AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

rdgrimes,

OK. I am really baffled here. Is there any way that this Yamaha (or even most other AVR's) can be used to simply amplify the outputs of cd, dvd, or blu ray players?

I ask because many manufactures of players advertise the wonderfulness of their DAC's (wolfson xxxx, Burr-Brown yyyy, etc) and of course ask us to spend much coin on these gizmos. Are you telling me that 95% of us really have access to ONLY the AVR digital to analog capabilities under all circumstances?

I could well have misunderstood your statement above, but that is how it seems to me after reading it and giving it some thought. And, if that is the case, I've been fooling myself about capabilities for a long time.

Mike K

The multi-channel analog input will bypass digital conversions and processing. This is true of the vast majority of AVRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 630 Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All of the stereo analog inputs are converted to digital, even in pure direct mode. And yes, bass management is applied - EXCEPT in pure direct mode.

Since when? I haven't looked at the schematics of the 765, but on my 1800 stereo analog inputs don't get digitized in Pure Direct mode.

post #543 of 630 Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My configuration is shown below. I have everything running thru the HDMI ports and being output to the Samsung TV.

Using the remote I press the power on button and also use the same remote to power on the TV. After things seem to link up and the devices communicate, it quickly resets to AV1 for some reason.

From what I have gathered on this board it's likely due to othe Motorola DVR and I should bypass the AVR and connect the Motorola DVR directly to the Samsung TV with component cables?

Also will this help with being able to turn on everything (TV, Cablebox and AVR) with one button at that point?

Yamaha RX-V765
Samsung LN46B650
Onkyo SKS-HT870
Motorola DCH3416
XBox Elite
PS3

Thanks
post #544 of 630 Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfutrell View Post
My configuration is shown below. I have everything running thru the HDMI ports and being output to the Samsung TV.

Using the remote I press the power on button and also use the same remote to power on the TV. After things seem to link up and the devices communicate, it quickly resets to AV1 for some reason.

Thanks
Hi rpfutrell, most likely cause by the Samsung tv HDMI-CEC feature (AnyNet+) being turned on, try turning this to off.
post #545 of 630 Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

most likely cause by the Samsung tv HDMI-CEC feature (AnyNet+) being turned on, try turning this to off.

I tried this suggestion, but when I turn that feature off on the TV, the audio doesn't work anymore. Could I have something else configured wrong or is there another setting through which to drive the audio?
post #546 of 630 Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfutrell View Post

I tried this suggestion, but when I turn that feature off on the TV, the audio doesn't work anymore. Could I have something else configured wrong or is there another setting through which to drive the audio?

It is a problem with the tv's anynet+. I have the exact same problem. The TV *should* only tell the receiver to change input at power on when you select the tv's internal tuner so that you can hear it through the receiver. But it doesn't. It changes it every time - even when you are viewing an external source.

The only workaround I've found is to switch anynet+ off, forget about using ARC and run an optical from the tv to the receiver (which incidentally doesn't work for me as the receiver only has 2 optical inputs and they are both in use for other sources).

I don't believe there is an actual fix.

Take a look at the rx-v667 owners thread (from about page 82) if you want to read my long and unanswered discussion about this issue.
post #547 of 630 Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Everyone

I have a question pertaining to watching TV and listening to the radio at the same time while having my video input system connected via HDMI.

I have limited options with my DISH Network box, as far as connections is concerned. At this time, I have a single composite analog video line going from the DISH box to an input in the receiver. Then I have my receiver connected to my plasma via HDMI connection. This allows me to upcale and upconvert the analog signal a little bit, giving me better results than with just a connection from the DISH box straight to the TV. My problem is that a lot of times, I enjoy watching a game while listening to music on the radio or an iPod on the Dock. I have not found a way to stream the video signal through the receiver via HDMI while at the same time being able to listen to the tuner. The AVR insists in marrying the video signal input with it's assigned audio input whenever I switch the video signal.

