The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4729 Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Arrrgh! Just turned on my NR-3007 and no sound form the main speakers, but interestingly the zone 2 speakers play fine...?

The main speakers show up in the config display but fail to play.

Time for a front panel reset?

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there!

Since I got some time on my hands I'm playing a little with the listening mode presets of my 3007. I got a 9.2 speaker layout (incl. front high speakers). I tried to get some knowledge out of the forum via the search function but the amount of information just gave me a headache.

So right now I describe to you what machines I'm running (in brackets how they are connected to the 3007 regarding audio) and ask of you to give me some advice on how to configure the listening modes:

1) BluRayPlayer (via HDMI) --> obviously used for BluRays and DVDs (99% movies)

2) SACD Player (via Analog 5.1) --> used for music playback from SACDs

3) CD Player (via Analog Cinch) --> used for music playback from CDs

4) Another BlurayPlayer (via HDMI) --> used 99% for TV show BluRays and DVDs

5) Digital Receiver (via optical digital) --> used for digital TV playback and replay

6) Cassette Deck (yeah I still have one of those - via Analog Cinch) --> self explained

7) Vinyl record player (same as 6.)

8) TV (via optical digital)

9) Media PC (via HDMI) BUT sound playback via m2tech hiface S/PDIF Output Interface (COAX cable) - 99% music playback from a NAS

Sorry if I take too much of your precious time with my request, but I'm loosing a little bit of focus with all the mode possibilities, so it would be great if you could push me in the right direction with some hints and tips.

Just for your information: I don't need the music from the media pc, cd player, record player or cassette deck to be sent to all speakers... in this case I would be satisfied with 2 front speakers + the 2 subwoofers.

If you need additional information please feel free to say so.

Greetz!!!
post #4413 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanyael View Post

Hi there!

Since I got some time on my hands I'm playing a little with the listening mode presets of my 3007. I got a 9.2 speaker layout (incl. front high speakers). I tried to get some knowledge out of the forum via the search function but the amount of information just gave me a headache.

So right now I describe to you what machines I'm running (in brackets how they are connected to the 3007 regarding audio) and ask of you to give me some advice on how to configure the listening modes:

1) BluRayPlayer (via HDMI) --> obviously used for BluRays and DVDs (99% movies)

2) SACD Player (via Analog 5.1) --> used for music playback from SACDs

3) CD Player (via Analog Cinch) --> used for music playback from CDs

4) Another BlurayPlayer (via HDMI) --> used 99% for TV show BluRays and DVDs

5) Digital Receiver (via optical digital) --> used for digital TV playback and replay

6) Cassette Deck (yeah I still have one of those - via Analog Cinch) --> self explained

7) Vinyl record player (same as 6.)

8) TV (via optical digital)

9) Media PC (via HDMI) BUT sound playback via m2tech hiface S/PDIF Output Interface (COAX cable) - 99% music playback from a NAS

Sorry if I take too much of your precious time with my request, but I'm loosing a little bit of focus with all the mode possibilities, so it would be great if you could push me in the right direction with some hints and tips.

Just for your information: I don't need the music from the media pc, cd player, record player or cassette deck to be sent to all speakers... in this case I would be satisfied with 2 front speakers + the 2 subwoofers.

If you need additional information please feel free to say so.

Greetz!!!

Its really very easly to setup, use the the menu.
For analog stereo you need to set Audio Adjust to this Direct>Analog>Subwoofer> ON... The default is OFF !!! This is so the sub works in all sound modes.
The Bluray Player has the most variables, so just set the output to the best / highest level of input for each one.
The listening mode presets do work well, but at times you will need to change them on the fly. Also the Bluray Player may not always default to the best output with each disc, that will need to be changed as needed.... So don't let it drive you crazy..
post #4414 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 AM

Hi joehonest! Thanx for your reply.

