The Onkyo TX-NR3007/TX-NR5007 common questions/issues/hints/answers thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 4725 Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
sterryo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes i know that Onkyo's can't do a true 11.2, but with a spl meter and a second amp you can have some fun.
what i did was first measure the spl of the height speakers and then hooked up an amp to the wide/high outs. connected the speakers to the new amp and matched it output to the same spl as before. the speakers i used were the height speakers and this is what your get.

if running PLIIz or heights everything stays exactly as before as far as sound goes only difference is that you are using a separate amp to power the heights.

But when you switch to wide mode, now both wide and heights are powered (using the same signal).... the change isn't really profound but you can hear the difference, when I powered the seperate amp on/off the soundstage collapsed a little and didn't sound as immersive.

I know that the change was minor but I had an extra amp laying around so I thought I give it a try. Well I plan on keeping this setup and only need to put the new amp into the rack and hook it back up. I used zone 3 to power the amp on/off and I will program my Harmony remote to toggle zone 3 trigger whenever I turn the Onkyo on/off.....
sterryo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 4725 Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

yes i know that Onkyo's can't do a true 11.2, but with a spl meter and a second amp you can have some fun.
what i did was first measure the spl of the height speakers and then hooked up an amp to the wide/high outs. connected the speakers to the new amp and matched it output to the same spl as before. the speakers i used were the height speakers and this is what your get.

if running PLIIz or heights everything stays exactly as before as far as sound goes only difference is that you are using a separate amp to power the heights.

But when you switch to wide mode, now both wide and heights are powered (using the same signal).... the change isn't really profound but you can hear the difference, when I powered the seperate amp on/off the soundstage collapsed a little and didn't sound as immersive.

I know that the change was minor but I had an extra amp laying around so I thought I give it a try. Well I plan on keeping this setup and only need to put the new amp into the rack and hook it back up. I used zone 3 to power the amp on/off and I will program my Harmony remote to toggle zone 3 trigger whenever I turn the Onkyo on/off.....

So the WIDE and HIGH outputs are both with signal, only the Onkyo powers one or the other. (yes i know, this was mentioned earlier.....)
Think if you realy want the extra effects of the WIDE speakers they have to be at least 1 or 1 1/2 Meters from the fronts.
Putting them next to the frons (if you do not have the space) is useless.
Putting HIGH speakers 1 Meter or more above the fronts is someting almost every user can do.
I think HIGH will more usefull for me then WIDE, i can only put WIDE around 50-60 centimeters from the fronts.
And then in the case of the 3007, what must the user select, the WIDE or HIGH.....

I will try HIGH this weekend, my 3007 arrived today and will replace the 876 :-)

PS, any other "problems" found with the 3007 ?
CBdicX is offline  
post #183 of 4725 Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Member
 
_XipHiaS_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just updated my European 3007 with this file on an USB stick: http://avrupd.onkyo.com/AVR0001/ONKAVR0001_H2H30000EOREHAHA_105.zip
Updating was fast, only about 5 minutes i think, didn't time it. thought it would take a while. Watching the display showing the checksum when looking a second time. Nice .
No problems until now, testing everything, reporting back soon....
_XipHiaS_ is offline  
post #184 of 4725 Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

These firmwares are not on us site I believe they are for EU only at this time at least the nov one.

Well, the US was just a little slow to get their thumbs out...
http://63.148.251.135/redirect_servi...REHAHA_105.zip

Edit: I just verified that the firmware on the European site and the US are is the same: same filesizes and checksums.
rickardl is offline  
post #185 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by _XipHiaS_ View Post

Just updated my European 3007 with this file on an USB stick: http://avrupd.onkyo.com/AVR0001/ONKAVR0001_H2H30000EOREHAHA_105.zip
Updating was fast, only about 5 minutes i think, didn't time it. thought it would take a while. Watching the display showing the checksum when looking a second time. Nice .
No problems until now, testing everything, reporting back soon....

Yes, the update procedure is kind of misleading with the times:
To update the firmware, it will take 15 to 25 minutes for TX-NR1007 and 30 to 40 minutes for TX-NR3007/5007.

but that might be correct if you use the network method.
Update via USB takes no more than 5 minutes, maybe even quicker.
rickardl is offline  
post #186 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Member
 
mot67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 3007 wouldn't start updating from USB if I went directly to the update menu, I had to select network/usb form remote first, select the usb stick, then choose receiver from remote, setup, update. Then it went through without a hitch.
When I tried updating via LAN, it similarily froze the receiver when I pressed "update". If I powered off/on there would be no sound, I had to disconnect it from mains to get sound again. Glad the 3007 wasn't bricked, as I just some minutes earlier bricked my PSP by accidentally tripping on the power lead while updating (the battery in my PSP is so worn that if I use wlan, it only stays on for some seconds, so I have to keep it in mains)
mot67 is offline  
post #187 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot67 View Post

