The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4729 Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarslouder View Post

i have the 3007 model and iv noticed that iv had to turn my volume up between 70 and 80. Is this normal? I have it set to 4 ohm and I have a 5.1 set up with my 2 front towers being polk audio lsi 25. I have the volume setting to absolute reading. Does 80 seem to be too high to have to turn the volume up and has anyone else had this problem.

Thats almost full power......
Think in absolute the volume will go to a max of around 90 before getting MAX in the display, so this is not normal.
I get for standard use not higher then 25-35, for movie 40-50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4729 Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

i have the 3007 model and iv noticed that iv had to turn my volume up between 70 and 80. Is this normal? I have it set to 4 ohm and I have a 5.1 set up with my 2 front towers being polk audio lsi 25. I have the volume setting to absolute reading. Does 80 seem to be too high to have to turn the volume up and has anyone else had this problem.

The LSIs are very inefficient. Could that be the problem? Most have to buy a external amp to drive them. They aren't really best suited for HT.

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #543 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Thats almost full power......
Think in absolute the volume will go to a max of around 90 before getting MAX in the display, so this is not normal.
I get for standard use not higher then 25-35, for movie 40-50.

Max absolute is 100 (displayed as Max).
The absolute value 82 is equivalent to the relative value 0 dB.
So 80 should be kind of loud.
post #544 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post

I get the exact same message when I do that procedure on my 3007 -- I did do an online up-date to the firmware when I got the unit a couple of weeks ago. I am curious about the temperature because the unit shut off a few times, which I was thinking my be due to temperature. Post a note if you figure it out.

Odd. I just tested it again with my 3007 and it worked.

Temperature
Yes, they do get kind of hot! Leave plenty of room for the unit.
On the front panel, press down [Display] and keep it pressed down while pressing [Standby], release both buttons at the same time and then press [Tone] to display
V:000 F:x S:L
T:037
presseing [Tone] again dispays
VOLH: . V
pressting [Tone] toggles back.
not sure about the meaning except T:037 is temp. F Fan? S:L Speed Low?

Press down [Display] and keep it pressed down while pressing [Standby], release both buttons at the same time and then press [SETUP] (US models show Farenheit instead of Celsius)
37°C 8. 24
00:20 341h

00:20 seems to the time, incremented 10 minutes interval, the unit has been powered on this time.
341h seems to the time the unit has been powered on ever?
post #545 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Depending on the source dynamic volume can make material do this to me. That is something to look at.
post #546 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Max absolute is 100 (displayed as Max).
The absolute value 82 is equivalent to the relative value 0 dB.
So 80 should be kind of loud.

If a user uses Intelli volume you will not get the full 100, it will drop to around 90 and then you will see MAX in the display.........
post #547 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Here a PDF file i found on the internet explaining how to solve the Audio dropout issues with the 1007.
I do not know if this will be the same for the other x007 models, but why not....
See JPG
LL
post #548 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Anyone else using the 3007 or 5007 with a Lumagen HDP? I ask because regardless of what I set the Onkyo's video processor at (e.g., 480, 720, 1080i, 1080p, 18080p/24, source, through, etc.), my Lumagen is reading the signal coming in to the Lumagen from the Onkyo as 1080i 60fps (well 59.97, but anyway). This is true even though the Onkyo OSD shows 720p, 1080p/24, or whatever other resolution I have it set at. Since I have 4 video processors in the chain (LG BH200 with QDEO VP, Onkyo with Reon, Lumagen with its own proprietary chip, and Pioneer FPJ1/JVC RS-2 clone with Gennum VXP), I am trying to test to figure out which does the best job, but with this reporting error, I cannot confirm which processor I am using. I know that Lumagen did recognize and indicate correctly other incoming signals from my previous HDMI switch and in my prior setup, I tended to use the QDEO processor in the LG BH200. So, I would like to know if anyone else has this setup, and if so, whether they get the same error. If not, it would lead me to believe that the processor is not working correctly on the Onkyo.

That said, it does appear to be doing something, because so far the picture quality looks very good, but different than before the Onkyo was put in. It appears to me to look a bit like mild frame interpolation has been introduced by the Onkyo. I do not believe that the Onkyo has frame interpolation, but the picture I see looks similar to a "low" setting on a frame interpolating display. By that I mean, a mild soap opera effect that looks more real than film (which can be good or bad depending on taste). Motion blur (or defocusing with fast motion) on my PJ appears reduced as well. Thus, without more testing, I am tempted to leave well enough alone; however, it is in not in my nature to do so.

I will also note that while I am still tweaking the Audessey setup, the sound in my theater room during a movie is now dwarfing my 8 foot wide display. By that I mean, the sound is so big and full that it seems that it should be matched with a bigger screen. This was not the case with my prior setup (Anthem AVM30). Note, I am still using an Anthem separate 7 channel amp, so I cannot comment on the Onkyo onboard amps.