Actually I'm kinda referring to the first page of this thread, where it states:
"
- 5. Listening Mode Preset, select your favourite listening mode for each input depending on type of input sound format, such as these
for movies/TV:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) PL II Movie or Neural THX Movie
Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus: (any Dolby signal except 2.0) Dolby Digital or THX Cinema
DTS/DTS High resolution Audio: (DTS) DTS or THX Cinema
D.F. 2ch: (for 2.0 Dolby/DTS sources) Neural THX Movie or PL II THX Cinema
D.F. Mono: (for 1.0 digital sources) Full Mono or TV Logic
Dolby TrueHD: (via HDMI) Dolby TrueHD or THX Cinema
DTS-HD Master Audio: (via HDMI) Master Audio or THX Cinema
for Music:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) THX Music or Stereo
Multich PCM: (PCM via HDMI) Multich
DSD: (via HDMI) DSD
"
I'm a little confused where to leave the original sound format and where to "pump up" to 9.2, i.e. would it be a sound configuration to go something like this:

- for movies/TV:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
DTS/DTS High resolution Audio: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
D.F. 2ch: (for 2.0 Dolby/DTS sources) PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
D.F. Mono: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
Dolby TrueHD: (via HDMI) Dolby TrueHD or PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX ???
DTS-HD Master Audio: (via HDMI) Master Audio or PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX ???
for Music:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) Stereo with music optimizer "ON"

Really, right now I can't get a good grip on all these concepts...
post #4415 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Hi joehonest! Thanx for your reply.

Actually I'm kinda referring to the first page of this thread, where it states:
"
- 5. Listening Mode Preset, select your favourite listening mode for each input depending on type of input sound format, such as these
for movies/TV:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) PL II Movie or Neural THX Movie
Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus: (any Dolby signal except 2.0) Dolby Digital or THX Cinema
DTS/DTS High resolution Audio: (DTS) DTS or THX Cinema
D.F. 2ch: (for 2.0 Dolby/DTS sources) Neural THX Movie or PL II THX Cinema
D.F. Mono: (for 1.0 digital sources) Full Mono or TV Logic
Dolby TrueHD: (via HDMI) Dolby TrueHD or THX Cinema
DTS-HD Master Audio: (via HDMI) Master Audio or THX Cinema
for Music:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) THX Music or Stereo
DSD: (via HDMI) DSD
"
I'm a little confused where to leave the original sound format and where to "pump up" to 9.2, i.e. would it be a sound configuration to go something like this:

- for movies/TV:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
DTS/DTS High resolution Audio: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
D.F. 2ch: (for 2.0 Dolby/DTS sources) PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
D.F. Mono: PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX
Dolby TrueHD: (via HDMI) Dolby TrueHD or PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX ???
DTS-HD Master Audio: (via HDMI) Master Audio or PL IIx Movie Audyssey DSX ???
for Music:
Analog/PCM: (any analog or PCM signal) Stereo with music optimizer "ON"

Really, right now I can't get a good grip on all these concepts...

IMO it has a lot to do with taste. I think some extra processing will use heights but only PLIIx DSX uses the wides in 9channel format so I normally use PLIIx Movie Audyssey DSX for everything except Music which I prefer all channels Stereo.
post #4416 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still with a 5.2 speaker setup, soon will be adding highs for a 7.2 setup. So I can't tell you what sound modes work best with your 9.2 setup. You should post in 3/5009 thread, the 3007 works the same way as the 3009. There is much more feedback in the 3/5009 thread, as the 3007 is getting old...
post #4417 of 4729 Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Thanks again for the advice... I think I'll go with NicksHitachi and keep PLIIx Movie Audyssey DSX for everything except Music. Btw, that's what I've been doing up 'til now... Just for curiosity I'll take a look at the 3009 thread.
post #4418 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 AM

After trying to apply the aforementioned settings to the 3007 I noticed something strange: I can't get a sub signal if I try Pure Audio or Direct for my MediaPC input (sound playback via m2tech hiface S/PDIF Output Interface via COAX cable). The receiver shows a PCM input and a 2.0 stereo output.

Every other analog input (CD or vinyl) functions normally - there I can get sound to the subs in Pure Audio or Direct.

