post #601 of 630 Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigashep View Post

Great forum everyone. Lots of info - I have a lot to learn!

I am just setting up the receiver and system and I had a few questions I thought someone here could answer quickly. I have been searching, but it seems like I don't know enough to get started!

I hooked up my PS3 --> 765 --> HDTV (all connections via HDMI).

1. I tried setup with YPAO and all the speakers were there and seemed correct. Completed successfully.

2. I picked BR/DVD scene button (to select PS3 connection via HDMI) and played a game on the PS3 and it sounded amazing, but it seemed I had to turn the volume up a lot. But it didn't seem to have much from the SUB.

3. To play music (also through the PS3) I played an MP3 via my PC, and the 765 seemed to put everything out the fronts and nothing at all from the SUB. My son was very disappointed as he wanted to hear Thunderstruck with bass.

4. Assuming I can fix #3, if I want to play music, now I leave it on the BR/DVD scene button, and have to change all settings to make it sound good. Is there a way I can reprogram the CD scene button to take sound from the PS3 with all the settings corrected for music? Can I put a second cable from the PS3 to the CD input (optical?)? Should I buy a seperate CD player to dedicate?

Thank you thank you!!

amigashep,

Sorry, but I've not had time to check in with my subscribed forums for the last few weeks.

1st of all, I'm assuming you've got a 5.1 speaker set-up. After running YPAO, most everyone I've heard of has to go into manual speaker set-up/configure to set all speakers to small, and set crossover for SW at some value, 80 seems popular. It seems that YPAO usually sets speakers to large, which obviates re-directing bass from fronts to SW. Try it.

You can reset any of the "scene" buttons. Manual (and supplement) is pretty clear about that. I think that you can do "CD" to take the HDMI input and choose your sound processing that'll do best with your material. When inputting from a compressed digital audio source, the enhanced modes do seem to provide some benefit to the 320/460kpbs thready stuff.

Good luck.

Mkard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 630 Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i was helping my buddy out with his AVR. We ran Ypao and adjusted the levels using my radio shack spl meter, all sounded good. Played some battlefield 3 sounded great, display showed Dolby Digital. But when we put in blu ray movie, i see display showing Neo 6 cinema. Thinking why did a dsp come on.. hmm. I though it would just say Mulitchannel, since he using an older ps3 (fat ps3) I looked in manual but couldn't turn of the dsp decoder, wouldn't allow me to just have a straight audio feed... Is there any way around this? We demoed The incredible Hulk, and it just sounded off, i ended up leaving it at Standard Dsp which sounded the best to me, but still sounded odd.
post #603 of 630 Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Liked: 16
The "straight" button on the remote didn't allow the audio to pass through? They also have a "pure direct" button as well too I think.
post #604 of 630 Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post

The "straight" button on the remote didn't allow the audio to pass through? They also have a "pure direct" button as well too I think.

Nope it would go back to neo 6 cinema, or just give me the front two speakers. cant recall what it did. But it didnt work. I assume the yamaha cant decode LPCM? And would need a player that can do bitstream to display the HD codecs on the display?
post #605 of 630 Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

So i was helping my buddy out with his AVR. We ran Ypao and adjusted the levels using my radio shack spl meter, all sounded good. Played some battlefield 3 sounded great, display showed Dolby Digital. But when we put in blu ray movie, i see display showing Neo 6 cinema. Thinking why did a dsp come on.. hmm. I though it would just say Mulitchannel, since he using an older ps3 (fat ps3) I looked in manual but couldn't turn of the dsp decoder, wouldn't allow me to just have a straight audio feed... Is there any way around this? We demoed The incredible Hulk, and it just sounded off, i ended up leaving it at Standard Dsp which sounded the best to me, but still sounded odd.