Clicks so far have been quiet and not very bothersome to me.

Control of Pandora via Harmony 880 has some issues, at least so far. The up and down arrows don't seem to work on the remote for pandora. I have not taken the Onkyo remote out of its bag yet to test, so maybe that has the same issue. Not sure yet.
post #549 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
amt

Liked: 12
I used to use have an HDP between my 5007 and FPJ1 projector, but I took it out because I think the 5007 was still doing things to the video signal, even thought I had it set to "through" both on the monitor out and the video inputs I was using. It never messed up the frame rates or resolution, but occasionally it would trigger something very weird, like letterbox mode on my HDP (?). Other times it would just cause the HDP to re-sync the signal. It got so annoying after a while that I got rid of the HDP. Maybe I should have gotten rid of the 5007 instead. There is definitely no such thing as video pass-through on this receiver! If I get a video processor again, I will have all my sources routed to the VP first, then route one of the HDMI outputs from the VP for audio only to the receiver, and the other HDMI output on the VP directly to the projector.
post #550 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

I used to use have an HDP between my 5007 and FPJ1 projector, but I took it out because I think the 5007 was still doing things to the video signal, even thought I had it set to "through" both on the monitor out and the video inputs I was using. It never messed up the frame rates or resolution, but occasionally it would trigger something very weird, like letterbox mode on my HDP (?). Other times it would just cause the HDP to re-sync the signal. It got so annoying after a while that I got rid of the HDP. Maybe I should have gotten rid of the 5007 instead. There is definitely no such thing as video pass-through on this receiver! If I get a video processor again, I will have all my sources routed to the VP first, then route one of the HDMI outputs from the VP for audio only to the receiver, and the other HDMI output on the VP directly to the projector.

Setting Resolution: Through only affects the resolution, ie no scaling.
But apparently you can turn off video processing, I have not tried it myself.
How to turn off video processing
Press [VCR/DVR] and [RETURN] buttons on the AV receiver at the same time.
Select Skip in the VideoProcessor setting by pressing the [RETURN] button repeatedly on the display.
To reset back to the original setting, press the same button at the same time.
If you select Use, the AV receiver will output video signals from the video processor.
post #551 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting. I would probably take the HDP out of the mix as well if Onkyo would enable the 11 point grayscale controle that so far is apparently unlocked only on the 5507 pre/pro. I thought that it was included in the 3007/5007 since they use the same chip and they are hyped for the ISF controls. ISF controls to me means color CMS and grayscale controls. I knew we weren't getting a full CMS, but without grayscale controls we don't have anything more than my LG BG200 has.
post #552 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Select Skip in the VideoProcessor setting by pressing the [RETURN] button repeatedly on the display.
If you select Use, the AV receiver will output video signals from the video processor.

Sweet. Thanks Rickardl. I will try this tonight.
post #553 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Sweet. Thanks Rickardl. I will try this tonight.

I can confirm that this is the only method which completely sends signal as is. I had a very similar setup as yours and finally found this option as plausible.

In search of video bliss...
post #554 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 PM

thank you guys for replying. This is my first time on this site. So just to add a little more to my situation with the onkyo 3007 model. I usually turn the volume up to 75 or 80. I have it setup with Audyssey. The speaker settings were at -3.5 for my front lsi 25. I changed the fronts to 11.5 and it made a little bit of a difference but Im still having to turn the volume up to around 60 to 70. What do you guys have your speaker settings at and what volume do you usually listen to music and movies at. PS I also have my intellivolume set to 0db.
post #555 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

thank you guys for replying. This is my first time on this site. So just to add a little more to my situation with the onkyo 3007 model. I usually turn the volume up to 75 or 80. I have it setup with Audyssey. The speaker settings were at -3.5 for my front lsi 25. I changed the fronts to 11.5 and it made a little bit of a difference but Im still having to turn the volume up to around 60 to 70. What do you guys have your speaker settings at and what volume do you usually listen to music and movies at. PS I also have my intellivolume set to 0db.

do you have a SPL meter? After Audyssey setup, my SPL is at 70-71db, and I usually change all my speakers to 75db.
post #556 of 4729 Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 PM

actually I dont have a spl meter. How is yours set up. Im actually kind of new to this, but my friend who has experience says that the intellivolume is a protection device built in. I did not read anything like that. iIt says it is only to help if other components are louder and you can equalize the system.
Thank you.
post #557 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any chance you could change your volume setting to Relative so it is easier to relate to?
Relative is much easier since we know 0dB should be reference volume.
Is there a difference if you listen to Tuner, CD or Bluray?
My trim levels are between -3.5 and -5.
My power on volume is -55dB.
Havent noted anything but I would guess that:
With Audyssey Dynamic EQ, I usually listen at -30 to -35.
With Audyssey Dynamic Volume:Light, it is more around -45 to -55.
IntelliVolume is only for adjusting sources with different levels AFAIK.