Does anyone know of a way I can switch between the tuner or the Dock while watching a video signal being feed through the HDMI to the TV?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #548 of 630 Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Hi Everyone

I have a question pertaining to watching TV and listening to the radio at the same time while having my video input system connected via HDMI.

I have limited options with my DISH Network box, as far as connections is concerned. At this time, I have a single composite analog video line going from the DISH box to an input in the receiver. Then I have my receiver connected to my plasma via HDMI connection. This allows me to upcale and upconvert the analog signal a little bit, giving me better results than with just a connection from the DISH box straight to the TV. My problem is that a lot of times, I enjoy watching a game while listening to music on the radio or an iPod on the Dock. I have not found a way to stream the video signal through the receiver via HDMI while at the same time being able to listen to the tuner. The AVR insists in marrying the video signal input with it's assigned audio input whenever I switch the video signal.

Does anyone know of a way I can switch between the tuner or the Dock while watching a video signal being feed through the HDMI to the TV?

Thank you in advance.

Would hooking speakers to the Zone 2 outputs allow that? I am trying to figure out what I can do using Zone 2 for outdoor speakers once the pool opens up, yet still have other things going on in the house with the main setup.
post #549 of 630 Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Would hooking speakers to the Zone 2 outputs allow that? I am trying to figure out what I can do using Zone 2 for outdoor speakers once the pool opens up, yet still have other things going on in the house with the main setup.

I would think that it would use the same source audio in both zones... not sure though. I wish there was a simple way to get the radio tuner to work with the video signal going through the HDMI out without having to bypass the AVR for the video signal...

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #550 of 630 Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on integrating my Itunes library into my home audio setup. I am running the RX-V765 using Zone 1 for inside the house, and Zone 2 is running a pair of rock speakers outside by the pool. My iTunes library is on a desktop upstairs and I'm trying to be able to access that to play on Zone 1 and Zone 2.

A co-worker told me about Apple TV which will allow me to run Itunes wirelessly to my TV via a HDMI, but as you all know you can't play a HDMI source on Zone 2. Again, I want to be able to enjoy the music on both Zones although not necessarily at the same time. I do also have a laptop computer and was told I could connect that via an analog connection to my 765 to play Itunes on both Zones. However, most of my music is on the desktop upstairs. I am aware of Homesharing but hate the way it just lists your songs and doesn't give you any way to view the music files differently (by albums, etc.).

Since I am by no means an expert on this, I figured I would check in here in case there is a solution out there for me. Thanks for any input you could provide!
post #551 of 630 Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInTampa View Post

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on integrating my Itunes library into my home audio setup. I am running the RX-V765 using Zone 1 for inside the house, and Zone 2 is running a pair of rock speakers outside by the pool. My iTunes library is on a desktop upstairs and I'm trying to be able to access that to play on Zone 1 and Zone 2.

Consider a wireless audio link from the PC to stereo inputs on the AVR. I use one of THESE with pretty good results. Subject to the idiosyncrasies of wireless technology of course.
post #552 of 630 Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Consider a wireless audio link from the PC to stereo inputs on the AVR. I use one of THESE with pretty good results. Subject to the idiosyncrasies of wireless technology of course.

Thanks for showing me that option- looks like a viable solution.

I was thinking a little more about this and trying to find a way to make the Apple TV option work because I like the fact that it shows album artwork. The issue of course is that the Apple TV uses a HDMI connection which cannot be output through Zone 2 on the 765. I suppose I could run Apple TV via HDMI INPUT to the 765 and then run AUDIO OUT from my TV back in to an analog input on the 765 that could then be played on Zone 2. Does this sound correct?

I actually called Yamaha today to ask why Zone 2 has such limitations on it and I was told it has something to do with licensing rights and not wanting to provide the ability to play digital audio sources on multiple outputs. It's a shame that there is not an easier way to make this happen.
post #553 of 630 Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for showing me that option- looks like a viable solution.

