The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never mind...I re-ran it and now it's showing up for all steps... Hell, now the center is louder than all the rest during the calibration...Hope that's normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Never mind...I re-ran it and now it's showing up for all steps... Hell, now the center is louder than all the rest during the calibration...Hope that's normal?

I haven’t had it happen with my 3007 but several times when I ran my older Denon 2807 if the receiver mic didn’t “hear” the test tone well enough because the signal reaching it either wasn’t strong enough or wasn’t clear enough over any background noise then it would increase the SPL of the signal to get a better reading. Not sure if that’s what’s happening in your case.

As long at the final result sounds good I wouldn’t worry about it. However, if you haven’t already do whatever you can to eliminate background noise while running the setup. I’ve found that even my refrigerator in the next room can skew the results.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #453 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Well. unfortunately, My receiver keeps shutting itself off during the course of the movies...Why is this happening?
post #454 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Well. unfortunately, My receiver keeps shutting itself off during the course of the movies...Why is this happening?

If you haven’t already you might want to check the sleep timer just to make sure it didn’t accidentally get set.

Is the receiver in a well ventilated area and/or are you playing very loud? It’s possible the amp protection circuit is activating but I wouldn’t expect this with reasonably normal use. For example I shut mine down on purpose to see how much it could take before deciding to keep it. I played Goa Trance (rapid hard bass beat) for 1/2 hour at 100dB average in all channel stereo and then for another 1 1/2 in 2.0 full range with 4 ohm speakers at 100dB average at 11 feet away w/o shutting it down. I then bumped it up to 105dB and it shut down after 5 more minutes. My equipment rack is open but has no additional ventilation.

On one of these x007 threads someone posted how to display the temperature. If you think it is overheating you may want to find that and check for yourself. As a quick check you can put your hand over the amp section (hottest part). When I got mine to shut down it was hot but not to hot to hold my hand against the top of the case. Also if you already suspect it’s not getting adequate cooling you could try improving that to see if it helps.

Also you might want to double check all your speaker connections just to make sure nothing is shorting out. Not likely or it shouldn’t even start but you never know.

There is a test in the troubleshooting part of the manual that might tell you if its improperly going into protect mode. It’s recommended for when the receiver shuts down immediately on startup but if it fails that test or you are sure it’s not overheating I would contact your dealer or Onkyo whichever is appropriate as you may have a defective unit.

post #455 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 PM

I have a colorspace issue with my NR3007 which is connected to a Pioneer KRP 600m through HDMI. Originally the Pioneer was set to YCC 444 colorspace and everything worked normally. After having the Pioneer calibrated, the Pioneer colorspace was set to RGB 16-235 which provided better color detail. Now all the Onkyo menus, and the Onkyo opening screen, are magenta. How do I force the Onkyo to output in RGB colorspace? I hope to avoid a reset of the receiver, assuming that would work.

john
post #456 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

If you haven’t already you might want to check the sleep timer just to make sure it didn’t accidentally get set.

Is the receiver in a well ventilated area and/or are you playing very loud? It’s possible the amp protection circuit is activating but I wouldn’t expect this with reasonably normal use. For example I shut mine down on purpose to see how much it could take before deciding to keep it. I played Goa Trance (rapid hard bass beat) for 1/2 hour at 100dB average in all channel stereo and then for another 1 1/2 in 2.0 full range with 4 ohm speakers at 100dB average at 11 feet away w/o shutting it down. I then bumped it up to 105dB and it shut down after 5 more minutes. My equipment rack is open but has no additional ventilation.

On one of these x007 threads someone posted how to display the temperature. If you think it is overheating you may want to find that and check for yourself. As a quick check you can put your hand over the amp section (hottest part). When I got mine to shut down it was hot but not to hot to hold my hand against the top of the case. Also if you already suspect it’s not getting adequate cooling you could try improving that to see if it helps.

Also you might want to double check all your speaker connections just to make sure nothing is shorting out. Not likely or it shouldn’t even start but you never know.

There is a test in the troubleshooting part of the manual that might tell you if its improperly going into protect mode. It’s recommended for when the receiver shuts down immediately on startup but if it fails that test or you are sure it’s not overheating I would contact your dealer or Onkyo whichever is appropriate as you may have a defective unit.

I think it is as you say....The Amp protection mode...But this pisses me off. With my Pioneer Elite I could leave my movies very loud (+2 or 3) and it never got real hot or shut down, but with this unit, if I play even at 0 it will get hot and shut down... I have 8" of space between the receiver and the top of the next shelf.
post #457 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I think it is as you say....The Amp protection mode...But this pisses me off. With my Pioneer Elite I could leave my movies very loud (+2 or 3) and it never got real hot or shut down, but with this unit, if I play even at 0 it will get hot and shut down... I have 8" of space between the receiver and the top of the next shelf.