And YES, I HAVE activated the sub output in the "Direct" Menu.

Do you have any idea why my 3007 is behaving this way?

--EDIT--
Could it be that I misunderstood something here? If I put the Direct/Analog/Subwoofer OPTION to "ON", does it mean that my subsignals are put out through my front speakers and not the subs OR does it mean that I have the bass output through the subs?
post #4419 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

After trying to apply the aforementioned settings to the 3007 I noticed something strange: I can't get a sub signal if I try Pure Audio or Direct for my MediaPC input (sound playback via m2tech hiface S/PDIF Output Interface via COAX cable). The receiver shows a PCM input and a 2.0 stereo output.

Every other analog input (CD or vinyl) functions normally - there I can get sound to the subs in Pure Audio or Direct.

And YES, I HAVE activated the sub output in the "Direct" Menu.

Do you have any idea why my 3007 is behaving this way?

--EDIT--
Could it be that I misunderstood something here? If I put the Direct/Analog/Subwoofer OPTION to "ON", does it mean that my subsignals are put out through my front speakers and not the subs OR does it mean that I have the bass output through the subs?

There is a setting in there for direct to either use a sub or not, i believe not is default.
post #4420 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 AM

But what exactly does ON/OFF in this menu (Direct/Analog/Subwoofer) mean?

And why is ONLY the input of my MediaPC without subwoofer?

Questions over questions... (...should have been better to leave everything as it was and not dig too deep into this stuff...)
post #4421 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^
Your in digital mode with that input. For the sub to be active, the main speakers need to be set to small (40hz or higher) not full band, in Pure Audio or Direct mode.
post #4422 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Does that mean that every digital input on my 3007 at the moment does not use the subs? And that I have to set my main speakers to small and do the audyssey measurement all over again ????

Or can I set them to small only for the MediaPC input?
post #4423 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

DoubleBass is not active in the Pure Audio or Direct modes. No need to rerun audyssey in this case. If the speakers are set to Full Band than the subs will only output the LFE channel with a digital input.
post #4424 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 AM

O.K., just to get this sorted out: For the sub to be active with a digital input & Pure Audio or Direct, the crossover frequency of the main speakers hast to be set at 40 Hz or higher.

BUT in my setup the crossover frequency of every speaker has been set to 80 Hz.

That should enable the sub with my digital Pure Audio/Direct setting.

Or does the crossover frequency have to be set for EVERY listening mode or input source?
post #4425 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

O.K., just to get this sorted out: For the sub to be active with a digital input & Pure Audio or Direct, the crossover frequency of the main speakers hast to be set at 40 Hz or higher.

BUT in my setup the crossover frequency of every speaker has been set to 80 Hz.

That should enable the sub with my digital Pure Audio/Direct setting.

You should be good with the way its set, at 80hz. The sub should be active all the time with every input.
post #4426 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM

At least ONE thing I understand at the moment...

But why do I get no sub when I put my MediaPC source to Pure Audio/Direct - only with Stereo?

Could it have something with the PCM signal from the MediaPC device?
post #4427 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM

To get further behind the mystery I looked up the tech specs of my MediaPC output device. There it states the output as "Output S/PDIF Stereo Digital Audio Format". Perhaps this info is helping a little bit...
post #4428 of 4729 Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Last night I tested further... The result: with every digital input there are no subs if I switch the listening mode to Pure Audio/Direct. Analog works fine --> there you see the subs in Pure Audio/Direct.

Is this normal? Or am I missing something really important?

Btw, the sound quality in PLIIx Music DSX is simply mindblowing: I watched the first hour of the 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts BluRay... the precision, details, bass, overall dynamics and "stageness" of the sound left my mouth open and drooling...
post #4429 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I just checked all the sound modes in analog and digital, with all speakers @ 80hz, LFE @ 120. The sub icon was lite in every sound mode. So i don't know what your problem might be. At one time in analog I had the same problem, but the Direct>Analog>Subwoofer>ON fixed the analog with the Pure and Direct modes..
We must be overlooking something, I don't think you have a hardware problem, its got to be user error, I'm working on it.

