post #31 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I have a Yamaha 863 and love the thing. Especially now that some people on here helped me get it calibrated right so that I am not over powering my speakers....

The one thing I can say that Onkyo has over the Yamaha is the room calibration. as the YPAO only does one seating position and had my speakers set at Large when it should have been small.

but I do not believe the Onkyo has the DSP settings that the yamaha does...which i actually use

Onkyos have them but not near as many. And if you do like to use those settings Yamaha is the receiver to get, especially their older models(pre-2009). I'm not a fan of the new Yamaha's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

From what I've seen Onkyo has come a long ways from the early new gen versions that many people had issues with. I mention it as a consideration.

Also, why not consider Pioneer Elite? All are great choices. I love the SQ of the Pioneer Elite.

And what about Integra? Like an Onkyo but better.

In what way is the Integra better than the Onkyo?
post #33 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I always kind of thought Integra and Onkyo were related?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #34 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I have a Yamaha 863 and love the thing. Especially now that some people on here helped me get it calibrated right so that I am not over powering my speakers....

The one thing I can say that Onkyo has over the Yamaha is the room calibration. as the YPAO only does one seating position and had my speakers set at Large when it should have been small.

but I do not believe the Onkyo has the DSP settings that the yamaha does...which i actually use

Some versions of YPAO allow multiple positions.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #35 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I hope others can give more info than me.

Integra and Onkyo share much design and are like sisters. Consider Integra to Onkyo like Pioneer Elite to Pioneer. Integra has better warranties and afaik their product integration ends up with less issues (although I have fairly limited knowledge here).
post #36 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

The Integra products are based upon Onkyo consumer products.
Basic tooling, chassis and primary circuits are the same....
Except the Integra products have the installer type features such Pre-Outs, Trigger Outs, more Zone/Source flexibility..
Also the Integra line has a longer warranty.

The Integra line is targeted to sell through the more selective installer/distributor channels. It is built at Onkyo's Malaysia factory. Also note that all of the AVR models below $1500 (SRP) are not designed by Onkyo Japan but by an outside development team in Korea which has been designing Harman/Kardon for the last 10 years...

Just my $0.01...
post #37 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The Integra products are based upon Onkyo consumer products.
Basic tooling, chassis and primary circuits are the same....
Except the Integra products have the installer type features such Pre-Outs, Trigger Outs, more Zone/Source flexibility..
Also the Integra line has a longer warranty.

The Integra line is targeted to sell through the more selective installer/distributor channels. It is built at Onkyo's Malaysia factory. Also note that all of the AVR models below $1500 (SRP) are not designed by Onkyo Japan but by an outside development team in Korea which has been designing Harman/Kardon for the last 10 years...

Just my $0.01...

Interesting to say the least..I thought Integra was quite a bit more robust then Onkyo..I guess not.
post #38 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM

I thought something may have changed over the years since I last owned Onkyo and Integra. The only noticable differences I ever found were higher price and more warranty on the Integra.
I never had an Onkyo to fail. I did have an Integra to fail and it was top of line at the time.
post #39 of 42 Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Also note that all of the AVR models below $1500 (SRP) are not designed by Onkyo Japan but by an outside development team in Korea which has been designing Harman/Kardon for the last 10 years

Links? I find this VERY hard to believe. Why then is the flagship Onkyo so much like the 3007,1007,etc??
post #40 of 42 Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 AM

Most of you are talking ancient history, units that you can't really buy new anymore. Yamaha upped the cost just to get a full power ratings to the 765, for the newbies thats 20-20k @ 8 ohms with 5 of more channels driven, which anything less would have little meaning. Onkyo on the other hand does it for there low end AVRs as well as there high end. I do not like Onkyo's DSP settings, that the yamaha does better (665 vs. 607) But to me denon (1909) sound fields (DSP) sounds best , the effects sound real, not gimmicky at first listen, the yamaha may do well with alot of tweaking, Onkyo is hopeless here. Really looking forward to hearing the newest high end yamahas when they hit retail, the low end has been a big disappointment for me, 665 what was yamaha thinking, no one would notice the downgrade, the weight loss made it to easy to figure it out.
post #41 of 42 Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM

I am trying to decide between 2 receivers to get. Onkyo TX-SR313 or Yamaha RX-373BL
Both are 5.1 channel receivers. The Onkyo has 325 watts of power and the Yamaha 500 watts of power. I have the Energy 5.1 RC Micro surround sound system. Which is better receiver. Going to be using it primarily for watching Blu-ray movies. Please respond.
post #42 of 42 Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'd get the Yamaha 373 because it has some type of room calibration whereas that Onkyo has none. Plus Onkyo's reliability over the last few years has been spotty at best.

For the price of either one of those receivers you can get refurb Denon AVR 1612 which would be a better choice than the Yamaha or Onkyo.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page