The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4729 Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post

Hi,

With the particularity that this only works in DPLIIx + DSX mode...

As in Audyssey DSX mode (either SB+FW or SB+FH) where SB speakers are supposed to be used, they are actually muted! No sound is coming out from SB in pure Audyssey mode.

There are several DSX modes. Some intended for 5.1, some for 7.1 and some for 9.1 It is dependent on the input source material, but My 5007 produces great sound from the Surrounds and Surround backs in many DSX modes. I suspect you may have a configuration problem, bad Rcvr or possible misunderstanidng of the sound modes.

Can you produce white noise from the rear surrounds using the calibration tones?

So on this 5007 9.2 amplifier, only 7.2 channels are used in pure Audyssey DSX mode.

No. In Audyssey DSX, if you have 9.2 configured correctly the unit drives 9 seperare channels, plus two sub outs.

So maybe Onkyo ingineers could though rearrange this Audyssey DSX mode to finally produce a (VERY expected) 5.2 + FW+FH reproduction on the 5007?

Hugo

Regards,
Adamg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4729 Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Bonjour Adam,

Quote:

There are several DSX modes.

Sorry Adam to have to contradict you, but on the 5007, there is only one mode called Audyssey DSX and this is the one I am talking abaout.

Quote:

Some intended for 5.1, some for 7.1 and some for 9.1 It is dependent on the input source material,

Sure, I agree. But when you have a 6.1 signal this Audyssey DSX mode should engage BS speakers, but it doesn't. When (even) if you consult the manual, this should be the case.

Quote:

My 5007 produces great sound from the Surrounds and Surround backs in many DSX modes.

Mine also , but these are not pure Audyssey DSX modes as they are always "something" + DSX (for example DPLIIx + DSX).

Quote:

I suspect you may have a configuration problem, bad Rcvr or possible misunderstanidng of the sound modes.

In the first place, this is what I also suspected, but (very fortunately), this is not the case and everything is OK... (and I confirm that I don't have Zone 2 or 3 activated and/or I'm not in biamplification).

Quote:

Can you produce white noise from the rear surrounds using the calibration tones?

Sure yes, BS (speakers) were detected during calibration and are perfectly working when not in pure Audyssey DSX mode.

Want to try by yourself?

The mode is called Audyssey DSX and it can be switched between either SB+FW or SB+FH, through the usual "SP Layout" button.

In my opinion what is really frustrating with this 5007 receiver is that it is one certainly one of the best products that I had so far, as I change receivers/amplifiers every year and on this particular receiver, both Audyssey DSX FW or DSX FH are exceptional modes in their own individual kind...

So it ends up being a shame that the user can't combine them due to some "unknown" and exclusive Onkyo reasons, as the Denon 4810 doesn't suffer of the same limitation.

And my VERY humble opinion is that the above exposed limitation in pure Audyssey DSX mode, is somehow linked to the global impossibility of having FW and FH channels working at the same time on the Onkyo 5007!

Have a nice WE,

Hugo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 4729 Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 AM

[quote=Hugo S;17493265]Bonjour Adam,

Sorry Adam to have to contradict you, but on the 5007, there is only one mode called Audyssey DSX and this is the one I am talking about.

Hugo, sorry I misunderstood that you meant the Dolby Digital Audyssey DSX mode. As there are quite a few DSX modes, I missed that specific reference point in your original post.

Sure, I agree. But when you have a 6.1 signal this Audyssey DSX mode should engage BS speakers, but it doesn't. When (even) if you consult the manual, this should be the case.

On page 88 of the 3007/5007 manual, the seventh listening mode listed is "Audyssey DSX". Reading note *2 "for Ch output, output can be switched between the combination of Surround back and Front High, or Surround back and Front Wide speakers by pressing the [SP LAYOUT] button".