I almost always play movies, games and music on 0 using the standard levels determined by the auto setup/calibration, occasionally I turn it down because it’s to loud. But even playing for 15 + hours straight I’ve never had a shutdown. Sounds like their might be something wrong with your unit. Can you hear if the fans are coming on?

If you don’t have the option to return or exchange it there are some posts in one of these x007 threads detailing how to attach multiple cooling fans to pull air through it.

I hear what you’re saying about this running hot. I knew Onkyos ran hot and compared to my older Denon it sure does. I never got my Denon to shut down because it started to sound like crap when I turned it up loud enough to test it. I’ll give this 3007 credit for sounding good even at 105dB right up to when it shut down.

post #458 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Yes, the verdict is in....(The unit is going back). I don't think there is anything wrong with it...Just a bad design...THE UNIT GETS TOO FRICKIN HOT! What the hell is wrong with Onkyo?. How could they make such a great receiver, with so many awesome features, and then blow it with amps that run too hot?....I cannot believe how frickin hot the top of the unit gets. With my Pioneer, I could put the blu-ray player right on top of the receiver and no problems...With this Onkyo, I have the blu-ray player 10 inchs above the receiver and it's too hot! I was upgrading from a Pioneer Elite 94 Guess I'll be ordering the new SC-27 instead....Too bad, cause I really like everything about the Onkyo, except the overheating amps...
post #459 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:

I almost always play movies, games and music on 0 using the standard levels determined by the auto setup/calibration, occasionally I turn it down because it's to loud. But even playing for 15 + hours straight I've never had a shutdown. Sounds like their might be something wrong with your unit. Can you hear if the fans are coming on?

If you don't have the option to return or exchange it there are some posts in one of these x007 threads detailing how to attach multiple cooling fans to pull air through it.

I hear what you're saying about this running hot. I knew Onkyos ran hot and compared to my older Denon it sure does. I never got my Denon to shut down because it started to sound like crap when I turned it up loud enough to test it. I'll give this 3007 credit for sounding good even at 105dB right up to when it shut down.

I don't hear any fans running on it...didn't know it even had them. I will investigate further......
post #460 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:

I don't hear any fans running on it...didn't know it even had them. I will investigate further......

I might be mistaken but I thought I'd read here that it had a fan with several different speeds some of which people have complained about being audible. However, I could be mistaking it with something else.

post #461 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, the verdict is in....(The unit is going back). I don't think there is anything wrong with it...Just a bad design...THE UNIT GETS TOO FRICKIN HOT! What the hell is wrong with Onkyo?. How could they make such a great receiver, with so many awesome features, and then blow it with amps that run too hot?....I cannot believe how frickin hot the top of the unit gets. With my Pioneer, I could put the blu-ray player right on top of the receiver and no problems...With this Onkyo, I have the blu-ray player 10 inchs above the receiver and it's too hot! I was upgrading from a Pioneer Elite 94 Guess I'll be ordering the new SC-27 instead....Too bad, cause I really like everything about the Onkyo, except the overheating amps...

When I bought mine the sales person asked me about ventilation, as running hot is a common theme for Onkyo and Integra.

post #462 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:

When I bought mine the sales person asked me about ventilation, as running hot is a common theme for Onkyo and Integra.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that anyone could accept this problem. Onkyo will lose alot of sales because of this....Pioneer Elite...Forgive me for leaving you...
post #463 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Onkyo 805 that runs hot as well. To be more specific, I have an 805 that has been running hot and performing absolutely flawlessly for 2.5 years. I have about 6 inches of space between the top of the receiver and the next shelf on my rack. The manual recommends 8". I have never owned or used a fan with the receiver. Follow the instructions in the manual (i.e. give the unit proper ventilation) and it should be okay.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm also "breaking the rules" by using the 6 ohm speaker setting, yet 5 of my 7 speakers are 4 ohm. Also should mention that I seldom run the receiver louder than -8 Reference except for short demo sequences.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is a mini how-to.
Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #464 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

I have an Onkyo 805 that runs hot as well. To be more specific, I have an 805 that has been running hot and performing absolutely flawlessly for 2.5 years. I have about 6 inches of space between the top of the receiver and the next shelf on my rack. The manual recommends 8". I have never owned or used a fan with the receiver. Follow the instructions in the manual (i.e. give the unit proper ventilation) and it should be okay.

I bought the TX-SR503 back in 2006 and never once thought about heat until I read about it in these forums. I was listening to music and put my hand on it and it was burning hot.