My 3007 wouldn't start updating from USB if I went directly to the update menu, I had to select network/usb form remote first, select the usb stick, then choose receiver from remote, setup, update. Then it went through without a hitch.
When I tried updating via LAN, it similarily froze the receiver when I pressed "update". If I powered off/on there would be no sound, I had to disconnect it from mains to get sound again. Glad the 3007 wasn't bricked, as I just some minutes earlier bricked my PSP by accidentally tripping on the power lead while updating (the battery in my PSP is so worn that if I use wlan, it only stays on for some seconds, so I have to keep it in mains)

The update instructions are not 100% correct. I don't think I see Now Initializing in step6 and in step13, I think the receiver restarted itself when I pressed the Standby button.

Step1:
Connect a USB storage device to your PC. If there is any data in the USB storage, remove it.
Step2:
Download the firmware file from the Onkyo web site. The file name is as follows:
ONKAVR0001_*******.zip
Extract the zip file that you have downloaded. The following three files are created:
ONKAVR0001_*******.of1
ONKAVR0001_*******.of2
ONKAVR0001_*******.of3
Step3:
Copy the extracted files to the USB storage device. Be careful not to copy the zip file.
Step4:
Remove the USB storage device from your PC and connect it to the USB port on the
AV receiver/controller. When the AV receiver/controller has two USB ports, you can use either one.
Step5:
Make sure your AV receiver/controller and TV are turned on. If the AV receiver/controller is in standby mode, push [ON/STANDBY] to light up the front display.
Step6:
Select the USB input source. Now Initializing is displayed on the front display and then the name of the USB storage device is displayed. It will take 20 to 30 seconds to recognize the USB storage device.
Step7:
Push [RECEIVER] followed by [SETUP] on the remote controller. Main menu will be displayed on TV screen. Procedures thereafter can also be performed on the AV receiver/controller by using its SETUP, arrow, and ENTER buttons.
Step8:
Go to 7. Hardware Setup menu.
Step9:
Go to 7-6. Firmware Update menu.
Step10:
Select Via USB and push [ENTER].
Step11:
Select Update and push [ENTER].
Updating will begin.
As the updating progresses, the TV screen may disappear depending on the program updated. In this case, you can see the update progress on the front display of the AV receiver/controller. The TV screen will reappear when you finish the update and turn on the AV receiver/controller.
Do not turn off the AV receiver/controller and do not remove the USB storage device during updating process.
Step12:
Message OK:Sum = ******** appears on the front display of the AV receiver/controller, indicating that the update has been completed. (Alpha-numeric characters on the front display are denoted by asterisks.)
Step13:
Using the [ON/STANDBY] button on the front panel, turn off the AV receiver/controller and then remove the USB storage device.
* Do not use the [ON] or [STANDBY] button on the remote controller.
Step14:
Push [ON/STANDBY] to turn on the AV receiver/controller.
Congratulations!! Now you have the latest firmware on your Onkyo AV receiver/controller.
rickardl is offline  
post #188 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Member
 
mot67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, mine restarted by itself too.

I seem to have missed the steps 6 and 7 in those instructions while updating mine, that explains why I couldn't update at first.

The previous update was much more straight forward, I don't recall needing to go through steps 6 and 7 then.
I just made sure it wasn't on an input that had video.
Maybe that's why some people's receivers used to hang after the update had gone through if the update was initialized while the receiver was se to input source that had HDMI active, for example.
mot67 is offline  
post #189 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
richardyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just pulled the trigger on an open box 5007 from NE..anyone returned one recently? It wasn't heavily discounted as some of the ones I saw before, so I am hoping someone just returned it for no good reason.
richardyc is offline  
post #190 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
did the update this morning over the net set on unused imput. 10 minutes no issues. I was reporting a lot of issues after first update but after I reset my cable box all been going well almost 2 weeks now.

william06 is offline  
post #191 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Member
 
tkroeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

did the update this morning over the net set on unused imput. 10 minutes no issues. I was reporting a lot of issues after first update but after I reset my cable box all been going well almost 2 weeks now.

Glad to hear your troubles might be over. I have been looking at this model and was worried there may be problems.
tkroeker is offline  
post #192 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkroeker View Post

Glad to hear your troubles might be over. I have been looking at this model and was worried there may be problems.