I just tested this on my system. The on screen definition for this sound format is Dolby Digital Audyssey DSX. When you press the SP LAYOUT button it indicates you are switching between SB/FH or SB/FW. I tested several sources and you are indeed correct. No sound is coming front the Surround Backs. The Manual shows on the speaker diagram layout that their should be sound. However, when in this mode, when you press the DISPLAY button it only shows a 7.2 sound output. This does indeed look like a problem or incorrect speaker configuration issue.

I just reported this problem to Onkyo via the Onkyo Web Site Feedback Forum. I recommend you make a complaint there as well. Thanks for catching this issue Hugo.

Regards,
Adamg
post #94 of 4729 Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, I have the 806 and love it, but I'm getting really itchy for 11.2, and since Denon has an AVR with that potential, is there any talk/rumor of Onkyo doing the same?
post #95 of 4729 Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineRonin View Post

So there is a way to completely turn off the entire display? I wish the Volume ring would stay one but if it all has to go off thats fine too I guess. I tried cycling through the different brightnesses but it never went to completely off. What am I doing wrong

Nothing... I just illustrated how Onkyo could have implemented the option
to do so with adding just one step in dimmer cycle... sorry for the confusion!
post #96 of 4729 Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Nothing... I just illustrated how Onkyo could have implemented the option
to do so with adding just one step in dimmer cycle... sorry for the confusion!

It's all good bud, thanks. I work in CE retail and sometimes I just wonder if they ever had a thought to maybe give one of these things to a customer or do some beta testing and simple add ons like that would be in the finished product to begin with. Oh well such is life. *fingers crossed for fw update w/ that add on*

Carrying on the legacy of Len Tweten
post #97 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 AM

Hi there! Just set up my ONKYO NR3007... very fine piece of equipment so far.

But I have one minor problem: I hooked up a Denon DVD 3910 by HDMI and analog multichannel cable for listening to SACD`s.

While playing a SACD the Onkyo only produces a 2 channel stereo output (when I use the Display button of the Onkyo it says analog as input source); the Denon display on the player itself clearly shows a 5.1 channel output and that a SACD is playing.

I tried virtually every possible button on the Denon and the Onkyo.

I hope you can help me with this.

Ah, one thing left to mention: I already tried using the Audio selector button. Still I only get 2ch stereo from my SACD.
post #98 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Adam,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post

... I just reported this problem to Onkyo via the Onkyo Web Site Feedback Forum. I recommend you make a complaint there as well. Thanks for catching this issue Hugo.

Almost 10 days ago I already reported this problem to the European (German) Onkyo Support...

Their first answer was that this should be linked to my use of Zone 2 or 3, which was/is not the case.

So I'm still waiting for an answer or a correction, though my intervention here.

Have a nice day,

Hugo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 AM

I've had my 3007 for a few weeks and was generally happy with it until at band practice last night I hooked it up to my mixer for the first time, and...

there is an approximately half-second delay on all inputs (including digital)! When I watch movies, the receiver knows enough to synchronize the sound and video, but when I'm just playing my keyboard, there's a noticeable delay between when a note is triggered and when it is heard. For live music, a delay is intolerable. You can't be hearing a note even a split-second after you play it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions for fixing would be greatly appreciated.
post #100 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanyael View Post

Hi there! Just set up my ONKYO NR3007... very fine piece of equipment so far.

But I have one minor problem: I hooked up a Denon DVD 3910 by HDMI and analog multichannel cable for listening to SACD`s.

While playing a SACD the Onkyo only produces a 2 channel stereo output (when I use the Display button of the Onkyo it says analog as input source); the Denon display on the player itself clearly shows a 5.1 channel output and that a SACD is playing.

I tried virtually every possible button on the Denon and the Onkyo.

I hope you can help me with this.

Ah, one thing left to mention: I already tried using the Audio selector button. Still I only get 2ch stereo from my SACD.

try turning off the hdmi audio passthrough if that happens to be on.

all theses issues, i am worried about getting the 5007, guess i will have to use this 807 for a while longer.
post #101 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some of you who have been following these new 0007 threads are familiar with an issue I have been having with my 5007. I have refrained from negativity on this unit and Onkyo. At this point Based on my recent experience I would reccomend anyone sitting on the fence wait until you see how Mine and some of the other issues AVS members are having is solved. This opinion is based mainly on the communication I recently have had with theyre Support team.

post #102 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Posted in the 5007 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=300

Regards,
Adamg
post #103 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the "Speaker Layout"-button on the remote?
You can configure for both front and wide but
you can only use either front highs or front wides at the same time.
You select what you use with the "Speaker Layout" button on the remote.
If you use surround back speakers, the speaker selection will be based on the combination of surround back and front high speakers, or surround back and front wide speakers.

Thanks for the info. I worked well.
I heard an audio dropout yesterday on Onkyo NR3007 as well while listening to a CD. Yes I will go to the onkyo website to file a complaint.
post #104 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone having the problems with Dish network receivers? I just bought a 3007 from Newegg, I guess I have 20 days left to return it. My speakers come in tomorrow, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I want to know quickly if I'm going to have problems. I guess just hook it up to the Dish DVR and let her rip?

post #105 of 4729 Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

try turning off the hdmi audio passthrough if that happens to be on.

all theses issues, i am worried about getting the 5007, guess i will have to use this 807 for a while longer.

Do you mean the hdmi audio passthrough on the Denon SACD player or is it possible to configure the Onkyo to only accept multichannel input.

Also: while only getting the 2ch output the Onkyo receiver display itself says "Multichannel direct" and I can't switch between any stereo/surround modes... is that correct
post #106 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM

[quote=Adamg (Ret-Navy);17502781]Posted in the 5007 thread.

Updated.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=311

Regards,
Adamg
post #107 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Odd... If I setup my DVD/SACD player to use DSD, pressing Display on the Onkyo shows "HDMI 1 DSD 44.1kHz".
If I setup it to use LPCM, pressing Display on the Onkyo shows "HDMI 1 PCM 88.2kHz".
Nothing analog mentioned.
Changing listening modes seems to work fine also.
post #108 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM

i was thinking of bridging the unused amplifiers of my 3007 to my main (MA S8's) - has anyone done this? I currently have a 5.1 setup and will add two for a 7.1 setup - but would like to use the extra amps for my main's. I have already read much about biwiring and the pluses and minuses of this (I guess only one power supply and passive crossovers are a net negative or neutral for biwiring). Is bridging a receivers amps any different? Would i have more watts to drive my mains?
post #109 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"i was thinking of bridging the unused amplifiers of my 3007 to my main"

Bridging requires inverting the signal to one of the channels

Noah
post #110 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprose View Post

i was thinking of bridging the unused amplifiers of my 3007 to my main (MA S8's) - has anyone done this? I currently have a 5.1 setup and will add two for a 7.1 setup - but would like to use the extra amps for my main's. I have already read much about biwiring and the pluses and minuses of this (I guess only one power supply and passive crossovers are a net negative or neutral for biwiring). Is bridging a receivers amps any different? Would i have more watts to drive my mains?

In a Bi-Wire you need a second set of speaker cables, you are still using the passive x-overs in the spkr, w/the 3007 a separate amp is used for each half of the spkr's compliment of drivers, and you remove back EMF from a woofer from contaminating the signal going to mids/tweeters. When bridiging an amp most times you get double or more power which would only be a big benefit if your speakers are insensitive and you are listening at loud levels. I think the Bi-Wire approach would bring more sonic improvements than Bridging, especially if you upgrade the speaker cables to the mids/tweeters.

Kemper Holt
post #111 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=Adamg (Ret-Navy);17507961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post

Posted in the 5007 thread.

Updated.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=311

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after considerable email conversations yesterday with Bob Elder, Product Support Rep for Onkyo, I decided to ship my unit to him. They paid for shipping. They also offered to send me a new unit in return via FedEx. Bob also offered to open the new unit and inspect for proper function. He also offered to update the unit to the latest version of firmware.

While I agree with the concept that I or We should not have to do anything but plug this in and enjoy. The 1007 thru 5007 Rcvrs represent a large jump in home Audio/Video technology at this price point. With minor exceptions, my unit performed far above expectation and has so many features I am still learning all this unit can do. The INTERNET Music is simply amazing. Pandora will make you see music in a new way. Taking all this into account, including IMHO that this new Product line from Onkyo blows away the competition in features versus price. This unit is worth every penny and more. Just FYI, I have previously owned two Dennons.

I also am aware that some folks have not received the level of service from Onkyo that they expect or deserve. I certainly can understand that frustration. However, as you can see this particular Onkyo Product Support Rep is working quite hard to fix the Audio/Video dropout problem. He paid for the return of my existing unit, is shipping me a new unit in exchange and will personally inspect and update that unit for me in advance.

I am not arguing any previous posts about lack of Onkyo after sales service, only offering a different experience in this particular case.

It will be about a week before I receive my replacement unit. Once I have it up and running, I will test it to see if the Audio/Video dropout problem is fixed. As well as a few other minor bugs mentioned earlier in this thread. All of which I have communicated to Bob.

Very glad for you.
Now if all of us who who have had issues even worse than yours could receive the same level of service than Onkyo would be doing the right thing. I am sure you are very happy and can praise and reccomend Onkyos level of service. No unit is worth this kind of discontent and aggravation. Denons 4810 is getting a lot of praise and the street prices are not that far fecthed. They have all the Onkyos bells and whistles and then some. Except for the thx processing. The Anchor Bay scaler is also getting a lot of good press from members. So Onkyo is really not the only game in town. Really sorry I did not wait. I also have had two fine denons and find that their cusstomer service is far superior for we average members. I do appreciate your effort and do not at all fault you for feeling comfortable with Onkyo. If I were getting that level of service I also would feel similar. At this point I feel slighted, aggravated and totaly Tempted to take some legal action.

post #112 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The remote codes in the document linked in the first post seems to work ok
except
Audyssey 2EQ/MultEQ/MultEQ XT Code
D21E 50 8E Off
D21E 50 8F On
D2AC DF Audyssey 2EQ/MultEQ/MultEQ XT(Wrap-Around Up)
instead, they acted like
Dynamic EQ Code
D21E 50 8B Off
D21E 50 8C On
D21E 50 8D Dynamic EQ(Wrap-Around Up)
which worked like they should though as well as these ones which also work fine:
Dynamic Volume Code
D21E 50 80 Off
D21E 50 81 Light
D21E 50 82 Medium
D21E 50 83 Heavy
D21E 50 84 Dynamic Volume(Wrap-Around Up)
Listening Mode Code
D2AC 52 Straight Decode
Re-EQ/Cinema Filter Code
D26C D6 Re-EQ/Cinema (Wrap Around Up)
post #113 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprose View Post

Unfortunately I think you, as well as others are mixing terminology. I think you are saying you want to bi-amp using the extra amplifiers, which is different from bi-wiring, which is different from bridging. Usually if amplifiers support bridging they have switches to do so, these receivers don't, so bridging is probably not a good idea and passive bi-wiring is well...not sure it's worth anything. If you meant bi-amping I suggest you start at this post and read the following couple of pages.
post #114 of 4729 Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"you remove back EMF from a woofer from contaminating the signal going to mids/tweeters."

That's a new one.

You talk as if it's a distinct signal, but it's just reflected as the impedance peak at the woofers resonance.

Anyway, even if it were "real", it's filtered out by the tweeter's XO.

Noah
post #115 of 4729 Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Odd... If I setup my DVD/SACD player to use DSD, pressing Display on the Onkyo shows "HDMI 1 DSD 44.1kHz".
If I setup it to use LPCM, pressing Display on the Onkyo shows "HDMI 1 PCM 88.2kHz".
Nothing analog mentioned.
Changing listening modes seems to work fine also.

So finally I found the solution to my problem.. and it wasn't the 3007's fault...

