The (Un) "Official" Yamaha 765 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #631 of 650 Old 11-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sub out not working

I purchased a yamaha rx-v765 for my basement 5.1 surround sound setup and have an issue because I'm not getting any sound out of my subwoofer. What's puzzling is 1) I am getting the bass tone from the sub when I run the speaker tests (the one that goes from speaker to speaker) and 2) I have an identical receiver upstairs, and using the exact same connection that I try and fail with the basement receiver, the sub plays sound from the upstairs receiver. In other words, I try to get sound from the basement receiver to the sub using a most basic connection, an RCA cable from sub out to sub and nothing. When I connect the exact same way using the upstairs receiver, the sub plays beautifully.

I know I can just swap receivers but I actually care that I'm not getting the sub to play from the one receiver. Plus I might want to add a sub to the upstairs eventually. I bought it refurbished off ebay, so it voids yamaha's warranty, and I don't feel like paying a repair shop anything without checking all angles first. My hope is that there is a way to troubleshoot this. I'm not savvy enough to know much of this myself yet.

Any suggestions/feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 11-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
I had a similar issue with another speaker and I re-did the sound setup again with the mic and it corrected the issue.
post #633 of 650 Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You're not in Pure Direct mode, are you?
post #634 of 650 Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 AM

HDMI Issue?

Good day,

I currently have my RX765 connected to a Sony Bravia TV. The issue is when my 765 is turned on, it goes to the correct HDMI channel and shows the speaker configuration emblem on the upper right -- then when the TV turns on, the speaker configuration emblem disappears and they is no sound or picture. Any suggestions on settings?

Many thanks.
post #635 of 650 Old 12-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey Georgia,

I do have a recent Sony bravia in the house.

I seem to remember that on the Sony set-up, there is an audio section that asks audio speakers as "internal" or "external". Do you remember how you chose to set these up? Correct type of connection might be sensed by the Yamaha, but once the TV is turned-on, the presence or lack of signal on dedicated audio input type would likely drive the appropriate channels.

Good luck.

MikeK

post #636 of 650 Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
crossrh,

Well, thanks for the update.

I appreciate the need to set OPPO to LPCM as opposed to Auto, hint showed up a few times. What had been puzzleing me was the all-but-front audio that was cropping up on 7.1 sources. Didn't make any difference what the OPPO HDMI audio was set for: LPCM/Bitstream. I just had to change from one to the other to get front channels. Weird.

Haven't had the chance to check it out recently. I'll update when I find what stupid mistake I was making.

Thanks again for giving it a go with your new system.

Mike
Hey all.

Still have the venerable rx-v765. Nice sounding unit in our home. The whole HD Audio drop issue has been de-mystified !! Solved that disappearing Center Stage issue.

Whatever else was going on, an HDMI cable from OPPO to Yamaha was not doing well. Swapped out with new cable and no longer any probs, LPCM or Bitstream. Oh, may also have been a problem with HDMI input #1 (BD/DVD) on the Yamaha. I did change to input #2 along with the new cable. Plays hell with trouble-shooting, but doubling-up on solutions can get you a quicker result.

As always, much appreciation to the many persons who tried to help me understand what was going on with audio on my system. AVS is so cool.

To those to whom I gave short-shrift, I apologize. Frustration does not bring out my best. I should have responded to your stated intentions, and not to my perception of what/how you said something. I am sorry.

Regardless, a bit of joy in Mudville today. Center stage is STABLE. Video only direct to display, audio HDMI to input # 2 on Yamaha. Oh, the bliss.

Mike K

post #637 of 650 Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^

Nope.

Today, Center stage back to its old tricks. No dialogue. Blu-ray or DVD, any audio, LPCM or bitstream.

Interesting discovery, because I have Oppo video only on HDMI 1 outputting direct to display, and HDMI 2 audio channel going to input #2 on Yamaha, I was able to select audio at AVR as Audio 1, equals 2-ch analog out from OPPO. No center stage here either.

I have sent a zinger to OPPO. I don't know what is going on.

Do any of you have a guess?

post #638 of 650 Old 01-01-2015, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

OK. Serious question here.

From same source, A4Less: Which is the way to go?

Denon 4520CI "NEW" with factory 3yr warranty or Yamaha RX-A3030 "Refurb" with 1year. Exact same price.

Application: 5.1 system plus height/presence speakers. Single zone used. Possible use of airplay and/or wireless streaming. Other than that, quite conventional. The right choice allows me to send 3 x 100w of external amplification down the road via Craigslist and a Pioneer 812 (2011 year?) AVR to the same route. I'd expect to recover @ $400 total cost from those sales.

I have liked Yamaha for 10years, but I do respect the 'Made in Japan' attached to the Denon 4520.

I do not know enough to make a smart decision here and now. Your help will be read and appreciated for what it is.

Mike

post #639 of 650 Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
^^^^

Nope.

Today, Center stage back to its old tricks. No dialogue. Blu-ray or DVD, any audio, LPCM or bitstream.

Interesting discovery, because I have Oppo video only on HDMI 1 outputting direct to display, and HDMI 2 audio channel going to input #2 on Yamaha, I was able to select audio at AVR as Audio 1, equals 2-ch analog out from OPPO. No center stage here either.

I have sent a zinger to OPPO. I don't know what is going on.

