Emotiva XPA-2 now, add XPA-3 later for 5.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This forum has really taught me a lot but I am still quite a newbie, so any help is appreciated.

Just a little background. I moved my HT into the basement recently (WIP) and now want to setup a separate system in the den upstairs which will be mainly used for listening to music, at as high quality as possible. I could thus do with a simple two-channel amp like the XPA-2 (great reviews), using a simple preamp/processor since the source is going to be my lossless CDs running from a server. I am not that interested in the processor, but the new UMC-1 may be just right.

The problem is that there is also a TV in the den that we sometimes use to watch shows (the parents often do) - a Sony 46"LCD and thus there is another BD player in the room, along with the Dishnetwork box. So there will be times when a 5.1 system will be useful (and of course this is where I will end up needing a processor/preamp of some sort).

Should I just go for an XPA-5 now or instead get an XPA-2 and an XPA-3 maybe later for the times when surround is needed, keeping in mind that I want the best audio quality when listening to music. Is there is big difference between the XPA-2 and XPA-5, apart from the weight and the price of course?

I am assuming that there should be no problems running the other 3 channels and sub off the XPA-3 separately, while the XPA-2 drives the main front speakers.

At this time the cost is fortunately affordable and Emotiva has a sale on :-)

Having said that, I am not the kind of listener who can tell the difference between a $1500 amp and a $10K amp, or a $30 patch cord and a $300 one.

OH, BTW, I am currently using my nephew's Onix Refs as speakers, but will upgrade to something better for two-channel stereo. The surround speakers I haven't yet thought of.

Any help is much appreciated.

Pradeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

The main question I have is if the XPA-5 may well do the job of good stereo listening as well as 5.1 when needed.

The reason to think of the XPA-2 plus XPA-3 combo is if I went with speakers like one of the Martin Logan ESLs as the main fronts eventually (or another combo that needs a heavier amp), would the XPA-5 still be adequate?

I would rather decide now and take the plunge (while all the HT stuff is being done, it's easier to make the purchase).

Thanks for your input.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Retina,
You will have to decide what is ok and what is not. I have owned the XPA-5 and was quite pleased with the perfomance with B&W 805's. Then I moved to Aerial 9's and switched to 3-XPA1's across the front. If you think it might be a while before you need the power, I think the XPA-5 will do just fine assuming the Room is of average size, and the XPA-5 has a great resell Value. They are all on Sale right now at Emotiva. The other Question is How critical are you of the sound on 2-Channel ? These are the Questions that only you can answer. Emotiva Amps are incredible no matter what venue you have them in, you can do no wrong either way.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #4 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Glenee, thanks. I think for now I will go with the XPA-5 and see if I like the 2-channel sound from it. Currently I don't even have top level speakers in any case. Later, if needed I can move the XPA-5 out and go for the big amps.

Emotiva is tremendous value for money, but the local dealers will not talk about it at all - figures.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Until you get to the Ultra Expensive House Sounds. The Emotiva's can Hang with almost any of them.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 7.1 system, Yamaha RXV-3800, and an XPA2 powering the mains; the receiver powers the center and side/rear surrounds.
I'm VERY pleased with the results...........

However..............I'm giving serious consideration to adding the XPA5.
I chose the XPA2 as that one seems to get better reviews from users for two channel music (although the XPA5 is NO slouch).
The upcoming XPA3 sounds like it'll be another winner.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Just ordered the XPA-5 yesterday, it is already shipped! Talk about service!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM

i just got a XPA-5 connect with HK 354 and AAD vi-630 and it is a thrill to listen to this, so powerfull and rich of sound
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 PM

I have a question... perhaps a silly or dumb question.

I just purchased B&W CM9's tonight to start building my system. I will be getting the CM Centre 2, CM5's and the ASW10CM sub in the very near future.

Currently... I have a HK AVR254 and crappy FutureShop Polk Audio speakers for watching a home theatre setup (music is dismal on these... and it's painful)

I recognize this is a big step up. Before I add on to the get rears and sub, I want to know if I can connect the EMOTIVA XPA-5 to AVR254 and use the 254 solely for the purpose of having my video fed through it to my TV. I have Apple TV, Sony BluRay, and my HDTV cable box fed through the HDMI's and then the receiver has only one cable out to the TV:D. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it.

My biggest debate is this: Do i go with the XPA-5 and a separate AVR (if so... what is a good AVR), or do I go buy an AVR that is powerful enough to drive these speakers and also manage my video and processing?

All the help I get here is awesome so far!! Thanks.biggrin.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would start by upgrading your AVR. I have actually owned a HK 254 and it was a fine unit but the features that have been added the last five years to AVR's is pretty amazing. I would snag a clerance receiver like a Pioneer Elite or a Yamaha that is last year's model. Yamaha Advantage and especially Pioneer Elite receivers are known for supplying outstanding power with killer features. You can add a XPA-5 later of you feel you need a little more oomph because the majority of Elite and Advantage receivers have per-outs and are easy to add amps to later of you decide you need to. That is the direction I would go if I was you.

I would also consider a different subwoofer. B&W makes fine speakers but they just can't compete in the sub world with ID companies like SVS, Rythmik, PSA and HSU. It is perfectly acceptable to have matching brand speakers and a different brand sub. Anyway, welcome to the group:)

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #11 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I would start by upgrading your AVR. I have actually owned a HK 254 and it was a fine unit but the features that have been added the last five years to AVR's is pretty amazing. I would snag a clerance receiver like a Pioneer Elite or a Yamaha that is last year's model. Yamaha Advantage and especially Pioneer Elite receivers are known for supplying outstanding power with killer features. You can add a XPA-5 later of you feel you need a little more oomph because the majority of Elite and Advantage receivers have per-outs and are easy to add amps to later of you decide you need to. That is the direction I would go if I was you.

I would also consider a different subwoofer. B&W makes fine speakers but they just can't compete in the sub world with ID companies like SVS, Rythmik, PSA and HSU. It is perfectly acceptable to have matching brand speakers and a different brand sub. Anyway, welcome to the group:)

K5/SS Thanks for the quick response!

Does my receiver have the pre-outs already? The guy I bought my B&W CM9's from said avoid the typical Bestbuy/Futureshop receivers such as Yamaha and Pioneer. I'm not sure why he said that.... but any reason why he'd have that opinion?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yes your receiver has pre outs(please double check the back of your receiver to make sure). I am not really sure why he would say that. He was probably talking about the entry level AVR's bu Pioneer or Yamaha. The Advantage and Elite lines are both brands top tier lines. I have purchased 6 receivers within the last two years(I might have a problem) and I have also owned three Emotiva amps. If you are looking at the XPA-5, that means your budget is at least $1k, if I were buying a new receiver in that range I would probably grab a Pioneer Elite SC-72 from a brick and mortar store or a refurbished Yamaha RX-A2020 from accessories4less.com. The new DenonX4000 looks like a great unit also. I would just start reading reviews, there are many fine receivers that I haven't mentioned also but those are the ones that I thought would offer the most bang for your buck.
davewoe likes this.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yamaha Rx V3800bl Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 354 7x75w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page