Hi there joehonest and THANK YOU for staying with me in this... I once again checked everything yesterday night... crossover is at 80 hz and LFE at 120... this really is getting on my nerves...
post #4430 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi there joehonest and THANK YOU for staying with me in this... I once again checked everything yesterday night... crossover is at 80 hz and LFE at 120... this really is getting on my nerves...

I just REchecked all the sound modes in analog and digital, with all speakers @ 80hz, LFE @ 120. The sub icon was lite in every analog sound mode. In digital mode the sub icon was not lite with a stereo input (2.0) only, in Pure and Direct mode.. You need a active LFE channel for the sub to be active..
I don't think you have a hardware problem. My onkyo seems to work the same way, so your good..
post #4431 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 AM

O.K., so this means I get no subwoofer signal in digital PURE AUDIO... hmm, don't know what to make of it... but why then in analog?

I looked up the available speaker layout tables in the manual - and there it shows for every pure audio that the available speakers are at least FL, FR, SWL, SWR...

Guess I just have to use STEREO or leave out the subs if listening to my NAS music.

Btw joehonest, what mode do you use if you listen to digital music?

Anyone else out there with the same predicament?
post #4432 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

O.K., so this means I get no subwoofer signal in digital PURE AUDIO... hmm, don't know what to make of it... but why then in analog?

And digital Direct, no sub if there is NO LFE channel, I don't know why, just that it is that way. I have my mains @80hz, I'm going to check out if they go to full range when the sub not active, my fronts are full range speakers so its ok for me to turn them up. In the past I only used PURE for my CD player (2.0 stereo) which uses analog input only thus the sub is active. All my other sources are played in one of the THX digital 5.1 modes. So the no sub in digital pure or digital direct in 2 channel mode is not a real problem, if you have FULL range main speakers.
post #4433 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, good news, in digital pure and digital direct mode when the sub is deactivated the mains/fronts become full range even if there set @ 80hz in the menu. This all makes good sense, and nothing is lossed.... But you will need to be very careful if your mains/fronts are the limited range paperweight type of speaker!!!
post #4434 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 AM

That's really good news... I use "grown-up towers" as main fronts so I really have nothing to fear...

Then it's just a personal decision to either use PURE AUDIO and keep the subs "OFF" or STEREO and switch ON the subs.

And you are sure that in the case of going to PURE AUDIO in digital stereo and back to other modes I have nothing else to switch manually? That would simplify things...
post #4435 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In digital pure and digital direct mode the sub will always be deactivated if there is NO LFE channel in the source and the mains will become full range only in those 2 modes, if they were set to small in the speaker menu.
Digital pure and digital direct modes will output the same 2.1/5.1/7.1 with active sub if the input is a multi channel digital source (dd and dts).

In analog pure and analog direct mode you can chose between sub ON/OFF in the Direct/Analog/Subwoofer menu.
So not to worry, as you cycle around all the sound modes the mains will also cycle between large and small if there set to small in the speaker menu.

PURE AUDIO is the "straight wire with gain concept" its the cleanest and shortest route between input to output, In this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity reproduction. (As the video circuitry is turned off, only video signals input through HDMI IN can be output).

I just look over the manaul, its not 100% clear about the sub being deactivated in digital Pure/Direct mode, it just notes things like,"The listening modes cannot be selected with some source formats".

So we both learned somthing new.. I hope this clears things up for you..
post #4436 of 4729 Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Another mystery solved... BIG THANKS to you, pal!!!
post #4437 of 4729 Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bought my 3007 in fall of 2009, so I'm SOL with the warranty. Last night, I noticed the audio and video being way out of sync first, then I noticed the controls (volume, etc) were no longer being displayed on the screen. Thinking it was a minor glitch I turned off the projector and switched over to my plasma. Turned the AVR off then on. worked fine for about a minute then the screen froze up. Sound kept on playing, but the screen was just sitting there, jerking like it was having seizure. That's when I noticed my external cooling fans weren't on

I use a cooling setup from cooler guys, two fans directly on the AVR and one at the top of the cabinet to exhaust. I guess one of the power leads came loose. I fixed that problem, but I'm afraid I cooked my 3007.