Do any of you have a guess?
Just to clarify- I also checked audio output from Multi-channel L/R from OPPO into Multi-Channel L/R of Yamaha. No voice or center staged material playing pure direct. I haven't a clue.

post #640 of 650 Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM

Hello everyone. this is my first post here. i really hope someone can help me with my problem. so a friend of mine gave me his rx-v765 because it stopped working and he bought a new receiver. i found out how to check the error code. it says "PS PRT 139:H" i know that means its the power supply. i can hold down "pure direct" "tone control" and "power", then i scroll to "21-1.PS1 139H". in the service manual i found "

PS1 Normal value:
38 to 128
(Reference voltage: 3.3 V=255)

i replaced the 100uf 220V cap on the power board. i thought it was bad, but i measured it wrong. i still get the power off problem about 1 second after turning it on. i know how to use a soldering iron. i can read the data sheets, but i am new to that.if someone could help me i would be very grateful. i have the service manual, and i have been pouring over it. need some help.
post #641 of 650 Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 PM

so i just tested the pins cb333 and it is reading 8.08V. i am trying to find out what it is supposed to be in the service manual. i believe it should be 3.3v. if that is the case, where do i go from here?
post #642 of 650 Old 01-31-2015, 08:12 PM

should i start a new thread? i really could use some help.
post #643 of 650 Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Firmware

Hi
I have the 765 since 2009.
Im living in Europe and i make the mistake that i bought the reciever from US.
Here i cant listen the half of the radio stations. As u know in US the freq is like 90.1 fm and the next is 90.3 fm. In Europe after 90.1 follow 90.2
I was thinking if i can fix that with firmware update. Some uk version for example.

Do u think its possible?
post #644 of 650 Old 07-03-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 351
^ Not possible, because the firmware is exactly the same for all regions.
post #645 of 650 Old 10-30-2015, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

Could you please share L034 firmware. It is not available on the download page anymore.

Thanks
Dima
post #646 of 650 Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Purchased a mint condition RX-V765 and connected it up to my Klipsch F30 5.1 speakers (tho only have it connected to the Front L & R and the centre channel until I work out how I'm going to run the speaker wires to the rears and sub). Set the front speakers to large in the set-up for the time being and pressed play.........what a massive disappointment, any CD I put in to the Pioneer BDP-150 sounded like crap (including a SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon)

After having a Technics SC-EH60 since 1999, of which the sound was phenomenal for it's size, it leaves my new setup in the shade.

The one issue with the RX-V765 is trying to get into the advanced setup. Going by the instruction manual, which says to hold the Main Zone/On OFF and Straight buttons simultaneously until "Advanced Setup" appears on the display, of which it does then the whole unit turns off. After trying 3 times unsuccessfully, the unit won't power on until switched off and on at the wall, which I don't want to keep doing as it may damage the unit.

My Klipsch speakers are 8 ohm and the wiring and cables that the old lady gave me suggests she had it connected to small satellite or bookshelf speakers, and this is the only reason I can think of the system sounds like rubbish as I can't set the amp to 8 ohm as I've got a feeling it's set to 6 ohm. Would this setting make a difference to the sound output? I've read on some Klipsch forums that it has a massive effect.

Any info greatly appreciated

Cam
post #647 of 650 Old 11-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Too bad about the audio.
If an old lady had this unit before you, I doubt she changed the default 8 ohm to 6 ohm, unless someone smart set it up for her.
The guys at Audioholics were talking about the impedance settings on a different receiver, and their uptake was not to mess with it; it's only there to satisfy UL requirements, and that you sacrifice a lot of power by setting it to anything other than 8 ohm. They didn't say it had any effect on audio quality, just that it limited peak power.
Did you run through the Auto Setup routine with the supplied mic? I run mine, and then in the Manual Setup menu, set all speakers to small, LFE to Sub Only, check the crossover freq, and finally turn Off the EQ. I didn't like what the PEQ did to the sound quality, especially when compared to Pure Direct. (my new Denon has Audessy Multi-EQ XT, which I like much better than YPAO.)
Did you try listening in Pure Direct mode?
Did you try unplugging the unit overnight?

If all else fails, get a bigger hammer. It doesn't fix anything, but it sure feels good.

Keep us posted.
post #648 of 650 Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just picked this receiver up off of CraigsList and so far I am enjoying the results. I hope there are still enough owners active on this thread so That I might have this unique challenge answered.

The receiver drives a home theater system in a dedicated video room with a 106" screen. I have three HT recliners set up: me on the left, my wife on the right, and the dog in the middle. When I ran YPAO I put the microphone where my head is on the left recliner so that I get(hopefully) sound as if I was in the dog's chair. But of course, this isn't exactly fair to the wife and although she probably wouldn't know the difference, I would like to run a second YPAO process with the microphone located on the dog's chair, and save it as a separate YPAO set of parameters. I assume this is possible but after reading the manual and reading 8 out the 11 pages of this thread, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Can anyone help me out here. My wife may not end up knowing the difference but I'll feel better about it when she is in the room, which is about twenty to thirty per cent of the time.

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 12-06-2015 at 09:28 PM.
post #649 of 650 Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujos View Post
Hello,

Could you please share L034 firmware. It is not available on the download page anymore.

Thanks
Dima
Also looking for the firmware. Hoping it will fix a problem with my receiver having intermittent luck passing my Bluray signal to the TV (all HDMI). Thanks!
post #650 of 650 Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just thought I would pass this along to anyone still viewing this thread. Because of my experimenting with various setups trying to address the HDMI handshake issue mentioned in the last post I discovered that by bypassing the video passthru my picture improved noticeably. It would appear that the 675 has some impact on the video that is going through it. In order to test this you will need some type of switch with two outputs. One goes to your tv or projector and the other goes to the 675 for the audio.

Try it, you will like it.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver