The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 143 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4261 of 4724 Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes had the hdmi board problem. I brought it in to a service center about five week ago, I called a few days ago and they told me the hdmi board was on back order and today I received a new 5009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4724 Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 AM

Hello, guys,
I have not been following this thread lately, but decided to come back. My 5007 is in Moscow Onkyo service repair for 4 months already due to HDMI board failure.

There is absolutely no sign of the board to be coming here any time, so frankly speaking I do not have enough words to describe how disgusting and desperate I feel about Onkyo brand and its attitude to customers. I did wrote several times to Onkyo Europe support (got only formal computer-generated replies), posted on Onkyo facebook wall (no result) and still I do not have the receiver for 4 months.

Talked to the technitian in Moscow service, he told me that this is the only problem they deal in 5007 and he told my board was ordered together with 4 other customers (5 receivers at the same time). I guess the rate of failures is overwhelming for Onkyo, but they do not even bother to make any improvement.

I have been searching the web to find out if the latest 5009 models have the same manufacturing 'bug', but their life-time only begun and there is not much info available yet.

Those of you who got the HDMI board replaced in recent months - do you have any info from Onkyo if that it absolutely the same HDMI board or it have been redesigned (or have different - better- Chinese parts)?
post #4263 of 4724 Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxruss View Post

Hello, guys,
I have not been following this thread lately, but decided to come back. My 5007 is in Moscow Onkyo service repair for 4 months already due to HDMI board failure.

There is absolutely no sign of the board to be coming here any time, so frankly speaking I do not have enough words to describe how disgusting and desperate I feel about Onkyo brand and its attitude to customers. I did wrote several times to Onkyo Europe support (got only formal computer-generated replies), posted on Onkyo facebook wall (no result) and still I do not have the receiver for 4 months.

Talked to the technitian in Moscow service, he told me that this is the only problem they deal in 5007 and he told my board was ordered together with 4 other customers (5 receivers at the same time). I guess the rate of failures is overwhelming for Onkyo, but they do not even bother to make any improvement.

I have been searching the web to find out if the latest 5009 models have the same manufacturing 'bug', but their life-time only begun and there is not much info available yet.

Those of you who got the HDMI board replaced in recent months - do you have any info from Onkyo if that it absolutely the same HDMI board or it have been redesigned (or have different - better- Chinese parts)?

Max- sorry to hear of your problems with your AVR. Four months is really not acceptable.

Would you mind telling me if you used external cooling fans on the rear half of your 5007 or not?

I am interested to try to find out if units that have always been externally cooled are showing the same HDMI board failure rate as those that have never been externally cooled. Thanks.
post #4264 of 4724 Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 AM

I did not use any fans, but the unit was on open stage. The room is air-conditioned with permanent temperature and humidity. First sign of future failure was after I returned from summer vacations and plugged it in.
post #4265 of 4724 Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxruss View Post

I did not use any fans, but the unit was on open stage. The room is air-conditioned with permanent temperature and humidity. First sign of future failure was after I returned from summer vacations and plugged it in.

Thanks.

It does seem that the units that have had early failure have been those that have not had external cooling from the start, or from very early in the unit's life.

Even those units that have been on an open shelf, with plenty of clearance all round, like your own, seem to suffer HDMI board failure.

It is clear from your experience with the service centre that Onkyo know they have serious problems with the HDMI board in the .x07 series - so much so they seem to have run out of replacement boards! In the USA they are sending people brand new x09 series units as replacements because they can't repair or replace the HDMI boards fast enough.

I'd repeat my advice to everyone with a x07 unit that has not so far had problems with HDMI dropouts etc: get two 4 inch PC fans and place them on the rear half of your unit.

I guess the other side of that is to deliberately not use fans, if the unit is still in warranty, and try to provoke HDMI board failure so that Onkyo can deal with it under warranty. Unfortunately, if your case is typical, that may result in being without a unit at all for months on end, which is, of course, not at all satisfactory.

I imagine that Onkyo have learned a lesson from this and that the x09 series have HDMI boards that are up to the task demanded of them.
post #4266 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM

I am beginning to scare about my NR3007 just bought it last Aug 2010 here in Hong Kong and so far the HDMI board still working flawlessly, as what you have advised, I have put 2 pc fans on top at the rear end of the receiver to suck hot air coming from the unit. My warranty period will end this Aug 2012. I will try my best to contact them, the Onkyo people, to check whether my unit is included among with faulty hdmi boards.
post #4267 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egroeg View Post

I am beginning to scare about my NR3007 just bought it last Aug 2010 here in Hong Kong and so far the HDMI board still working flawlessly, as what you have advised, I have put 2 pc fans on top at the rear end of the receiver to suck hot air coming from the unit. My warranty period will end this Aug 2012. I will try my best to contact them, the Onkyo people, to check whether my unit is included among with faulty hdmi boards.

Good idea to contact them. If you get any information about the serial numbers which are affected, please post it here. Meanwhile, the two fans should either eliminate the problem or considerably extend the life of the unit. If it does need the HDMI board replacing, be sure to get it done under warranty if possible as it is an expensive repair otherwise (in the USA people have mentioned sums like $800US).
post #4268 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

In Russia I was warned to prepare US$600 for the board & works. I do not know that for sure as I was charged US$130 so far - that is the costs of diagnostics just to know that HDMI board needs replacement.
post #4269 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is the first sign of HDMI failure ?
post #4270 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was not aware the x007 series had HDMI issues (I have the 905 and 906). The HDMI board symptoms are slower HDMI handshaking. Later, you will start getting pink and green lines or snow on the screen.

My 905 and 906 both had HDMI issues. Suggest you put a heat sink on the HQV processor (the chip generating all the heat) and placign a PC fan above the board. Make sure the fan is extracting air from the case, not blowing into the case.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #4271 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

What is the first sign of HDMI failure ?

No sound. No speaker symbols on left front control panel.
post #4272 of 4724 Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I got a fan, but it blowns in, its way more effective in this case. I read many tests on cpu cooling back in the day of 200+ watt single core. At close range blowing to the chip works best. Just to prove it, hold your hand 2 inches away from your mouth , suck air in than blow air out, feel the effect ! My 3007 every once in a while looses signal with my att uv box but the picture does come back. I always thought is a handshake issue, it happens about two hours after turn on last about 5 seconds, its not everyday, and only with my att uv cable box. So its not the HDMI broad hopefully, I have over 6000 hours on the onkyo clock, I leave it on if even when I don't use it for a few hours.
post #4273 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I posted about 2-3 weeks ago about my 3007 unit going bad. I dropped it off at the local service center. It was diagnosed as having a bad HDMI board. However, the service center (ABL Electronics in Madison Heights, MI) was able to order, receive and install a new HDMI board in a week. I was without the receiver for maybe 10 days. Sadly no free upgrade, but Onkyo did authorize a warranty repair about 45 days after the warranty had expired. The receiver is back home and working fine now. I am not sure whether to keep it or not.
post #4274 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Different subject: does anyone have suggestions on an inexpensive and effective way to send digital audio from an iOS device to the receiver? I recall Onkyo having some specialized dock but I'm not sure I care to invest in it, unless it's really the only way. I'd like to be able to come up and pipe my playlist to the receiver.
post #4275 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx99 View Post

Different subject: does anyone have suggestions on an inexpensive and effective way to send digital audio from an iOS device to the receiver? I recall Onkyo having some specialized dock but I'm not sure I care to invest in it, unless it's really the only way. I'd like to be able to come up and pipe my playlist to the receiver.

I just use an Apple TV. I bought a refurbished one off of Apple's site for $85. It showed up and looked new to me. It works great, has AirPlay, plus a lot of Internet radio stations. One of the better HT values IMO. I also bought a Monoprice digital to analog converter for the SPDIF connection to run my zone 2. HDMI to zone 1.

