Integra vs. Lexicon MC-12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm hoping to find some good advice out there regarding switching from a Lexicon MC12 to an Integra product, most likely a 80.1 pre/pro, because my Lexicon lost a side channel and needs a new power supply, among other possible problems.

I'm running a Marantz dv7600 into the Lex with optical audio and component video, to a B&K av2600 for the surrounds and rears, B&K st3140 to the L R and C, and an RBH SA 400 to two subs. All speakers are Snell in-wall. I considered having the MC12 repaired, but can expect a cost of around 1200.00, which led me to shop-- especially since the older MC12's don't give me an easy runway to HD via HDMI. I have a Sharp XVZ12000 MkII projector which can do 720p or 1080i that I'm going to keep for now, but would like to bring up to its full detail by adding HDMI and a BDP.

Sound is very important to me, though I'm only using this setup for movies-- so 2CH performance doesn't mean much to me here. I have an opportunity to buy a B-Stock MC-12HD with full warranty for less than $6000.00, but I'd like to NOT spend that kind of money. Unless there's just nothing that comes close to touching it.

I'm worried I'll be disappointed with the sound from the Integra, but I'm intrigued by all of the positive reviews and chatter about the DHC 9.9. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both products?

I've also run a Lexicon DC-2 processor in that setup and was very happy with it. Until it crapped out. I'd be happy if the Integra's sound was comparable to even the DC-2.

Any advice you have for me I'd greatly appreciate. Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I doubt you'd find any significant difference, especially on digital sources, and especially for movies.I used to have a DC-2 and now have the Onkyo version of the Integra 9.8 and it sounds just dandy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dodds View Post

i doubt you'd find any significant difference, especially on digital sources, and especially for movies.i used to have a dc-2 and now have the onkyo version of the integra 9.8 and it sounds just dandy.

+1
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I might also read your book Mr. Dodds....
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlyva View Post

I'd be happy if the Integra's sound was comparable to even the DC-2.

It's 11 years since the DC-2 was released, and technology has changed the landscape quite a bit since then. Just the room correction alone in the Integra will make for an improvement over the DC-2. Even the MC-12 platform is 8 years old at this point. Besides good sound, the Integra will give you current conveniences, like HDMI. Unless you're making heavy use of the proprietary surround processing in your Lex, you'd be better off getting the Integra.

Sanjay
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

It's 11 years since the DC-2 was released, and technology has changed the landscape quite a bit since then. Just the room correction alone in the Integra will make for an improvement over the DC-2. Even the MC-12 platform is 8 years old at this point. Besides good sound, the Integra will give you current conveniences, like HDMI. Unless you're making heavy use of the proprietary surround processing in your Lex, you'd be better off getting the Integra.

+1. Owned a MC-12B myself a few years back but Sanjay's post says it all.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again. I considered an MV-5-- I like Logic 7 enough to leave it on almost all the time-- but felt the product was a little half-baked and pulled the trigger on an 80.1. I'm excited about it, and I will be adding in an Oppo BDP83 to replace, or run parallel to, the Marantz. All going in next week. I'll post back my unscientific opinions and comparisons if anyone's interested. If nothing else, I'll be having a gee-whiz-this-IS-cool SD to HD moment for the first time, and may have some decent layman's commentary on legacy high-end-high-price vs. accessible technology. Note *layman's* commentary!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page