I was thinking a little more about this and trying to find a way to make the Apple TV option work because I like the fact that it shows album artwork. The issue of course is that the Apple TV uses a HDMI connection which cannot be output through Zone 2 on the 765. I suppose I could run Apple TV via HDMI INPUT to the 765 and then run AUDIO OUT from my TV back in to an analog input on the 765 that could then be played on Zone 2. Does this sound correct?

I actually called Yamaha today to ask why Zone 2 has such limitations on it and I was told it has something to do with licensing rights and not wanting to provide the ability to play digital audio sources on multiple outputs. It's a shame that there is not an easier way to make this happen.

Well, I thought I'd follow up on this question I had and share my experience. I went out and got Apple TV today and came home to set it up. It works great and it is really neat to be able to access my iTunes library and control it via the Remote App on my Touch! However, I have found that the same design limitation that prohibits playing digital sources on Zone 2 of the 765 also exists in my TV- ugh! My idea was to run the Apple TV via HDMI to the input on my HDTV and then run the Monitor Out of the TV to an analog input on the 765. Well, apparently the TV will not output audio from a HDMI input source!

As I've said before, I am an AV novice but this is totally new to me. I guess the only way to be able to play the Apple TV (or any other digital source) on Zone 2 in the backyard is through the use of a speaker selector??? I am so close to having my dream setup in the backyard and just need to get this figured out! Any ideas or input?
post #554 of 630 Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Since when? I haven't looked at the schematics of the 765, but on my 1800 stereo analog inputs don't get digitized in Pure Direct mode.

Thanks kriktsemaj99,

I wonder if a similar diagram is available for the analog/digital and modes for the rx-v765 or related AVR's? Anyone run across something like?

Mike K

post #555 of 630 Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Well, I thought I'd follow up on this question I had and share my experience. I went out and got Apple TV today and came home to set it up. It works great and it is really neat to be able to access my iTunes library and control it via the Remote App on my Touch! However, I have found that the same design limitation that prohibits playing digital sources on Zone 2 of the 765 also exists in my TV- ugh! My idea was to run the Apple TV via HDMI to the input on my HDTV and then run the Monitor Out of the TV to an analog input on the 765. Well, apparently the TV will not output audio from a HDMI input source!

As I've said before, I am an AV novice but this is totally new to me. I guess the only way to be able to play the Apple TV (or any other digital source) on Zone 2 in the backyard is through the use of a speaker selector??? I am so close to having my dream setup in the backyard and just need to get this figured out! Any ideas or input?

Since the Apple TV has an optical out, you can use a converter to RCA analog. Here are two. Maybe you can find one cheaper. Beware of getting optical to digital RCA....they are cheaper but won't work.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-.../dp/B0013LWK3A

http://sewelldirect.com/SDigital-to-...FUlx5Qod2SsXgg

Here is a customer comment for the second one:

Anonymous - Worked as advertised
4/18/2011 4:50:01 PM
Pros: Small. Works

Cons: Big transformer.

Other Comments: The unit worked as advertised. Used optical from apple tv 2 but needed analog for zone 2 application. This piece worked great.
post #556 of 630 Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Ran across a question on another thread: "Once I select for bi-amp extra speakers, Does it matter which amp'd output from my Yamaha (rx-v667 in this case) Front or surround-back I connect to which pair of jacks on my speaker?" ----I paraphrase.

hmmm.

I had done just that on rx-v765 about 8 months ago. After having re-read the manual at that time, I decided that the normal SB amplified outs should go to the upper jacks (assuming that they were for the mid/tweeters), and the normal front amp'd output to the lower jacks (as the mid/bass) direct hook up. My reasoning being, generously speaking-------

from Manual: Page 64,Advanced Setup Menu
SPEAKER IMPEDANCE:
• The default setting are marked with "*."
Choices: 6QMIN/8QMIN*
Selects output impedance of this unit according to
connected speakers. When you connect 4-ohm
speakers to the FRONT jacks of the SPEAKERS
terminals, set "SP IMP." to "6QMIN." ---------------mmmm big capitol letters for the higher power req'd 4ohm speakers to be on FRONTS.

