The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4730 Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantari View Post

Thanks, thats basically what I ended up doing. Actually I'm a lot less annoyed now, I just wish more of those sound modes were available with the different audio types. For instance DTS Surround Senssation is available on all of them except two audio formats, for the other two you have to choose something else. All Channel Stereo, Direct, Pure Audio, and Mono seem to be universal. I'll check some of the others, I believe there is a giant chart in the manual that lays out which modes are available for each audio preset so I'll go read that and see which audio modes line up for all audio presets.

I am not sure if there is a one mode fit all solution here. I went through both a trial process and deciphering of the available modes via the manual and found that no mode would allow application cross signal inputs DD 2.0 versus DD 5.1 with my 3007.

What I wound up with was 2 primary modes for my directv watching PLIIz Height and DSX Audyssey. This led to a great reduction in clicking and it significantly muted the sound. My thoughts are as long as the # and type of speakers in use are same the clicking decible level is normal or as I was used to with my previous denon unit. The abnormally high decible level clicking is associated with engaging of additional speakers and not necessarily due to switching of the input signals, so I think the clicking we are hearing is the units method of engaging additional speakers....

In search of video bliss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4730 Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I agree that the relay clicking seems related to engaging and disengaging speakers with some exceptions which in my setup is when I go from a Dolby 5.1 signal to a Dolby 2.0 or PCM 2.0 signal.
And yes, it doesn't matter if all presets are PLIIx Movie.
But I think it *could* be my cablebox that interrupts, muting, the sound longer when switching from Dolby 5.1 to Dolby/PCM 2.0 and therefore causing relay clicking.
post #723 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

I agree that the relay clicking seems related to engaging and disengaging speakers with some exceptions which in my setup is when I go from a Dolby 5.1 signal to a Dolby 2.0 or PCM 2.0 signal.
And yes, it doesn't matter if all presets are PLIIx Movie.
But I think it could be my cablebox that interrupts, muting, the sound longer when switching from Dolby 5.1 to Dolby/PCM 2.0.

I experience exactly what you describe on my 5007 also. I ALWAYS get the loud click going from 5.1 to 2.0 and a soft click the other way around. No difference with same presets either.

On the possitive side I can say that so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any dropouts since last FW upgrade.
post #724 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedball_r1 View Post

I experience exactly what you describe on my 5007 also. I ALWAYS get the loud click going from 5.1 to 2.0 and a soft click the other way around. No difference with same presets either.

On the possitive side I can say that so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any dropouts since last FW upgrade.

You don't happen to have a Humax HDPVR-1000c as cablebox?
post #725 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:

You don't happen to have a Humax HDPVR-1000c as cablebox?

Unfortunally no. I have a Dreambox 800 Sat decoder, so I would think that your cablebox is not the problem. I'm pretty sure I get this loud clicks even when format changes during the broadcast (as apposed to channel change) and the interuppt time in this case should be a lot less than a channel change from a 2.0 program to a 5.1.
post #726 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunally no. I have a Dreambox 800 Sat decoder, so I would think that your cablebox is not the problem. I'm pretty sure I get this loud clicks even when format changes during the broadcast (as apposed to channel change) and the interuppt time in this case should be a lot less than a channel change from a 2.0 program to a 5.1.

Well, yes, sorry. I wasn't specific enough. When I said "switching from Dolby 5.1 to Dolby/PCM 2.0", I wasn't talking about channel changes in particular.
Any change which involves a switch from 5.1 to Dolby/PCM 2.0 causes relay click and that includes the change when a movie with 5.1 ends and some intermission/commercial starts with 2.0 content.
post #727 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Grunt and Perpetual. Thanks for the info and support the confidence in the Onkyo,. The clicking when I first got it was annoying. But after learning the receiver and the several firmware updates I find it hardly clicks anymore if it does very low. It is out in the open and 12ft away. As far as the heat running a t reference for a while it gets quite warm but never hot. I can lay my hand on top as long as I like. The Pio Elites prior to the Ice amps ran hot. I had a 49txi and it got very hot. My dennon 4308ci when at reference ran quite warm.

Given that two sales people from different places inquired if I had good ventilation because Onkyos run hot I was surprised that it doesn't seem to get any warmer than my Denon 2807 did. I even ran a test to make sure it could adequately power my speakers, playing anywhere from 2-8 speakers at over 100dB from about 11 feet for about 2 hours and it never got to hot that I couldn't hold my hand on it comfortably.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #728 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 AM

New owner here

I bought this as an upgrade over my Onkyo TX-SR601 (yes, that old). Very excited!

It's nice having HDMI, etc., but the video processor quality is exceptional and the room correction works great and is simple to use. In my environment I can't push sound levels too hard, but I have no complaints.