I had the fat ps3 and I remember there was a problem with it passing 7.1 hd audio. I believe it was limited to 5.1 ? Anyway, make sure the settings in the ps3 are enabled to pass the correct audio. That could be the culprit.

post #606 of 630 Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

I had the fat ps3 and I remember there was a problem with it passing 7.1 hd audio. I believe it was limited to 5.1 ? Anyway, make sure the settings in the ps3 are enabled to pass the correct audio. That could be the culprit.

Yeah i made sure of that. I think it comes down to the yamaha not being able to decode LPCM from the ps3.
post #607 of 630 Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I have a 565 with no problems on the PS3 (FAT). a 565 is a less beefy 765 is all. Make sure PS3 audio settings are set right (HDMI, correct streams), and also in the Yamaha, there is an "Extended Audio" or some such setting which sets the surround mode (PLIIx, Neo, etc).

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #608 of 630 Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Hello all - I stumbled into AVS looking for info on my RX-765, specifically whether the fw upgrade Yamaha has listed on the support site will allow it to handle AAC multi-channel?

I just bought a WDTV Live and use it through my RX-765, but no audio comes through the RX-765 when the source is AAC (so far). I've read elsewhere that AAC is not supported by the 765, but was wondering if that is something that is remedied by now, or if it never will be due to the hardware limitations of the 765 at production time?

thanks for any info.
post #609 of 630 Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 AM

Hi all

I am in absolute despair! I think my Yamaha rx-v765 is in need of repair.

I turned it on a few days ago and the sub (Kef Kube2) started doing a low hum, I didn't really take much notice. But when I played music the sub sounded really awful and sounded like it was out of phase but the high and mid frequencies sounded as they were, before I noticed this problem.

So I have connected the sub to another amp and it sounds fine, the way it should be. Also when I touch the Yamaha case it feels like it isn't grounded properly and it feels like static, as though electricity is running through to my fingers.

Would this be an easy diagnoses and easy to fix? Anybody recommend a service and repair centre, preferably in the south west of england?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
post #610 of 630 Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel09 View Post

Hello all - I stumbled into AVS looking for info on my RX-765, specifically whether the fw upgrade Yamaha has listed on the support site will allow it to handle AAC multi-channel?

I just bought a WDTV Live and use it through my RX-765, but no audio comes through the RX-765 when the source is AAC (so far). I've read elsewhere that AAC is not supported by the 765, but was wondering if that is something that is remedied by now, or if it never will be due to the hardware limitations of the 765 at production time?

thanks for any info.

Hi there

I too have a WDTV Live and I have had no problems with using MKV files with AC-3 encoders, works like a charm. Is there a reason for you to not use MKV files with AC-3 encoders?
post #611 of 630 Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydinako View Post

So BC93,
Are you going to share the knowledge you acquired to solve your remote control problem? Maybe somebody out there like me is also in the same predicament!...??

Hadn't followed up with this thread, as I'd duplicated it in the Directv forum for the HR23-700. Then I got distracted for 2 years and didn't think to respond here. As I posted in the Directv forum, I ended up using the "on" code for AV1 on the Directv remote and the "off" code for AV2. Not how I'd like it, but it's worked. Most of the time, I just use the Yamaha's off/on button.
post #612 of 630 Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM

hi guys, Recently I have had to take my reciever out of the loop to get video from any hdmi source to my TV. In other wordw=s connect my bluray directy to one HDMI input on my tv. I then can get video, but no audio. It doesnt matter what the source is, Bluray player, HDDVD player, WDTVlive hub. No audio through hdmi. I am sure its a tv problem. Everything was working fine except audio until last night. Now no video through the reciever. it also doesnt register any input on reciever's disply. i have tried resetting the hdmi on the tv. No dice. Any suggestions? Have had to run anolog cable s for sound when using HDmi passthrough on reciever. Video has always worked until now. Cannot afford to update TV yet. Besides it has an excellent picture still. I also own a denon AVR-1910. I have tried this receiver also with same result. so im sure its the TV. Just thought someone here might have an idea of what to do. The TV is a KDL-S462010. Sorry left out the 46.

