Will my speakers tolerate my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

This question concerns lower-end gear than usually dealt with on this forum, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a pair of 20 year old Technics SB-S407 speakers. The specs on the sticker are "150 Watt; 8 Ohm impedence". Currently, I run them through an old Onkyo receiver. To save space, I'm looking at buying the Yamaha DRX-730. This puts out 30 Watts per channel.

So my questions are: will my speakers be underpowered? If so, what will the result be? Specifically, what is "clipping"?

I will continue to read through old threads on this subject, but, so far, they are over my head.

Many thanks -
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Your speakers are likely fine.

Clipping is when an amplifier tries to amplify a signal, and runs out of power. Rather than following the signal, the output is clipped. Imagine a sine wave signal with the rounded peaks lopped off.

Clipping causes distortion which will become audible as you increase the volume. It can also result in damage to speakers (not because of distortion, but because the average power to the speakers increases.)

My best advice is to turn the volume down when the sound quality gets worse. For example if you hear distress during loud scenes in a movie, you may be risking speaker damage.

"But this one goes up to 11"