There is clicking but my old Onkyo had that too... it also does run hot.

I've had some drop-outs with my old SVHS player connected via s-video but the quality of playback with older sources like this is exceptional. Frankly I'm more impressed with the video management than the audio management.
post #729 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Straight Decode only exists as a discrete remote command and it is not documented in the manual.
It is a quick command to select the "native" listening listening mode;
for Dolby Digital audio, it selects Dolby Digital as listening mode, for DTS, it select DTS, Dolby TrueHD selects Dolby TrueHD etc.
No upmixing, no fake all channel surround etc. Just the pure listening mode the sound was designed for.
The respective listening modes can also be selected by wading through the listening modes or using Listening Mode Preset.
Straight Decode is just a quick way of doing it from the remote.

There is no relation to Direct or Pure Audio.
These modes should only be used if you have had your acoustically treated
with things like bass traps, diffusors,
absorbing panels.

Hello rickardl

may you explain what "recall" (Setup Operation Code) is intend to do?
The "store" command, does it the same as the memory button on the 5507 front?

Many thanks!
Regards
Daniel
post #730 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

Given that two sales people from different places inquired if I had good ventilation because Onkyos run hot I was surprised that it doesn't seem to get any warmer than my Denon 2807 did. I even ran a test to make sure it could adequately power my speakers, playing anywhere from 2-8 speakers at over 100dB from about 11 feet for about 2 hours and it never got to hot that I couldn't hold my hand on it comfortably.

In most cases the efficiency of the speakers can affect the heat and in a shop they run these all day and usually to extermes so that can possably cause them to state their info on the heat. Some sales people I am sorry to say will try to stear potential customers away from certain products or manfucturers for different reasons. I was in that business a while back. I remember going in to a Circut City at one time and I was looking at the 805 was so hot I could not touch it no speakers attached but volume knob was turned way up.

post #731 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Hmm,

I just disabled the Subwoofer in speaker settings and guess what. All relay clicks disapear, EXCEPT the loud one when going from DD5.1 to 2.0.

Strange...
post #732 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The last few nights my 3007 just shut off in the middle of a movie (different movies each night). At first I thought that the unit was shutting down for thermal protection. However, I soon realized that what was happening is I was hitting the sleep timer button on the remote to activate the backlighting (same position on the remote as the backlight button on my Marantz remote). I had no idea what that button did (never looked), but it worked to turn the backlighting on so I kept using it. Of course it also told the receiver to turn off in 90 minutes!

On another note, I have gotten somewhere on the misreporting of resolutions problem I have. If I set both the monitor out to 1080p/24 and the Picture adjust for the source to 1080p/24, then the Lumagen correctly reports the signal it receives from the Onkyo as 1080p/24. I have more experimenting to do, but this is promising. Unfortunately no progress (short of turning of the Onkyo's VP) on getting proper reporting from the LG Bh200 to the Onkyo.
post #733 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantari View Post

Thanks, thats basically what I ended up doing. Actually I'm a lot less annoyed now, I just wish more of those sound modes were available with the different audio types. For instance DTS Surround Senssation is available on all of them except two audio formats, for the other two you have to choose something else. All Channel Stereo, Direct, Pure Audio, and Mono seem to be universal. I'll check some of the others, I believe there is a giant chart in the manual that lays out which modes are available for each audio preset so I'll go read that and see which audio modes line up for all audio presets.

For watching TV (UPC HD box) i have set the box to Stereo (Analog PCM) and the Onkyo to ALL CH ST on the Analog PCM stream.
I did try some DD 5.1 settings on the HD stations that uses DD 5.1, but i do not like the way its send to the speakers.
On some HD stations the voice over is difficult to hear as the music is to loud.
Do not have that problem when i use Analog PCM and the All CH ST setting.
And NO CLICKING this way.........

I also use the same All CH ST setting for Internet Radio and USB music.
For BD i have all settings to PLIIz Heigh, exept Digital Mono, thats Direct.
I never seen Direct when i use a BD so i think Digital Mono is not used on BD.

Indeed the clicking is activating the specific speakers that are needit.
If this is done by using mecanical relays, they have to click to make the corect connection.
I seen comments that magnetic relays also exist, and they a silent, but must be more expenceive then the mecanical ones, and there are a lot of them in the x007 series.
I see no other way around this then setting audio modes to one specific mode, or let the Onkyo click away..........
post #734 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm,

I just disabled the Subwoofer in speaker settings and guess what. All relay clicks disapear, EXCEPT the loud one when going from DD5.1 to 2.0.

Strange...

Are you sure ?

As the sub(s) are used on all the audio modes and only the other speakers are used or not...........
post #735 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Are you sure ?

As the sub(s) are used on all the audio modes and only the other speakers are used or not...........