I fixed the problem by never putting my hand on it again. I use the same method with my new 807...
post #465 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabro View Post

I bought the TX-SR503 back in 2006 and never once thought about heat until I read about it in these forums. I was listening to music and put my hand on it and it was burning hot.

I fixed the problem by never putting my hand on it again. I use the same method with my new 807...

I don't have a problem with it getting hot. The problem is shutting down...If I play it any louder than -12 or so, it will eventually shut down.
post #466 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

I don't have a problem with it getting hot. The problem is shutting down...If I play it any louder than -12 or so, it will eventually shut down.

I know - I was being a smartass, but I'd bet a replacement unit would not have the same problem. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything unreasonable and if all Onkyo's shut down under that stress then we would all have returned them by now..
post #467 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Onkyo's running hot: I have used a computer fan sitting on the top of mine, starting with the 805 and now with the 1007. Simple to implement, totally quiet, and does the job.
post #468 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

From my experience Dolby PLIIx + DSX in Movie Mode is not selectable if height speakers are hooked up during calibration. As you have found Dolby Digital EX is available in music and AFAIK in gaming mode when height channels are present.

If height speakers are changed to None in the menu then Dolby PLIIx + DSX becomes available in Music and Gaming Modes but not Movie. Otherwise with height speakers enabled Dolby defaults to PLIIz which prevents the selection of DSX.

For a while I only had wide not height speakers hooked up and I believe, but don't quote me on this, that PLIIx + DSX was available in Movie Mode when height speakers were not hooked up during the auto setup calibration procedure. However, there are so many different combinations of modes they're all starting to blend together in my head.

Just a note. Before I hooked any height and wide speakers I compared PLIIx and Neo 6 on my 3007 and found that I liked the surround back channels created by Neo 6 more than PLIIx. I note this because my experience with my Denon 2807 was the opposite with PLIIx being preferable to Neo 6. Not sure why there would be a difference but with the 3007 Neo 6 was noticeably better at reproducing directional sounds from the back speakers.

I have compared 'Dobly EX DSX' and 'Neo 6 DSX' very extensively on a variety of 5.1 HDTV sources, putting my ears up to the Width speakers and also to the Sur Back speakers. I find very little difference between the two, and like them very much.

Again, I get 'PLIIx DSX' only from HDTV 2.0 sources. In fact, I think this is sensible, since ProLogic is a system that enhances Stereo sources and outputs audio to 5.1 speaker systems (for PLII) and 7.1 (PLIIx) systems. DSX then adds the Width or Height speakers.
post #469 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 PM

The temp on my 5007 is around 127 degrees F (if the built in thermometer is correct)...is there a way to reset the temp at which the unit will shut down?...or can one by-pass this shut down mode?...I would like to be able to push this unit harder without it shutting down. Like maybe add a fan underneath blowing upwards through the unit as well as setting the temp a few degrees higher before it shuts down.
post #470 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I have compared 'Dobly EX DSX' and 'Neo 6 DSX' very extensively on a variety of 5.1 HDTV sources, putting my ears up to the Width speakers and also to the Sur Back speakers. I find very little difference between the two, and like them very much.

Again, I get 'PLIIx DSX' only from HDTV 2.0 sources. In fact, I think this is sensible, since ProLogic is a system that enhances Stereo sources and outputs audio to 5.1 speaker systems (for PLII) and 7.1 (PLIIx) systems. DSX then adds the Width or Height speakers.

PLIIx will up-convert stereo, Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1. Prior to hooking up my wide and height speakers I used it extensively listening to all sorts of 5.1 sources in both 6.1 and 7.1. After hooking up the wide PLIIx is no longer available in Movie/TV mode in which case PLIIz takes it's place. The PLIIz in turn doesn't allow the DSX capability because it's already creating the height channels. I looks to me like PLIIx in Movie/TV and Gaming modes is disabled after height speakers have been calibrated. I'm only guessing bu the assumption is probably that no one with height speakers would use only PLIIx for movies or games. However PLIIx remains available in Music mode probably because testing showed that not everyone would want to use it for music.

AFAIR when I only had wide and not height speakers calibrated PLIIx was still available in Movie/TV and gaming modes but I've had a few beers since then so the memory may be faulty.

I'm not sure why your getting very similar back channel performance from both Dolby Digital EX and Neo:6. Is designed to pull matrixed information out of 5.1 sources to create the rear channel(s) whereas Neo:6 and PLIIx do it without the matrixed information. Perhaps EX defaults back to PLIIx when EX encoded material is not available. On my old Denon EX was not even available if the source wasn't encoded for it and it seems to be available on everything I'm watching on the Onkyo. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if it's ever not available on 5.1 sources.

