AVS Forum banner

HK AVR 154 messing with my analog video signals?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Evil Telephone 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone! I hope you can help me out, I'm in need of guidance.

I have an HK AVR 154 attached to a 1080p LCD TV. Until a few days ago, all my components were HDMI or composite and trouble-free. The other day I decided I wanted to get my Playstation 2 out of storage and hook it up (via S-Video). I ran an S-Video line from my HK reciever to my TV and hooked the PS2 up to the reciever.

Unfortunately the picture produced by the S-Video signal while going through the HK is fully terrible. There's this weird uniform noise all over the entire picture. If I connect the Playstation 2 directly to the TV it looks fine (no noise).

I thought the AVR 154 didn't do any processing or conversion of the video signal, but it's obviously doing something. I also tried another S-Video device (a DVD player) and the noise is still there, so it's not something particular to the Playstation 2.

I've attached an image of what the noise looks like. What the picture doesn't show is the noise is in motion at all times, slowly creeping around the screen. Very strange stuff.

Any other AVR 154 users out there have this issue? Is my unit defective? Is this just some processing effect that can be turned off? Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 154, and a 146, pretty much the same units. Never had any video issues with either, except for with my DVR and that was fixed by replacing the DVR. Currently I don't have anything hooked up via S-video except for the the 146 itself, and the OSD looks fine. Cable maybe? Check it's pins. The 154 is a great receiver BTW, sounds as good as my new 254, and much better than some other brands I tried to replace it with that cost ALOT more.

#6 ·
Maybe it's my TV, but composite looks *significantly* more blurry than S-Video.

Anyway, I've called HK support and they're sending a replacement unit. When I told him even the on-screen display has noise he was sure it's a defect.

As a side note, HK's support is awesome. I was pleasantly surprised.

#7 ·
Well I got the replacement unit from HK and dang if it doesn't have the exact same issue. Now I'm really stumped. I really don't know what to try next. I figure:

1. The HK AVR 154 has some sort of S-Video filtering effect that is "enhanced" by my television and/or doesn't bother other users of this reciever.

2. The S-Video output of the AVR 154 is somehow not compatible with my TV. I'm not entirely sure how this would be possible, but right now I'm open to bizarre ideas.

3. I got another defective unit. Probably not. I doubt even I'm this unlucky.

Argg! Frustration!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Telephone /forum/post/17574204

Well I got the replacement unit from HK and dang if it doesn't have the exact same issue. Now I'm really stumped. I really don't know what to try next. I figure:

1. The HK AVR 154 has some sort of S-Video filtering effect that is "enhanced" by my television and/or doesn't bother other users of this reciever.

2. The S-Video output of the AVR 154 is somehow not compatible with my TV. I'm not entirely sure how this would be possible, but right now I'm open to bizarre ideas.

3. I got another defective unit. Probably not. I doubt even I'm this unlucky.

Argg! Frustration!

What brand/model is the TV?

Just my $0.01...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.