Yes,
Tried it a couple of times now. Would be interessting to know if this is the case with just my unit or if it is the same with others?

Seems that the algorithm that control the relays "works in mysterious ways"
post #736 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Yes,
Tried it a couple of times now. Would be interessting to know if this is the case with just my unit or if it is the same with others?

Too bad this weird result is not a practical solution, because there is no way I'm going without my 15" Earthquake MKVI.
post #737 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 AM

True that. I'd listen to any relay clicks any day, before giving up my sub
post #738 of 4730 Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

The last few nights my 3007 just shut off in the middle of a movie (different movies each night). At first I thought that the unit was shutting down for thermal protection. However, I soon realized that what was happening is I was hitting the sleep timer button on the remote to activate the backlighting (same position on the remote as the backlight button on my Marantz remote). I had no idea what that button did (never looked), but it worked to turn the backlighting on so I kept using it. Of course it also told the receiver to turn off in 90 minutes!

On another note, I have gotten somewhere on the misreporting of resolutions problem I have. If I set both the monitor out to 1080p/24 and the Picture adjust for the source to 1080p/24, then the Lumagen correctly reports the signal it receives from the Onkyo as 1080p/24. I have more experimenting to do, but this is promising. Unfortunately no progress (short of turning of the Onkyo's VP) on getting proper reporting from the LG Bh200 to the Onkyo.

are you using any of the ISF modes by chance? I had a similar problem and finally found that the isf mode even though set to through by default acts goofy. It was passing a slightly different signal. I went in and changed it to auto and all was fine. If you look at the FAQ's it details how to change the res in the isf modes.

In search of video bliss...
post #739 of 4730 Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes,

I tried it on my 3007 and sorry to say, no differents
I canceled the (2) subs i have in the speaker setup menu and did the "listening mode test" again and its still clicking away.......

I must say normal i run without the subs, i have 6x Magnat Neos Tower, 1x Magnat Neos center, 4x Magnat Needle satelite for Wide and High, and 2x Magnat Monitor Supreme 301A subs.
The bass when i use TV, USB and Internet Radio is more then enough without the subs, only with BD the subs are turned on by a switch, so they stay "in use" in the speakers setup menu.

But like i say, no differents in the clicks, sorry
post #740 of 4730 Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM

Ok.

I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, so maybe that is what make the results differ.
post #741 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 03:14 AM

Hello Everyone,

I just bought the 5007 from Newegg and hooked it up.

I have run into a problem when I turn the unit on.

I have a Sony TV and a DirectTV HR-21.

Here is what happens:

I have a Pronto remote control so I have a macro that turns the TV on, the HR21 on then the receiver.

When everything is on, I get audio, but no video. I have to change the input to some other device, then change it back to the HR21 for the video to appear.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Akash
post #742 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I mentioned the static problem (on the left front speaker) 5 weeks ago on this forum and my receiver (new 3007 now 8 weeks in use) went to repair 2 weeks ago for a different problem.
After the return and the mention of the static problem, the static problem is still here
I tried everything, other HDMI cables, other power outlets, you name it, i tried it........
Even on sources without any cables the static noise is there.
The most strange thing is that for 3-4 days i have no problems any more and nothing changed, same setup as before !

The most strange situation is when i do a Audyssey setup.
When Audyssey starts on the left font speaker NO static noise !
When Audyssey is doing the front wide and front high the static noise starts and is triggerd even when Audyssey is doing the front right and the sub woofers, not with the other speakers........

When i have the static noise back (and it will come back) i will try if SPDIF will make a differents compared to HDMI.
I do not think so as not used sources also have the static noise, but i will sure try.
I mailed this problem (with an audio file of the static noise) to Onkyo Europe and hope to get an answer, different then send the unit in for repair.

1-1-2010, happy new year and as a nice gift the static noise is back
I changed from WIDE to HIGH and the static noise appeared again in the left front speaker.
So i must concloud that it has something to do with the extra channels that are now on the x007 series.
Also when Audyssey is making its setup run it starts ok (no static noise) but when its "testing" the wide and high speakers the noise starts.
So or Onkyo is not doing its job correct, or its Audyssey..........
post #743 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First off, I'd like to thank ricardl for his excellent intro on this unit, helped immensely with getting my unit up and running, and a great reference. Now that I've passed my 30 day return policy, I can focus on enjoying how great this receiver really is. Still trying to find my favorite processing mode - too many to choose from, but choice is what I paid for!

My observations of the unit are, it doesn't make loud clicks, except when turned on (and my Sony XBR4 TV responds in the same "on macro" with a "loud" click), and other softer clicks - not a problem, barely if ever noticed.