If I let it cool off (overnight) and turn it back on it works for about a minute but then freezes up again. Once it freezes up I can't do anything, the screen goes blank if I change inputs or resolution, or anything else. A quick power cycle doesn't help, it has to cool off to work. Tried a factory reset, no dice.

Funny, the HDMI passthrough still works when it's in standby. I'm waiting for a call back from Onkyo. Does this sound like an HDMI board issue? Any chance they'd let me swap it out or do I have to send it in. There is an 'authorized' repair store about an hour away from me, one of those hole in the wall electronics stores, otherwise I have to ship to NJ which I'm dreading.

Looking back a few pages, I see some guys are getting their boards swapped out even after the warranty has expired. How'd you pull that off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4438 of 4729 Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

Bought my 3007 in fall of 2009, so I'm SOL with the warranty. Last night, I noticed the audio and video being way out of sync first, then I noticed the controls (volume, etc) were no longer being displayed on the screen. Thinking it was a minor glitch I turned off the projector and switched over to my plasma. Turned the AVR off then on. worked fine for about a minute then the screen froze up. Sound kept on playing, but the screen was just sitting there, jerking like it was having seizure. That's when I noticed my external cooling fans weren't on

I use a cooling setup from cooler guys, two fans directly on the AVR and one at the top of the cabinet to exhaust. I guess one of the power leads came loose. I fixed that problem, but I'm afraid I cooked my 3007.

If I let it cool off (overnight) and turn it back on it works for about a minute but then freezes up again. Once it freezes up I can't do anything, the screen goes blank if I change inputs or resolution, or anything else. A quick power cycle doesn't help, it has to cool off to work. Tried a factory reset, no dice.

Funny, the HDMI passthrough still works when it's in standby. I'm waiting for a call back from Onkyo. Does this sound like an HDMI board issue? Any chance they'd let me swap it out or do I have to send it in. There is an 'authorized' repair store about an hour away from me, one of those hole in the wall electronics stores, otherwise I have to ship to NJ which I'm dreading.

Looking back a few pages, I see some guys are getting their boards swapped out even after the warranty has expired. How'd you pull that off?

I got my board replaced by just asking and they authorized a one time out of warranty repair. It was very simple except at the time they were out of boards so total time from call to repair was about 5 weeks with me taking it to my local repair center. Good luck.
post #4439 of 4729 Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They told me today that it's not the same 'no audio' problem everyone else is having so I don't get any exceptions. So it's off to the local 'authorized' joe-blow electronics store about an hour from here. that or pay shipping to NJ. Been looking at receivers today and I can't replicate what I had in the 3007 for less than $2k (7.1 rear surrounds plus zone 2 stereo, THX Certified, 2 hdmi, discrete power supply, 4ohms, etc). I paid $1399 for my 3007 from newegg. I guess you get what you pay for. Here's to hoping the repair isn't too brutal. been eyeing some of the denons and their 3 year warranties...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4440 of 4729 Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

They told me today that it's not the same 'no audio' problem everyone else is having so I don't get any exceptions. So it's off to the local 'authorized' joe-blow electronics store about an hour from here. that or pay shipping to NJ. Been looking at receivers today and I can't replicate what I had in the 3007 for less than $2k (7.1 rear surrounds plus zone 2 stereo, THX Certified, 2 hdmi, discrete power supply, 4ohms, etc). I paid $1399 for my 3007 from newegg. I guess you get what you pay for. Here's to hoping the repair isn't too brutal. been eyeing some of the denons and their 3 year warranties...

For what it's worth, I tried the Denon 4311ci while my 1007 was in the shop but I could not wait for my 1007 to be fixed. For me, the Onkyo has a much better soundstage. The Denon was flat and my speakers(Def Tech 7001's) became very localized. The Denon was sent back. YMMV
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page