Two items that every owner should have:
- a SPL meter for diagnosing levels
- a tripod for mounting the Audyssey microphone and the SPL meter

I would not trust my analog Radio Shack SPL meter with setting absolute levels
but it is good for checking if the levels are roughly equal.
here is what I wrote earlier about SPL meters:
Some comments about using a SPL meter:
If you want to set the levels with a SPL Meter, set it to C-slow, 70dB, and to measure 75dB±2dB
with the internal test tones from the receiver at the exact same place where you placed the
microphone for the first measurement reading.
If you are using test tones from CD, make sure that MultEQ is ON and Dynamic EQ is OFF.
Also note that the meter can't give you very accurate subwoofer levels because of the sensitivity to standing waves.
SPL Meters should only be used with test tones such as narrowband noise (500 Hz to 2000 Hz) so that it is not susceptible to room effects.
The only way to get accurate subwoofer levels is with a spectrum analyzer which is why Audyssey uses a spectrum approach to determine the levels.
post #558 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The below is from the first post:

- 6-2. OSD Setup, not sure if it affects video quality/resolution like it did in the previous models but if you are
experiencing video related issues, try setting Immediate Display to Off.

Now, has anyone experienced *any* side effects of having Immediate Display enabled?
Should I remove the comment about video related issues?
post #559 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- 6-2. OSD Setup, not sure if it affects video quality/resolution like it did in the previous models but if you are

Now, has anyone experienced *any* side effects of having Immediate Display enabled?

I used to have Immediate display on, never seen any problems.
Now i have it off as i do not like to see any text in the movie when i play
with volume or other "stuff".
I also trick the wife sometimes, now see can not see me doing stuff with sound or picture
post #560 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:

I'm just starting to get used to my new 3007 and tweaking my setup, but I do notice occasional single frame break-up in the video. It's a quick flash about once every 20-30 minutes while watching. I've noticed it on diffferent sources, so it's not something source related and it's also not repeatable in the same location, so it's not video material related. I also never had this problem with the old receiver, so it's not the TV. I will try it with Immediate Display off to see if it solves the problem. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.
post #561 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also trick the wife sometimes, now see can not see me doing stuff with sound or picture

You have a very good point there!
post #562 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Has anyone tried this out? Any observable effect on PQ?
post #563 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I turned it off last night. I did not see a big difference in picture quality, but I thought I saw better motion handling with the Onkyo processing on. However, I have other scalers in the chain doing things too, so I cannot comment on how different the pq is with the Onkyo scaling off and no other scaling on. The picture quality does look pretty good to me either way, so I expect the difference between zero scaling and the Onkyo Reon scaling is significant, especially on DVDs.

As far as my misreporting error goes, last night I unplugged and re-plugged in the HDMI cables and then the Lumagen reported 1080p/24 input correctly. That said, now the Onkyo shows receipt of 1080i/60 from my LG BH200 even when the LG is sending out 1080p/24. I ran out of time to really isolate and test, but will do more this weekend.
post #564 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

So I'm once again having issues with the XBOX 360 video signal through HDMI.

The XBOX360 is sending out 1080p through HDMI. I have tried changing the resolution on the "Monitor out" area to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, through, source and I only get odd colors, mostly pure green, or a frozen image that my HDDVR last displayed.

I also change the resolution in the Source Setup >>> Picture Adjust area and it's not helping this time, like it did last night.

So I have no idea at this point. I'm now trying to power cycle the Onkyo. It hasn't done this on any other device I've connected.

So I've tried almost everything at this point. Different HDMI cable, different receiver input, different resolution settings on both HDMI out and Picture adjust. Checking straight to the TV which works fine. Resetting Onkyo. Resetting XBOX. Game mode on/off.

Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

Okay... so I did the whole skipping the video processor altogether by pressing DVR/VCR, Return, and right all together on the front of the receiver and now the signal is showing up to my TV.

So somehow it's something happening with the video processing of the XBOX 360 signal.

Does anyone else use an XBOX 360 with a 3007 here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

My Xbox 360 settings are:
Display = 1080p + Widescreen + HDMI
Reference Levels = Standard
HDMI Color Space = RGB
Display Discovery = Enabled

I've been using my 3007 with Monitor out set to Through but I just tried 1080p and Auto and they both worked fine.

Let me know if there is any particular information from my Onkyo settings you'd like to know or if there are any settings you might suspect are causing the problem and I will give it a try.

Both my old Samsung DLP and my Panasonic AE4000 work fine with all HDMI inputs being output individually or with both outputs enabled on the Onkyo.