and

From SPECIFICATIONS Page 80:
AUDIO SECTION
• Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround,
Surround back
20 Hz - 20 kHz. 0.08% THD. 8 Q . .. 95 W

• Dynamic Power (IHF)
Front Speakers 8/6/4/2 Q 130/165/195/240 W

IEC Output Power IU.K., Europe. Russia and Asia models
/ Front Speakers I kHz. 0.08% THD. 8 Q 105 W

etc., etc.. Pretty much, whenever a specification is given, it is as applied to the Front Channels. I assume that is Right/Center and /Left. Leads me to suspect that the amplifier section for the fronts, especially L/R is superior to the remaining channels. Yamaha's avowal that speakers less than 8ohms may be used is only specified to the FRONT L/R channels. Even OK's down to 4ohms. More, let us say, robust?

I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say that that indicates Y's higher confidence in the frontstage amplifier circuitry, L/R for certain, than for the surrounds. Thus, if bi-amping I'd tend to favor putting the front amplified outputs to the mid/bass of the speakers, and the surround rear channel amp (now switched to bi-amp for fronts) outputs to the mid/tweeter terminal jacks on your speaker. wth, maybe it'll help!

My limited understanding is that bass/mid speaker action is a more sustained (capacitor draw-down) and ultimately more demanding power draw on the overall amplifier circuitry than what is asked of the mid/upper or tweeter coils/cones. Circuit design might seek to save a dime or two by spec'ing "good-enough" capacitors etc. in the surround and especially the surround back (notoriously under-utilized in movie audio tracks) channels to squeak-out a little margin while stepping-up a bit for the components and supporting the performance of the "standard bearing" fronts.

Any thoughts on that?

I haven’t said much to the OP on the other thread (beyond "wth, it couldn't hurt!!) but, I'd like a few of the experienced and well-informed to check my thinking on this little/inconsequential issue.

Thanks

MKard

post #557 of 630 Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
woofers/mids are DEFINITELY more power hungry than a tweeter, and if there was any difference in power output, then the highest power deilvery should be to the woofers of course. I think I would agree with you in every way on this one!

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #558 of 630 Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Just found this thread, excellent!

I have a few questions about my 765 and my overall setup. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Setup:

Yamaha RX V-765

Polk Audio Speakers
Monitor 70 x2 (front)
Monitor 60 x2 (rear)
CS20 x 1 (center)
Monitor 40 x2 (surround)
PSW10 x 2 (front and back subs)

Also running:
Epson 8100 1080p projector
PS3
Xbox 360
Directv HR24 DVR

A few questions:

Regardless of what I am doing, if I take the receiver to anything over -20db, the unit invariably shuts off. I have double checked connections for the obvious and use banana clips on the rear. The unit is almost brand new, does not seem to be hot and is well ventilated.

Any thoughts?

Any setup issue potential in the receiver that might cause this or a step I forgot? Should everything be at 8 of 6 ohm? Could the dual subs be the problem?

Also I would like to ask if this is an ideal setup? Does the 765 have enough power to drive this setup including the two subs?

And finally, any suggestions on configuration for this setup? I am far from an expert so I do not know if I should have done some setup in the 765 other than plugging in the speakers and going.
post #559 of 630 Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The subs have no impact on the amp's functions. If it's shutting down it's because of the load. Triple-check all speaker wiring and try disconnecting pairs of speakers to see if it changes.

Worst case is it's a defective unit.
post #560 of 630 Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Chargerrich,

I agree w/ rdgrimes: If all connections are clean (no extraneous wire strands etc.), I'd say that your front stage is just too much. 765 total power supply is under 600w, your fronts are minimum 30w, max over 250watts rated to each speakers 4 main drivers. That is 4 woofers-very power hungry!! They'll draw everything the Y's front amps can send and be asking for more as your gain is twisted to the right. Lots more.
Then you've got to look at your Surround L/R's. they are respectable for power also at 200w each. Between just Front L/R and Surr L/R you are already 180% of your AVR's total rated power. W/O even thinking of the center or surround rears.
If you can, get your front stage on an amp. wth, with the 765 the pre-outs are free! You won't be wasting the power available from the Yamaha, just running your S-L/R and S-Backs can take over 75% of the 765's total power supplied. 'Ya gotta leave a little juice available to the circuitry.