Thanks I do too as it is really a great sounding receiver and great pq not to mention all it can do.

william06 is offline  
post #193 of 4725 Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Member
 
musical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was reviewing the notes here about updating the firmware in the Onkyo. Can anyone tell me if Onkyo supports updating using a Mac? Can you simply copy the unzipped files to a USB drive or do you have to create a disk image on the USB drives? If so, what option do you use when you format the USB drive?

As a Mac household, no support for the Mac would be a showstopper.

Thank you for any helpful information.
musical is offline  
post #194 of 4725 Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Newbie
 
nesone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I run Audyssey after Bi-amp 3007?
Thanks
nesone is offline  
post #195 of 4725 Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
rprice54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No problems updating on a Mac. Just download the zip, extract them onto a jump drive, and proceed. No different. Plus, there's always updating via net.

When I selected USB for the input, it said "initializing" for about a second, maybe less. It loaded the files off the drive rapidly and then the process slowed down. I imagine much of the delay updating over the net is the actual downloading of the files. The Onkyo site is SLOW...

I have not had a problem yet, but I'm within my 30 day return at NE, so I figured I would go ahead and update in case it got bricked. I don't think I'll update again unless I'm having a specific problem that gets fixed. Otherwise, if it ain't broke...

I'm using Satellite for my TV, and not cable. It seem that most (not all, don't flame me) people having problems are with cable boxes. I don't have a BR player yet, but watching my DVD player over HDMI and component, and Mac via HDMI/mini-Toslink, has been without a hitch.
rprice54 is offline  
post #196 of 4725 Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Member
 
musical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rprice54, thank you for the quick response. I'm glad to hear that it's a pretty vanilla process to do the update from a Mac. I ask because some manufacturers make updates simple for Windows users, but not quite so for others.

[A recent example was a problem with some hard drives manufactured by Seagate in the past year. They needed a firmware update and, initially at least, if you had these problematic drives and a Macintosh, there was no way to flash the update. Eventually, probably when their were enough complaints, they offered a solution for the Mac user.]

I was looking at comparably priced Marantz and Denon AVRs, but when a close friend (who's also an audiophile) said he's had great success with Onkyo, I decided to investigate. Your helpful response was good to hear. Thanks again.
musical is offline  
post #197 of 4725 Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

received the 3007 today and replacement for the 876.
Here some findings compared to the 876:

1) First thing is that now when you connect 5, 7 or 9 speakers they all are present in the display menu, so not like the 876 where the display shows the number of speakers in the soundtrack of DVD or BD.

2) Audyssey DSX is faster and better callibrated then Audyssey XT, it sounded better then a run on the 876.

3) PLIIZ (High speakers) realy gives a extra demention to the music.

4) At first the Reon video scaler gave some "problems" with the picture but this was du to the menu structure being a bit different then the 876, so i missed some setting at first.

5) Intenet radio works easy but loads sometimes a bit slow.

6) Abosolute NO problems concerning "clicking" problems. It will click in some cases but this is even LESS then the 876 !!

Some strange stuff with the 3007:

1) With the possiblity of Audyssey DSX (WIDE and HIGH speakers) whi not power both wide and high speaker outlets ?
Now we can use one of the two with 200 watts per channel.
Why not split the 2x 200w in 4x 100w so both wide and high can be used, the software to run it is there............

2) The Subwoofer output can be tuned down for a specific source like DVD or BD. But only DOWN, not UP, and i find this strange as i would like the woofer to be louder when i see a movie, and lower on TV.
So Onkyo, please put also +dB in that menu.

3) A great option is the use of a USB stick for music. Nice clear menu on the TV and works great. Only they put the USB on the front panel, so the lid must always be open when you use a stick.
It would be better to have the USB port on the back, not the front.

4) i do not like the tuned back remote control, i miss some buttons (for this you have to go into the menus) and the most strange missing button is a REC button......
Why is this not on the remote ?
If you want to use the remote also for your settop box with PVR how do i press REC ?


Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion.
But all in all, a GREAT receiver and a very good replacement for the 876 even the 876 is not outdated yet !!
Hopefull future updates will and can take care of some "problems".....
I have not updated my firmware/sofware yet, not sure if i need to, it runs ok now.......
It runs now on:
1071-0803-0310-6102
CBdicX is offline  
post #198 of 4725 Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Newbie
 
zgreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using 5007 for 1 month now, overall happy with the unit. The only issue so far I experienced is NET/USB hang/sleep problem, see my earlier post.

