Good inexpensive autosensing amp to use with a SONOS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to drive a pair of 50watt speakers from my SONOS ZP90. The sonos does not have any kind of triggering to turn the amp on, so I'd like something that has on/off via auto-sensing the audio line-in.. I want to spend less than $200, closer to $100 if possible.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Audiosource / Rodin has a line of amps with autosense power.
The Amp-100 used to go for ~$100 but it seems they had a price increase recently.

Jeremy Gillow
Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

That one sounds good, but so help me, I can't find it in stock anyplace..
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Dayton APA150

P-E also shows they're expecting the AMP100's back in stock 12/18.

What about a $20 receiver from a local pawn shop/Craig's list/Goodwill coupled with something like a Smartstrip triggered by the Sonos?

-Brent
Old 12-12-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

That's interesting! I'm thinking about that, and Ill admit I'm not completely sure how that would work. Mainly because the only form of trigger the SONOS has is the audio line itself. As for power, the sonos draws power when playing an goes into a low power when paused, but can never be completely deprived of power because it needs a constant network connection to control it. I think I need to read more about that power strip. Thanks for the pointer!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I read the manual on the Smartstrip, and it looks like it requires a "control device" that is plugged into the "always on" outlet. In this case I guess that would be the SONOS, however in the case of this particular SONOS (ZP90), there is no built-in amp, or anything in particular that suddenly draws a lot more power when it goes into use. So I'm not confident this Smartstrip could be calibrated to use the SONOS as a trigger.

Has anyone tried the Smartstrip / SONOS ZP90 combo?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd like to get an Audiosource but looking for other options.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

funny timing- I *just* (like today) got a hold of an Audiosource AMP 100.. I haven't had a chance to connect it to the ZP90 yet, but will post back again when I do..
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM

Let me know how it goes. i am thinking about replacing my ZP100 with a ZP80 and a AMP100. I'd like to know if the AMP 100 will make much difference between that and a normal ZP100.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post

Let me know how it goes. i am thinking about replacing my ZP100 with a ZP80 and a AMP100. I'd like to know if the AMP 100 will make much difference between that and a normal ZP100.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I finally got my ZP90 hooked up to the amp100 using Cabridge Soundworks Six speakers. The Bad news is the autosensing feature basically seems worthless. I plugged the amp through a watt meter and it basically draws ~10 watts whiile driving the speakers at medium volume, as well has when it is in auto-sensed "off" mode. So unless I'm missing something about how this amp's auto sensing is supposed to work, I'd say forget it. I kind feel like I *must* be missing something, though I tried every combination of audio inputs with the toggle in the auto sensing mode...

Plus it sucks having a gigantic black box (compared to a zp120 or 100) that I have to try and hide. Also considering the quality of the material being streamed anywy, I'm starting to think there's no real reason for an amp like this over the SONOS amp. At this point I'm wishing I had just gotten the ZP120- because the amp100 basically cost me $100 anyway!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Return both and get a ZP120 no need for an extra amp, especially since the ZP 120 does 50w x2
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax View Post

I kind feel like I *must* be missing something, though I tried every combination of audio inputs with the toggle in the auto sensing mode..

It was me! It turns out the AMP100 works fine- I just wasn't waiting long enough after the sonos was paused for the AMP100 to shut itself off.. It turns out when the SONOS stops sending audio out for about 30 seconds, then the AMP100 goes into standby, and the watt meter reads < 1 watt! Then when the SONOS starts playing again the amp senses it and powers on. I've read complaints about the AMP100 turning itself off when songs had quiet portions- but mine seems to require pure silence for over 30 seconds before it will go into standby- which is GREAT!

Now I think I'll spray paint the AMP white. I've already painted the speaker cabinets white, and replaced the black grill fabric with white.. I'm happy enough now that I think I don't need the ZP120.

If I add any more zones they will be S5's.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Where did you get the unit? I'd like to get an AMP100 to put on my ZP80 for the kitchen and use my ZP100 for the bathroom as I have much more space in the kitchen than the bathroom.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Also, how is the sound compared to the onboard amp of the Sonos?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post

Also, how is the sound compared to the onboard amp of the Sonos?

I got the amp used off ebay. But I've seen it in-stock since then at J&R (www.jrmusicworld.com). I don't have a ZP120- besides the ZP90 my 4 other zones are all S5's.. That said I'm extremely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the AMP100 playing out of the ZP90. It's super clean. I'm also amazingly impressed by even consistent output of the Cambridge Soundworks Six speakers accross their full range..
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

The key to using the Amp100 with the Sonos is making sure you plug the Sonos unit into the RCA inputs for INPUT 2 on the Amp100. Before I realized this I was suffering shut off problems in quiet sections of music (as well as 3-5 second delays before sound could be heard in my speakers when I was first turning on the Sonos music).

The reason you go into input 2 is as follows: the way the Amp100 is designed, it sits idle with input 2 as the "default" active input. Input 1 serves as the "override" input, so once something is active on input 1, the unit switches to input 1. This is obviously set up this way so that the Amp100 knows what signal to give priority (Input 1) when two signals are competing at the same time.

Therefore, if you have your Sonos plugged into input 1 (whether or not you have anything plugged into input 2), there is a short delay when the Sonos comes on before the Amp100 realizes it needs to flip over to input 1. Similarly, if the song goes quiet, the Amp100 thinks input 1 has stopped and it reverts to its idle position in input 2. You end up hearing all sorts of clicking, and the music comes on and off during quiet sections as the Amp100 tries to determine where the signal is.

Drove me crazy for weeks!! Then I stumbled onto the issue/solution, after which the Amp100 worked exactly as I had hoped.

Plug your Sonos into input 2 and those delays and dropouts essentially disappear. The Amp100 is always ready and waiting for your Sonos signal on input 2.

Great amp for the $$ by the way.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM

BHPhotoVideo carries AudioSource.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Just bought one finally. I've been scouring for a good deal and got one on Amazon. Hooking it up tonight with a ZP80 and seeing how well it does against the ZP100.