You'll hear the difference. If your speakers are any good at all, they will utilize the available power to increase detail and responsiveness at any given perceived "volume".

Good luck.

post #561 of 630 Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Chargerrich,

Someone can correct me, but I don't think any make or model of modern AVR will spec at anything over @ 145wpc (reasonably claimed).

Actual measurements are likely to be considerably less.

e.g. If converting a nominal 100wpc all channels driven full spectrum- to a reference SPL-most real measurements will likely come out to 40-50 watts of power at the speakers. Look up MichaelJHuman's stickys on the Amp/processor forum. I think he's got a lot of good sense going in his discussions of power.

"Your milage may Vary"

Mike K

post #562 of 630 Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich
Just found this thread, excellent!

I have a few questions about my 765 and my overall setup. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Setup:

Yamaha RX V-765

Polk Audio Speakers
Monitor 70 x2 (front)
Monitor 60 x2 (rear)
CS20 x 1 (center)
Monitor 40 x2 (surround)
PSW10 x 2 (front and back subs)

Also running:
Epson 8100 1080p projector
PS3
Xbox 360
Directv HR24 DVR

A few questions:

Regardless of what I am doing, if I take the receiver to anything over -20db, the unit invariably shuts off. I have double checked connections for the obvious and use banana clips on the rear. The unit is almost brand new, does not seem to be hot and is well ventilated.

Any thoughts?

Any setup issue potential in the receiver that might cause this or a step I forgot? Should everything be at 8 of 6 ohm? Could the dual subs be the problem?

Also I would like to ask if this is an ideal setup? Does the 765 have enough power to drive this setup including the two subs?

And finally, any suggestions on configuration for this setup? I am far from an expert so I do not know if I should have done some setup in the 765 other than plugging in the speakers and going.
I developed the same problem trying to drive 4 towers, a center, and 2 bookshelves with this receiver. It was shutting off at -10. Pretty much a similar setup to yours. I didn't have the problem driving 2 towers, a center, and 4 satellites
I ended up purchasing a upa-5 and the shutting off problem disappeared. Sounds much cleaner too.

post #563 of 630 Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Chargerrich,

You state that you pretty much just plugged it in and went for it.

If that is the case, you might well spend the 7 minutes required to run the YPAO. Letting the system set your speaker levels might help give you a little more gain w/o over driving any particular amp circuit. Balance.

I'd try that even before I looked into getting a 2 or 3 channel amp.

Good luck.

post #564 of 630 Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Hello,

I picked up an open box V765 at BB yesterday for $156 with thirty days to return and full warranty. I was able to find a remote that will function but I need a setup mic. Will any do, I have several, or do I need the specific one that came with this receiver and were can I find one? Also can I send video out from the V765 via HDMI to DVI and still use HDMI in for my sources? My old Sony 910 could not have video and audio if DVI was in the loop. Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

bguzman

post #565 of 630 Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Hello,

I picked up an open box V765 at BB yesterday for $156 with thirty days to return and full warranty. I was able to find a remote that will function but I need a setup mic. Will any do, I have several, or do I need the specific one that came with this receiver and were can I find one? Also can I send video out from the V765 via HDMI to DVI and still use HDMI in for my sources? My old Sony 910 could not have video and audio if DVI was in the loop. Your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

bguzman

You need to get the correct part number from Yamaha, the mics are not interchangeable. If one of your mics has the same part number, then fine. Otherwise you have to get the right one.