Today I finally got around to hook up HD Radio Module UP-HT1 to the Universal Port, but HD radio did not work, when I push PORT button on the unit or on the remote I see "NotSupport" sign on OSD for a few seconds. I tried to push PLAY button to switch between FM or AM modes (according UP-HT1 instructions), no response. Did anyone on this thread was able successfully use HD Radio Module ? Thanks.
zgreek is offline  
post #199 of 4725 Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

4) i do not like the tuned back remote control, i miss some buttons (for this you have to go into the menus) and the most strange missing button is a REC button......
Why is this not on the remote ?
If you want to use the remote also for your settop box with PVR how do i press REC ?

I recommend getting a Logitech remote.
Then you can have your REC button (my Harmony One has one) and can also assign functions like select ISF-modes, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, etc to direct buttons as well.
All discrete codes are not available from the start but most are in the document linked on the first page of this thread and you just get the Logitech support to add them to your device.
rickardl is offline  
post #200 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Member
 
trallala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

I recommend getting a Logitech remote.
Then you can have your REC button (my Harmony One has one) and can also assign functions like select ISF-modes, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, etc to direct buttons as well.
All discrete codes are not available from the start but most are in the document linked on the first page of this thread and you just get the Logitech support to add them to your device.

A logitech remote is probably a good idea. Still, it would be really handy figuring out another way (without actually buying a remote ) of getting remote codes to the original NRX007 remote.
For example Receiver mode(or any unused mode)\\Button 1 - 3:
Pure direct, direct, Stereo.
4-6: THX cinema, PL2 movie, THX music.
7-9: Dynamic/Dolby Volume and so on.

The cool thing is the receiver can transfer remote codes to the remote already. The bad is the transfer seems limited to brands/sets of commands. I would really like to see a sub-page in the remote menu filled with all commands much like the .XLS document in the first post.

"Make sure the remote is in learn mode and in range. Press ok on the front panel to send
D21E 50 84 Dynamic Volume(Wrap-Around Up)".

- That would really make my christmas.
trallala is offline  
post #201 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Member
 
synfinatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So originally I was planning on replacing my Onkyo 803 with an Onkyo 906, but it appears it's been discontinued and ever since then the price has gone way way up (I can get the 5007 from an authorized retailer for less then a 906!). Hence I started looking at the x007 series, but that dropped XM support.

Since my wife and I listen to a fair bit of XM radio at home and Sirus/XM still don't have their act together, I'm trying to figure out if anyone has a suggestion for hooking up an XM radio to a 3007/5007.

The only option I can find is use an XM home dock radio and plug it into one of the RCA audio inputs and would preclude decoding of XMHD content.

It would also mean no on screen display and the placement of all my AV gear is in the closet which would make choosing a station a real PITA.

Suggestions other then buying a Denon?
synfinatic is offline  
post #202 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
richardyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how come I don't see the influx of people asking for surround speaker recommendations..with 9.2 capability with DSX wide and PLIIz height speakers that can't be the same speakers(I think), we are looking at total of 11 speakers. I don't think most people are even using 7.1, so we are talking about extra 3pr of surround speakers we will need to buy to take full advantage of these X007 series receivers.
richardyc is offline  
post #203 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Member
 
mot67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a pair of Orb Audio speakers for my heights, they do the job very well and are easy to hide. For wides I would buy something tonally closer to my Dynaudio Audience 42's, but for heights the little Orbs are well up to the job, especially after Audyssey calibration. Recommended!

One thing that I'd like to know though. Does the Audyssey try to match the tone of all my speakers? I mean now that I have the Orbs, that are so much different, and probably not quite up to Dynaudio's standards.. is it trying to make the Dyn's sound like the other speakers, as I think after introducing the Orbs, the sound has become somewhat more "top heavy" and a bit thinner on the treble.
mot67 is offline  
post #204 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
yorknh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot67 View Post

I bought a pair of Orb Audio speakers for my heights, they do the job very well and are easy to hide. For wides I would buy something tonally closer to my Dynaudio Audience 42's, but for heights the little Orbs are well up to the job, especially after Audyssey calibration. Recommended!

One thing that I'd like to know though. Does the Audyssey try to match the tone of all my speakers? I mean now that I have the Orbs, that are so much different, and probably not quite up to Dynaudio's standards.. is it trying to make the Dyn's sound like the other speakers, as I think after introducing the Orbs, the sound has become somewhat more "top heavy" and a bit thinner on the treble.

I bought 2 pairs of orbs for wides and surrounds to go with my NHT setup. Maybe not ideal, but still very good. I don't think Audyssey tries to make match the sound of speakers to each other so much as it is trying to achieve a flat response in the listening area.

