Onkyo pr-sc5507 pro Review [technical talk only please] - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 869 Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem that has appeared recently, I just made the switch to an XLR capable amp (B&K 125.7) and am using Kimber Hero XLR's. Hooked everything up, selected XLR inputs on the Amp (little push button) and I dont get any sound (other than the RCA Subwoofer). If I use RCA out from the 5507 to RCA in on the amp it works great... I have the newest firmware and can't think of any reasons why this isn't functioning. I checked one of the XLR's with a multimeter to see if the cable was good and it was, so I am stumped as to whether the whole board is bad on the 5507 or the B&K. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 869 Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check that the amp and processor XLR pin configurations are the same. Not every manufacturer uses the same pin configuration.
post #843 of 869 Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM

Pin Outs are the same. I just ordered XLR to RCA adpaters for each end of the XLR cable to see if its the pre/pro or the amp... maybe their is a connection cable that is loose , I am going to call the service center today and investigate.
post #844 of 869 Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM

So I figured it out, I took the 5507 out of my rack and took it apart to find that the XLR daughter board wasnt even connected. I plugged in the two ribbon cables and put it back in the rack, hooked up the XLR's and BAM out came sound!!! I am glad I am technically savvy enough to have noticed this by taking the case off... that would have been a BS fix to have had to send it to a service center due to a careless QA oversight by Onkyo....
post #845 of 869 Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 AM

So who here has the wrong supposed mic with their 5507, the ACM1 instead of the ACM1H ?
post #846 of 869 Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 AM

Hello,

I've not read any forums on the 5507 for around a year since I gave up on trying to fix the ridiculously annoying and constant relay clicking of this unit. My spirit was finally broken when Onkyo said they were going to release a fix for it but the long awaited new firmware didn't make any improvement.

The problem is most apparent when used with DISH network DVRs such as the 622/722 because every time you use the skip, pause, play buttons (which happens constantly with a DVR) the Onkyo clicks loudly, often multiple times. Whenever a dolby digital audio stream disappears or reappears, the Onkyo changes relay positions. And the DISH DVRs start and stop the dolby digital audio stream every time a user pauses/skips/etc. The seemingly simple answer is that the prepro shouldn't change any relay states until it receives a new, different sound format, not upon the discontinuation of the old audio stream.

I read some posts that someone got the extra relay clicks to go away by adjusting settings in the listening mode preset screen to "Direct" but that didn't seem to change anything for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone ever found any way to improve the relay situation on the 5507? Some mysterious setting or configuration to avoid it?

Is the 5508 any different? Or does it have exactly the same design flaw?

This would have been a great prepro but it can never be better than mediocre with such a seriously annoying characteristic. As soon as someone comes out with an adequate alternative with some new feature that would be fun to have (ie justify the fact that I flushed $2K), this 5507 will be banished from my AV system and I will once again have silence from my equipment rack.
post #847 of 869 Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

5508 has the same clicks.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #848 of 869 Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

guys i've been having problems with the video freezing and getting all scrambled colorfully yet the audio keeps playing. turning the unit off and turning back on gets thinks going again. anyone ever seen this before?

it happens on all my hdmi inputs and devices passing through HDMI to the TV and outputting to my system and amps for audio. i don't have anything that doesn't use hdmi.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #849 of 869 Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Anyone have rack mount ears for the 5507 they want to sell me?

Thanks
post #850 of 869 Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for being dumb, this is probably answered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it: What is the relevant difference between the PR-SC5507 and the PR-SC5507P?

Thanks.

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #851 of 869 Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post

Sorry for being dumb, this is probably answered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it: What is the relevant difference between the PR-SC5507 and the PR-SC5507P?

Thanks.

Nothing. I think that u can only buy it with the rack mount. Otherwise the non P model would be sans-rack mount.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #852 of 869 Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

- s.west

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #853 of 869 Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Greetings,

I'm considering moving from my B&K Reference 70 to the Onkyo PR-5507, but I may have just come up to a showstopper.

I can connect an HDMI video source to my Ref 70, and that video content is then presented at both the HDMI-out and the Component-out (possibly down-converted resolution-wise, but that's not a problem).