DVI displays are generally not HDCP compliant, so all bets are off.
post #566 of 630 Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

My living room projector, Optoma E1690, is HDCP compliant so it will be a matter of whether the V765 passes both or not, Sony DG910, no, Denon AVR-790, yes. I figured as much about the mic, oh well off to google.

post #567 of 630 Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Another kind'a dumb question:

Blu-ray source via HDMI, Pioneer BD-51fd source says it sends as DTS-HD Master Audio. AVR see's it as HD audio (straight only). Outputs to 5.1 channels only.

I am looking for the dialog lift from the presence speakers I just put in place. Lift/presence works on 2.0 SPDIF (via DSP) and 5.1 signals from Oppo CD/DVD. Why am I not getting the presence channels (zero sound from these two speakers) while watching Blu-ray from Pioneer?

It might be switchology on the Yamaha rx-v765, or something I've overlooked on the Pio. I can't seem to figure it.

Thanks,
Mike K

post #568 of 630 Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

From the Pioneer Thread: Quote: Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Can your receiver apply DSPs when decoding dts-MA tracks? Many cannot.

My acknowledgement on that thread...

BIslander,

Thank you. Dead on, Sir. From pg 27...
Notes
o Sound field programs are stored for each input source...
o When you play back the Dolby Digital Plus. Dolby TrueHD. DTS Express, DTS-HD Master Audio, or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio sources, sound is reproduced in straight decode mode.
o If the sampling frequency of an input source is higher than 96 kHz. this unit does not apply any sound field programs.

DRAT!!!! I really wanted to elevate dialog for movies. DVD'll work, Blu-ray won't. I'm trying to compensate for a poorly placed center (lowest shelf on rack=1.5" above hardwood floor) and that self-same center being very anemic compared to the front L/R. 3.5 drivers/.75 tweeter on CC, vs 2 x 6.5" drivers 1.0" tweets on left/right. Same brand different levels.

I imagine it'd be a lot cheaper for me to find at least a better CC choice than it would be to find an AVR with sufficient processing power to apply DSP while handling DTS-HD MA, or DD-HD HighRes. Grrrr.

Might just menu select the disk for the DD 5.1, or DTS. Maybe AVR will make up for what the low-res digital is lacking? I can certainly hear the difference between MLP lossless and both Dolby Digital and DTS via HDMI into this AVR. Might be worth a try anyways.

Or, what AVR seem to have the ability to apply sound field processing to HD-Audio? One of them high-dollar dual chip units, no? It is not just for the dialog lift (I WILL get a better CC! ), but to enhance the front stage vertically. So far it is something that I think we are enjoying, certainly with orchestral-type music from tuner or CD.

Any ideas? What am I not thinking of here?

Mike

post #569 of 630 Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

When you play back the Dolby Digital Plus. Dolby TrueHD. DTS Express, DTS-HD Master Audio, or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio sources, sound is reproduced in straight decode mode..

Any ideas? What am I not thinking of here?

Actually, the impact of 'adding' DSP to a lossless [codec] soundtrack is probably an order of magnitude greater than the difference between the lossless [codec] soundtrack and the 'fallback' lossy [codec] soundtrack on the BD...?!

Nonetheless, if you were able to decode all lossless [codec] soundtracks in the BD player, you should [then] be able to apply DSP to any resultant mch LPCM delivered to your 765 over HDMI.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #570 of 630 Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Success!

Once again the junk drawer at my local BestBuy scores big. YPAO mic and the actual Denon set up mic for my AVR-790, have been using an Onkyo equivalent. That drawer has been a treasure trove of goodness. I also found two remotes for an open box Pioneer 320, sent the extra to a fellow forum member. By the way the V765 will pass audio and video with DVI in the loop.
So far so good with the V765. Much less clutter behind than the Onkyo 603 it is replacing. I was using 5.1 analog audio out from my Samsung C6500 for lossless audio. I was able to get rid of two optical, six RCA, and a HDMI switch. Any tricks I should know in advance with YPAO? With the Denon set up all I have to say is thank you very much batpig.

bguzman

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page