What do you mean by "...the sound has become somewhat more "top heavy" and a bit thinner on the treble"? What is "top heavy"?
yorknh is offline  
post #205 of 4725 Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post

how come I don't see the influx of people asking for surround speaker recommendations..with 9.2 capability with DSX wide and PLIIz height speakers that can't be the same speakers(I think), we are looking at total of 11 speakers. I don't think most people are even using 7.1, so we are talking about extra 3pr of surround speakers we will need to buy to take full advantage of these X007 series receivers.

Good question!
I have got 7 "full size" speakers all around but we might be moving soon
and I can't have these giant speakers anymore so I need some good advice
of surround speakers. I might not have room for wides but heights
might be possible so 9.1 then...
rickardl is offline  
post #206 of 4725 Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Member
 
mot67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

What do you mean by "...the sound has become somewhat more "top heavy" and a bit thinner on the treble"? What is "top heavy"?

Sorry, my english might not be so good By top heavy I mean the treble has become more dominat, especially the upper treble range, that makes the sound a bit more thinner sounding than before. It might be just the calibration though, maybe I'll run it again as last time the mic almost fell from my makeshift stand (made from dumbbell, broomstick and blu-tac ) and I had to fasten it back in the middle of calibration. That must have messed it somehow.
Before installing the ORBs I had done Audyssey for my 5.1, and when I installed the ORBs without doing Audyssey, I could barely tell the heights were there.
After I ran Audyssey again with the ORBs, the heights became alive, but at the same time the mains seemed to lose some of their "body", even when the DPLIIz or DSX were not on.
mot67 is offline  
post #207 of 4725 Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
 
yorknh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot67 View Post

Sorry, my english might not be so good By top heavy I mean the treble has become more dominat, especially the upper treble range, that makes the sound a bit more thinner sounding than before. It might be just the calibration though, maybe I'll run it again as last time the mic almost fell from my makeshift stand (made from dumbbell, broomstick and blu-tac ) and I had to fasten it back in the middle of calibration. That must have messed it somehow.
Before installing the ORBs I had done Audyssey for my 5.1, and when I installed the ORBs without doing Audyssey, I could barely tell the heights were there.
After I ran Audyssey again with the ORBs, the heights became alive, but at the same time the mains seemed to lose some of their "body", even when the DPLIIz or DSX were not on.

Ah, I understand what you mean. I think what you are describing would typically be phrased as "lacking punch" and being too "bright" but we all have our own descriptions. I personally haven't noticed anything similar. I just watched "The Dark Knight" and didn't find it to be lacking in low end impact at all. Also make sure that you are not putting you body between the mic and any of the speakers...especially the mains, because that would seriously mess up the readings.
yorknh is offline  
post #208 of 4725 Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

Seen some coments on the 3007 that its making clicking noises.
At first i did not had this "problem" with my 3007 compared to the 876 but indeed its making clicking noises from the inside of the case when switching between 2 tracks on a USB stick ! (and on ALL the tracks)
Tried it with an iPod and with the iPod no clicking sounds between tracks.
So through USB its doing someting inside the case, BUT WHAT ??

I hope Onkyo will solve these strange clicking sounds, special as they are made on the "no sound" parts, between two tracks, so can be heared easy
CBdicX is offline  
post #209 of 4725 Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Krokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Geordieland
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Hi,

Seen some coments on the 3007 that its making clicking noises.
At first i did not had this "problem" with my 3007 compared to the 876 but indeed its making clicking noises from the inside of the case when switching between 2 tracks on a USB stick ! (and on ALL the tracks)
Tried it with an iPod and with the iPod no clicking sounds between tracks.
So through USB its doing someting inside the case, BUT WHAT ??

I hope Onkyo will solve these strange clicking sounds, special as they are made on the "no sound" parts, between two tracks, so can be heared easy

USB and Network have the same problem. The Onkyo breaks the audio stream between tracks, that's why you hear the relay click. Onkyo have to make it gapless playback like Sonos, Squeezebox etc. Otherwise USB and Network playback is useless.
Krokov is offline  
post #210 of 4725 Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Member
 
_XipHiaS_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Hi,

Seen some coments on the 3007 that its making clicking noises.
At first i did not had this "problem" with my 3007 compared to the 876 but indeed its making clicking noises from the inside of the case when switching between 2 tracks on a USB stick ! (and on ALL the tracks)
Tried it with an iPod and with the iPod no clicking sounds between tracks.
So through USB its doing someting inside the case, BUT WHAT ??

I hope Onkyo will solve these strange clicking sounds, special as they are made on the "no sound" parts, between two tracks, so can be heared easy


Yep, posted it on this forum some time ago already. Hope they fix it. Annoying with live concerts.


Until now no problems showing up with the new firmware, so far so good. But hope they bring out a firmware that solves the clicking.
_XipHiaS_ is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Nr5007 145 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off