I do have one problem with OTA recordings on my HTPC of some NBC recordings like Heroes, and Mercy (hopefully not Chuck coming up) with video dropouts - every 20-120 secs for 2-3 secs. Imagine it's HDCP issues, and could debug sending HDMI directly to the TV, but getting behind a 300+lb TV/equipment stand is daunting.
I've also noticed some show background sound and commercials have static - think they're in stereo/mono.

BD sounds (once I found out fat PS3 should be set to PCM), looks phenomenal - loved Star Trek, Transformers and GI Joe, DVD super, too. My Panasonic DVR in combo with SD Directv (OK, I gotta upgrade) look better than ever, but doesn't show the OSD in component output or respond to video processing like my Wii does?

I'm a bell and whistles kind of guy, and between the specs list of this unit, and it's quality, and software updates (done two now in 1 month), it sounds great to me! I strongly considered Denon, but couldn't deny the abilities of Onkyo. Wish Onkyo service was more responsive with those who've had problems. I've read all posts hear, and on the 5007 thread, and greatly appreciate you're quality (golden ears) listening experiences, and discoveries and operational tweaks this ultimate receiver has to offer.
post #744 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Does anyone know how to enable (if possible) Windows 7 "Play To" support in these receivers? Is that what is meant by "Windows 7" support on this product?
post #745 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash1221 View Post

Hello Everyone,

I just bought the 5007 from Newegg and hooked it up.

I have run into a problem when I turn the unit on.

I have a Sony TV and a DirectTV HR-21.

Here is what happens:

I have a Pronto remote control so I have a macro that turns the TV on, the HR21 on then the receiver.

When everything is on, I get audio, but no video. I have to change the input to some other device, then change it back to the HR21 for the video to appear.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Akash

update your unit's firmwire to the one from 12/22/09, it should fix 99% of the problem right out of the box.
post #746 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Damn! Tried updating the firmware through wired network connection. It did download fine (100%) and started applying it.

Now it's been sitting at the "VSP setting" stage for one hour and a half. What should I do? The instructions recommend not turning off the unit during the process, but it seems to be stuck somehow.

Edit: ... resorted to turning off the unit (European model has a power off button on the front). It started back up fine but... firmware was 1071-0803-0510-6100 so the Reon firmware was at 1.00 (!?!). I'm now trying through USB update. It passed the VSP setting stage and it is now in the writing stage, apparently proceeding regularly. Pray with me.

Edit 2: SUCCESS! As good as the network thing appears to be... no way in hell I'll ever use it again. I got SO scared about having to send back the unit after setting all up.

One question, as I see nobody has replied to the thread in the meantime.

My remote is behaving strangely. On some inputs only the volume buttons seem to be working. But if I use my old Onkyo receiver's remote everything is fine. It's like the remote enters a "special state" when entering some inputs that makes it "non working". Is the remote defective or am I missing something?

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #747 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post

update your unit's firmwire to the one from 12/22/09, it should fix 99% of the problem right out of the box.

That was the first thing I did after I hooked up the system.

The problem occurs after the firmware update...
post #748 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

My remote is behaving strangely. On some inputs only the volume buttons seem to be working. But if I use my old Onkyo receiver's remote everything is fine. It's like the remote enters a "special state" when entering some inputs that makes it "non working". Is the remote defective or am I missing something?

After you select an input press “receiver” on the Onkyo remote and all the rest of the functions should become active again. The “receiver” button is just to the right on the bottom row of all the input buttons. I think the remote stays in the mode to support the input device you chose though it only works if you programmed it with the appropriate codes for that device.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #749 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Damn! Tried updating the firmware through wired network connection. It did download fine (100%) and started applying it.

Now it's been sitting at the "VSP setting" stage for one hour and a half. What should I do? The instructions recommend not turning off the unit during the process, but it seems to be stuck somehow.

Edit: ... resorted to turning off the unit (European model has a power off button on the front). It started back up fine but... firmware was 1071-0803-0510-6100 so the Reon firmware was at 1.00 (!?!). I'm now trying through USB update. It passed the VSP setting stage and it is now in the writing stage, apparently proceeding regularly. Pray with me.

Edit 2: SUCCESS! As good as the network thing appears to be... no way in hell I'll ever use it again. I got SO scared about having to send back the unit after setting all up.

I strongly recommend always to use the USB method when updating the firmware.
Direct network update might work and it might not but I have never heard of an USB update which didn't work.
post #750 of 4730 Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I strongly recommend always to use the USB method when updating the firmware.
Direct network update might work and it might not but I have never heard of an USB update which didn't work.

Yes, you mention that. But the strange thing is that the downloading went perfectly. I opted for the network having a wired connection to a fiber optics network in my city. That's really stable and fast. Never gives problems.

If it goes wrong after the download part... I wonder about the quality of coding on Onkyo's side.

Thanks for the great guide, by the way!

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page