if i go into speaker setup and activate zone 2 and 3, take fronts out of bi-amp, the only outputs left are Right High and Left High. (or does that just mean it's interchangeable between Surround back L/R or Hight L/R?
post #4099 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

so for the video on the 3007, picture adjust - resolution, would I be better at through or auto, or 1080p/24?

I know that the Onky would have better scaling then my ps3, so I need to go and turn the upscaling off. my ATT uverse box outputs at 1080i.

I haven't really played with this side of it yet, so I'm curious as to what you guys have to say about it.

depends on how well your display handles 24 frames...... I did not like how 24frames looked on my panasonic plasma, but do on the projector. If you dont mind how 24frames looks, id set it to auto so that if the content is 24frames native it will use that format but not force/convert to it.....

I prefer the scaling on the 3007 over the PS3 which is pretty good already.
post #4100 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

depends on how well your display handles 24 frames...... I did not like how 24frames looked on my panasonic plasma, but do on the projector. If you dont mind how 24frames looks, id set it to auto so that if the content is 24frames native it will use that format but not force/convert to it.....

I prefer the scaling on the 3007 over the PS3 which is pretty good already.

Do you use any of the artefact correction listed under resolution? I have it all set to off, i didn't know how worth while it is.
post #4101 of 4729 Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Do you use any of the artefact correction listed under resolution? I have it all set to off, i didn't know how worth while it is.

like block/mosquito noise? No it softens the image and introduces mire problems than it corrects......IMO.
post #4102 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm going to try that one next time. (probably later today) 2 weeks after getting laid off, i've been burning through a large amount of content. At least my Onky is performing flawlessly now.

I'm sorry to hear you have been laid off. Victim of the mess our supposed 'leaders' have created?

post #4103 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It depends which of your components does the best upscaling. There are generally three components which can upscale - the source unit (BD player etc), the AVR and the screen. You need to upscale in the place where it is done best.

If the source upscales the best, then you need to set it to its highest output resolution and the AVR needs to be set to Through. The screen will see 1080p coming in and do nothing.

If the AVR upscales best, then the source needs to be set to the native resolution of the material (often called 'Source' or something similar) and the AVR set to 1080p or whatever the highest res is that your screen supports. Again, the screen will see 1080p coming in and do nothing.

If the screen upscales best, you need the source set to the native resolution, the AVR set the Through, and the screen upscales will upscale to the highest res the panel or PJ can support.

How do you know which upscales best? Use a test disc and try all three methods. Remember also that the Onkyo has numerous additional picture quality controls which you may wish to use and if so, then you will need to have the AVR doing the work here. And these PQ controls are on a per-source basis, so you could, for example, enable some noise reduction on your SD TV source but not on your other sources. To enable this on a source by source basis it is important to set the AVR to SOURCE (not Through) in the Monitor Out/Resolution setting menu. You can then set each source to Through or 1080p or whatever you want in the Source Setup menu elsewhere.

post #4104 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I may just need to dig into the manual on this question:

I currently have my Front left and Front Right biamped. zone 2 activated, center, surround L and R.

Would it be possible to run: SBL SBR SR SL R L C and Zone 2 act and Zone 3 Act?

The reason why i ask, is if i go into speaker setup and activate zone 2 and 3, take fronts out of bi-amp, the only outputs left are Right High and Left High. (or does that just mean it's interchangeable between Surround back L/R or Hight L/R?

You have to remember you have just 9 channels of amplification, so you can't use more than 9 channels, no matter which combination you use. If you are biamping then that is two channels gone there. If you use Zone 2 that is another two channels used and so on. You can't use all the speaker options at once because you don't have enough channels.

post #4105 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Turn it on an off and try it. I leave it all off as I find it makes the PQ worse in every case. But it's easy to try. A good test disc is very helpful when doing these tests. Digital Video Essentials is a good one, or the Spiers & Munsel.

post #4106 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Turn it on an off and try it. I leave it all off as I find it makes the PQ worse in every case. But it's easy to try. A good test disc is very helpful when doing these tests. Digital Video Essentials is a good one, or the Spiers & Munsel.

Spears & Munsil!
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/
post #4107 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Spears & Munsil!
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

Hehehe - thank you, Rickard. I knew it was spelled wrong when I typed it! Should have used Mr Google.

EDIT: I just googled what I typed and google was intelligent enough to search for Spears and Munsil. What on earth did we do before search engines!

post #4108 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

EDIT: I just googled what I typed and google was intelligent enough to search for Spears and Munsil. What on earth did we do before search engines!

Gave smartasses something to do...?
post #4109 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:

So I take it it is not under warranty, or you cannot get the warranty honored in Moscow?

Russian distributor in Russia does honor Onkyo 1-year warranty, but I am passed the 12 months time ((( The problem is time mostly as we do not get fast spare parts shipments.

Thank you for your comments about 5009.
In Moscow Onkyo 5009 costs now US $3300 and 5009 - US $4300. Basically I would expect my 5007 to operate at least 5-9 years before it becomes obsolete due to technical rally of HDMI10.x or some 3-D fancy something upscaling directly inside the brain or whatever they introduce before cinema will be completely forgotten the same as theater and opera were.

I would never go for a N+1 model if I was fully satisfied. But this 5007 worries me that even if I get it repaired I would have the same issue in 2 years time.
post #4110 of 4729 Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Gave smartasses something to do...?

Which begs the question, what do they do now?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page