The (Un) "Official" Yamaha 765 Thread - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #631 of 642 Unread 11-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sub out not working

I purchased a yamaha rx-v765 for my basement 5.1 surround sound setup and have an issue because I'm not getting any sound out of my subwoofer. What's puzzling is 1) I am getting the bass tone from the sub when I run the speaker tests (the one that goes from speaker to speaker) and 2) I have an identical receiver upstairs, and using the exact same connection that I try and fail with the basement receiver, the sub plays sound from the upstairs receiver. In other words, I try to get sound from the basement receiver to the sub using a most basic connection, an RCA cable from sub out to sub and nothing. When I connect the exact same way using the upstairs receiver, the sub plays beautifully.

I know I can just swap receivers but I actually care that I'm not getting the sub to play from the one receiver. Plus I might want to add a sub to the upstairs eventually. I bought it refurbished off ebay, so it voids yamaha's warranty, and I don't feel like paying a repair shop anything without checking all angles first. My hope is that there is a way to troubleshoot this. I'm not savvy enough to know much of this myself yet.

Any suggestions/feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 642 Unread 11-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
I had a similar issue with another speaker and I re-did the sound setup again with the mic and it corrected the issue.
post #633 of 642 Unread 11-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You're not in Pure Direct mode, are you?
post #634 of 642 Unread 12-17-2014, 05:25 AM

HDMI Issue?

Good day,

I currently have my RX765 connected to a Sony Bravia TV. The issue is when my 765 is turned on, it goes to the correct HDMI channel and shows the speaker configuration emblem on the upper right -- then when the TV turns on, the speaker configuration emblem disappears and they is no sound or picture. Any suggestions on settings?

Many thanks.
post #635 of 642 Unread 12-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Georgia,

I do have a recent Sony bravia in the house.

I seem to remember that on the Sony set-up, there is an audio section that asks audio speakers as "internal" or "external". Do you remember how you chose to set these up? Correct type of connection might be sensed by the Yamaha, but once the TV is turned-on, the presence or lack of signal on dedicated audio input type would likely drive the appropriate channels.

Good luck.

MikeK

post #636 of 642 Unread 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
crossrh,

Well, thanks for the update.

I appreciate the need to set OPPO to LPCM as opposed to Auto, hint showed up a few times. What had been puzzleing me was the all-but-front audio that was cropping up on 7.1 sources. Didn't make any difference what the OPPO HDMI audio was set for: LPCM/Bitstream. I just had to change from one to the other to get front channels. Weird.

Haven't had the chance to check it out recently. I'll update when I find what stupid mistake I was making.

Thanks again for giving it a go with your new system.

Mike
Hey all.

Still have the venerable rx-v765. Nice sounding unit in our home. The whole HD Audio drop issue has been de-mystified !! Solved that disappearing Center Stage issue.

Whatever else was going on, an HDMI cable from OPPO to Yamaha was not doing well. Swapped out with new cable and no longer any probs, LPCM or Bitstream. Oh, may also have been a problem with HDMI input #1 (BD/DVD) on the Yamaha. I did change to input #2 along with the new cable. Plays hell with trouble-shooting, but doubling-up on solutions can get you a quicker result.

As always, much appreciation to the many persons who tried to help me understand what was going on with audio on my system. AVS is so cool.

To those to whom I gave short-shrift, I apologize. Frustration does not bring out my best. I should have responded to your stated intentions, and not to my perception of what/how you said something. I am sorry.

Regardless, a bit of joy in Mudville today. Center stage is STABLE. Video only direct to display, audio HDMI to input # 2 on Yamaha. Oh, the bliss.

Mike K

post #637 of 642 Unread 12-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^

Nope.

Today, Center stage back to its old tricks. No dialogue. Blu-ray or DVD, any audio, LPCM or bitstream.

Interesting discovery, because I have Oppo video only on HDMI 1 outputting direct to display, and HDMI 2 audio channel going to input #2 on Yamaha, I was able to select audio at AVR as Audio 1, equals 2-ch analog out from OPPO. No center stage here either.

I have sent a zinger to OPPO. I don't know what is going on.

Do any of you have a guess?

post #638 of 642 Unread 01-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

OK. Serious question here.

From same source, A4Less: Which is the way to go?

Denon 4520CI "NEW" with factory 3yr warranty or Yamaha RX-A3030 "Refurb" with 1year. Exact same price.

Application: 5.1 system plus height/presence speakers. Single zone used. Possible use of airplay and/or wireless streaming. Other than that, quite conventional. The right choice allows me to send 3 x 100w of external amplification down the road via Craigslist and a Pioneer 812 (2011 year?) AVR to the same route. I'd expect to recover @ $400 total cost from those sales.

I have liked Yamaha for 10years, but I do respect the 'Made in Japan' attached to the Denon 4520.

I do not know enough to make a smart decision here and now. Your help will be read and appreciated for what it is.

Mike

post #639 of 642 Unread 01-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
^^^^

Nope.

Today, Center stage back to its old tricks. No dialogue. Blu-ray or DVD, any audio, LPCM or bitstream.

Interesting discovery, because I have Oppo video only on HDMI 1 outputting direct to display, and HDMI 2 audio channel going to input #2 on Yamaha, I was able to select audio at AVR as Audio 1, equals 2-ch analog out from OPPO. No center stage here either.

I have sent a zinger to OPPO. I don't know what is going on.

Do any of you have a guess?
Just to clarify- I also checked audio output from Multi-channel L/R from OPPO into Multi-Channel L/R of Yamaha. No voice or center staged material playing pure direct. I haven't a clue.

post #640 of 642 Unread 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Hello everyone. this is my first post here. i really hope someone can help me with my problem. so a friend of mine gave me his rx-v765 because it stopped working and he bought a new receiver. i found out how to check the error code. it says "PS PRT 139:H" i know that means its the power supply. i can hold down "pure direct" "tone control" and "power", then i scroll to "21-1.PS1 139H". in the service manual i found "

PS1 Normal value:
38 to 128
(Reference voltage: 3.3 V=255)

i replaced the 100uf 220V cap on the power board. i thought it was bad, but i measured it wrong. i still get the power off problem about 1 second after turning it on. i know how to use a soldering iron. i can read the data sheets, but i am new to that.if someone could help me i would be very grateful. i have the service manual, and i have been pouring over it. need some help.
post #641 of 642 Unread 01-28-2015, 06:31 PM

so i just tested the pins cb333 and it is reading 8.08V. i am trying to find out what it is supposed to be in the service manual. i believe it should be 3.3v. if that is the case, where do i go from here?
post #642 of 642 Unread 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM

should i start a new thread? i really could use some help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread