Denon AVR 590 speaker question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We only have 2 bookshelf speakers for now and sounds comes through them as expected when watching TV.

However, there are times where we only want the sound to come through the Panasonic Plasma speakers. Mainly when our young kids are up before us and go ahead an turn the TV on. Messing with the Denon receiver to get everything going is a little to advanced for them right now.

From time to time I have been able to get the sound just to come through the TV speakers, but I can't figure out the pattern of how we did it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
The 590 has a feature called HDMI Control which when set to ON, will allow the audio/video of HDMI sources to pass through the 590 when it is in Standby. Set the HDMI Source setting to the HDMI jack you have your cable/sat box plugged in to as most likely it is still set at the default of LAST which is why it only works sometimes for you because in the LAST setting the cable/sat box must be the LAST source selected before the 590 is placed in Standby.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 590 has a feature called HDMI Control which when set to ON, will allow the audio/video of HDMI sources to pass through the 590 when it is in Standby. Set the HDMI Source setting to the HDMI jack you have your cable/sat box plugged in to as most likely it is still set at the default of LAST which is why it only works sometimes for you because in the LAST setting the cable/sat box must be the LAST source selected before the 590 is placed in Standby.

Here's my setup:
Dishnetwork to HDMI 3 on the receiver.
Receiver HDMI to HDMI 1 on the Panny TV.

HDMI Control already set to ON
I changed HDMI source setting from Last to 3.

Turned off the receiver into standby. Turned on the TV, but still no sound through the TV speakers. Sounds works fine through the bookshelves speakers once I switch the receiver on and change to the sat/cable button.

I'm really stumped on this one.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM
585-645-1006

Get it to work with the Denon ON (ie HDMI3 source selected), then place the Denon in Standby. If that still doesn't work, change the HMDI Source back to LAST and see if it works in that configuration. Also, make sure the TV is the first component turned ON.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I can't get either configuration to work. Perhaps the AVR 590 and the Panny G10 don't play together well.

Maybe I should take a look at a different receiver to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
585-645-1006

You know it works as you've gotten it to work before. Just a matter of getting the correct settings. Try turning HDMI-CEC OFF on the Panny. Yet another option is simply running the HDMI cable straight to the Panny and an optical to the 590. No loss in audio quality and you get DD 5.1 on the 590 only when you want it (not too mention you save the 30watts it takes for HDMI Control to be ON in Standby mode).

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page