I'm posting a few links for any lurkers new to this so they will have a better idea what we're talking about.

Here's what Dolby says about EX:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...igital-ex.html

Although this is old it's still a good explanation of the formats:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ix-3-2004.html

And then there's always Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

post #471 of 4729 Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:

The temp on my 5007 is around 127 degrees F (if the built in thermometer is correct)...is there a way to reset the temp at which the unit will shut down?...or can one by-pass this shut down mode?...I would like to be able to push this unit harder without it shutting down. Like maybe add a fan underneath blowing upwards through the unit as well as setting the temp a few degrees higher before it shuts down.

This page has a discussion of using cooling fans:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...kyo+fan&page=5

There’s much more info on the forum about different ways of doing it just do and advanced search for Onkyo and fan.

However, it still sounds like there’s something wrong with your unit. As others have said, they run hot but they still should run. Unless you are really nuts you are not listening to movies at and average of 100dB for 2 hours. My 3007 survived playing very bass intense (I’m talking 140 beats/minute) music for that long w/o shutting down and with no additional ventilation.

Heres a quote from the above thread which also indicates to me there is something wrong with your unit. You might also want to post your fan question in that thread or PM CBdicX as it seems he really knows what he’s talking about when it comes to Onkyos and heat issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Think your 3007 is getting to warm as the fans only will start at higher heat levels, and have 3 speed settings, low, middle and high.
I tried the fans on a 876 (same setup) to get them to work with a hairblower pointed to the heat sensor.
If i remember correct the low speed will start at 65-70 C. middle will start at 70-75 C. and the high speed above 75 C.

So your 3007 is getting warm / hot................

I use 9 (yes 9 !) 12cm NB fans on top of the 3007 and this gives me a working temp between the 24 and 27 C.
I like electronics to be cool........
The 9 Noise Blocker fans are NOT audible !!

See picture of my 876 with the same fan setup.

post #472 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
[quote=rickardl;17442982]

Temperature
Yes, they do get kind of hot! Leave plenty of room for the unit.
On the front panel, press down 'DISPLAY' and keep it pressed down while
pressing 'Standby', release both buttons and then press 'TONE' to display
V:000 F:x S:L
T:037
not sure about the meaning.
Press down 'DISPLAY' and keep it pressed down while
pressing 'Standby', release both buttons and then press 'SETUP'
(US models show Farenheit instead of Celsius)
34°C 23 B1
02:00 68h

When I try this on my 3007, I get "Not Available" on my display on the unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Roger

post #473 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is there a way to boost Dialog other than just increasing the center channel level ?
post #474 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post

Is there a way to boost Dialog other than just increasing the center channel level ?

I just calibrated this myself about an hour ago...What I did was decrease all the other channels to compensate as well as turning up the level a little on the center...
post #475 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM

Well, I wanted to let folks know that the receiver shutting down problem I have is "not" due to heating issues...It does it even when the unit is cold (first turned on)...seems to only shut down with blu-ray movies that have dense DTS-HD MA or equivalent sound tracks...If I push the unit past zero, it will shut down...also I now see what folks are talking about with the Directv clicking between comercials and such...Kind of sucks... I have the exact same speaker set up as I did with my Pioneer Elite 94 (140 WPC) and with that unit, it never shut down even if I pushed it well beyond zero....damn it, I really love the features on the Onkyo, but too many little things are killing the sale for me...
post #476 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
time for a denon 4810. g oing to call onkyo on monday and have them issue me a letter head which will allow me to get my money back feom frys. this is my third unit and im doing playing ****ing guine pig. ill let u know how that conversation goes tomorrow.

My HT / Family Room:

Calibration Settings for my Samsung HL67A750:

post #477 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post

Sometimes on BD the "dialog"' will be boosted, seen it happen on several BD and sure about Spiderman III......
So its a thing of the disk itself, not the Onkyo.
post #478 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Can you have one of the HDMI outputs set to pass-through?...I want to have the sound go to an external 1080P display as well as the video.
post #479 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

time for a denon 4810. g oing to call onkyo on monday and have them issue me a letter head which will allow me to get my money back feom frys. this is my third unit and im doing playing ****ing guine pig. ill let u know how that conversation goes tomorrow.

I do understand your frustration, but bying a 4810 for more then $3000.....
post #480 of 4729 Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you have one of the HDMI outputs set to pass-through?...I want to have the sound go to an external 1080P display as well as the video.

Yes you can, go to the Monitor Out Setup and use Through.
Or go to Source Setup and use Picture Adjust and put it also to Through.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page