Receiver with best OSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last topic on the subject is year and a half old, so I hope that there are some news on the market.
I'm looking for a receiver with a good on screen display system.
To me, a good OSD should be able to assist in all areas of receiver's functionality- display changes in volume, EQ, encoding, inputs, etc and overlay this information on top of video, including 1080P. Preferably, OSD itself should be generated in HD. I have Pioneer VSX-919, and it's OSD is very basic, I'd like to replace it. Price range is about $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The HK receivers from the 254 up and the newer line will do this. Very pretty and easy-to-use GUI. HK's also have great amp sections.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 893
there aren't many receivers besides the HK models with a really nice HD color GUI with full overlay for under $500. If you can push it to $600, the Denon AVR 2310CI is a great option, it has a fully functional GUI that can control everything and will overlay on 1080p sources.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your answers. What about Onkyo TX-SR607 or 707, Sony STR-DN1000? I tried to read their manuals, but it my questions are hard to answer without hands-on experience.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Liked: 11
the new sony DN1000 has a very complete on screen GUI but with sony's they shut down audio and video during the on screen gui. other than that they have full color GUI's but most of it is text driven screens except in speaker setup when it is fully icon driven. you can program all major functions of the sony through the on screen display. once set up all you need to do on occasion is change between what sony calls their AFD setups which can be done on the remote control by hitting one button. other than that there is no reason to ever get back in the on screen display once programmed.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'd prefer to have a GUI showing on the fly changes- like volume adjustment, input signal type, surround mode, etc. Looks like Sony doesn't do it.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 893
honestly, at that price point you are basically choosing between the HK models and the Denon 890/2310 model. There aren't any other models AFAIK that will provide GUI overlay support for "on the fly" adjustments until you get into $1000+ offerings from most mfgr's. Several brands will provide a color GUI for setup menus (like Pioneer 1019 or the Sony) but they will not have the ability to overlay it on top of HD sources (the screen will have to blank out, also potentially taking out the audio) and you will not get text info like volume or surround mode info.

I found a youtube video showing the GUI interface for the Denon 2310 model (same as the 3310 in this video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnoAN...eature=related

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page