Do I need a receiver for surround sound???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need to buy a receiver to use a surround sound system? Will the surround system work without a receiver and if so what would the SS get connected to? I really need help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 AM

you need a receiver to get surround sound. all your sources (satellite, cable, ps3, bluray) would connect to the receiver. Also all your speakers would connect to your receiver, it is the hub for your whole system.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

you need a receiver to get surround sound. all your sources (satellite, cable, ps3, bluray) would connect to the receiver. Also all your speakers would connect to your receiver, it is the hub for your whole system.

Thank you.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Any advice on the best receiver for the money under $300 ?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
No, you don't need a receiver. At least not a conventional one. Your options include an all in one system referred to as a Home Theater in a Box system. Some of those do actually use a receiver, some do not. The ones that don't have a receiver use a control console(basically a receiver) that sometimes includes a DVD player or Blu Ray player in one unit. Either way they include all the basic functions of a receiver.

Another option for some is to use whats called a "soundbar". These things give you simulated suround sound without having to position speakers around your room. Sound bars come in 2 flavors: powered and passive. The passive ones will require you to use a receiver, the powered ones do not. Again, the powered soundbars will have most of the functions of a receiver such as source selection and amplification. They usually have enough inputs to be adequate for someone looking for a modest system.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

No, you don't need a receiver. At least not a conventional one. Your options include an all in one system referred to as a Home Theater in a Box system. Some of those do actually use a receiver, some do not. The ones that don't have a receiver use a control console(basically a receiver) that sometimes includes a DVD player or Blu Ray player in one unit. Either way they include all the basic functions of a receiver.

Another option for some is to use whats called a "soundbar". These things give you simulated suround sound without having to position speakers around your room. Sound bars come in 2 flavors: powered and passive. The passive ones will require you to use a receiver, the powered ones do not. Again, the powered soundbars will have most of the functions of a receiver such as source selection and amplification. They usually have enough inputs to be adequate for someone looking for a modest system.

OK, Well I just bought ,
samsung ln 46b750
sony bdp n460 blue ray
The speaker co. 5.1 surround system, I did not find a good htib so I bought seperate componets. Will the blue ray player act as my receiver like it would in a htib system or would my subwoofer included in my 5.1 system do the job?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Savvin,

You need a receiver to translate digital audio into analog speaker signals. Your Blu-Ray player has digital outputs. Your subwoofer needs an analog input.

Visit your local mass-market electronics store and get whatever the salesman recommends in your price range. He'll need to know exactly what you'll be connecting to it. Make sure it has a low-cost return-to-store policy or is available as a loaner. No matter what you get, you *will* want to get something different in a very short time. Without actually trying something, though, you won't have the personal experience to know what that should be.

Of course, everyone here will be glad to recommend their favorites.

Selden
post #8 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Savvin,

You need a receiver to translate digital audio into analog speaker signals. Your Blu-Ray player has digital outputs. Your subwoofer needs an analog input.

Visit your local mass-market electronics store and get whatever the salesman recommends in your price range. He'll need to know exactly what you'll be connecting to it. Make sure it has a low-cost return-to-store policy or is available as a loaner. No matter what you get, you *will* want to get something different in a very short time. Without actually trying something, though, you won't have the personal experience to know what that should be.

Of course, everyone here will be glad to recommend their favorites.

Just when I thought I had everything I neededl lol. Can I get a decent receiver under $300? Any suggestions?
post #9 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM

If you have access to a Best Buy store (preferably one with a Magnolia Audio inside - I'm not sure if all BB stores have that, but many seem to now) then go down and listen to a demo. It's not likely you'll be able to get one of the models from the Magnolia section of the store, but you'll get a decent idea and the salesperson can recommend something in your price range. Typically you'd be looking at models like the Denon AVR-590 or Yamaha RX-V465 in your price range.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get a Sony soundbar with the AVR built into the sub for under $300 (try Amazon). Has plenty of HDMI in and one out.

eta I see you have Speaker Co. 5.1 speakers already. A refurb HK at eBay is the way to go. And yes, you DO need an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) to control everything.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To the OP - no offense but you need to do much homework before proceeding any further. So please do yourself a big favor and go here and read the relevant articles:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...iver_Articles/

As for the best value in receivers I highly recommend the fully warranted (2 yrs) Harman Kardon refurbs sold direct at harmanaudio.com (specials) and the H/K eBay store.

"The truth is out there!"
post #12 of 12 Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by navvin1 View Post

OK, Well I just bought ,
samsung ln 46b750
sony bdp n460 blue ray
The speaker co. 5.1 surround system, I did not find a good htib so I bought seperate componets. Will the blue ray player act as my receiver like it would in a htib system or would my subwoofer included in my 5.1 system do the job?

In your case to use the speakers you have already purchased you need a receiver.

No, your Blu Ray player will not function as a receiver. It is a source device, it has no switching, pre-amp or power amp provisions. Neither will the sub-woofer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page