LIVING ROOM THEATER

TV - LG 60LA7400
RECEIVER - DENON AVR2310ci
BLURAY - SONY BDP-S790
HD-DVD - T0SHIBA HD A30
WDTV LIVE HUB
DIRECTV DVR
XBOX 360
SURROUND SPEAKERS - KLIPSCH QUINTET iii
SUB - CERWIN VEGA HT 8
post #613 of 630 Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

Nope it would go back to neo 6 cinema, or just give me the front two speakers. cant recall what it did. But it didnt work. I assume the yamaha cant decode LPCM? And would need a player that can do bitstream to display the HD codecs on the display?

Tuesday I bought a Sony bx58 Blu-ray player and hooked it up to my system, which also has an Asus O!play media player attached. The BR player went into HDMI 1 and the media player into HDMI 2. Trying to play the Master and Commander BR resulted in only having the two right and left speakers and the subwoofer showing up. After playing with the media player and then trying the BD player again French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 worked but the DTS 5.1 lossless did not. After removing the media player from the HDMI it still wouldn't work. Playing with the multitude of choices for audio on the BR didn't help either.

Finally, Wednesday I played with the settings on the Yamaha. I believe that when I finally went to the HDMI settings and removed control and switching something from AMP+TV to just AMP it worked. Now DTS works just fine for both MKVs with DTS on the media player as well as Master and Commander. I daresay looking at the Yamaha manual may have helped me a bit, but since I was just fiddling around I can't be sure. Anyways, look into that bit of the setup portion of the receiver if anyone is having problems with getting DTS to work. While the Yamaha has been awesome, the setup of course is very primitive, and I'm sure current models are much better.
(edit)
Oh yeah, success = when it says straight or pure direct and all 6 speakers are lit up -- I actually have 7 speakers but master and commander is only a 5.1 dts lossless movie.
Failure = only the fronts and sub are lit up.
post #614 of 630 Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

I have come across a bug with my 765, which involves 7.1 movies being downmixed to 5.1. It might only be with New Line titles as the bug affects the movie Se7en and Dark City. I don't have any other 7.1 titles.

When I play these movies on my 5.1 setup the surrounds are way too loud, on both titles. I would say about 5db or more and almost to the point of drowning out some of the center channel dialogue. I noticed this right away with Se7en. The music from the surrounds was a lot louder than the music in the fronts, so I knew the movie could not be mixed that way. The 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks (other languages) did not have this issue.

So what I did was I went in to the setup menu and turned on the back surrounds, even though I don't have them. When I did this, both movies sounded perfect. The surrounds now are at the proper level. It doesn't matter which of the four back surround settings I use. (1 or 2 speakers)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could test either of these two movies, if they have a 5.1 setup. Se7en is the better one to test...Particularly in chapter 4.

I use manual settings with my 765, not the auto (YAPO) settings. So I'm assuming you can change turn the back surround on even if you are in auto??
post #615 of 630 Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Hi everybody. I am the proud owner of the 765. I upgraded from the the 667 because I wanted HDMI connectivity and a one-cable connection to our LG plasma tv. It has been perfectly brilliant, I had to sort out the output issue with our fat PS3 (outputting raw pcm) and I even hooked up my Toshiba HD DVD player.
So far so good but the Xbox 360 slim we have has an odd effect when working through the 765. The display reads Dolby Digital for a while, then changes (for no discernible reason) to Dolby EX, then back to Digital, then back again. Seemingly at random intervals. The actual sound through the Mission/KEF setup still sounds great but it's a little disconcerting to see it changing back and forth like that. Has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour or is it just my odd setup?
Also, while I'm on the subject of odd things, my Xbox won't pass thru a 1080p signal to the LG via the 765. The best I can get is 1080i. Again has anyone else had this issue?
Any and all opinions on this will be most gratefully received! Thank you for your kind attention. Toodles!
post #616 of 630 Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

RX-V 765 vs OPPO -93 HD Audio Hiccups?