That doesn't appear to be possible with the 5507. Am I correct in that assessment?

Again, I want to be able to duplicate the HDMI-in video content to both the HDMI-out and the Component-out on the PR-5507. Possible?

Thanks.

post #854 of 869 Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post

Greetings,

I'm considering moving from my B&K Reference 70 to the Onkyo PR-5507, but I may have just come up to a showstopper.

I can connect an HDMI video source to my Ref 70, and that video content is then presented at both the HDMI-out and the Component-out (possibly down-converted resolution-wise, but that's not a problem).

That doesn't appear to be possible with the 5507. Am I correct in that assessment?

Again, I want to be able to duplicate the HDMI-in video content to both the HDMI-out and the Component-out on the PR-5507. Possible?

Thanks.

you are correct - you cannot down-convert HDMI to any other output format per the manual. I haven't tried to verify whether the manual is correct or not but I trust that it is.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

post #855 of 869 Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you.

- s.west

post #856 of 869 Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM

hopefully some folks are still monitoring this thread.......anyways here goes. If I wanted to explore a competitor to the 5507, what is the most comparable product in both features and price? I know that it will be tough to get both cost and features but what are my options for the same features for slightly more $$$? what are my options at this price but slightly less features? I own the 5507 but i'm considering a change. Moving to a new house and I plan on using this more often than I do now and I know that the clicks will begin to annoy the hell out of me.

post #857 of 869 Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

It's been about a year since a firmware update. Is it safe to guess that we won't be seeing any firmware updates for the 5507? Are all the bugs worked out?
post #858 of 869 Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space View Post

Is it safe to guess that we won't be seeing any firmware updates for the 5507?

That is likely a very safe guess. If you go by Onkyo's past history, once a model has been discontinued you probably will see not see more anymore firmware updates for it.
post #859 of 869 Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

So much for the Audyssey improvement.

I wonder what the model 5509 will be like next year.
post #860 of 869 Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Is there a way to adjust the spk levels on the 5507 without going through the onscreen menu? Sometimes I like to adjust the levels on some movies,the Integra 9.8 I had you could adjust levels without stopping the movie. thanks
post #861 of 869 Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM
x86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Is there a way to adjust the spk levels on the 5507 without going through the onscreen menu? Sometimes I like to adjust the levels on some movies,the Integra 9.8 I had you could adjust levels without stopping the movie. thanks

Hit the Audio button on the remote (right under the d-pad), then up or down on the d-pad cycles through the various audio settings, including speaker levels per channel. Right-left adjusts the level or the setting.
post #862 of 869 Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks!! Ill try it.
post #863 of 869 Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ONKYO PR-SC5507p UPDATE

First off I want to say that our ONKYO PR-SC5507p worked flawlessly in every other area, function and aspect. Apart from the ongoing problems our ONKYO PR-SC5507p had streaming any music content via the internet, our computer or from a flash drive directly connected to the unit through either USB port, the ONKYO PR-SC5507p was the finest pre-pro we have ever had to that point.

From what I have been able to ascertain from numerous other 5507 owners, the music/audio streaming problem we perpetually experienced was a fluke and not a wide spread problem at all. To ONKYO's credit they made a valiant effort in trying to rectify the problem. Their repair facility originally spent three months trying to trouble shoot it and tried their best to locate and rectify the problem. Although they replaced the HDMI board they were unsuccessful in repairing it. After returning it a second time for the same problem the repair facility had it for almost two more months and then it was shipped from the repair facility back to ONKYO where their technicians also tried to repair it.

Yesterday (12/6/2011) I received a brand new ONKYO PR-SC5508 from ONKYO USA as a replacement. Upon hooking all of the equipment and speakers up to the new unit, the streaming music feature via the internet and our computer worked FLAWLESSLY for the first time as soon as I turned it on (I am listening to Pandora even as I am typing this and it sounds glorious!).

My wife and I are very grateful to everyone at ONKYO and elsewhere for all that they have done in our behalf and I have the utmost respect for ONKYO as a company. They have honored their word, their warranty and their commitment to customer service and customer satisfaction. It is very rare, in today's world to find an electronics company that stands behind their products and respects it's customers like ONKYO has.