There's a menu point in the Denon 3910 setup where you can switch HDMI Multichannel to HDMI 2-ch audio output. Strangely enough, only if you set it to HDMI 2-ch the analog audio output is activated...

I was totally blown away by the sound quality (tested it with Sting's A Brand New Day SACD and a Dire Straits piece)! Simply amazing!!!

I just wanted to mention that I experienced no audio dropouts of any kind so far... whether analog, HDMI or anything else...

I had a different problem with a USB WD My Passport on which I store most of my music. While playing it via USB of the 3007 it just stopped some time after playing and reverted itself to the status of the first file on the WD... AFTER formatting the external drive to the FAT32 format everything runs perfectly smooth... before that the drive had a NTFS formatting.
post #116 of 4729 Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So finally I found the solution to my problem.. and it wasn't the 3007's fault...

There's a menu point in the Denon 3910 setup where you can switch HDMI Multichannel to HDMI 2-ch audio output. Strangely enough, only if you set it to HDMI 2-ch the analog audio output is activated...

I was totally blown away by the sound quality (tested it with Sting's A Brand New Day SACD and a Dire Straits piece)! Simply amazing!!!

I just wanted to mention that I experienced no audio dropouts of any kind so far... whether analog, HDMI or anything else...

Good! Have you tried outputting DSD from the Denon?
post #117 of 4729 Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

Unfortunately I think you, as well as others are mixing terminology. I think you are saying you want to bi-amp using the extra amplifiers, which is different from bi-wiring, which is different from bridging. Usually if amplifiers support bridging they have switches to do so, these receivers don't, so bridging is probably not a good idea and passive bi-wiring is well...not sure it's worth anything. If you meant bi-amping I suggest you start at this post and read the following couple of pages.

That post on Bi-AMPing initially made me not try it. However I did try Bi-AMPing my mains with the 1007 and noticed an increase in volume, soundstage, and impact. Audyssey notices it too and reduced the speaker level even more then before Bi-AMPing.
post #118 of 4729 Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 AM
amt

I can't say for sure whether bridging is true bridging on the 3007/5007, but it clearly supports doing just that in the manual. Not sure why they would support this if is was not true bridging. As for the switching required, there's no reason this can't be done inside the box when you select bridging in the OSD.
post #119 of 4729 Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

I can't say for sure whether bridging is true bridging on the 3007/5007, but it clearly supports doing just that in the manual. Not sure why they would support this if is was not true bridging. As for the switching required, there's no reason this can't be done inside the box when you select bridging in the OSD.

You're correct, I didn't realize there was that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post

That post on Bi-AMPing initially made me not try it. However I did try Bi-AMPing my mains with the 1007 and noticed an increase in volume, soundstage, and impact. Audyssey notices it too and reduced the speaker level even more then before Bi-AMPing.

That's cool that it provided an improvement for you, and it may work for others also, but it may make things worse too. People should just realize that just because you can do it doesn't necessarily mean you should, or worse, assume that it will definitely be an improvement. I'm going to be trying it also, but I'm going to be using an external amp for the woofers and the Onkyo for the highs.
post #120 of 4729 Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone verified the speaker levels after Audyssey setup?
Measured with a SPL meter, set C-slow, it should measure about 75dB
from the first measurement position.
I just measured my TX-NR3007 and all speakers were at 78dB except one at 79dB.
That is odd.
The trim levels with my old TX-SR876 after Audyssey were between -9 to -12.
The trim levels now are at -3.5 to -5.
Same speakers which haven't moved an inch.
The tripod is maybe one inch off from the old measurement place.
So it seems the new Onkyo models sets the volume louder for me but quieter for some. Bug maybe?

Edit: False alarm... redid it today, it suddenly were almost spot on 75dB for all speakers using
the trims from Audyssey! Can't explain it.
I switched the dial
setting the scale to 70 and 80 back and forth a few times. Maybe the battery is playing tricks with the meter...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - Nr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page