I couldn't find the referenced wiredathome ps3 firmware update page so I decided to post how I did this here. This is how I updated the 765 to L034;
1) Burn the audio CD;
The RX-V565 firmware is available to download and this is the same firmware, as the firmware covers the 465/565 and 765. This can be downloaded via the yamaha-service.de site.
I used itunes on mac osx snow leopard to burn the audio
CD. There are plenty of references online for how to do this.
I copied the downloaded firmware wav file into itunes and burned cd as;
- Preferred speed 1x
- choose audio
- gap between songs none
- no sound check
- no cd text
2) Connect the optical cable between the ps3 and av4 optical input on the 765.
3) Change the PS3 settings to;
- output frequency 44.1
- bitmapping off
- dynamic normaliser off
- use optical digital
- taking all the dolby/dts etc *off* and only leaving the 2x linear PCM defaults.
(Remember to put all these settings back to normal after the update else you'll lose your surround sound!
4) Follow the instructions in the firmware update instructions pdf, making sure that, when I switched the av receiver on, that I switched it on from the physical ac plug socket. (not
the main switch on the av receiver itself)
5) Play the wav file on the PS3.
It worked fine for me from this point on, with the firmware being updated smoothly.