I whole heartedly recommend ONKYO receivers and pre-pros (our youngest son owns the new TX-NR809 and loves it). From what I have found, they continue to be on the leading edge of A/V technology and habitually offer their customers exceptional, feature laden equipment for a reasonable price. They also provide their customers with the greatest "Bang for the buck" out there (all one has to do is read Joe Rod's reviews to see what I mean.) and most importantly: they stand behind what they sell!

As for our new ONKYO PR-SC5508; it sounds nothing short of fabulous! It is even better than the 5507p thanks to ONKYO's new Audessy MultEQ XT32 program and other refinements... Great job guys, keep up the good work!
post #864 of 869 Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Hi all,
I have been using my SC5507 for a while now and I am happy with it. For the front I use the XLR outputs to Neukomm PA18 power monoblocks which have XLR in. So far so good.
For the rears I am going from the cinch out to Piega active speakers which have cinch in. I would like to use the XLR outs for the rears as well. I have seen several posts that it is possible to do this by using an XLR to cinch adapter cable which is connected as follows:
XLR Pin 2 = Signal+ = cinch signal pin
XLR Pin 3 = Signal- = cinch shield
XLR Pin 1 = cable shield
cable shield NOT connected to cinch shield
If the SC5507 has output transformers on the XLR outs, this should work. I would not like to damage the Onkyo or the Piega speakers, so prior to trying it out, do any of you have experience in this kind of setup?
post #865 of 869 Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM

I have a 9.2 setup including front height and rear surrounds. I wish to bi amp my front three speakers. When I enter bi amp in the setup menu, I lose my rear surrounds. I do not wish to give up any of the surrounds to allow use of the bi amp setup in the main setup menu.

Can I just use a Y balanced splitter for each front balanced output to separate amps? This way I would have a separate amp for woofer and an amp for midrange/tweeters of each front.This way I would still have a 9.2 setup and would be able to bi amp the fronts. I have some unused amps so my cost to set this up would only be 3 Y splitters and some leftover speaker wire. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
post #866 of 869 Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

guys i've been having problems with the video freezing and getting all scrambled colorfully yet the audio keeps playing. turning the unit off and turning back on gets thinks going again. anyone ever seen this before?

it happens on all my hdmi inputs and devices passing through HDMI to the TV and outputting to my system and amps for audio. i don't have anything that doesn't use hdmi.

Hey Seth, did you ever figure the problem? my Integra DHC-80.2 is doing the same thing you mentioned above. When i first turn the prosessor on for the day the picture is scrambled, and audio is fine. I turn it off and on a few times and the picture comes back to normal and stays that way for the rest of the day, even if i turn it off again. The next morning it will be scrambled again. Its strange the cable seems to be fine. Any input would be awesome thanks.
post #867 of 869 Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsh View Post

Hey Seth, did you ever figure the problem? my Integra DHC-80.2 is doing the same thing you mentioned above. When i first turn the prosessor on for the day the picture is scrambled, and audio is fine. I turn it off and on a few times and the picture comes back to normal and stays that way for the rest of the day, even if i turn it off again. The next morning it will be scrambled again. Its strange the cable seems to be fine. Any input would be awesome thanks.

For anyone else experiencing this problem, resetting to factory defaults fixed this issue.
post #868 of 869 Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

l would like to see what the results are after disabling any video processing, especially scaling, that the 5507 might be doing. Can anyone here tell which 5507 Setup Menu setting(s) should be enabled to ensure that no video processing is taking place?

I have never done a firmware update on my 5507, is there good reason to do it now?

I have been enjoying my 5507 for over three years now.

Thank you!
post #869 of 869 Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM
x86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

l would like to see what the results are after disabling any video processing, especially scaling, that the 5507 might be doing. Can anyone here tell which 5507 Setup Menu setting(s) should be enabled to ensure that no video processing is taking place?

IIRC, enabling "Game Mode" disables most, if not all video processing -- with the aim of reducing lag.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page