Hello all,
I have tried a couple of searches on this thread without any luck addressing what seems to be a problem with my "new" -93.

Over the last two months I have watched perhaps 5 movies using the Oppo, most recently "Life of Pi", and have had problems with the lossless 7.1 HDaudio. Trailers etc have no problems.

When play is selected from the disc's main menu the audio is invariably NOT including the main center and or front channels. After some panic, I have had success by going into OPPO setup, audio, and switching between LPCM and Bitstream. Doesn't seem to matter which I end up with. This has happened on 7.1 DTS-HDMaster Audio and (as I recall) on Dolby TrueHD. Titles that this occurred on: Skyfall, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, and perhaps two others that do not come to mind. Seemed to only require one audio reset at beginning except on Life of Pi, where at the ship sinking the front audio (e.g. all except effects) disappeared. The Boss (aka the wife) loudly declared that my x-mas present to myself, the OPPO, was a waste of money and needs to be sent back. Ouch. Really want to get this solved.

System is HDMI 1 out direct to display, HDMI 2 is audio to Yamaha RX-V765. L/C/R preamp outs to Adcom, LS/RS direct, FHL/FHR direct. Essentially 5.1 speakers with front heights. Yamaha is Direct or Pure Direct audio selected when input is from Oppo. Same setup except video/audio on single HDMI was fine when source was Pioneer BD-51fd.

If anyone can point to a good series of posts on this type of problem here I'd appreciate it. I kept getting lost in the weeds and following discussions that never quite got to describing this particular issue. I am crossposting this over on Yamaha thread, and if I come up short here or there I'll directly send query to OPPO.

Thanks,
Mkard

post #617 of 630 Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Mkard, I have the Oppo -103 coming soon, so I'll play around and let you know what I find out. I plan on running HDMI 1 to my Panny plasma and HDMI 2 to the 765, just like you did.
post #618 of 630 Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossrh View Post

Mkard, I have the Oppo -103 coming soon, so I'll play around and let you know what I find out. I plan on running HDMI 1 to my Panny plasma and HDMI 2 to the 765, just like you did.

crossrh,

Thanks for the response. Did you have any joy with your new OPPO and the Yamaha?

Mike K

post #619 of 630 Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Hi guys, i'm new here and have gone through the thread to no avail... hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction

I have had the v765 for over three years now and it has served me well, love the product but recently I've had two issues. My set up is as below:

Samsung LED (U55B6000) -HDMI1-> RX-v765
Samsung LED -Optical Audio-> RX-v765
TV is set as AV1

I am seeing two problems:

1. HDMI pass through which allowed me to control the 765's volume stopped working. TV is showing receiving signal from TV remote but volume is not changing on 765. Conversely 765 remote is working fine controlling TV.

2. I suddenly stopped getting sound from AV1 my TV. I have swapped a different Opical cable to no avail, I see the red light coming through the cables so there does seem to be signal but no sound is coming through. I have not made any recent changes to the set up.
post #620 of 630 Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetshadows View Post

Hi guys, i'm new here and have gone through the thread to no avail... hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction

I have had the v765 for over three years now and it has served me well, love the product but recently I've had two issues. My set up is as below:

Samsung LED (U55B6000) -HDMI1-> RX-v765
Samsung LED -Optical Audio-> RX-v765
TV is set as AV1

I am seeing two problems:

1. HDMI pass through which allowed me to control the 765's volume stopped working. TV is showing receiving signal from TV remote but volume is not changing on 765. Conversely 765 remote is working fine controlling TV.

2. I suddenly stopped getting sound from AV1 my TV. I have swapped a different Opical cable to no avail, I see the red light coming through the cables so there does seem to be signal but no sound is coming through. I have not made any recent changes to the set up.

velvetshadows,

I know nothing about your situation #1 above. My display has such a POS remote that I never thought to use it beyond the absolute minimum.

