Receiver static problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My trusty old Yamaha rxv1200 has started to make static noise out of all speakers. On any input I'll hear static out of all speakers until I press the stereo button (stereo mode works fine). Has anyone ever had any similar issues or any ideas what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

My trusty old Yamaha rxv1200 has started to make static noise out of all speakers. On any input I'll hear static out of all speakers until I press the stereo button (stereo mode works fine). Has anyone ever had any similar issues or any ideas what could be wrong?

Dusty internal contacts? Take the cover off and give that thing a good cleaning internally. Especially the contacts on all switches. A good air line with just enough pressure should do the trick. If this doesn't work you may ahve to carry to a repair shop and let them give it a good cleaning. They have the equipment to do it correctly.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Liked: 13
Sounds like the DSP(s) section is dead.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

Sounds like the DSP(s) section is dead.

Wow, could be that also. Hope not for your sake. Yamaha problably does not have the parts to cure that ill. Oh well if it is that, time to upgrade.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll take the cover off tommorrow and give her a good cleaning. If it is the dsp section this is going to be an expensive month. First computer dies now this!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a similar problem with my good old VR3100. It works fine in both stereo and DTS but in Dolby Digital I randomly hear static noise in some speakers and the sound cuts off completely more and more frequently... It's a sad thing, but after 10 years it gives me a good argument to (easily) get through WAF and go hunt down that new receiver (read "toy") with all those new audio formats and features!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

I have a similar problem with my good old VR3100. It works fine in both stereo and DTS but in Dolby Digital I randomly hear static noise in some speakers and the sound cuts off completely more and more frequently... It's a sad thing, but after 10 years it gives me a good argument to (easily) get through WAF and go hunt down that new receiver (read "toy") with all those new audio formats and features!

Your symptons sound like exactly what I'm experiencing. Sad to see this happen but I've been itching to get a new receiver with all the new audio formats and hdmi upconverting/switching.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Liked: 10
It's almost christmas time, grab that new toy for yourself.
Bet you have worked your butt off all year like the rest of us and deserve it!

Am making the same move myself and the yammy isn't even dead yet!

TRUST in your EARS!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

It must be a terrorist plot. My 10 year old Pioneer Elite VSX-36 is doing the same thing. It started a couple weeks ago and it had worked in Stereo/Direct fine but last night it started to "crackle" in the Direct mode too. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade for the new audio codecs anyways. Even the wife is behind a new purchase.

Ray
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page