Congrats on getting yours back so soon, my 1007 is about to enter week 3 and still waiting on the HDMI board to arrive. Hoping for this week.
post #4276 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM

I was hoping for some sort of dock that I could direct connect to the receiver. I already have audio streaming to the receiver, HTPC, DLNA, etc. working, but pretty much all require a display to get running. I would not mind the simple solution of plugging my player into a dock, and letting it send digital music straight to the receiver through toslink, coax, etc.
post #4277 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM

I purchased a Antec Veris AV cooler that has 2 fans that suck out warm air and push it out the back. It has two speed settings. One for slow and silent and the second for quick and somewhat noisy at low receiver volume levels. Looks great and works awesome. Not to mention it has a blue led on the front. Sold me.
post #4278 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

I purchased a Antec Veris AV cooler that has 2 fans that suck out warm air and push it out the back. It has two speed settings. One for slow and silent and the second for quick and somewhat noisy at low receiver volume levels. Looks great and works awesome. Not to mention it has a blue led on the front. Sold me.

perhaps a link?

thanks
post #4279 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Okay I found the link. I purchase from Frys for roughly the cost on the MSRP.

http://store.antec.com/Product/acces...5-75007-3.aspx

It has a plastic bottom of abs but the top is aluminum and brushed. And it is just as big as our receivers.
post #4280 of 4724 Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

Okay I found the link. I purchase from Frys for roughly the cost on the MSRP.

http://store.antec.com/Product/acces...5-75007-3.aspx

It has a plastic bottom of abs but the top is aluminum and brushed. And it is just as big as our receivers.

haha WOW man that is a nice fan for the top of these junky onkyo's! gonna def get me one when i decide to actually plug this receiver in! brand new never been used! gonna have too soon i guess?
post #4281 of 4724 Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post

haha WOW man that is a nice fan for the top of these junky onkyo's! gonna def get me one when i decide to actually plug this receiver in! brand new never been used! gonna have too soon i guess?

What are you waiting for, plug it in and use it !! "junky" it is still one of the best sounding AVRs you can own, if it had 32xt it would be perfect, unless you got a dud..
This cooler is way overpriced for what it is. The fans are not ball bearing.
Just buy two BB 80mm fans and use a old phone changer.
post #4282 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

One question: considering I have the "no sound" problem on both HDMI and optical SPDIF sources... and that I had not upgraded to the last firmware... could it be that the firmware fix could solve the problem? I was wondering, since everybody seems to be mentioning the HDMI board being responsible for the problem but I think the SPDIF inputs are on a different board.
(cross posted here and in the official 3007 thread)

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #4283 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I sometimes lose sound and have to power cycle the AVR to get sound back.

I wonder what Onkyo will do if mine goes out and its out of warranty? Arent the hdmi boards out of stock?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #4284 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I wonder what Onkyo will do if mine goes out and its out of warranty? Arent the hdmi boards out of stock?

Hi Nick, does it only happen with HDMI sources or does it happen with SPDIF sources too (if you have them, that is)?

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #4285 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can get it fixed now. The boards are in stock right now. My 1007 has bee gone for a month now. Just talked to Onkyo and they say my board should be shipped to the repair facility in the next two days. Also, they are fixing it out of warranty.
post #4286 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

You can get it fixed now. The boards are in stock right now. My 1007 has bee gone for a month now. Just talked to Onkyo and they say my board should be shipped to the repair facility in the next two days. Also, they are fixing it out of warranty.

Howd you get them to fix out of warranty?

post #4287 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Hi Nick, does it only happen with HDMI sources or does it happen with SPDIF sources too (if you have them, that is)?

Everything is HDMI, sorry.

post #4288 of 4724 Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Howd you get them to fix out of warranty?

Just called Onkyo and complained. You have to sit on hold for awhile though.
post #4289 of 4724 Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

She might be dying the slow death, im getting a momentary buzz out of the speakers when changing sources or when it re-negotiates HDMI handshake......

post #4290 of 4724 Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am beginning to wonder if I should sell mine now before it breaks, so far it has been absolutely trouble free! Under warranty until June, what would a barely used 3007 be worth?

Al
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page