Regards #2: two suggestions, first is to take your optical from Samsung into AV4 on the 765. Reassign that audio to TV viewing. Instructions on reassigning are in your manual addendum as I recall. Second suggestion is to connect another device (cd or dvd player perhaps) optical audio into 765's AV1 and see if the issue is really the optical out from the Samung.

Good luck.

Mkard

post #621 of 630 Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Mike:

Still waiting on the Oppo 103.
post #622 of 630 Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Have you gotten your new Oppo yet?

Hope you are enjoying it, thread indicates lots of happy owners

Mike K

post #623 of 630 Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 AM

Mkard:

Got my Oppo 103. I had to change the Oppo to LPCM, from auto, in the audio set up. Otherwise, the 765 would only be in "Straight" mode, with no sound coming from the Presence speakers. Now everything works right. I'm wondering why you would choose Direct or Pure Direct for watching movies? I'm not familiar with Direct. Did you mean Straight? I've been using the "Standard" Movie Sound Field program for movies, and "7ch Stereo" for CDs.

I also ran the YPAO setup, but changed the Front speakers to "Small" and the Crossover to 80hz, like a lot of people have done. I also set the "EQ Type Select" to OFF. When I compare the sound of CDs using the 7ch Stereo with the sound using Pure Direct, I really don't like what the YPAO does to the equalization. It seems to really attenuate the higher freqs.

Hope this helps (I doubt it, but you never know.)

If anybody else has any comments/suggestions on my techniques, please post.
post #624 of 630 Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

crossrh,

Well, thanks for the update.

I appreciate the need to set OPPO to LPCM as opposed to Auto, hint showed up a few times. What had been puzzleing me was the all-but-front audio that was cropping up on 7.1 sources. Didn't make any difference what the OPPO HDMI audio was set for: LPCM/Bitstream. I just had to change from one to the other to get front channels. Weird.

Haven't had the chance to check it out recently. I'll update when I find what stupid mistake I was making.

Thanks again for giving it a go with your new system.

Mike

post #625 of 630 Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM

I am wondering what is the best program mode for normal surround mode?

Also trying to figure out what the pure direct button does. It seems when the pure direct is off, I hear somewhat equal sound from each of the 5 speakers, when its on the sound comes mainly from the center.
post #626 of 630 Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can someone please help me with a work a round? I'm getting a 3D tv and want to use my 765 with it. My blu-ray player only has 1 HDMI port so running two cables is out. Can I use a splitter and if so will I run into any issues? Can anyone recommend a splitter that will work?
post #627 of 630 Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

does your blu-ray player have a fiberoptic output? you can use that to get sound and just hook your bluray directly to the tellevision. Or conversely you can use the fiberoutlet output from the television back to the receiver and hook the blu-ray player to the television. You won't get HD-master but you will get 5.1 sound.
post #628 of 630 Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Welcome back everyone! I am the thread starter but I left this discussion after purchasing an Onkyo 809. After two and a half years, it's going to the shop for repairs (a free, out of warranty repair for a known issue). I swapped in my 765, with which I could not bear to part. I checked the web site and notice that a firmware update, L304 is available. I have the K302 firmware. Can anyone tell me what the latest firmware adds or fixes? The site doesn't say.

Cheers!
Gary
post #629 of 630 Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 PM

I can't tell you anything but could you tell me how to update the firmware? I haven't touched the firmware on my 765 at all -- and I continue to love the thing like crazy smile.gif
post #630 of 630 Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The update instructions included with the firmware tell you how to perform the update.

The main purpose of L304 was to add the ability to combine audio and video inputs in ways not supported originally (e.g. analog audio with HDMI or component video). There's a manual addendum included in the download that describes this in more detail.

They don't say what bug fixes are included in L304, but if you don't have a good reason to update it's probably best not to bother.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page