Lip Sync All Out Of Wack! is this normal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have a Yamaha RX-V565 receiver, PS3, and Samsung PN58B650.

When I watch regular TV the sync is fine. When I watch a Blu-ray the audio is a second or two ahead of the video. I have the receiver set on Straight. I am assuming this allows the audio from the BD to be played directly from the disc without being mixed. When I set the receiver to "7Ch Stereo" the sync is fine, but then the sound is the same from all speakers. I did the automatic calibration and that did not work. I also adjusted the lip sync settings and it doesnt seem to help. Last night I watched The Hangover and it was prob the worst sync issue I have had. The audio was way ahhead of the video. I was able to do a manual adjustment and it was better, but am I suppose to tweak my settings for each disc I play? Is it something with the PS3? I can get it to be close, but if it isnt in sync then it bugs me the whole time and I cant enjoy the movie? Anyone have this problem? I'm just trying to get the most out of my TV/Receiver. Thanks in advance!!!!

My Media
My Theater Setup (Pics Coming Soon!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have zero lip sync issues with the PS3 and my Yamaha. That does not mean the PS3 is working right, just wanted you to know it does not always work incorrectly.

I assume you have HDMI running through the receiver. In theory, the receiver would have no effect on HDMI. My thinking is, it has no ability to process HDMI, so there's no real way to mess it up. That's in theory.

The TV should be correct as you would think it correctly deals with it's own video delay.

Ok, but you still have a problem, so who's at fault? I guess the first experiment is to direct connect the PS3 to the TV and see what happens?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Any video processing in the signal chain (source, AVR, display) will slow down the video..

The auto lip-sync feature available in HDMI 1.3 may not work properly because of the Samsung display. Samsung besides being Korean based for some unknown reasons to me runs outside of the HDMI/HDCP certification process. Since the majority of their products are not HDMI/HDCP certified frequently they do not work well with other HDMI products such as AVRs that have an HDMI 1.3 repeater. The worst of the Samsung non-compliant products are their Blu-ray players.

Just my $0.01...
post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 92
For auto lip sync to work, doesn't the receiver and the display have to have that feature? Just wondering if they both do in this case.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

For auto lip sync to work, doesn't the receiver and the display have to have that feature? Just wondering if they both do in this case.

Correcto..
All connected HDMI 1.3 components need to have this capability, note that it was optional so a close check of each component and its features is required.

Just my $0.01..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page