OKay... so I finally got to try a friends XBOX 360 with HDMI out to test if it was possibly just my XBOX causing the issue @ 1080p or if it was my receiver. I tried new receiver inputs, cables, and everything else with no luck besides lowering the resolution below 1080p before I could see a picture. (Except for manually disabling the 3007s video processing, which is not a viable option)

The result: The other XBOX 360 also won't work at 1080p. It will work at all other resolutions. It has no problem with any other devices sending over 1080p.

So I guess I will contact newegg where I purchased it, and/or Onkyo and see what can be done. Definitely not acceptable and could mean something else is wrong on the video processing side of things.

Go Broncos!
post #565 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Well Don (the rep I am dealing with) Did not call me back. I called and left a message today and he did not return it.

My father has been a great help in advice. He is a retired from law enforcement and is used to dealing with this type of stuff.

It seems that drawing up papers to serve Onkyo, Media Associates, and Fry's Electronics is my last resort. Hopefully by bringing them all down and too the table they will just want to settle things before it gets any further. Only thing I need is the California address for Onkyo. Onkyo has to have a branch in the state that they sell in. So that's my first hurdle in finding the local state branch where to serve paper work.

I just want a new unit that works. I'm a week away from being with out a unit for 2 months and its my 3rd unit which is unacceptable. Don seems like he could care less how long I have been with out a unit and how greatly this interrupts things at home.

I have to be honest. Whats the point in getting my money back? I can't afford a $5,000 dollar denon that still doesn't compare to the 5007. the 5810 has some of the same features, has a little more watts, but is only 7.1 which is the big downside.

If you really really look at all the features, from the Reon chip, the 9.2, and watts, only pre/pros really compare. the denon 4810 is close but loses in the video processing and is less wattage.

Like I said, all I want is a new problem free unit. I don't think this is too much to ask. I am not going to be one of those crazy sue Americans where I want a new unit and $10,000 for time and mental damages. Just want my new working 5007. If they want to compensate me for all the crap of dealing with them on the phones and being out of a AVR for 2 months, then that's icing on the cake.

I'll let you guys know.

P.S. Hope this isn't annoying posting all this. Just allows me to vent.

My HT / Family Room:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Calibration Settings for my Samsung HL67A750:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #566 of 4729 Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

P.S. Hope this isn't annoying posting all this. Just allows me to vent.

Not at all, its good to see how you are dealing with this.
Its crazy that your 5007 is now 2 month "in repair", i do not hope this is a world wide Onkyo problem.
My 3007 is in repair after just 3 weeks and was promest a 5 to 7 day return.
Called them after 7 days with no news and guess what, this is going to take longer as they need a part they do not have in stock..........(?)
In Holland we have only a 7 day return option if the customer wants a new unit, far to short with these kind of AVR's.
So i keep my fingers crossed.
post #567 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
it is really a concern how onkyo is handling your issues. it seem as if no one who has has posted on this thread has not had some problems with these units and a lot of nonsence from onkyo.
What kind of part went wrong on your unit and what will it fix just curious. seems like waiting for a part is a common stall for either not getting to the unit yet or we do not know what is wrong and we need more time to figure it out.

post #568 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Question on connecting to the internet (to do a FW upgrade): I plugged the ethernet connection into my Comcast modem, but got an error message on the Onkyo when pressing 'upgrade'. Any suggestions? (TIA!)
post #569 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

it is really a concern how onkyo is handling your issues. it seem as if no one who has has posted on this thread has not had some problems with these units and a lot of nonsence from onkyo.
What kind of part went wrong on your unit and what will it fix just curious. seems like waiting for a part is a common stall for either not getting to the unit yet or we do not know what is wrong and we need more time to figure it out.

The 3 problems i have are:

1) A static noise in the left front speaker (only that one !)

2) I had the 876 and the Reon did a better job then in the 3007.

3) No speakers in the display, no sound and no picture any more, obvious this is the biggest problem.

3007 is just 3 weeks old

I called Onkyo and they told me they needit a HDMI mainboard, and this was not in stock, they have to get it from Onkyo Europe (Germany)........
post #570 of 4729 Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

The 3 problems i have are:

1) A static noise in the left front speaker (only that one !)

2) I had the 876 and the Reon did a better job then in the 3007.

3) No speakers in the display, no sound and no picture any more, obvious this is the biggest problem.

3007 is just 3 weeks old

I called Onkyo and they told me they needit a HDMI mainboard, and this was not in stock, they have to get it from Onkyo Europe (Germany)........

It seems your issues are not the generic ones most of the users are having. I can definately see the need for a part and for such a new unit them not stocking it. I think though is kind of rough that you guys only get a 7 day return policy as these kinds of issues show up early and you could have exchange it right away . Hope they get your part soon and get you up and running. as these units are fantastic when they work. I have a 5007 and really do love it even though I had some issues in the beginnig and was able to work them out.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page